CTG book ideas, favorites

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
cbollin

CTG book ideas, favorites

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Favorite CTG recommended resources?
Kim in MI wrote:Have any of you found any of the listed resources (mostly atlases, family/illustrated Bibles, etc. in the "General Resources-All Year" section in the TM) particularly useful and worth buying? A few of them are available at my library, but I wondered if any are worth having on hand at all times. Thanks in advance!

Kim in MI
Kim,

This wasn't on the CTG list, but I really like the Ray Van der Laan DVD series called That the World May Know. I think it was Faith Lessons on the Promised Land, and Faith Lessons on the Prophets and Kings of Israel. They went really well with CTG.

I didn't buy them --- my church library has them. Not quite what you asked.

--crystal

Julie in MN

CTG books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Kim,
Here is a list I made for someone. It's nothing well thought-out -- just glanced thru the year & listed things I remembered we found interesting.

But in general, I think CTG included books are just so rich that purchasing a lot of extras was sometimes overkill. And adding to reading the actual Bible -- well what can top that LOL!

Oh, and this is for teaching a 4th grade boy:

1. Stories from the Old Testament (we used weekly, all year, studying Old Testament paintings like we did with Come Look With Me)
2. Day Light, Night Light (or any optical illusions book - for book basket early in the year, ds enjoyed this)
3. The Ancient Egyptians (ds liked the pictures to visualize our studies - this book was in 4 sections at our library)
4. Gilgamesh myth (in one of the listed books or can find online - eye-opening to realize how similar other flood myths are, tho avoid the graphic parts or use children's version!)
5. Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt (1st chapter on Rosetta Stone shows how exciting it was to discover the stone & finally translate hieroglyphics; we didn't read the rest so I'm not even sure what it's about)
6. Hatshepsut, His Majesty, Herself (didn't finish, but got a good glimpse into the past in the chapters we read)
7. Bach, Getting to know the world's greatest composers (ds likes funny)
8. A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 (mom condensed & we went thru it all)
9. D'Aulaire's Myths (I thought we needed to read at least 1-2 myths)
10. Count Your Way through Greece (if you didn't read it in ECC these are always great)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

KimR

Unread post by KimR » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:50 pm

Kim- We have

- the Atlas of the Bible,
- Bible Lands,
- and The Children's Illustrated Bible. The illustrated bible isn't the one recommended in the TM. The author is Victoria Parker. It's an absolutely beautiful book with context facts, notes, a timeline and other features.

We do plan on using these books alot so I definitely feel they are worth owning (my opinion). I haven't seen the other general resource books but some of them sound like they'd be good too.

- The TM recommends The Book of Virtues in week 33. I got it out of the library to look through and found that it has several readings that go along with a lot of different subjects (mostly bible characters and stories). I ordered a copy from ebay to have on hand too.
HTH
Kim ~ Wife of Mike; Mother of Matthew (21) and Tyler (12) Currently using RTR <><

Willow

CTG book ideas

Unread post by Willow » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 pm

niki wrote:OK, we are so far ahead in our read-a-louds for CTG because my kids LOVE the Patricia St. John books. They can't get enough. I think on average I read 2-3 chapters a day (even on weekends)! Can anyone recommend any of her other books for our family? They are so sad we're about to finish our last one.

Thank you MFW for bringing these WONDERFUL books into our home. I'm passing them on to everyone I know...kids and adults. They are a treasure.
I bought two of her others -- Rainbow Garden and Secret at Pheasant Cottage. We haven't read them yet so I can't give a review.

I'm about 5 chapters away from finishing Treasures of the Snow. We are only on week 10 of CTG, but my kids love the Patricia St. John books, so we are reading way ahead of schedule!
Kris
2007/08 ECC with 1st & 4th grade dc

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:26 am

My grandmother got me all her books that were in print when I was a kid and I don't remember any of them being anything less than totally engaging. I do love her books. They are updated now but still wonderful.

Just a little heads up if you decide to read Twice Freed early instead of waiting till RTR, it does deal with slightly more mature themes (but in a very tastefully done way).
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Niki,

There are some good possible read alouds in the book basket. I remember Mira,Daughter of the Nile(6th and up) and The Golden Goblet(4th and up). I am not sure how old your kids are though. There is one later in week 18, Hittite Warrior which is recommended as a read aloud for younger kids but would be good for older as well. I can not think of any others, but there may be a few listed. Just thought that may be another resource for you.

We also loved the Patricia St. John's book. They are in my permanent collection.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

sonlitgables

A few that we've enjoyed...

Unread post by sonlitgables » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 am

Hi Niki,
Some books that correspond to the time frame in CTG are:
Tirzah (Exodus)
God King (Egyptians, Isrealites, Assyrians and Hezekiah's time)
Victory on the Wall (Nehemiah)
Adara (Naaman)

Those are just a few historical fiction novels about ancient times that we've read and still talk about. Each of these has helped to give us a frame of reference for what living conditions and customs were like in that time.
Hope this helps.
By God's Grace,
Cindy, mom of 4, ages 4 to 15
-Cindy, mom of 4, ages 4 to 15
Enjoying My Father's World
Ancient History & Literature
& Creation to the Greeks

Julie in MN

suggestions wanted for CtG

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:44 pm

my3boys wrote: I want to have a list of readers for my fifth grader. We are former Sonlighters and miss the historical fiction. So far I have chosen 'Theras and his Town','Daulaire's book of Greek Myths', 'Hittite Warrior', 'Archimedes and the door of science', 'God King'. (I'm saving 'Golden Goblet' as a read-aloud) Are there any others that you would suggest either as readers for him or as read-alouds for all? I have found this year that if I don't schedule out the reading for 9yods he just ends up not reading anything - and as far as readers go it doesn't have to be all historical fiction.
Historical fiction for the ancients isn't my forte. I'm thinking it would have to be:
- Egypt - you have that covered with Golden Goblet
- Old Testament - you have that covered with the real thing
- very few other books of literature about ancients, maybe there's a Gilgamesh version for kids, I can't remember
- Greece - you have the D'Aulaire for myths, & there's an Aesop and a Homer included in the package; you could add other versions of these, such as a bigger volume of Aesop or another version of Homer for kids?

Another option would be to go to other topics for fiction. Marie does this with the St. John books. She also provides a list of classic stories in the back of each manual. Sonlight very often has at least half of their readers unrelated to history. There is something to be said for being familiar with classic stories. My son has enjoyed mysteries at times -- Encyclopedia Brown, Hardy Boys, and such. He's also enjoyed some humor -- Homer Price, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Pippi Longstockings, Amelia Bedelia, and so on. I feel that a well-read adult should be able to understand references to these silly characters, too :o)

Julie

dhudson

Have any of you read these and what did you think?

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:09 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:I am looking into read-alouds and book basket books for CtG next year. I don't know if any of these are listed in the recommended reading list or not...I came across them and thought some of them might work. Have any of you and/or your kids read the following:

1. Tirzah By Lucille Travis
2. God King By Joanne Williamson
3. Hittite Warrior By Joanne Williamson
4. The Egypt Game (Have pre-read this and am not sure how I feel about all the pretend idol worship...still praying and pondering this one)
5. The Golden Goblet By Eloise Jarvis Mcgraw

Blessings, Charlene
[Note: See followup below]
I've read the Golden Goblet as has my oldest. It was great but if I remember correctly it some thieving and some violence. I always pre-read the books so I know what to discuss with my son. After I pre-read, I have him read a chapter and then come and discuss it with me.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Jenn in NC

Re: Have any of you read these and what did you think?

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:40 am

God King and Hittite Warrior are very good.
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:06 am

We haven't done CTG, but my oldest has read most of those when she was doing a separate study prior to MFW. I remember that Tirzah was a wonderful story.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 am

My son isn't much of a reader, but he enjoyed the Golden Goblet earlier this year. It does have some of the superstitions of the time, but other than saying that the character worries about those things, it doesn't really show them as effective or helpful to the character. There is some of the cruelty of the times, with the orphaned boy being in the care of his half-brother who abuses him & uses him for crimes. However, the "good guys" win.

Note that my son pointed out right away that the back cover was a spoiler. It tells about the conclusion of one of the main mysteries, which the book doesn't reveal until many chapters of suspense. Don't let your child read the back :)

TNLisa

Unread post by TNLisa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:46 am

Tirzah By Lucille Travis
Hittite Warrior By Joanne Williamson
The Golden Goblet By Eloise Jarvis Mcgraw

We read all three of the above and they were WONDERFUL!!
They complement CtG very nicely - and are rich with meaning. I loved them as much as the kids did!
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Loved Tirzah and Golden Goblet.

Started Egypt Game based on a homeschooling friend's recommendation. We all thought it was creepy and quit after a chapter or two.

Haven't read the others.

It sometimes is hard to find a book comprehended by a 2nd grader. I found that my 2nd child had great comprehension, but my 4th is just not "getting things" so we have to go "easy" on her. Sigh
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

CharleneHoell

MFW Reading with Older DC (Multiples)

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm

I chose to get on Christian Book Distributors and search for historical fiction books that had to do with what we were studying in CtG this year. I came up with the following for my 5th grader. I use them for independent reading time and use the book basket books as read alouds. So far he has enjoyed:

Adara
Tirzah
The Golden Goblet
God King (reading right now)
will read The Hittite Warrior later on

We also found a book at the library (not Christian, but my son loved it...very funny) called Hurbert Invents the Wheel. It was great for the Sumerian study.
Just another opinion. I hope this helps!

:) Charlene
Married to a wonderful husband for 18 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Been loving MFW for 8 years!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade

s_duguid

CTG - Tirzah

Unread post by s_duguid » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:21 am

Just wondering if anyone else out there is/has read(ing) Tirzah? My daughter is absolutely loving it. We have two chapters left and last night she looked up at me and said, "I'm so glad we can read the Bible first and then are reading this book. Isn't God so good? I can't understand why the people would not have trusted God after all He did for them?" It has really helped the Bible come alive to her, and she anticipates each chapter to see how the story unfolds in relationship to the Bible. The Bible account is really sticking.

--Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

my3boys

Re: CTG - Tirzah

Unread post by my3boys » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:54 pm

My 10yo ds just finished this book and really enjoyed it.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 am

hsmom wrote:I don't see that one listed. Is it an extra you are doing, or did I miss it? Sounds good. Who's it by? Is it a girly book, or might my (will be 10y.o. by then) ds like it when we do CTG next yr?
I came across this book and a couple of others as I was comparing curriculums, using the classical 4-yr history cycle approach. I researched it a little more and then purchased it at my homeschool convention.

We decided to use it as an extra read-aloud to enhance our Bible/History time. Personally, I think it is appropriate for grades 4+ and could be used as a reader. My daughter wanted to share it between the two of us.

It is written by Lucille Travis. It should engage both boys and girls.

HTH,
Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

We read it as an extra read-aloud when we did CTG last year. My kids liked it. It does bring to life the struggles and doubts the Israelites would have had in the desert.

Julie in MN

how hard would it be to add AmblesideOnline to MFW?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

AnniAm wrote:I had planned on using Ambleside Online with my 7 and 11 year olds. I have several of the books but trying to schedule it all is too confusing. I've decided to use MFW Creation to Greeks but I'd like to use "An Island Story", "Fifty Famous Stories Retold" and "A Child's History of the World". Do you think that is possible to add those books or would it be too much reading? My almost 11 year old is a very strong reader.

Thanks! Hope someone can help!
There is read-aloud time scheduled, and independent reading scheduled, and book basket time scheduled. All of those are very flexible and you can add in your own selections or use the recommendations in the manual.

Since there isn't a lot of appropriate literature about the earliest history, it's especially easy to add in whatever you would like during CTG. Even the MFW read-alouds are more about character than about history that year. And a strong reader will have time for lots of good reading material during daily independent reading. You might just save "book basket time" for the books more connected to history or science or composers and such that you are studying.

However, if you are trying to correlate the history in CTG with those Ambleside books, I think An Island Story would go better with RTR, since Britain didn't exist during the time of CTG. And I would imagine that only small bits of the other two would actually correlate with the CTG time period, and the majority of each of them would correlate with RTR or even EX1850.

Julie

Julie in MN

CTG book basket

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:36 am

Amy C. wrote:We have ordered and received this next year's CTG for my older two ds. Wow! Looks great! We are so excited!

As I suspected, the library does not have a lot of the recommended book basket books. I did notice other books that I could probably substitute for some of the subjects and will look at those.

My question, though, is did any of you buy some of the * books, the highly recommended books. If so, which ones would you consider the most important ones to look into buying. I don't know that we can buy a lot of them, but if there are those that are "must haves", I could look into it. I am thinking along the lines of some of the * books that are repeatedly listed throughout the year, like "The Family Treasury of Jewish Holidays" and "Milk and Honey: A Year of Jewish Holidays". And maybe any of the books from the OT Stories Information and General OT Information lists. For those who have used CTG, could you give me any recommendations on this?

Thanks in advance!
Amy C.
I remember racking my brain to come up with a few from time to time:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 095#p11236
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6616

At our house, we didn't use book basket in CTG the same way we did in ECC. We used several videos and some picture books, but my son didn't think much else measured up to the real Bible that year :)

I often put a range of other things in book basket, from science topics to composers to just general boy stuff ;) I hope others with voracious readers will continue to build a list of suggestions for folks like you.
Julie

Amy C.

Re: CTG book basket

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for your replies! My church has a small library. I did not even think to check there until I read one of the links that Julie sent. I guess I forget about it sometimes. &)

I will check around with our homeschool group and used book stores to see what they have. Your replies (and links) have been helpful to know which ones to really look for.
doubleportion wrote:BTW- if this is your first year with MFW take note of the age perameters on some books. There were some like the Hittite Warrior etc that would be great if you have older kids, but would not be good in our house with my very young 4th grader.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 4th grader and 6th grader (along with a 1st grader and baby boy due in Sept.) this next year. This will be our 2nd year with MFW. I am glad they give a description of the books, including recommended ages. That is very helpful.

Thanks, again! Your replies have been helpful! :)

Amy C.

RB

Unread post by RB » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm

We have purchased a few book basket books for CtG next year, though I must confess to having a pretty good ILL system as well. There are always a few weeks that we can't get to the library (sickness, busy), so I like having some books to draw from at home. Here are some things I did:

-Went through our shelves at home and pulled out anything that had any connection to Ancient History, including Bible story books, Book of Virtues, etc. and tucked those away so they will be "fresh"

-Made a very big wish list based on the book basket lists (and a few from other catalogs and lists)...things that jumped out as being a good fit for my kids ages, interests and such. All of the starred book basket books went on this list. A couple of "General Resources" went on the list, too, so they could be used at any time. Then I checked our library online catalog and crossed off any that we could get.

-Set a budget for what we could spend on supplemental resources, discussing this with dh. The list got shorter.

-Ordered about 10-12 books. When they arrived (from 3 sources) I let my kids look at them for 15 minutes and then I hid them :) We did the same with out CtG box. It really got them excited for next year.

Here are a few from our list:
True Story of Noah's Ark
Dk Illustrated Bible
Bible lands
Family Treasury of Jewish holidays (OOP)
Boy of the Pyramids
Tirzah
some Jim Weiss CDs

Hope you enjoy the process of finding some great resources for your family :)
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 am

We bought most of the starred books on the list, but in hindsight I don't think that they were all necessary.

What we used most was "A Family Treasury of Jewish Holidays", a general book of Greek myths, and a readers package from another Ancients program (for my 11yo). If you think you'll have trouble finding science resources, a really good science encyclopedia would do the trick. If you don't care if your kid's readers are on ancients you could just pick off the list of classics at the back of your IG - they are sure to have lots of those even in a small library. My ds likes the internet links from the Usborne books and has found lots of good info by using those. Also netflix has lots of documentaries, so that might be a good investment as well.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

CharleneHoell

Readers (esp. for CTG)

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:51 pm

my3sons wrote:Does anyone have any great books they could recommend for a 4th grader, reading at or slightly above grade level? If there are such books out there that would go along with CTG, that would be great, but I will take any recommendations!
Hi,
We just finished CtG this year. I had done some extensive research and bought the following. You may want to check these titles out for your son.

Tirzah
Adara
The God King
The Hittite Warrior

The last two are a bit heavy in terms of reading level, but my oldest was in 5th grade last year and enjoyed them. Hope this helps!
:) Charlene
Married to a wonderful husband for 18 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Been loving MFW for 8 years!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade