RTR book ideas

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
LSH in MS

RTR book ideas

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:53 pm

Favorites from Rome to Reformation
mama9times wrote:I'm looking ahead to next year. I've purchased the RTR basic package along with a few items from the deluxe package. I was looking in the back of the TM at the book basket suggestions and I was wondering if any of you would reccomend buying any of them. I see that Famous Men of Rome is used quite a bit. Are there any other books you bought or wish you had bought? I did buy the Read Aloud Set. Thanks!
I bought the Famous Men of Rome as well as the readers I wanted my children to read during independent reading time. For my age dc these included A Triumph for Flavius, Detectives in Togas, Mystery of the Roman Ransom, Beowulf, Augustine Came to Kent

I also bought some of the Jim Weiss Cds that we really like because our library didn't have them. Jewish Stories, (or is it Holidays) Robin Hood, Arabian Nights, King Arthur and His Knights and Shakespeare for Children. I got everything at Rainbow Resource.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:48 pm

I bought Famous Men of Rome, the G.A. Henty books for that time period, Beowulf, and a couple of other Bethlehem Books from that time period.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

hollyjay

Unread post by hollyjay » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:30 pm

We also bought Famous Men of Rome and some of the Bethlehem books too.

Another one I've purchased is The World of Christopher Columbus by Genevieve Foster. It is listed for week 24 saying that it compliments the history studies for the rest of the year. I figured it would also compliment the beginning of next year's as well so it would be a worthwhile purchase.
Holly Isaac,
wife of Jason (20 yrs),
mom of Allison (17), Kirsten (14) & Heather (12)

Homeschooling with MFW since 2004. We've used ECC through 1850-Mod Times.

Julie in MN

Sample?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Quiver0f10 wrote:I was wondering if someone could post a sample of the book basket recommendations that would go with the 2 sample pages for RtR on the MFW web site? Thanks!
Hi Jean,
The copyrights don't allow us to do that. You could ask at the office, but the answer might be the same, I'm not sure.

Here are a few things that might help.

- There are some posts about RTR "book basket" in the RTR archives. Maybe those will give you a general overview? http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=12
I think a few of us shared some of our favorites here, too: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2845

- You can find the specific topics likely to be included in sample weeks 17-18 by going to the RTR samples & looking at the topics on the very top line of each grid. Things like Beowolf and Vikings -- those will be topics in book basket.

- Also look at the art & music topics (Mozart, illumination, etc.). There will probably be small groups of book basket recommendations on those topics.

- I should mention that some book basket items would not be found under weeks 17-18, even if we could share that. Several topics may have been introduced during an earlier week (such as Mozart books listed the first week that you study Mozart).

- Along the same lines, RTR in particular had a lot of book basket items that applied to a large portion of the year, so those would be listed at the beginning or the first time the topic came up. I am thinking of several DVD sets that my husband and I watched as we prepared for RTR (Christianity's first 1000 years was one, I think), or overall reference books that I used over many weeks.

Does that help give a picture?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

RtR resources question

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:43 am

TNLisa wrote:Has anyone supplemented RtR with the Story of the World activity book?
What about extra reading such as The Hobbit, Beowolf, Robin Hood?
I'll have a 5th grade dd when we do RtR in the fall. Thanks!!
I did add some books to RTR for my oldest as he loves to read but it seemed to me that RTR was pretty thorough so we didn't add the SOTW activity book although we bought several sets of wooden blocks designed so that you could build Roman arches, medieval castles and so forth. My dh is is a collector of anything Roman so we had A LOT of Rome extras.

The Hobbit was great [recommended in the General Reading List for fifth graders and up in the back of the TM], I think my son read the Chronicles of Narnia that year, a version of Robin Hood, Detective in Togas (there's another book as well that I can't remember the name of by this author), The Shakespeare Stealer and then many of the book basket books. We loved the Medieval Night and the dinner at the Monastery night. We also had a big Roman feast with a group of friends which was so fun. Building the Medieval Castle was fun but really time consuming ( although the kids are still playing with it) and learning how to play chess was great. I think what I am basically saying is that there are tons of great activities in RTR so I wouldn't add much.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

4Truth

Re: RtR resources question

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:49 am

Agreeing with Dawn, I don't recall The Hobbit being part of Book Basket [it's one of the listed "classics"], but Robin Hood and Beowulf were. Don't buy too many extras in advance, because you'll see once you have your manual just how much additional literature is in there. It's also very rich with activities.

I just had my oldest dd read an abridged version of Beowulf, and I'm glad now because I see that Beowulf is included in year 2 of high school.

Postby 4Truth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 pm
The Narnia series wouldn't be history related during RTR, either. That would be WW 2 era. It's a little deceiving because the "theme" once they're actually IN the land of Narnia seems more Middle Ages/Renaissance. However, the story takes place during WW 2. (Just an FYI for anyone who's reading and wondering. ;) )
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

HSmommi2mine

Re: RtR resources question

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:25 pm

I occasionally pull some coloring pages from the AG (since I already own it) and I use some of the review questions and that kind of thing. Most of the time the activities scheduled into MFW are just right for us.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

Pylegang

RTR book ideas

Unread post by Pylegang » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 pm

hsmomto3 wrote:The Roman Mysteries, by Caroline Lawrence

Anybody know anything about this series? I just came across it looking for books in our library catalog..

Debbie
We're currently reading it as a read aloud. My kids and I are thoroughly enjoying it. The books in this series take place in 79 A.D. during the times of Ancient Rome. The stories are interesting, fast paced, and absorbing. They also bring out historical events and details nicely. FYI--Veritas Press sells and recommends these books.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

Lainie

Library Resources for Rome to Reformation

Unread post by Lainie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:44 pm

This is just an FYI post...

Because some of the books are used for more than one or two weeks and because we will cycle back through RtR (should the Lord tarry) in five years, we decided to go ahead and order the asterisked books we are "missing."

This is just an FYI for those doing RtR that I put the books into a "widget" in my blog sidebars so they are fast and easy to find should you want to own these books too.

We haven't been disappointed by one of Marie's recommendations yet :) and boy do we love book basket!
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

MelissaM

? about Books (for personal reading) for RtR

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:52 am

ncmom2boys wrote:I've just place my order for MFW RtR. I am so excited! (I just cannot tell you how excited I am to be returning to MFW and wish I hadn't left!!)

I was reading through older threads where several of you suggested additional books too have on hand for RtR. (My boys are 5th/6th grade levels.) I saw suggestions for Famous Men of Rome and several others. I wonder though if you would add your suggestions here so that it'll be in one place so that I can determine if my library has some of these or if I can make the purchase to have the books you recommend most.

I have one son who loves to read and one who likes to read when it interest him. ;) So, please advise! My younger has read Robin Hood and the like already this year.....

And, of course, it would be nice not to have to read each book before I hand them to my children. Please make me aware of any inappropriate content.
re: Famous Men of Rome, I'm almost positive you can get that for free on mainlesson dot com. You may even be able to get a free audio version on librivox dot org. I love it when someone else does the reading once in a while!

:)
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Julie in MN

Re: ? about Books (for personal reading) for RtR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 pm

You've probably read these, but it was fresher in my mind when I posted:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 973#p15973

More recently, my son has read A Single Shard and really enjoyed it (early Korea), so I'd add that one for a boy who likes to read.

I also would get Kingdom Tales for RTR, if you haven't read it already. The MFW version is far cheaper than the hardcovers, and MFW adds nice discussion questions at the end of each chapter.

I agree with looking over the Famous Men online for free. I found my kids didn't like those stories if they were too young or too old, although there was a window of time around 7th grade I think when my son enjoyed several of them. It's nice when a resource can be used throughout the year.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

s_duguid

RTR "extras"

Unread post by s_duguid » Fri May 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Kelly1730 wrote:Okay, if you read my last post you knew this was coming;) We finished CTG today :-) and now it's time to make my shopping list for RTR "extras" that I want to look for at convention next Friday. This is actually the first time that I have finished our school year before convention and so I can get totally engrossed in the upcoming year, it's a sickness, I know;)

I'm going thru the archives and taking notes but thought I'd ask for suggestions from those who did RTR this year or in years past and just never posted anything. Thanks for any and all ideas as I make my list.
You might want to consider and pick a few titles from You Wouldn't Want to Be . . . series with related topics: Cleopatra, Roman Soldier, Forbidden City, Marco Polo, Shakespearean Actor, Joan of Arc, Pompeii, Great Wall of China, Samurai, Roman Gladiator, Viking Explorer, Medieval Knight, etc. Rainbow had some at their booth. Our library had quite a good selection to borrow if you want to check first.

The Diane Stanley books are beautiful although the reading level is advanced for a picture book. Didn't use them as in depth as I wanted, but couldn't pass up at convention the gorgeous artwork. :) Titles: Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Bard of Avon.

Sir Cumference and the First Round Table

One book that I ordered which my daughter thoroughly enjoyed was solving the mystery in History Detectives: The Romans.

Detectives in Togas

Drive Thru History: Rome dvd

Check out notebooking journal for Apologia Astronomy. Doing the minibooks were fun!

You might consider the Getting to Know the Great Composers by Mike Venezia. Beethoven, and Mozart. OR Lives of the Musicians by Kathleen Krull

I'm thinking there is a pop-up book of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. Not sure where I saw one. Debating if I should look for one for week 33.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

Pylegang

Readers for RTR

Unread post by Pylegang » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:25 pm

my3sons wrote:I am getting ready to start planning this year and am looking for readers for my 5th grader to read for individual reading time. I would love some recommendations for books related to the time period RTR covers. I have ideas for other books, but if we could find some age appropriate related books, that would be a bonus!

(the book basket is wonderful and we use it, but that is separate from reading time)

Thanks,
Gwen
We loved:

Detectives in Togas

Roman Mysteries
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

DS4home

Re: Readers for RTR

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I'll share the list of readers my kids used that year. I had a 4th and 7th grader. They are a mix of girl and boy stories :)

Little Miriam of Galilee
Jason's Miracle: A Hanukkah Story
Cleopatra (Usborne)
Daughter of the Nile (Royal Diary)
A Triumph for Flavious
Vinegar Boy
Sparrow Alone
See You Later, Gladiator (Time Warp Trio)
Adam of the Road
The Sword in the Tree
Castle Diary
Joan of Arc (Landmark)
The Whipping Boy
Mary Queen of Scots (Royal Diary)
Tales from Shakespeare

Hope that helps spark some thoughts on what might work for your kids. There is a range of reading levels in this list.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

rxmom

Need Read Aloud kick-off for RTR

Unread post by rxmom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:19 am

Kelly1730 wrote:Any suggestions for a great read aloud for the first few weeks of RTR? The Bronze Bow doesn't start until week 4 and the read alouds are one of my guys favorite things. A Triumph for Flavius is suggested for the first week or so but my library doesn't carry it and it's running about $11 for a book with only 84 pages, I can't justify it. Oh, the boys just turned 10 and are going into 4th grade, if that helps. Thanks so much!~
Hi Kelly,
We just finished RTR--loved it! My boys enjoyed Detectives in Togas by Henry Winterfeld. It is a mystery /whodunit type of book involving a group of Roman school boys...witty, fun, with a view into ancient Roman culture/school life, etc...a good read to kick off study of Rome. Have a fun year in RTR!

Delcey :-)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

s_duguid

Re: Need Read Aloud kick-off for RTR

Unread post by s_duguid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

My daughter loved Detectives in Togas! I concur; this would be a great "kick-off" to the new school year. The author has another book Mystery of the Roman Ransom, if your boys are interested after reading Detectives.

Some other good read-aloud suggestions would be The Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Stucliff or Duncan's War, by Douglas Bond. Not sure of the timeline of these, though. Duncan's War might be better towards the end of the year when there isn't a read-aloud scheduled.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

IdahoGrown

Essential books for RtR?

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21 am

mamamouse wrote:I am looking ahead to next year when we do RtR. Are there book basket books that you think are a good idea to purchase because they're just that good? I will be going through RtR twice more (I think) with the other kids, so they'd get used more than once.

Thanks!
Chanda
Here is my schedule for the year. R means 'reader' for the student. RA means read-aloud.
I assume you have the TM so you can look these up in their respective weeks to find the authors... : )
I spent TONS on books for this year because where we had a poor library. There really is no need to purchase all the books I did if you have access to a library system that is good or has interlibrary loan. All these extra books costs me at least $300 but I don't remember exactly how much...which is probably a good thing.

The weeks where no readers are scheduled, my dd was reading her own interest books or she was taking turns reading the history with me.

Week One: R: Triumph for Flavius; RA: City (a Macauley book)
two: RA: City, Famous Men of Rome-Caesar; Famous Men-Cicero
three: R: History Detectives RA: City
four: R: History Detectives and Pompeii-Buried Alive; Drive Thru History Rome dvd
five: R: Mystery of the Roman Ransom; RA Famous Men of Rome XXIII and Invitation to the Classics Aeneid
six: R: Mystery of the Roman Ransom; RA Roman Coliseum
seven: R finish Mystery Roman Ransom; RA finish Roman Coliseum and The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
eight: RA Masada (we ended up skipping this book for some reason...but it looks excellent)
nine: RA Masada
10: RA Twice Freed; watch one hour of A.D.
11: CATCH UP on any reading; RA Twice Freed; watch one hour of A.D
12: RA: Famous Men of Rome-Nero and Twice Freed; watch one hour of A.D.
13: R: Anna Byzantium; RA Famous Men-Constantine and End of Western Empire
14: R Anna of Byzantium
15: R: the Silk Route; RA I Dared to Call Him Father
16: RA I Dared...
17: R: The Sword in the Tree (this is a super easy to read book..) RA I Dared...
18: R: Viking Adventure (another super easy to read). Finished I Dared but late. tough book to get thru. Started Augustine Came to Kent. Invitation to the Classics Beowulf
19: R: The Door in the Wall; RA: Augustine Came To Kent, Adam of the Road, and let dd puruse In The Time of Knights
20: Same as last week
21: R: The Apple and the Arrow; RA Dangerous Journey
22: RA: Science in Ancient China and Dangerous Journey
23: RA: finish Dangerous Journey and start Samurai's Tale as a read-aloud cuz it sounds interesting and I don't want to miss the story! lol. I may have dd read this aloud to me.
24: R: The Shakespeare Stealer and Samurai's Tale.
25: R Shakespeare Stealer and Samurai's Tale aloud
26: Finish Shakespear STealer and Samurai's Tale. RA: Prince Henry the Navigator...pages 24-40 of World of Columbus and Sons 3 pages per day until done
27: RA: Daily Life in Timbuktu--this book was hard to find for some reason. I scored an old library copy off of Ebay
28: catch up week on anything
29: RA Discovery of the Americas. We skip the first part of the book because it is evolutionary.
30: R: Luther the Leader; RA Michaelangelo (Usborne Art) as well as Divinci
31: R: A Murder for Her Majesty
32: R: A Murder...; RA The Best of Shakespeare
33: same as last week
34: same as last week

That does it! We are only on week 18. lol. But we have moved long distance this year...again. :-) I hope this helps you plan your year.
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

mamamouse

Re: Essential books for RtR?

Unread post by mamamouse » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks Jean for typing all that out!!

Thanks Julie for the links!!
Using:
MFW CtG with my zoo crew~Ds11 and Ds9. Dd5 is tagging along while using MFW K~Dd 9 months is learning to walk using the walls and furniture...getting into EVERYTHING.