Book Reviews & Extras - K-2 classics, read-alouds

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
cbollin

Book Reviews & Extras - K-2 classics, read-alouds

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Marcee wrote:Any recommendations for 6-8 years? Read alouds are quite a struggle with my kids. They get bored very easily with the "good books". The only book they have sat for and begged to here one more chapter is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
you might want to buy/get a copy of Honey for a Child's Heart. It is a resource of lots of book titles for ages up to about 12 ish or so.

Another resource to check: the very back of your MFW manual (from ADV ECC CTG RTR EX1850, 1850MOD). There is a list of classics in general reading.
use books in book basket for some read aloud.

just some experience from me along the way in my years:
don't read aloud too far above their age/stage of learning. Some of them won't keep interest for long, and others, you might read to them and have to explain so much going on, that well... you wonder why?!?! Or, like what happened with me, I read a series of books to my oldest when she was 5 and 6 (and she hung on every word) and then a year later she told me she didn't remember any of those books!

They'll get "older" read alouds in the ADV program. So you'll have time for that to build.

Enjoy reading picture books out loud to them and really have fun telling and acting the story together. Does your library or PBS station carry Reading Rainbow? My advanced oldest enjoyed books on that show at this age too. and so did my younger gals who weren't as advanced.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Another question about Favorite Classics........

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

cbollin wrote:Enjoy reading picture books out loud to them
Another vote for picture books here. We read lots of those into late elementary with all of my kids. Even books like Beatrix Potter and Winnie the Pooh can be read well into elementary school ages, if you show your kids how much you enjoy them. It's often the parents who are rushing ahead, rather than the child. There are also sweet stories like A Hive of Busy Bees.

If you *do* want to move into longer books now, I think we usually started with Boxcar Children #1 as a read-aloud. We also loved the missionary biographies in ECC (we read lots in 3rd grade+) and Patricia St. John chapter books in CTG (4th+ grades). We didn't do long books like Tom Sawyer until middle school at our house; sometimes the themes are a bit deeper and the vocab a bit denser in classic novels.

Just one better-late-than-early gal here,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 am

My children are 7 & 9 but we also still read lots of picture books. Last year there were many of them from the library that supplemented ECC. I also have a Children's Treasury of the 20th Century and The Children's Book of Virtues. They have great illustrations, but are compilations of works from various authors.

For starting to read chapter books aloud my children enjoyed books from these series: Boxcar Children, Magic Tree House, and Sugar Creek Gang (we've only read one, but they want to hear more). My older child especially enjoyed the Kingdom Tales stories from MFW.

For audio books, my children have enjoyed Adventures in Odyssey and the Chronicles of Narnia which are both dramatized really well and kept their attention. Both are from Focus on the Family.

These may not all be considered "classics", but they have been favorites in our home.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

mfwstudent

Unread post by mfwstudent » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:25 am

Julie in MN wrote:Another vote for picture books here.
Hi, Ms. Julie! I'm in 9th grade and I still love those kiddie books. I just finished watching animated version of Chrysanthemum with my little sister. I love it! off to watch Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! (and play with the Lauri letters from MFW K).
cbollin wrote:this is only because she was ahead in her high school reading this week and staying on track with her high school stuff. (that kid of mine reads everything!)
-crystal

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Marcee wrote:Any recommendations for 6-8 years? Read alouds are quite a struggle with my kids. They get bored very easily with the "good books". The only book they have sat for and begged to here one more chapter is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
Find books that you are excited to read to them. If you love them, they are more likely to love them. That's my best tip. We recently read and loved The Penderwicks, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, ... We were all spellbound by those 3.

I do agree with better-late-than-early to an extent. But, as always, it really depends on your child as to how you define that in the details. The Box car series level books - those are the books that my 8 year reads herself for fun reading. I believe in reading aloud at a step above. My 2 year is loving Beatrix Potter and my 5 year old listens to Treasure Island audiobook as he's going to sleep. Understand it all? No, but the language is rich and beautiful. I see no reason to hold that back. Picture books are wonderful - (Karma Wilson writes some of my favorites) but we do them in addition to, not instead of. Our reading list for my 8 year old is on my family blog. My little ones will be listening to most of those as well. Although right now, they little ones are the only ones listening to Beatrix Potter and they are just loving it.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm

oh yeah....They need to enjoy books and it can come from mom's excitement, just like HeyChelle said
Find books that you are excited to read to them. If you love them, they are more likely to love them. That's my best tip
(maybe these are more appropriate to make sure you get in the 4-6 years range)
Rosie's Walk
Harry and the Purple Crayon
Is this a House for Hermit Crab? (reading rainbow version is the best!)
Tacky the Penguin! (my youngest who has autism gives us a whole new appreciation for that book)

and get in there and dramatize the stories with the kids. I was playing the part of Chrysanthemum and mfwstudent had Victoria and did a great job with the hair flip.
Julie in MN wrote: Aw, Crystal, you can take off your mommy hat because I know very well your dd is reading more than my ds ever will and the picture books are only a fun extra.

I got to read Barnyard Dance for the 1,000th time with Anthony this week, but hey, I still read other stuff ;) 8[] With an oink, and a moo, and a cocka-doodle-doo, everybody promenade two-by-two (committed to memory, aren't you proud of me?!) &) &)

Ooh, sorry.
ooh.... memory work with with Classical literature. Yes, I am very proud of you Julie. and teaching it the generation beyond your own children. How MFW can you get?! LOL LOL LOL

nah, watching how much mfwstudent was enjoying those picture books on video this morning makes me really appreciate it when Marie has reading suggestions in AHL that aren't as rigorous as all of the package books. all kinds of levels. Well ,ok Marie doesn't suggest picture books in high school.. but.... it brought back how much fun we had 2 years ago when we did ECC and K.

-crystal

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:40 pm

We did Adventures last year and the last book on schedule was the "In Grandma's Attic" series. It was the only book that my kids begged for more. I heard there are more in teh series so I need to buy those. Great values and lessons taught in each story. I laughed my head off at some of them. So if you haven't done those, then try them.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Grandma's Attic. Great books. My dc loved those as well. We read the first two. I have the third in the series ready for the next opportunity (which will probably be next summer). My ds loved the stories as much as my dd so they are not just for girls, BTW.

I understand that after book three, the girls begin to grow up and deal with more 'mature' issues. Boys 'n such. Not sure how he would respond to those. ;)

I read both classics and picture books to my dc. I think my ds loves the picture books as much as the classics. He also enjoys watching them on video with little sis.

As a homeschooler, he doesn't have to deal with the daily peer pressure of 'pretending' to think they are too babyish and feel pressured to read/watch things he really disliked but would anyway just to feel like 'one of the guys' such as Spiderman/Batman, etc. (And that was in 2nd grade ps.) Now, in 4th, he is not ashamed to hear, read, and watch picture books (and classics).

I don’t know that kids ever outgrow the love of hearing short stories/picture books read aloud. My 11 y.o. 6th grade ps’ed niece loves it when she is here and I read a picture book or when she ‘gets to’ watch one on video. She is usually even more attentive than my own two. Probably because she doesn’t get the opportunity as much as they do.

Having multi level learning is a neat thing, IMHO. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:39 am

I was discussing this thread with my dh this morning and he pointed out to me how valuable picture books can be, especially in the earlier grades. While the classics are very valuable and should also be read, the picture books help a child visualize things and especially time periods that they may not have been introduced to yet. It's sort of difficult to imagine and follow along with a book with no pictures that may mention a steam boat, for instance, when you have never seen one. (That was the example my dh used as he was thinking about Tom Sawyer.) I know most versions usually have a few pictures here and there but still don’t always keep the interest of younger children.

At the beginning of last school year when my dd was 5, she was not the least bit interested when I would read a classic but would intently watch, listen and comment while I would read (most) picture books. Now, one year later, she loves to listen to me read just about anything. I think the picture books first drew her in and helped her to begin to be able to sit for longer periods of time listening whether there were pictures or not. Now I frequently find both my dc acting out parts in books they have heard no matter the source.

I also mentioned to my dh how wonderful I think it is that our dc have the opportunity to be exposed to so many different things and how awesome it is to have the opportunity to homeschool. (Can you tell I'm really getting excited about hs-ing again.) :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

erin.kate

nature books?

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:34 pm

kacairo1 wrote:A few months ago there was a conversation thread that discussed a website with classic read aloud fiction books having to do with nature and animals. I cannot remember the website and wanted to take a peek and purchasing some. Anyone know what I'm talking about? :~
We have loved buying living nature (and history and lit) books from Yesterdays Classics ... for nature we have enjoyed the Burgess Books, Pierson's Among the ... People, the Storybook of Science, Seed Babies, etc.
kacairo1 wrote:Oh, YES, YES, YES! That is exactly what I was looking for...the Burgess books especially. Do you know if the library carries them?

Also, how have you addressed, "Old Mother Nature" as I see was one of the characters listed in the description?

And another thing...I saw that there are nature study curriculum bundles on the Burgess website--have you ever used those? do they ship them for free too or are they just for locals? THANKS!
You're welcome. ;)

To answer your questions ... we treat Old Mother Nature just the same as Jenny Wren or Danny Meadow Mouse or Prickly Porky. They are all magnificent characters created in the mind of the brilliant Burgess to showcase God's incredible creation. Simple as that in our family, but other MFWers might have a better answer for you.

Are you local? We live near the Burgess museum, so it's not troublesome to visit and gather materials. You may need to call about the Education kids. I'm not sure shipping would work since there is a 2-week loan period ... never know though. They may be flexible. :-)

We tend to buy the books from Yesterdays Classics for two reasons ... to grow our home library with the best children's lit available, and with 4 children so far, they'll be reused and well loved, and also so that we can keep publishers like YC reprinting these gems. Dover also publishes less expensive copies of the whole line of Burgess books ... most can be found at Amazon.

Hope that was helpful. Happy Independence Day!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Home@School

Re: nature books?

Unread post by Home@School » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 am

I have been able to get Burgess books at several libraries.

You can also read the recommended series on-line with illustrations at:
http://www.mainlesson.com/main/displaya ... le=mission

We treat Old Mother Westwind as just another fictional character in the series.

Enjoy God's creation with your children! I'm attempting yet again to start a nature journal.
~Lisa - happily married for 20 years
~Mom to Jordan (16yob), Matthew (11), Rachael (8), and Jonathan Ralph (
1)

kacairo1

Re: nature books?

Unread post by kacairo1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:33 am

We just picked up "Old Mother West Wind" from the library this week and have begun reading it. The children keep asking for more..."one more chapter, please, Mommy!" Thanks again!! :)
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

cbollin

Read alouds in 1st

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:So far, the only thing we aren't going great on in the 1st curriculum is reading every day. Mostly, we read books related to the science topic. :~ I do admit that I don't like to read out loud. I never have. &) Admittedly, it is probably because I'm actually not a very strong reader even though I really do enjoy reading. I've learned to be expressive as I read aloud and my reading is smoother, but still, I don't feel comfortable doing it. Which means that even though I do read to my children, it's not as much as I think I should. I think it's important, I just don't like doing it unless it's a book I'm very familiar with. So, with that in mind and knowing that I DO want to read to them because I think it is important and will be a good memorable time as a family......I need some guidance please. :-)

I do I have the book Honey For a Child's Heart. It seems to me that she recommends all picture books for children in this age group. (My oldest is 6 with 4 year old tag-along siblings.) We've read a few chapter books here and there, Magic Tree House/Magic School bus type. Mostly, we stick to picture books because I don't know what chapter books to read and if it's appropriate. :~ I'd really like to start getting into more "quality" chapter books. I've seen people mention reading things like Little House on the Prairie and such. I guess my questions are...

1. should we be reading chapter books? Is there really a right or wrong to reading or not reading them at this point?

2. Is there a good book list somewhere of what chapter books are appropriate at 6.5 and 4? (more concerned with the 6.5 year old since the 4 year olds haven't been into the chapter books as much.)

3. Do you pre-read everything or edit as you go? I'm really not sure I have time to pre-read everything. Unfortunately, I really was not an avid reader as a child. I became an avid reader late in high school and read an insane amount in college and mid-20's, but it wasn't children's lit/young reader stuff at that point. So, I really haven't read much of what I would read to him. I have some ideas like The Jungle Book, Treasure Island type stuff, but I've not read them and don't even know the story. So, I have no idea what is age appropriate without reading it or finding a trusted list to choose from. I'm also hoping to find books that I can really enjoy also. I know that if I'm enjoying it and engrossed in it, I won't have any trouble getting it read. ;)

Any input on this would be great. Thanks so much for all the support you all offer!!
I'm guessing you'll get a wide variety of opinions......

when my oldest was 6-7 years old..... I was glad that we didn't do books like Little House. or Anne of Green Gables... what's wrong with the picture books for a little longer? didn't ruin my kid. it's like.. they grow out of car seat and you don't hand them the keys immediately or say sit up front... so.. why does a 6 y.o HAVE to be read too from older chapter books just because some other person does it? is it wrong? no... is it right? not necessarily...... sounds like fancy to do so and makes them sound smart. been there... in hindsight... I didn't ruin my oldest by doing them too soon... and I didn't ruin my middle but NOT doing them.

how about...age appropriate "chapter picture books?" huh? Arnold Lobel (Frog and Todd series, Owl at Home, Mouse Tales). the Little Bear books. your library might call these "easy readers". but typically they are in "chapters" in those stories and will still have plenty of pictures. it's best of it all. eventually your children will be able to read those on their own. you might check for titles that were in five in a row and enjoy those.

part of fluency and read aloud... in my opinion, for this age... isn't making them sit for longer stories.. it's about enjoying a shorter story and hearing it often. you get more familiar with it.. they get more familiar... it gets easier.
back ages ago when I was in high school..... I participated in competitive reading. to sound really good... I practiced the same poem over and over. cold readings were also part of the competition. how did you do with 2 minutes to read over it and then read it out loud. yikes! but it wasn't reading it without looking at it first.

consider an option of "audio books" with the book. that way they hear someone else read while following along in the book.

then.... it's ok to wait another semester or next year in ADV to do anything like Little House. Several of those Little House books are in ADV and scheduled then... so it's quite ok to wait a year.

-crystal

Mom2theteam

Re: Read alouds in 1st

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Crystal - Thank you very much! I am definitely open to opinions that I *should* be reading chapter books to him/them. If that's what I need to do, then I will. But, honestly, I was really hoping to hear what you said. When we have read chapter books, I just don't feel he gets as much out of it as he would at an older age. He also really enjoys the pictures. He looks through the chapter books for the few pictures that are included. ;) We do read books like you mentioned, easier reader type with chapters, like Frog and Toad. They do enjoy those. I feel those are helping them learn to sit and listen for longer, just as you said. We get books on CD/Tape to listen to in the car. So, they do get to listen to someone else read. They take turns holding the book and we listen more than once.

I also know this is silly, but I feel like implementing at least 15 minutes of reading aloud a day will help me get more and more comfortable reading aloud. I know there will be more and more of it for a while as he gets older, so I need to get over my issue for his/their sake. (You know how that goes. We all mom's have to be pushed outside of our comfort zones every now and again. :-) ) I really appreciate that you "gave me permission" to hold off on reading the chapter books for a while.

Should we be doing more than 15 minutes a day? Even as someone who doesn't like to read aloud, I feel like 15 minutes isn't enough time. But, I'm sure it is. ;)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

kimber79

Unread post by kimber79 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:59 pm

My son is 6 and we'll be starting MFW-1st in September. But this summer we've been doing read alouds with the picture books we have and there are favorites my children like. I do some reading in the morning, some in the afternoon and maybe in the evening before bed if I'm not too tired so I don't really time it but it probably comes out to 15-20 minutes :) I think as long as you read a few books each day you're doing fine on time and if your children ask for more then try some more! I also have a 3-year-old daughter so I'm still reading some board books to her and my son will listen along if he's doing something else but he doesn't always sit right with us when I'm reading to her.

As far as lists, I really like the majority of picture books that are listed with Five in a Row. You can look up those lists online (here's their official list: http://www.fiarhq.com/FIAR/FIARBL.html) and then search for the books at your library. Several we also used during MFW-K if there was a good tie-in and many of the books recommended by Marie for kinder were cross-overs with Five in a Row. I don't use the Five in a Row curriculum but do use their book lists for ideas.

We also slowly started with chapter books like Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner but I just read for a few minutes and then continue the story the next day or later in the afternoon. And the Pooh books are really fun also - I never read them as a child and really like the fun adventures that Pooh and his friends have :) Another fun one to start reading aloud is Charlotte's Web. Obviously they don't remember all the details at this age but it'll be fun to have them read these books on their own when they're older and see what they can remember.

Hope that helps!

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:Should we be doing more than 15 minutes a day? Even as someone who doesn't like to read aloud, I feel like 15 minutes isn't enough time. But, I'm sure it is. ;)
I'm not a professional :) , but I think 15 min./day is plenty. There are days when you'll be enjoying snuggling and reading so much that you'll want to go longer (and maybe some days when they're being such little toots you can't go even five minutes :) ), but a goal of 15 min./day is great!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:Crystal - Thank you very much! I am definitely open to opinions that I *should* be reading chapter books to him/them. If that's what I need to do, then I will. But, honestly, I was really hoping to hear what you said. When we have read chapter books, I just don't feel he gets as much out of it as he would at an older age.
and that's where the "mom instinct" comes in... with my oldest... she enjoyed longer books. I did some. I don't say it with sarcasm or anything. It didn't ruin her to hear them.. She liked it. It was fun for us. no deer in headlights look. usually... But with middle child... I just knew she'd like it more just a little later. Should I have waited with oldest? On some of the books I selected, yes. They weren't "bad" but she needed to be older to get it.

I also know this is silly, but I feel like implementing at least 15 minutes of reading aloud a day will help me get more and more comfortable reading aloud. ....
Should we be doing more than 15 minutes a day? Even as someone who doesn't like to read aloud, I feel like 15 minutes isn't enough time. But, I'm sure it is. ;)
it doesn't sound silly at all. I did at as a watch the child and mom, not the clock.... 15 minutes is plenty... sometimes less, sometimes more... kinda like salt on your fries.. some times you need just a little more after you've sweated a LOT.. sometimes you need to read a little longer, other times... 10 is enough and everyone is tired......
As far as lists, I really like the majority of picture books that are listed with Five in a Row.

yep.... those are good too. I was so glad when so many of them showed back up in later years in MFW. fiar is what I used with my oldest before we found mfw.
from ADV thru year5, read alouds are picked and scheduled. so it will get easier.... then some books you'll end up picking up from book basket and end up reading together...

-crystal

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:19 pm

We do lots of reading aloud from short books (usually picture books on science subjects or just ones she picks out at the library) as well as longer chapter books. I don't think it is necessary to read chapter books, but they can be fun if the child and parent are both interested in the story or the characters.

I'm definitely not reading the longer books to my girl in an attempt to appear all homeschoolishly perfect, but because she likes those types of stories and so do I. :) I figure we'll read them again later, or she'll read them on her own, and at a different maturity and understanding level when she's older. I mean, this isn't the only time she's going to learn about plants and seeds, and it's not the only time she'll hear/read Little House on the Prairie, right? Of course not.

If she didn't like those types of stories, I definitely wouldn't sweat it and force them on her. I just love the stories I'm reading to her and want to share them with her while she is interested, and oh is she ever interested right now! She really likes "old timey historical stuff," but she may not forever. And it's just become a habit of what we do together in the evenings, and we think it's fun. I am not smooth at reading aloud... I tend to go too quickly and sometimes slur my words a little, but I'm learning to pace and give better inflection and character voices. I remember in fourth grade, my teacher made me read Trumpet of the Swan aloud to my class after lunch, because I was a "good reader," but I really disliked that job. Note that I wrote, "made me," and indeed she did and it really hurt my confidence on reading aloud for a long time. Argh. I hurried through that book as quickly as possible and I wonder if any of the other students ever heard a single word. :~

I think that if you want to get into chapter books, and think that he'd enjoy them, a good way to find out about the worldview and content in some of the "classics" is to look for reviews of these books on Christian websites. I've read reviews at Rainbow Resource and some similar places to try to figure out if a book is appropriate. Or I will read it first myself, or listen to the audio version from the library while I'm doing chores after the child is asleep. I can hardly imagine jumping into a book and reading it aloud without knowing just what it is going to contain, you know? But, when needed, I will edit as I read. For example, there is a whole lot about Santa Claus in the Little House books, and we don't do Santa at our house. So I tend to edit it or we just discuss issues as we read.

And I want to add that it really helped my fluency on reading aloud to listen to some high quality audio books borrowed from the library... I learned lots about tone and inflection and pauses and how important those are for the listener. Sometimes, too, we listen to an audiobook while she's drawing or coloring and I'm cooking. That's fun too and a great way to share a story.

But if you don't want to do chapter books, or don't have time, or he isn't interested.... I would say you could certainly save them for later and no harm done!

We think it's fun, but it may not be fun for everyone.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:23 pm

I agree with following your mom-instinct. We have stuck with picture books until my little guy started choosing longer books on subjects he was interested in - mainly history. And then that kind of merged into longer literature books. We are about to finish Jungle Book - which we have been reading at bed time.

As for time, I think 15 min is a good goal. We don't always make it, but we try. But that is in addition to bed time reading.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

CaseyVG

Fun add ins for MFW1st? Some questions?

Unread post by CaseyVG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 am

lea_lpz wrote:I am beginning to plan and budget next years school curriculum choices. I am planning to use MFW1st for my dd, who will be 6 when we start and have ds, then 4, join in on fun stuff.

What are some read alouds you enjoyed for MFW 1st? I have considered the Little Jewel book series from Rod and Staff to emphasize moral character since we explore the Bible in MFW1st? Other good character development choices?

So far, when I try to read chapter books or classic children's literature such as Hans Christian Andersen, Brother Grimm, Paddington Bear, etc. my dd's mind wanders and she gets easily bored. Is it ok to stick to good picture books another year?
I am currently doing first with my son, and my 4 year old dd sits with us.

When we do read alouds, she always joins us, even for the math and science books.

As far as read alouds, we have done a couple Laura Ingalls books because we visited her homestead on vacation this summer. They were mostly interested, but not always.

I used the Honey for a Child's Heart and found lots of children's picture books, which I think are great. I just started reading some of the American Girl books to them and they love them. They are only 6 chapters and have a few pictures, which is good. I also have a Samantha doll, which I just got out and let them look at for the first time. Even my son likes these. Mostly, they pick books out at the library that they want to read and we read them. Sometimes they are good, sometimes not. The important thing is that you're reading to them!

Hope that helps.
Casey
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

Yodergoat

Re: Fun add ins for MFW1st? Some questions?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 pm

I have a suggestion for something to go with First that is both read-aloud and good character lessons: the book "Wisdom and the Millers." I've used it to go along with the Proverbs study this year, but it (and the other books in the series) are good read-alouds too. I wrote a post about this at one time... mayhap this link will work! The first couple of posts in this thread are about it.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ers#p87780

We're doing First right now. It's a fun year!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

MuzzaBunny

Re: Fun add ins for MFW1st? Some questions?

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:51 pm

I thought I'd toss out these books right off the top of my head: the Carl Sommer books are lovely for character building and my little one has enjoyed all of them. Also, the Janette Oke animal friends series is very nice. There are some really exceptional ones by Max Lucado too - the Wemmick books, especially, are not to be missed.

Those are a few read alouds that came to mind. We're also doing 1st right now and enjoying it *very* much.

As for your [last] question, I think it's perfectly alright to stick with picture books awhile longer. My dd is 6 and we still select a large number of picture along with our chapter book read alouds. Quality picture books are worth their weight in gold. (The above suggestions are picture books. The Janette Oke ones have fewer pictures, but still have several pretty, interesting illustrations.)
Bunny