Adventures in My Father's World -- Share Your Experiences

If you have used My Father's World curriculum, please share some of your experiences with us. We would all love to hear your stories -- and it will be especially helpful for new people who are trying to determine if MFW is right for their family or school situation.
jhagberg

Re: Adventures in My Father's World - Share Your Experiences

Unread post by jhagberg »

I grew up in Christian school and homeschool, and I used ACE every single year, K-12. I taught in an ACE school for eight years, and then I used ACE at home for six years with my oldest (3rd-8th). So that's my background...27 years of ACE!

When my oldest was in 4th grade, I saw MFW at a homeschool convention. I was VERY impressed with the program, and I told myself that maybe, someday, I would try MFW. Well, the years went by, and several friends asked me, "Which program would you recommend for homeschooling?" I answered without hesitation, "My Father's World!" I explained to them that I had never actually used it myself, but if I were to start over, I would try it.

Then it happened! My oldest finished 8th grade, and headed off to high school. There I was, at home, with two little boys, and it hit me, "I'm starting over...this is my chance to try MFW!" I decided to jump in with both feet, forget everything I'd ever done before, and just enjoy the beauty of this program. I am so thrilled that after years of recommending MFW to others, I have finally decided to take my own advice. This year we are doing Adventures, and I love it! It is completely new and fresh and I couldn't be happier. :-)
Joyce

Mother of 4 boys...
Expecting my first grandchild this summer -- another boy!
Nayfiesmama

Unread post by Nayfiesmama »

It's great to hear all of the excitement about MFW. Our co-op is using MFW for highschool, so I'm investigating whether I'd like to use it for next year... I have one child that I homeschool, and he's 8 so I have plenty of time to hop in the cycles.
Thanks for all the Information :)
Carrie :) Hobbies include putting together a co-op for Salem, OR (Using MFW for the Highschool)
thesummerfields

Unread post by thesummerfields »

I can't believe how much of a difference it makes to teach both kids together! How much time it saves and how much we enjoy sharing the exerience of learning these fun lessons together. This has truely taken our school time from stress and struggle, tears and reluctance to excitement and anticiation. It helps me so much as a mom and teacher to have the kids more eager to learn. In previous years of schooling it was a struggle to stay consistant because everyone was dragging their feet on starting lessons because we know what a huge challenge it always was to finish things let alone get started.

I am blown away with how gentle the learning is yet they are really learning it all. Things pop up in conversation all the time about things they have leared and I don't remember that happening as much in years previous. I love how everything connects and builds on the Bible message we are learning. I have been impressed at every turn with this curriculum and feel practically giddy that we have found the best solution for our family.

We also use the preschool activities for my 5yr old son and he LOVES all his activities and loves school. I love the cards that give me such solid ideas for his development progress. We will likely use some of these into K next year.:)

Part of me is super excited about next years Exploring Countries and Cultures...yet I know we will also miss Adventures too. We can't wait to start the states in a few weeks, the boys keep asking me when we get to start them. We have a ways yet, but we are getting closer. We are in week 7 now.:) As I was looking at my lesson plans today I was just thinking how much I enjoy this program and wanted to share.:)
Julie~
Holden age 7~ MFW 1st Grade, modified to use Barton for reading portions for dyslexia
Evan 6th & Toby 4th~ Rome to Reformation
Sierra 11th~ U.S. History to 1877
thesummerfields

Unread post by thesummerfields »

I wanted to share an update on how we are liking Adventures this year. I posted a review in Oct of 2011 and now we are on week 25 I think with 8 weeks left. I am stunned to be honest how well this year has went! I just can't even express the difference this year has been. We aren't new to homeschooling, we have been at this for about 7 years now and FINALLY we have found a wonderful way to learn in our home as a family!

The Lord has really blessed everyone in this family through the use of this curriculum. All my kids are using MFW (preschool, adventures, and Ancient History and Literature). I notice how much I am encouraged and uplifted just while teaching and doing school each day. I am also blessed by the eagerness to learn in my kids each day! Here we are at week 25 and no one (especially not Mom) is burned out. Not in the least, we are all pumped about making the last 8 weeks of this school year more fun then ever. The kids are anxiously counting down the days until we can open up the magnet kit in a few more weeks. I purposefully didn't let them open it (partly in fear we'd lose parts and partly to preserve something to look forward to until later in the year.) I can't tell you how many times I have heard my kids exclaim they love doing school and love this curriculum.

I thought at some point the kids might get bored with the state student sheets or the same format so much for the 50 states but honestly they have enjoy the simplicity of it and knowing in a sense of what to expect. Then every so often we do something more in depth and fun to shake things up. They really like all the student sheets, and we as a family cherish the read alouds. To be honest we haven't done very many of the Book Basket selections (mostly due to laziness, we have a very small library and every book requires we request it from larger libraries, we've probably done that for about 10 books we really wanted to read more about certain topics but I had hoped we'd do more honestly.)

I have one with Dyslexia and I feel like I can seamlessly accommodate him without him feeling like I have to do something different with him as opposed to his brother etc (for instance with Spelling Power we had to just do one word group per week and he is doing really well with that now....along with a salt tray to do tactile things to learn to spell the words, play-dough to form letters etc). I love the flexibility, but I crave the structure too. I feel so great when everything is checked off the lesson plans each day and I also feel great anytime we add something extra when we feel inspired to learn more.

The best part? I have been able to take on more at church. I am available to help in bigger ways because I am not so bogged down with the weight of school on my shoulders and the strain and stress. It used to take such a toll on me. My husband many times this year has mentioned I am so different this year. He said I have been so much happier, content with the schooling process, and I don't get burned out like I used to. I can assure you he is relieved, our marriage seems stronger because I am not always so flustered or worn out from trying to figure out how to help the kids learn. Never did I think a curriculum could affect a family so much but with God in this, it has helped us a great deal. I thank MFW team for allowing God to use them to bless others.:)

I am completely excited about getting to order next year's stuff for another successful year with MFW.
Julie~
Holden age 7~ MFW 1st Grade, modified to use Barton for reading portions for dyslexia
Evan 6th & Toby 4th~ Rome to Reformation
Sierra 11th~ U.S. History to 1877
christephi

Re: Adventures in U.S. History - Share Your Experiences

Unread post by christephi »

We started using Adventures in U.S. History last week. I'm planning to post a weekly run-down of our experiences on my blog. Our first week was a blast! Here's the link to it: http://www.christephi.com/2013/02/adven ... eek-1.html

My daughter loves it…today I overheard her telling my mom that she *loves* her history lessons and can't wait to find out what happens to Pedro and Catalina next. She begged me to pretend her aluminum foil boat was Pedro and Catalina's boat (she used My Little Ponies for Pedro and Catalina) crossing the Atlantic Ocean on their way to Florida. How could I refuse? LOL!

Please come follow along on our journey on my blog. :)
-------------------------
STEPHANIE mother to
Miss M (age 7) & Little Guy (age 4)
Living in Missouri.
Homeschooling since 2010.
-------------------------
Tigger2

Unread post by Tigger2 »

What a true blessing this is!! I rarely post anything on boards, but I feel compelled to share how wonderful this curriculum is!

My son is 8 years old and absolutely LOVES My Father's World! We had been using a leading "boxed" curriculum last year (I was a nervous "newbie") and started with it this year. My son was learning but there was no joy in it. After about the first month of this school year I knew this was not how I wanted him to remember his school days, and began searching for the "right" fit. After reading so many reviews on how terrific this curriculum is, we discontinued the other and began Adventures. And what a wonderful adventure it is every day!

I am not exaggerating when I say that he has learned more in the past 3 months than he did all year last year...and he is THRIVING on it! And it feeds my soul as well. He tells everyone about his "new school" and is so proud to show everyone his notebooks and accomplishments! It blesses our whole family in so many ways, like sitting down to dinner to a lighted candle that says, "Jesus is the light of the world", along with the "Jesus is the bread of life" napkin holder. He loves his "Bible Class" and he is learning so much about the Lord and the true ways of living.

Used to, getting my son to read was a chore in itself, and when I'd ask him what the story was about he'd just say, "I don't remember" or "I don't know". He didn't enjoy it and was not the least bit interested in reading at all. Well, thanks to the book basket, all I can say is WOW! He not only looks forward to "Book Basket Time", he ENJOYS reading. He reads between 20 and 30 minutes every day, reading books about a year above his grade level (40 to 60 pages at a time). And now when I ask him to tell me what the book was about, he is so enthusiastic in telling me so many details about the story! It does my heart good to see him acquire such a love for books. Thank you, My Father's World!

I love how the history is not just memorizing dates and facts, it is so rich and enjoyable to learn. (And I am learning a lot, too! ;-)). And the books that Marie has chosen to go into this program are perfect. My son and I have really enjoyed the read alouds. So many times when we've read to where we need to stop for the day, my son is like, "AWE! I want to know what happens next! Can't we keep going?" He has also learned SO much about the map/globe, and he really likes bringing our globe to our read aloud time and finds the places as we read about them. The best part to me is that he's really learning. He doesn't even realize it because to him it is just so fun and enjoyable, but it is all "sticking".

Science has always been one of his favorite subjects and he really like all the experiments and the "hands on". And I love it because it's not too over-done and not too easy...it's just right.

We also really like the Spelling and Primary Language Lessons that are recommended by MFW. An amazing little orange book! Again, he doesn't even realize he's learning SO much...it's just fun to him.

I can't say enough about how well put together this curriculum is! I flows from one subject right on into the other, as the theme is intertwined throughout. Even the art and music...my son has a whole new appreciation for both and feels such a sense of accomplishment. He has asked me more than once if we can always do My Father's World. This is coming from a child who used to think learning was just something we "had" to do. Now he looks forward to each day, and so do I. Thank you MFW! My child is learning to love and loving to learn!

God Bless,
April