Weeks 3 & 4 (with Flowers; Classifying, Numbers, Counting)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Julie - Staff

Weeks 3 & 4 (with Flowers; Classifying, Numbers, Counting)

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:26 pm

SCROLL DIRECTIONS

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 pm by jwood
I laid out the sheets in order
Used stick glue and glued the edges together overlapping slightly
Let dry
Took the dowel rods and placed them on each end with the writing facing up
Taped the sheet edge to the dowel rod with masking tape.
Carefully rolled together
Placed a big rubberband around it to hold it together.

Voila, a scroll. Mine is three years old, has been shown to everyone, and is still in great shape.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:08 am by MJ in IL
I remember I wanted to paste the pages vertically, but they go horizontally in a long row. I did just what jwood posted except we used glue on the dowel rod and just have the sides rolled up--no rubber band.

In Christ, Molly

Julie - Staff

HELP FINDING THE DOWELS FOR SCROLLS

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:29 am by Tina
I got my dowels in the craft section at Walmart.

PS, we did that two years ago and ds still had it 6 mo. ago, when it finally had to be tossed because it was torn.

Have fun in MFW!

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:50 pm by LizCT
I bought my dowels at the hardware store. They cut them for me, but I wish that I'd brought the lengths home and had my kids measure and cut them with me!

Poohbee

Practicing Math Using a Game

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:53 pm

If you have the game Guess Who? around your house, it is a fun game to use to reinforce categories and sorting. My dd and I played it today during our math time. We have had the game for several years, and she has played it many times before, and she loves it. But today, I used to to reinforce the concept of categories.

For those who aren't familiar with the game, it is a 2-player game. Each player has a "board" with cards that have different people on them. THe cards are "standing up" on the board. Some of the people have white hair, some have hats, some have beards, some have earrings, etc. The cards have the names of the people, too, so for children who can read, they could ask questions based on the letters in a person's name. Each player chooses a card that is their mystery person, and the other person asks questions to try to eliminate the other people on the board and discover their opponent's mystery person. When my dd asks me if my person has white hair, and I say no, then she has to push down all of the people cards on the board with white hair. She has to look at all of the people and group them by categories according to physical features in order to ask questions about them.

I don't think it is very expensive, and you can get it at Walmart, Target, or anyplace like that. There are even variations, such as Disney Guess Who? and Marvel Heroes Guess Who? It's a fun game and a great way to reinforce the concept of categories and sorting!
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:I love that game! I used to play it with my nephews when I babysat. I never would have thought of pulling it out for teaching categories, but that is an incredible idea! We're definitely going to do that! Thanks!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Winkie

MFW 1st math is fun & library idea

Unread post by Winkie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:55 am

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:22 pm
We're in Week 4 of MFW1 and I'm loving the math.

Because of the wonderful booklist for math, I'm finding the Complete Book of Math to be somewhat superfluous. (It's my understanding that the curriculum was written to stand alone without a workbook.) So far the recommended books have been great - they include games & activities, and many have suggestions for more activities at the end.

Here's a tip I'd like to pass on: our library has "kits" available for some of these books. For example, we'll be using "Missing Mittens" next week and I got a kit that includes the book, an activity sheet, and 8 cloth mittens. Free manipulatives, what could be better?
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Poohbee

Counting in Swahili

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:48 pm

I discovered a neat book for counting at my library. It is called Moja Means One: A Swahili Counting Book, by Muriel Feelings. It teaches how to count from 1 to 10 in Swahili and introduces some African culture at the same time.
Jen

RachelT

Plant Video

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:05 pm

We were able to find a few of the recommended books for this science topic, but I wanted to note that the book "The Magic School Bus Gets Planted" also comes on video. It was fun to read the book and later, watch it on a tape, all the while learning about plants and photosynthesis!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

RachelT

Fun Counting Books

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:30 pm

More fun counting books:
Chicka Chicka 123 by Bill Martin Jr.
Every Buddy Counts by Stuart J. Murphy.

A Counting We will Go adapted by Rozanne Lanczak Williams can be sung to the tune of "The Farmer and the Dell". We also have another book by this author called The Crayola Counting Book.

Another book that we found at our library during this unit talks about counting, ordinal numbers, Roman numerals, and also introduces other math topics we will get to later this year, but my kids really liked it. It is called Counting and Numbers by Sheila Cato.

Don't forget the number pegs and puzzles from the MFW Pre-K package, if you already have them!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Poohbee

Flower Video

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:51 pm

I posted about Wild Animal Baby DVDs [in Week 1]. Well, a different Wild Animal Baby DVD has a segment called "Flower Power" that is about how bees pollinate flowers. A cute and informative addition to the study of flowers.
Jen

Poohbee

Book showing a family is like a seed

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:38 pm

I found an absolutely wonderful book at my library called A Place to Grow, by Soyung Pak and illustrated by Marcelino Truong. It brought tears to my eyes.

This is from the front flap on the jacket cover:
"A family is like a seed. It needs a good, safe place to grow. Sometimes that place is just a hop away. Sometimes it's a long, hard journey. This book is a tribute to all parents who took that journey in order for their families to blossom."

It is about a family who must leave an Asian country, possibly the author's birth country of South Korea, and travel to the USA because there are not good "growing conditions" in their country. A little girl tells the story. She and her father plant a garden in their home in the USA. Her father tells her about how seeds travel on the wind, and like seeds, they too traveled on the wind to find better "growing conditions."

My description can't do it justice. You just must read it. The text and illustrations are so beautiful, and I loved the analogy of the person or family being like a seed, traveling on the wind, needing good conditions, such as love and hope, in order to grow.

It is just such a beautiful story, and I had to share it!
Jen

Mom2MnS

A Favorite Book

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 am

A book we really enjoyed this week was One Hungry Cat by Joanne Rocklin. My dd asked for it again and again!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

Mom2MnS

Garden Books

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Books we enjoyed this week were:

The Rose in my Garden by Arnold Lobel
Zinnia's Flower Garden by Monica Wellington
Mouse & Mole and the Year Round Garden by Doug Cushman
Redoute: the man who painted flowers by Carolyn Croll
Rosy's Garden by Satomi Ichikawa

My dd dearly loves flowers, so we included the "Redoute" which was a wonderful story and a history lesson and encouraged her in her art. We also did a number of garden books that I haven't listed. We enjoyed them in this topic, too, because another interest of hers is vegetable gardening.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

sarajoy

Board Games Are Counting

Unread post by sarajoy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:09 pm

We also played lots of Chutes and Ladders this week. My dd6 didn't win any of the games, so she also got a bonus lesson on being a good loser.

Blessings,
SJ

Cyndi (AZ)

More Books on Counting

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Additional books we enjoyed:

How many kisses do you want tonight? by Bajaj, Varsha
My numbers in Spanish by Zakiyyah
The baker's dozen by Andreasen, Dan
Max counts his chickens by Wells, Rosemary (a Max & Ruby book)
How many seeds in a pumpkin? by McNamara, Margaret (great for fall - pumpkin facts, no jack-o-lanterns)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Dionne Pells

new book found for counting/addition

Unread post by Dionne Pells » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:23 pm

I just thought I would let you all know I found a wonderful new book called MATH FABLES- lessons that count. Author's last name is Tang. It's a fun book to read and has great pictures. This one is a keeper!

Dionne

tabby

Sorting Around the House

Unread post by tabby » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Here are two activities that I found to be helpful around the house while still learning the idea of sorting and putting things into categories. The first involved grocery shopping. While we were in the store, I would ask various questions about items (i.e. is this a fruit/meat/dry good/dairy?). I then had my dd sort the items when we returned home into things that need refrigeration and things to go in the pantry. Lastly, we put everything away together.

The other activity we did was sorting laundry for washing and putting them away once they were folded. That way, we were able to discuss why some things got washed in warm vs. cold water. Then we were able to fold the items by what went in each room of the house and put them in their respective places.

Mom2MnS

NUMBER OF THE DAY EXPLANATION

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:20 pm by Mom2MnS
The number of the day is consecutive...number 1, 2, 3, etc. You write it on the number sheet, the 100 chart, count that many beans, that many cents in the coin cup, put it on a number line, measure that many inches, etc. It all works together that way. HTH!

I am very blessed to have a sister a couple of yrs ahead of us in MFW who helps me when I have those moments.

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:39 pm by Renai
And it's such a great way to ease into base 10/decimal, counting money and doing change. You change out your 10 pennies to make one dime. When you reach 10 beans, you glue them on a popsicle stick to make your first 10. Then using the Number of the Day page, they are adding and subtracting with that number, drawing base 10 representations of that number, etc. My daughter loved it! Each day, they are adding one more number, so learning 10+1, 10+2, etc. all the way to 100. It's a great way to learn the base 10 system, it's concrete, and it makes sense.

Poohbee

Variations on Number of the Day

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:07 pm

Dionne Pells wrote:Has anyone switched the number of the day sheet? I saw again, that Marie mentions that it is fine to re-work the number of the day sheet in some way. We are getting a little bogged down with finding "x" amount of items each day. I'm thinking of having ds gather the items in the morning before we even get to the math lesson, so the materials are there and ready.

Dionne
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 am
In looking at the Number of the Day activities at the beginning of the year, I left out a couple of things, knowing that my dd didn't really need the practice in those things. We never have found the number of items for that number each day. My daughter knows how to count very well, so I didn't think that extra practice was necessary. I can't remember what else I left out, but we have it down so that it works very smoothly and goes pretty quickly each day, and my dd doesn't seem to be tired of it (we just finished [Week 8]).

This is how we do it. I give her the sheet, bean cup, and beans. She adds another bean to the cup (and we glue them to craft sticks when we reach 10). We use the Expanded Form number cards and talk about how many tens and how many ones. She fills out the Number of the Day sheet. We add a coin to our coin cup, and then count the coins. (My dd loves reading the dates on the coins). :-) That's it. I used to walk her through it, but she's so familiar with it now, that I just give her the materials and she completes the sheet herself now, and then I check it and discuss any important points with her. For that second segment on the sheet, where they draw the beans and bean sticks and then write an equation, my dd has liked manipulating the beans and bean sticks to come up with her own equation. For example, for the number 32, she came up with 10+11+11. Sometimes she'll do an easy one, using the numbers from our Expanded Form cards (20+5=25), but usually she makes up her own (13+12=25) using the bean sticks to help her.

Also, during our math period, after Number of the Day, we either read a math story or do a worksheet out of CBoM. I don't schedule a worksheet on a story day. That adds some variety to our day, too.

It works pretty well for us. Hope you find what works well for you and your ds.

cbollin

Blotting paper?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:11 pm

momofsix wrote:On page 19 of Things Outdoors - What is "blotting paper"? What did you use for this experiment? Thanks!
I use a paper towel for seed growing experiments.

(blotting paper is a kind of paper that usually is associated with picking up ink or oil spills from the surface of something else, right? It is sometimes also sold with cosmetics so you can "blot" your lipstick. I don't know if that term is used everywhere or not.)

-crystal

kacairo1

FREE scroll dowels!

Unread post by kacairo1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:01 pm

When it came time to assembling the scroll, I was out of a car so we walked to our local art supply store. Unfortunately they didn't have any dowels to purchase...SOOO we got creative! On our walk back home we kept our eyes on the look out for large sticks that were about the right length, fairly straight, and about an inch in width. We actually found many and were able to be choosy with our finds. Once home, I used a hot glue gun to adhere the sticks to the paper ends. It came out great and gives the scroll a real antique look--for FREE! :)
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

lea_lpz

Re: 1st Grade - Weeks 3 & 4 (with Flowers)

Unread post by lea_lpz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 am

I rented a Bill Nye the Science Guy video on flowers. We've never watched his videos before (well, my dh & I did is kids; he was very popular in the '90's). My dd loved it! They also had an experiment on carnations with food dye we tried. You get white carnations, snip the stems a couple inches in half and them place one stem half in water with food coloring and the other in plain water. You end up have a carnation that's half white and half colored and it illustrates how flowers absorb nutrients and water.

I would of course recommend pre-viewing to make sure you are comfortable with the material. It's a bit pop culturish and their are some jokes about the birds and the bees, but they were over my children's heads, so I felt it was ok.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

froggiemomof3

1st grade- Four Square Cards for advanced readers

Unread post by froggiemomof3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:33 am

bethinga wrote:How are people using the Four Square Cards for advanced readers? Should I use them as copy work? Do they build up into something bigger? What are others doing?
There is one card for each of the short vowels in weeks 3 and 4. Then in weeks 6 and 7 there is one card for each of the long vowels. So when you do the long vowel in either week 6 or 7 you are suppose to pull out the card for the corresponding short vowel (so long a, pull out short a card also) and then mix up the sentences and have them match the sentence with the picture and read the sentence.

My son is an advanced reader but I still had him do the cards in weeks 3 and 4 and saved them like it said. We just finished week 6 and I am having him do the long vowel and short vowel cards but now I am having him glue the sentences on the correct card. It really is just about practice and reinforcing. He knows how to read all the sentences but I have him work on the fluency as he is reading them to me when he glues them on now.
bethinga wrote:Ok, I see, so it doesn't last long. Thank you. I think that will work well as a game if I let my 1st grader read the lines and let the preKer place it by the correct picture.
Ayrielle - Mom of 3; DS5, DD3, DD15months

2012-2013 - MFWK
2013-2014 - MFW1(Learning God's Story)

Ashmeg

Re: 1st Grade - Weeks 3 & 4 (with Flowers)

Unread post by Ashmeg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Week 3-
science- we learned how some insects spread pollen by doing this activity: I had juice boxes for them with a construction paper flower through the straw part and a plate of cheese puffs beside it. They were instructed to pretend to be a bee or butterfly and sip the nectar (juice) and eat the Cheetos without wiping their hands. The Cheetos dust (pollen) got all over their hands and the flower on the juice box. They then walked around the table picking up other paper flowers. The dust was transferred to the other flowers.

We took daisies and put one flower in several different vases filled with food colored water. We watched over the week as the flowers turned the colors of the water they were drinking.

Math- we sorted M&M's by color and graphed them. We also took our huge animal bucket and sorted the animals several different ways (by their habitats, by the number of feet they have, by size, and by color)