Weeks 5 & 6 (with Trees; Shapes)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Julie - Staff

Weeks 5 & 6 (with Trees; Shapes)

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Science - Tree(s)

You may also find related Science ideas posted on other boards:

Kindergarten Unit Ideas board
Leaf: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48

ECC Country Ideas board
Forests: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=158

TammyB

Pleasant Words proverb

Unread post by TammyB » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 pm
May I share a bit about our day? I am so pleased to report that we have really gotten into a good groove with MFW first grade. YEAH!!! Chandler is doing wonderfully with the phonics lessons, and I could just not be more pleased.

This week we are memorizing the Proverb, "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." This morning I introduced a "pleasant word jar." The children get to put a glass bead in a jar each time they use pleasant words. You should have heard all the pleasant words around my house today!

Chandler counted the beads at lunchtime and discovered that the jar held twenty. Since the number of the day was 26, I asked him how many more beads we needed to add to the jar to make the quantity the number of the day. He proudly answered six! At 22 beads he knew he needed four more. (Just gotta love the number of the day activities!)

In addition to phonics, math, and Bible we had time to enjoy some reading from the Usborne Children's Encyclopedia, the First Book of Nature, and Enjoying Art with Children. In just a moment we are going to read some poems together from Eric Carle's Animals! Animals! and read a few chapters from the fourth book in the Boxcar Children series.

It was a wonderful day even though my toddler did not nap! If only every day could go as well as today!

Blessings to all, and thanks to all who have offered encouragement to me as we struggled to bond with the phonics.

Tammy

Mom2MnS

Favorite Books - Trees

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:56 pm

Here are a few books that we really enjoyed this lesson:

A Log's Life (this one is on the book list, and is wonderful!)
Winnie-the-Pooh and the Honey Tree AA Milne
The Lorax Dr Seuss
Mr Putter & Tabby Pick the Pears Cynthia Rylant
Henry & Mudge and the Tall Tree House Cynthia Rylant

Also, the bark rubbing activity in Things Outdoors was an activity my dd really enjoyed!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

lofgrenhomeschool

Bark and Leaf Rubbing

Unread post by lofgrenhomeschool » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:26 pm

We did the bark rubbing, but then also did a leaf rubbing with leaves from the same tree and then I had my daughter draw a picture of the tree and we put all of these in her nature notebook. She loved the leaf rubbing because she did it with red, brown, green, orange, and yellow crayons, so it looked like a page full of fall-colored leaves.

Christa

jangreer

leaf book

Unread post by jangreer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:05 pm

We put together a leaf book. We did this last year with MFWK, but dd wanted to do it again.

I bought a 6x6 scrapbook at the dollar store. We collected 18 leaves and pressed them in wax paper until they were flat and dry (a few days). DD used stickers and made one title page and put the leaves on scrapbook paper, one per page. We were going to add the bark rubbings project on each page (from things outdoors) but dd lost interest.

On the last page, dd copied Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees...according to their various kinds." And it was so.
Jan in NC
10 yo CtG
8 yo Ctg
6 yo MFW1
2 yo

RachelT

Favorite Books & Nature Guides

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:25 pm

jangreer wrote:We put together a leaf book. We did this last year with MFWK, but dd wanted to do it again.
We did this, too, but just did leaf rubbings and practiced tree identification with some nature guides.

Two of our favorite books from the list in the TM are Be a Friend to Trees (our library even had an audio tape to follow along with) and A Tree is Nice.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Poohbee

Favorite Book – Trees

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:14 pm

One book we love about trees is The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

lyntley

leaf book printables

Unread post by lyntley » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:40 am

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:53 pm
Here are some neat printables to add to your leaf books. I was thinking we would use them to separate the sections.
http://www.kidzone.ws/plants/index.htm

Rox

Favorite Book - Trees

Unread post by Rox » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:35 pm

A wonderful book: _THE GIFT OF THE TREE_ by Alvin R. Tresselt[/u]
Rox, wife of a Godly man and mother of two boys.
We are thrilled to have used MFW for many years. Thanks to God for blessing our family through homeschooling with MFW!!!

Julie - Staff

1st grade reading chart question

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:29 pm

momofsix wrote:We did [Week 6 Monday] today and the TM says to "Locate long vowel a spelled a_e on the Reading Chart"

My question is, then what? How am I really supposed to use the reading chart?
Thanks.
Postby Winkie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 pm
I've been having my 1st grader color in that box with a yellow crayon. That way we can easily see which sounds we've already learned. (i got that idea from somewhere on these boards :-)

Postby lisa062797 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 pm
If I remember correctly, you don't *have* to do anything. The chart is just kind of a visual reference for the different phonics rules.

What we did, though, was fill in each box with a highlighter as we studied it. Then, at the end of the year, we could see it all filled in and the progress made.
momofsix wrote:I didn't think of using it as a progress chart by having my dd color each new sound learned. I like that idea! Thanks!
Postby KimberlyND » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:57 am
We still use the reading chart although not as often as we did before. My son struggled in reading last year but has really taken off now.

I have it on the wall directly in front of his desk. While he does his spelling he can look for the spellings of certain sounds.

Mom2theteam wrote:What is the purpose of the reading chart in 1st?

I'm sure it will become clear as we go along, but I don't see the purpose for the reading chart explained anywhere in the first manual. I'm thinking it's for visualization and to reference as the kids get farther along, but since I've never taught a child to read, I'm not sure. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
*UPDATED* in post #5
Posted Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:01 pm by Winkie
It's to help the child remember what the "rule" is. For example the "ph" box has a picture of a frog to remind them that ph makes a fff sound. When the manual instructs you to locate a sound learned on the chart, we would color in the box with a yellow highlighter. It's fun to go through the year and see how many phonics rules have been learned and then "Look honey, only 3 more rules left to learn!"
Mom2theteam wrote:Thanks!! That is a good idea. But, I laminated ours. :~ We could still mark it though. :-)
Posted Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 pm by mlhom4him
We also use the Reading Chart as a way to review all the different sounds that we had studied. I would do this several times a week.

Later when she was working on her spelling she would use this chart to spell words. Helped a ton with spelling.
Mary Lou

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am by Mom2theteam
Update Something started happening a couple of days ago that had me giggling at myself about asking this question. So, I thought I would update on what I've learned. ;)

A couple of days ago we were supposed to learn /ar/. The day got away from us and we didn't get to do it. As I was cooking dinner, my son says to me, "Mom, we didn't do "ar". What does it say.....Does it say /ar/....like in star?" Me: "YES! How did you know that??" (I had not told him even though I did tell him we were going to learn "ar".) Then, he told me he looked on his reading chart! I have it laminated and displayed under the plexiglass that covers our kitchen table where we work. Since then, he has been looking at the chart a lot. He has also been checking off what we learn each day and he is enjoying that. Suddenly, the purpose has become clear. :-)

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am by asheslawson
I love that!!!! I felt like it seemed to confuse my daughter a little at first - so I just put it in a sheet protector and kept it in our work space. By the end of the year - she would grab it herself if she needed to look at it. It was a great help by the end of the year.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 am by Yodergoat
We're enjoying the reading chart as well, now that it isn't just a mysterious piece of paper but is something tangible that can be "marked off" as she learns the sounds. We use a pink highlighter and just trace around the outside of each box. It has become a great motivation!

Awesome that it helped your son make the connection for /ar/ even before you had taught it, Heather!

Julie - Staff

Week 6 honeycomb suggestions

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 pm

momem3 wrote:I know the TM suggests getting a honeycomb for MFW-1st grade. Can anyone direct me to a resource for this? There is a local bee farmer but I am having trouble figuring out how to get ahold of them. Can you buy one at a farmer's market or something?

BTW, son is so proud of his scroll we made today! So is his mommy...but then again, I always am proud of these munchkins. We are going to decorate it with knobs at the ends when Daddy gets home. Too fun!
TIA, Emily
Postby cbollin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 pm
Emily,
My manual said "if possible get a honeycomb"..... so, I didn't worry about it. way back when I lived in Indiana, we had a children's science museum that had a honeybee display (and a way for them to fly in and out) and it had something to look at. So, knowing me, I did a field trip :)

you could just as easily pull up some pictures of honeycombs from online and just look.

How about previewing this possibility?
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/honeycomb.html
you can click on the pics just to preview and look with your child. you don't have to buy any of those

It's always possible that some store near you carries Bee Pure Honey
http://www.beepurehoney.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22
or another brand that has comb in the jar?
that exists in some stores. maybe a natural food store hear you might know? or farmer's market like you said.

Postby Lucy Robertson » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm
Hey Emily,

As Crystal said it is optional. I have seen some honey jars in the grocery store with a small bit of honey comb in it before so you may try that are a natural foods store. Otherwise I would not worry about it too much.

Happy hunting!

Postby Jami » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:13 am
I just saw jars of honey with the honey comb in them at Walmart today like Lucy was talking about. They are in the ethnic foods isle where the Mexican food section is. One jar was about $5.50. We skipped that when we did first grade last year because I couldn't find one, but I bought it today so I can show my kids.

Postby Teresa in TX » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 am
This was going to be my suggestion as well. I have a jar of that honey up in the cabinet, having saved it for ds. It is really cool to the kids to see that honeycomb in there as you serve up the honey.

Postby momem3 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:18 am
thanks everyone! I am considering heading to a farmer's market that sells honey to see if they have any honeycombs. If not, I'll check out walmart and be satisfied that I tried.
Emily

karlafoisy

Shapes Activities

Unread post by karlafoisy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Shape Bingo: Make a 4x4 grid for your child. Have each child fill in the spaces with shapes of their choice. They can repeat if they want to. Limit the shapes to the ones they learned this week. Give them pennies for place markers. Randomly call out various shapes, and whoever fills in a whole line wins!

Shape Scavenger Hunt. Have your kids go on a hunt for items around the house that are various shapes. For instance, find something that is a circle and ticks. Find something that is a rectangle and keeps our food cold. Find something that is a square and talks and show moving pictures, etc.

Shape Mural: Have the kids use shapes to make a picture. For instance, a house with a square and a triangle.

kacairo1

Art idea

Unread post by kacairo1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 pm

1. go on a nature walk to collect colorful leaves and small twigs
2. using a piece of construction paper, trace your child's hand and arm to look like a bare tree
3. glue leaves on the top
4. hot glue the twigs in the trunk portion
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

cbollin

Lesson on /ng/ Week 5 Thursday

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:This is the first time I'm hitting a teaching snag in phonics. I'm probably going to call the office, but I can't till later. So, I'll ask for any expertise you wonderful ladies have.

I'm really struggling to figure out what sound they are trying to get us to say with /ng/. I can't seem to isolate it and have it be a sound that can be added to the end of a word like "sing" and "sang." To me, they are completely different sounds, "ing" and "ang." In the words "sing, wing, thing, ring," I can hear the n and the g if I really pay attention, but I really can barely find it at all in the words "sang, bang, hang, rang." I can hear that the "a" has more like an /an/ sound than an /a/ sound, but I can't really seem to pull out a /ng/ sound, whatever that is. :~ And in the words MFW has as saying /ng/ with just an "n," I hear no /g/ sound at all like in "tank, bank, thank, drank." I'm really confused.

I can't move forward till I figure this out....or can I? I think not. :~ So, probably no phonics today. This is my sneaky way of getting out of it today. :-) Just kidding.

(I know I will probably have to call the office to get this figured out because I'm going to need to actually hear the sound and the computer won't help with that, but I thought I'd ask since you Ladies are all so wise. :-) )

ETA - I wanted to add, as much as someone can "not have an accent" I don't. I grew up in No. VA and we don't have any strong "accent." So, it isn't a regional problem. I just come naturally defunct. 8[]
regional accents will come into play anytime you're working with "a" followed by "n". whether it is an, man, can.. or sang rang.. even if you're from no. va. ;) it's not so much accent thing as the way our mouth forms the n after a. giggle...

I think the lesson is going for seeing "ng" as a sound instead of /n/ plus /g/

Try this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v7Yl4phJcg
yes, he's british.. but it will help.. a little. he gives at least one example where ng is split over 2 syllables and does say N, then g. jungle. kangaroo.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Lesson on /ng/ in 1st day #54

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:(I know I will probably have to call the office to get this figured out because I'm going to need to actually hear the sound and the computer won't help with that, but I thought I'd ask since you Ladies are all so wise. :-) )
You could listen to the words you mentioned by going to http://www.dictionary.com/, entering the word, and then clicking on the little speaker. It wouldn't give the sounds broken out, but it might help you hear the similarities?

I think the most helpful thing with sounds is to learn how to place the tongue and lips. At least that was the case when I tutored lots of kids from other countries. So for /ng/ I might say:
- The /ng/ sound is voiced, meaning it does get your vocal cords vibrating (the best comparison is thin vs. this, where the /th/ in "thin" is not voiced but the /th/ in "this" is voiced, and you can feel the vibration under your jaw).
- But /ng/ has the back of the tongue raised, which sends the air out the nose rather than the mouth.
- The /ng/ sound is a little bit close to just a /n/ sound; however, with just /n/ you would raise a more forward part of the tongue and the sound would come out the mouth.

Another interesting thing is that English only uses this sound at the end of words. Other languages will use it at the beginning of words and it feels strange to us. e.g. There are quite a few "Nguyen" families from Vietnam in Minnesota.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Mom2theteam

Re: Lesson on /ng/ in 1st day #54

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Yay! Crystal's video did the trick for me. :-)

Julie, thanks! I wish I knew all that info because I often feel like I'm teaching a little blind. :~ My aunt is a Nguyen. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Ashmeg

A Thankful Tree

Unread post by Ashmeg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Since we are at the start of fall, we started a thankful tree. Each Friday, we will write something we are thankful for on a paper leaf and hang from our thankful tree (a branch). We will do through Thanksgiving. This is not really educational, but is a nice kickoff for the next two week study on trees:).