Weeks 8 & 9 (with Rain, Thunder & Lightning)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Ariasarias

Weeks 8 & 9 (with Rain, Thunder & Lightning)

Unread post by Ariasarias » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:16 am

Good book for 1st Science

We read a good book that I found at the library for "thunder and lightning." It's called The Big Storm by Bruce Hiscock. It very vividly describes a big storm system that swept the US in the spring of 1982. It is good for showing how your weather is impacted by weather systems all over the world. We really enjoyed it.

RachelT

RAIN!

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:05 pm

We have had a severe drought this summer and God timed our first storm/rain in a long time to coincide with the Rain week. The day after we made our rain gauge out of a milk jug - we were able to measure up to almost 2 inches of water over a three day period later that week! It's neat to see how God teaches us what we need to learn and uses His wonderful creation!

When we made the cloud/rain model, instead of using a pan with ice cubes on top of the boiling pot of water, we just had a glass see-through lid for the pot and we could see the droplets forming inside of the lid as the water boiled.

We also like these books: Clifford the Weather Dog by Norman Birdwell and Weather ABC by B.A. Hoena.

A great video for this weeks' topic is a Bill Nye the Science Guy video about the Water Cycle.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

RachelT

Thunder & Lightning!

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:11 pm

We saw a huge row of storm clouds with lighting flashing and thunder sounding in the distance and then I had the children illustrate a picture in our nature notebooks of the storm we saw. It's neat to see how God teaches us what we need to learn and uses His wonderful creation!

We enjoyed The Magic School Bus Kicks Up a Storm.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Mom2MnS

Rain Fun

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:45 pm

We are charting the weather for each month this year. I made simple charts with boxes for my dd to draw the weather symbol in each day. We are also using the rain gauge to measure rainfall and charting that.

Another fun thing we did was dance in the rain :) I highly recommend it anytime, but it was especially fun during this unit. Go out as soon as the "sprinkles" begin so that you can experience them, and then the heavy drops and then the medium drops... Take some black construction paper out with you and you can really see the sizes and how the drops behave when they hit the surface. You can also take different containers outside and listen to the rain music.

We enjoyed the following books while studying rain: In the Rain with Baby Duck by Amy Hest, Rain Song by Leslie Evans, and A Fine Picnic by Hoffman & Baxter.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

Mom2MnS

Favorite Book - Thunder & Lightning

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Our favorite book for this topic was Thundercake by Patricia Polacco. We are still waiting for a day to make our cake :)
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

Erna

Bible Lands Map

Unread post by Erna » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:48 am

Here is a Bible lands map resource I found http://www.bible.ca/maps/maps-near-east ... ourney.jpg.

I am still looking for others that may be useful. Does anyone have a good site to share???? :0)

kacairo1

Act out the water cycle

Unread post by kacairo1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:36 pm

We used paper plates and cut out a big cloud and a big rain drop for each kid and then used a construction paper strip to make a band around their head and attached the cloud/rain drop to separate strips. We put a blue table cloth on the floor to symbolize a body of water (lake, etc). I read the boxes and the kids acted it out, changing their head pieces as we went. They wrapped themselves in the table cloth at the end as one big cloud--very cute!
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

The Kindred

Re: 1st Grade - Weeks 8 & 9 (with Rain, Thunder & Lightning)

Unread post by The Kindred » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:58 am

We are just starting Week 9 today (a day late due to Labor Day) and the first day went great! In explaining Proverbs 29:11 to my son - I found it helpful to show him the heat vent in our home and use it as an illustration for giving 'full vent' (open) and being under control (closed). He was confused when he first read the word 'vent' but after showing him what it meant using the heat vent - he totally got it! We also yelled and hit the ground when we opened the vent and then became quiet and calm when we closed it. This really helped to drive home the point of the verse and gives me a visual to use again when there are temper tantrums. Hope that helps someone else!
Jaci in MI

DS1 (8 yr old) - Adventures in U.S. History
DS2 (5 yr old) - Kindergarten
DD1 (3 yr old) - 'Play' School
DD2 (5 months) - Happily cooing and distracting Mommy!

akoldenhoven

Unread post by akoldenhoven » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 pm

There is a wonderful resource for experiments on Thunder and Lightning (as well as other weather related areas) at http://www.weatherwizkids.com/weather-thunderstorms.htm. The experiments are listed toward the bottom of the page after the descriptions and explanations of Thunderstorms.
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Here I found 2 fabulous maps to show my son as we make our Bible Times map:

https://bible.org/article/net-bible-maps

Scroll down to the lists of maps. Skip past the first 12 maps. Select "Old Testement Map 1- The World of the Patriarchs". This shows the exact map we're directed to draw. The Dead Sea and Sea of Galilee are very tiny. To see a closer view of these, select "Old Testement Map 2- The Travels of the Patriarchs".

I'm sure many other maps listed here may come in handy as we study the Bible Reader.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Ldrhodes

Unread post by Ldrhodes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 am

For the lightening picture, I used some foam I had left over from previous projects. The foam was self adhesive, so when I cut out the simple shapes, my son just took off the sticky and put them where he wanted them. Cotton for clouds, glue and glitter for lightening, glitter foam for the raindrops. He added apples to the tree, flowers and a butterfly to the bushes. He also could have cut out the shapes, but the foam is bulky for small hands!