Weeks 11 & 12 (with Beach, Under the Sea; Subtraction)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Poohbee

Favorite Books - Seashores

Unread post by Poohbee »

Other books we enjoyed about sand, shells, and the seashore:

Usborne 1001 Things to Spot in the Sea
The Berenstain Bears' Seashore Treasure by Stan and Jan Berenstain
The Sand Castle Contest by Robert Munsch
Harry by the Sea by Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham

Harry by the Sea is a companion book to Harry the Dirty Dog. These are older books. My dd really enjoys the "Harry" books. One small disclaimer: In Harry by the Sea, Harry meets up with a larger lady and "walks in the shade that the fat lady made." Just wanted to let you know about that in case that text will offend anyone. Other than that, it is a delightful book.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy
Mom2MnS

Favorite Books - Beaches

Unread post by Mom2MnS »

Some of our favorites from this topic:

Turtle Bay by Pirotta & Mistry
Benjamin's Treasure by Garth Williams
Lonesome George the Giant Tortoise by Francine Jacobs

I also have one recommendation from our own bookshelf. It is Seashells, Crabs and SeaStars by Christiane K Tibbitts. It is a gorgeous "take along guide" book for children (and adults). I particularly like the illustrations - marvelous for sketching and coloring into our nature notebooks. There are also several project ideas.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16
Mom2MnS

Favorite Books - Under the Sea

Unread post by Mom2MnS »

Our favorite stories from this topic:

I Wonder if I'll See a Whale by Frances Weller
Nico's Octopus by Pitcher & Mistry

We also really enjoyed Night of the Moonjellies and The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor from the book list in the TM.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16
Cyndi (AZ)

Wee Sing DVD

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

We borrowed a DVD from the library - Wee Sing Under the Sea. Great video that dd loved watching. And watching again.

All day lonnnggg, just a swimmin' in the sea . . .
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
Julie - Staff

sing music to learn the books in the Bible for MFW 1

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:15 am by Mumto3
We used the cd that MFW sells in the preschool package. Wee Sing Bible Songs. There was a new and old testament songs on it as well. It was fun for us. I would start the CD on the song The B I B L E and let it go for a few songs to include the names of the books of the Bible. It was a fun way to start the day. I'm mentioning it because it was easy to take in the van too.
Julie - Staff

Bible Notebook Question

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

amelasky wrote:I am confused after reading the instructions for the Bible notebook [Week 12 Tuesday]. I don't understand HOW we will be using the same page for all seven days. Please help explain this to a NON-Visual mom.
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:35 pm by momto6
If you look on [Thursday] you will see that the notes for Bible notebook say to color water on the bottom 1/4 of the left side of the page and clouds on the top 1/4...then another day you will be gluing brown paper over some of the water, etc... Hope that helps!

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:50 pm by cbollin
Basically you will add on a little bit each day for just the creation information. In K (which you may or may not have done) when the creation unit was taught, each day had 1 sheet of paper. So day 1 of creation had it's picture. Day 2 had it's own. etc...

In 1st grade, you will take the days one at a time, but put it all on one sheet of paper. The instructions are in there each time. Essentially you will make light and dark, then add Sky and Water, land. Then flowers, trees.
Then when you get to God made Sun moon and Stars, you'll add pictures (or stickers in my case) of those things in the Sky section. We put stars in both light and dark in the sky. Can't remember what the t.m. says to do about that.
Eventually you add birds in the sky. Fish in water. Animals and People on the land.

It just takes several school days to make the full picture on one sheet instead of several school days to make 7 separate pictures on separate sheets.
-crystal
undivided heart

Bible Story supplemental for younger siblings

Unread post by undivided heart »

We, like many of you I'm sure, have several children's bibles/devotionals. One in particular that we are really impressed with is called "The New Bible In Pictures for Little Eyes" (Kenneth Taylor). It seems to include more of a variety of stories from the bible than most of the others. Stories that we expect to see, but also the more "obscure" ones and ones that speak of Israel's disobedience and the consequences for this which are good lesson topics that we usually can find application for quite quickly each day in our home :o).

Anyway... this bible has several stories about almost all of the people that are included in the bible portion of MFW1. While my 6 yr. old and I read and do the bible story for her lesson, my 3 yr. old looks at this bible (pictures are GREAT) and we take a part of the time to read the bible's text for him, as it is more on his level. Then he knows what story/character we are talking about for the day and feels included more. (I know many of you already do similar things with your younger ones, but just wanted to get the title of this particular bible out there, b/c we have been so amazed at the straight forward text and the authors choice of which stories to include... lots of "hard" topics and not always so "flowery", but truthful and sobering.

Carla (Scott's wife)
Mommy to Grace-6 (MFW1), Luke-3(MFW preschool), Isaac-7mo.
HeyChelle

Organized First

Unread post by HeyChelle »

Can I tell you how excited I am about the first grade Bible Notebook? I think that has been my favorite part of MFW to date - in any level of MFW.

Sunday they are having an art paper sale at Michaels and I'm going to go buy myself a watercolor paper spiral notebook and a new set of water color pencils and make my own Bible Notebook to go along with DS-6 as we go through First grade this winter/spring. (No - I am NOT and artist. Not by any stretch of the imagination.) :-)
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog
The Kindred

Beach Field Trip

Unread post by The Kindred »

Our family went on a field trip this week to the beach! It was late September and I learned that it is a great time to go to the beach. We pretty much had it to ourselves for most of the morning, then people started trickling in closer to noon. It was sunny and warm - beautiful! The kids loved throwing rocks in the water, climbing the dunes and 'treasure' hunting for rocks, shells, feathers, etc. We live in W. Michigan so being on Lake Michigan doesn't offer tide pools, seaweed, sea life or shells like we learned about in our books but it was a great opportunity to talk about the difference between inland freshwater lakes and salt water oceans. Hint: if you find a feather - keep it! You will need it for week 13!
Jaci in MI

DS1 (8 yr old) - Adventures in U.S. History
DS2 (5 yr old) - Kindergarten
DD1 (3 yr old) - 'Play' School
DD2 (5 months) - Happily cooing and distracting Mommy!
Ashmeg

Number Line Game

Unread post by Ashmeg »

For math, it is suggested in week 12 to draw a chalk number line and practice subtraction. We made a very large one and I shouted out math sentences and my kids hopped to the answer. For example, I would say 10-4. He would stand on the ten, hop back 4 spaces and then tell me the answer. Both my kids loved this game!
lea_lpz

Field Trips

Unread post by lea_lpz »

We had a wonderful time with these weeks the weeks prior to Thanksgiving!

We went to a monarch preserve on the beach and had a lovely fall picnic with grilled cheese sandwiches and soup and walked on the beach. A fall beach trip is a very different experience. It's quieter and since no one was going to sw I think the kids observed more.

We went to an aquarium after week 12 and although we've gone pretty frequently I noticed my kids are taking their time more on exhibits versus rushing through and remembering the names of anals.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)