Week 18 (with Measurement; 2-Digit Addition/Subtraction)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Julie - Staff

Week 18 (with Measurement; 2-Digit Addition/Subtraction)

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:47 am

Additional ideas might be located on other boards:
Mathematics / Teaching Weights & Measures: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6742

RachelT

Bible picture books

Unread post by RachelT » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:31 am

My children like to look at pictures while listening to our Bible stories so we've been able to find some books at the library to supplement our Bible reading in this way.

Joseph and His Magnificent Coat of Many Colors by Marcia Williams
"Get Lost, Little Brother": The Story of Joseph by Marilyn Lashbrook
The Story of Baby Moses by Alice Joyce Davidson
Who Needs a Boat? The Story of Moses by Marilyn Lashbrook
The Story of Exodus by Alice Joyce Davidson
Miriam: A woman who saw the answer to her prayers, retold be Marlee Alex
We also own the board book: The Story of the Ten Commandments by Patricia A. Pingry it's a nice way of explaining the commandments to younger children
The Story of Joshua by Alice Joyce Davidson
The Wall That Did Not Fall by Marilyn Lashbrook (Joshua and Rahab)

Rachel
Last edited by RachelT on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Poohbee

Lots of Measuring

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Since we did the measurement unit in math before this science unit, and we did many of the things mentioned in the Usborne science book during the math unit, we did things a little bit differently.

During the math measurement unit, we focused mostly on measuring length and height.

During this science unit on "measuring things", we focused more on weight and liquid measurements. We measured objects around the house on a kitchen scale that I have. Then, we learned about cups, pints, quarts, and gallons by measuring water in the kitchen. Finally, we measured a cup of sugar and 2 quarts of water to make Kool-Aid. My daughter loved discovering that there are 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, and 4 quarts in a gallon by measuring water in different sized containers on her own.

We read the book Millions to Measure, by David M. Schwartz. It is a wonderful book for measurement! It starts out talking about how people measured size, weight, and volume long ago, and how they eventually saw the need for standard measures. It talks about U.S. measures and ends by talking about the metric system. It's just a really great book about measurement, and the illustrations by Steven Kellogg are delightful!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Texas Gal

Idea to help with summarizing

Unread post by Texas Gal » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:44 am

To help my kids learn to summarize the bible stories for their bible notebooks, we play "Pinky Dinky Doo." There's a kid's show on cable by this name, and at the end of each episode, Pinky Dinky Doo plays a variety of games to aid in listening and comprehension skills. In one of these games, she presents three different statements, and the viewer has to select which sentence best summarizes what today's story was about. My kids love this, so we have incorporated this idea into our bible story assignments. The first couple of times we had to summarize, I made up three different sentences and made my kids pick the best one. Now, they insist on making up the sentences themselves and take turns picking the best one. Then, they write the "winner" in their bible notebooks and illustrate as instructed. Turning this into a game has saved a lot of grumbles!
Michele, mom to 14yo dd and 12yo ds
MFW-K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Ex1850, 1850MOD, AHL

jangreer

Joseph with a 2yo

Unread post by jangreer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Today we studied Joseph. We are going to make a patch work coat in our notebook tomorrow (out of pieces of tissue paper). You could use fabric.

Ideas for my 2yo:

After attending a conference this weekend (thanks so much David !!) I was thinking of little things the 2 yo can do along with us in school. We played some bible cds with the Joseph story (Usbourne Bible Stories and Children's Memory Bible) We put on a colorful coat (bathrobe) to pretend to be Joseph.

For math, my 2yo put pegs in the Lauri number/pegs and counted. Later my 6 yo made addition equations with a notecard addition and equal sign. (This was David's idea, not mine)

Then later, my 8yo made out x4 flashcards with the 4 piece. So, my 2yo was really pleased that he did the same math as his big sisters'.

If anyone else is teaching a 2 or 3 year old along with an older sibling, please post simple ideas to include them. I really need them.
Jan in NC
10 yo CtG
8 yo Ctg
6 yo MFW1
2 yo