Weeks 21 & 22 (with Water; Addition)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Mom2MnS

Weeks 21 & 22 (with Water; Addition)

Unread post by Mom2MnS »

"Manna recipe"

I found this in the [CTG] archives and thought others might like it as well.

=======================================
To my knowledge there is no exact recipe from the Lord for manna.
Also I have seen it represented as small round loafs.

Reference is Exodus 16:14, 31
1 cup of flour
1 tbsp Coriander
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup hot water.

Mix together, and knead a few times. Roll out thin. I used the back end of
my baster to cut small circles about the size of a nickel. I fried
them in a skillet turning until slightly browned.

========================================
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... der#p28740
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16
wisdomschool

1st Grade Naration idea

Unread post by wisdomschool »

My son said something today that reminded me of how we did narrations in 1st grade--I thought it might be helpful for some of you who have kids that don't like writing/struggle with writing and/or just want to add a "fun" idea to use every now and again:

My son really enjoyed using a tape player w/ little microphone and recording his summaries on tape. He would usually go do the narration by himself and I would listen to it later--very sweet!

Blessings,
Debbie
Momma & Teacher to my super seven:

Kanen-6th
Abia-4th
Charis-3rd
Tobias-1st
Elijah-3 y.o.
Micah-2 y.o.
Eden-3 mo.
ruthie5573

A great movie rec for 1st grade

Unread post by ruthie5573 »

We just checked out the The Ten Commandments (with Charleston Heston) from our library. It is SO exciting to watch with my 1st grader...and my other kids are also sitting still and watching too! The movie fits in beautifully with where we are right now and it is really neat to see the bible coming alive on screen. I don't remember seeing this movie growing up--it is such a wonderful classic! I think there are 3 or 4 DVDs since it's a really long movie. We watched about an hour tonight and plan to watch a little each night.
Melanie

Mom of 3
7-year old boy
5-year old boy
3.5-year old girl

Proverbs 13:19
"A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul"

Just starting ADV & K
Mom2M&M

Memorizing the 10 Commandments

Unread post by Mom2M&M »

I saw a video about 7 years ago on a informational piece by The Way of the Master. It quickly went through the 10 Commandments in cartoon style. I immediately memorized them and have yet to forget them. When we came to this lesson I knew I wanted to teach my children the same way. I found a copy of the cartoon on youtube. And while there is questionable material on youtube this particular video is only the 10 Commandments. I'm going to post the link for anyone interested in using this. It is really a VERY easy way for children and adults to learn and forever remember them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvSkuSKgwmY
schelean

When will 1st grade math "click" - Teaching Addition

Unread post by schelean »

My new word this year is model. Model, model, model is my mantra. I have given my dh instructions to please ask me if I modeled the concept whenever I whine about what a tough day we have had. When my kids are struggling with something old or something new I try to remember to just model it for them. It has done wonders for all of our attitudes. It has helped my kids see how things should happen.

I have 2 examples off the top of my head. One is addition with my little guy. I have him build the large number with blocks and then add the number of blocks in the problem. He still doesn't always get it. So I just model it for him. So, for 5+3 I would have him get five blocks of one color (they connect to each other) and to add 3 he would get 3 connected blocks of another color. I will start with 5 and count up with the blocks 5, 6, 7, 8. I hope that made sense. Another example is diagramming with Dd11. We would both get very frustrated with it. I finally remembered to model it. I would do the sentence on the board. Then do another, and another. Within just a day or two, Dd11 was getting it with ease.

All that to say...usually our kids have no experience with a concept, nothing to pull from. We need to give them the correct way to do things before we just expect them to get it right. It has taken me 6 years of homeschooling to finally realize how important modeling is for my kids. God is good and has shown me what I was missing in parenting and teaching. Hope that might help you too or at least give you something to springboard from.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6
akoldenhoven

Re: 1st Grade - Weeks 21 & 22 (with Science)

Unread post by akoldenhoven »

For the "Find the Grapes" activity in Week 22 (pg. 191), we got our Bible costumes back out from earlier in the year and went to "spy" on the Promised Land. I combined this activity with the one in Week 23 (pg. 197) and hid not only the grapes, but a pomegranate, jar of honey, pretend cup of milk and some almonds. The kids went to spy and brought back most of their lunch!
ScreenHunter_325 Feb. 01 14.40.jpg
ScreenHunter_325 Feb. 01 14.40.jpg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z
magsmom

Re: 1st Grade - Weeks 21 & 22 (with Science)

Unread post by magsmom »

My daughter and I had the hardest time trying to get the needle to float on water (out of the "Science with Water" experiment for this week). Strange, but we found that if we added an ice cube to our water to cool it down significantly, we were successful after many failed attempts with normal tap water. Go figure...