- Properties of Ecosystems replaced Wild Places, giving a Biblical perspective and including all biomes.
- 7-8th grade lesson plans were added to the Teacher's Manual.
- Student Sheets (including pre-made geography game and little need to photocopy), Parent/Teacher Supplement, pre-printed passport, God Speaks Numanggang (a new book about Bible translation), Kingdom Tales (an added read-aloud), and 7-8th Grade Supplement Package.
SUMMARY OF CHANGES SINCE 2009
- In 2014: All Teacher Manuals received cover changes to reflect the Discover/Investigate/Declare stages. The Currency Kit and Children's Atlas of God's World (replacing Illustrated World Atlas) were added. These may be easy to add, or you can use the materials you have.Here is a sample from Children's Atlas to compare with the book you have: https://www.mfwbooks.com/item/11748/Children-s-Atlas
- In 2016: An expanded version of the Classroom Atlas, and Properties of Ecosystems went to 4th edition.
- In 2017: (a) Student Sheets: Flag pages in Student Sheets are now in color. Current Student Sheets work with all previous manuals.
(b) Teacher's Manual: LLFT lesson numbers were added to weekly grids, and the nonfiction portion of Book Basket was updated.
(c) 7-8th Grade Supplement: Kisses From Katie replaced Peace Child. If you have a 7th or 8th grader, you could use either book during those weeks.
- In 2017-2019: Book Basket was updated. (View the Brazil download on the MFW home page to compare.)
- In 2019: Revised edition of Window on the World.
- A Teacher's Manual upgrade is available for $58 by calling the office to arrange to mail your old one in.
- Current Student Sheets will work with all previous versions of ECC.
Upgrade information summarized from the MFW website:
My Father's World released the second edition of Exploring Countries and Cultures in 2009.
Significant 2009 revisions and upgrades include:
• Much less photocopying required than before.
• Parent/Teacher Supplement with map masters and games, including a parent copy of the Geography Game.
• Student Sheets with full-color, ready-made Geography Game and new Geography Notebook pages (replacing the Appendix pages which previously had to be photocopied).
• Pre-printed passport
• New book on Bible translation: God Speaks Numanggang.
• For science, Wild Places has been replaced by Properties of Ecosystems, which has a Biblical perspective.
• Kingdom Tales, a classic collection of 36 beloved tales that use allegory to reveal truths about the Kingdom of God. Updated by My Father's World to include discussion questions.
• Expanded 7th & 8th Grade Supplement Package.
• 7th & 8th grade lesson plans included each week in the Teacher's Manual.
If you own the first edition of Exploring Countries and Cultures, you can use it again and again as long as you keep all of the original books that match the Teacher's Manual. However, you may exchange your first edition ECC Teacher's Manual (TM) for a new Teacher's Manual for $58. Call our office to request an upgrade (573-202-2000). You will be given information about how to return your TM to our office. Once we receive your TM, a new manual will be sent to you.
New or updated materials, all scheduled in the Teacher's Manual
• Parent/Teacher Supplement
• Properties of Ecosystems (replaces Wild Places)
• Classroom Atlas (replaces Intermediate World Atlas)
• Children's Atlas of God's World (replaced Illustrated World Atlas in 2014)
• God Speaks Numanggang
• 7th-8th Grade Supplement
Purchase One per Student:
• Student Sheets
• Flags of the World (sticker book)
• Exploring World Geography (or may photocopy)
• Kingdom Tales
• Currency Kit (added in 2014)
2nd/3rd Graders, consider adding
• The Complete Book of Animals
If you are only teaching a 7th or 8th grader, some of the items may be optional. Please call our office at 573-202-2000 for help in placing an order.
- See more at: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/9/Expl ... s/#Upgrade (right side of page)
Additional information summarized from Message Board conversations over the years:
1. Classroom Atlas: The Rand McNally atlas has changed covers, page numbers, and names (Intermediate Atlas) over the years. These changes have been mostly cosmetic, for instance moving the illustration of the geography vocab from the front to the back. Usually you can add or subtract 4-6 pages from the Lesson Plan page numbers and find where you should be all year.
However, the 2016, 15th edition has been more of a major change. When I personally compared the two atlases, it seemed that only the intro material, the North America intro, and the section on the USA are extensively lengthened. From Canada to the end of the atlas, the information appeared basically the same. Just be sure you start on the correct continent.
As far as evaluating any changes within the maps in various editions, in order to decide whether you want to update, you could look for Serbia/Montenegro (called Yugoslavia before 2003) and the Southern Ocean (named in 2000-2002), or search for Wikipedia's "List of World Map Changes" and check the most recent 21st century list.
2. Children's Atlas of God's World :
- The former Illustrated World Atlas was the tall, DK-style Usborne book with the large toucan bird on the cover and a green border around the front. It contained paragraphs on each continent’s natural resources etc. It went out of print.
- The new Children’s Atlas (mid 2013) focuses more on “God’s world” and specifically covers all the countries studied in ECC. This can be used with older manuals by finding the pages that match the country/continent being studied.
3. The Living World Encyclopedia: This is now an MFW version. The MFW website states, “My Father's World has had the privilege of influencing secular publishers to edit the content of their books. Walking along-side these publishers, MFW's editorial team has been able to change evolutionary language to more neutral language acceptable to most audiences. The primary change in many rlistttesources is to simply change phrases like ‘millions of year ago’ to ‘many years ago.’”
4. Properties of Ecosystems: Besides the textbook, note that the questions and the answers for POE were added to the ECC Teacher's Manual when the 2nd edition was released in 2009 (these are from the Teacher's book for POE, not sold by MFW). The POE text went to 4th edition in 2016.
5. Properties of Ecosystems Student Sheets: If you are using an older edition of ECC (prior to 2009) with the previously scheduled science books, you can just skip the new science sheets; there were no student sheets for the previous science books, but instead science notebooking was assigned.
6. Student Sheets: Current sets can be used with all previous editions of ECC.
7. Teacher's Manual: The 7-8th grade grid in 2nd edition (2009) makes a manual upgrade especially valuable for families who will have 7-8th graders. In 2013, Teacher's Manual covers were changed to reflect the Discover/Investigate/Declare stages. Print dates will give you the best idea of whether the page numbers in your Manual will match the page numbers in various books used in ECC which may be changed by publishers at various times.
8. Flag stickers: These have changed over the years. Originally used for the passport only, they now are placed on world maps in a sticker book as well.
9. Window on the World: Older editions can be used by locating the "topic" (people group or type of religion), rather than just page numbers.
10. Exploring World Geography: Now blue, this book was formerly purple and called World Geography, but no other changes have been noticed. Update: The blue cover with MFW logo is issued as the 3rd edition, 2014. Minor changes that do not affect assignments have been spotted, such as the Southern Ocean mentioned in the Basic Geo Vocab at beginning of book.
11. Currency Kit : This was added to Deluxe packages in 2014. The kit includes "money" for each country visited in ECC. This "money" was created by My Father's World to introduce students to the look of the currency in each country. The kit is printed in color and will contain enough for 5 students. Older manuals do include the suggestion to find currency samples online and use them as you enter each new country and "stamp" the student's passport.
12. Fast Facts was also added in 2014. Be sure to include math facts practice in some way.
13. 2017: (a) Student Sheets: Flag pages in Student Sheets are now in color. Current Student Sheets work with all previous manuals.
(b) Teacher's Manual: LLFT lesson numbers were added to weekly grids and the nonfiction portion of Book Basket was updated.
(c) Kisses From Katie replaced Peace Child in the 7-8th Grade Supplement. If you have a 7th or 8th grader, you could use either book during those weeks.
14. World Landmark Flashcards were in early versions of the 7-8th grade package but were discontinued by the publisher. You might find similar memory challenges at websites such as Quizlet.
15. Hymns were in the 2007 ECC manual. After that year, the author decided to keep hymns in their historical time period in the last 2 years of the cycle.
16. MFW help sheets were sometimes included with new materials when first added (e.g. when MFW first started using the flag sticker book, or when the ECC 7th & 8th grade suggestion page came out). Those help sheets were also in the new manuals and are no longer needed.