Science - Notebooking ideas / amount for ECC

mom2boys

Science - Notebooking ideas / amount for ECC

Unread post by mom2boys » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:11 pm

Sandra wrote:We have just begun ECC and I have some questions about the science. My children are 2nd and 4th graders.

We are doing the geography two days a week and the science two days a week. My question is did you do a science page every time you read? Or do you do one once a week? Or did you just read the material and not do the science page.

How did you do the science pages? Did you just pick out something you wanted them to draw, or did they pick their own? Sorry, I have so many questions! Thanks for your answers!
I have 1st and 4th grade boys doing ECC this year. Most days we do a notebook page to accompany the science. Today (Week 9 Day 2) we read In The Jungle & Why Rain Forests are Important. The 1st grader drew a banana and a tire (rubber) and I labeled the pictures. My 4th grader copied a picture of a man collecting latex from a tree to make rubber and wrote 3 sentences about it. I let them choose - I just say draw something we learned about today. Most of the time they just copy something directly from the book - but like today my 1st grader drew a tire even though the book just talked about rubber (yeah! he gets it!) My 4th grader draws in greater detail and mostly copies but occasionally will paraphrase the info in his own words. I like the idea of Geography 2 days and Science 2 days - we may try that next week. I also like the idea of putting the lesson title on the page- we may have to try that also. We are really enjoying this year.

Blessings,
~Charlotte

Rainy

Unread post by Rainy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 pm

We don't do the drawing everyday. A lot of days we just read the pages. We add in additional experiments some weeks, and some times we use the time to finish an art project we didn't finish. On the days we do draw the pictures, my children take really long to complete them and we end up using 2 days for one picture. When we do this, I still read the assignment for the current day. Then we turn back and finish the picture from the day before. Needless to say, we don't have very many pictures, but we are learning a lot and having fun.

Liberty In Christ

Unread post by Liberty In Christ » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:56 pm

We have just started week 3 and my dd 11 and ds 10 have been doing the drawing and writing for each reading. It is taking up a bigger chunk of time though than I had originally scheduled. We have re-worked the schedule to allow an extra 15 minutes and then, because they both like to draw and complete these drawings they may use thier free time to finish if they can't complete it during the class time. This hasn't been a problem, because like I said, they both love this and are happy to finish their things up during their free time.
Love in Jesus,
Theresa

Loving wife to Scott, Mommy to Samantha 11, Jonathan 10,
Christopher 6 and Andrew 2

ChristyH

How to make it less painful

Unread post by ChristyH » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:51 pm

kfrench wrote:My kids are having a hard time with doing science notebook pages. It takes forever for them to write them and one daughter hates to draw. I know it is good for them to learn to write, and I want them to learn something, but does anyone have some ideas of how to make it less painful for them? How do you do notebook pages or do you do something else? Just looking for ideas. My girls are 2nd and 4th grade.

Thanks,
Krista
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:45 pm

I have a 10 year old and twins who are 6. I just let them dictate to me, even the 10 year old. I limit the drawing time to about 20 minutes then we dictate. If they want they can color more in the afternoon.

We have lots of drawing books which help with the drawing, 1 2 3 draw are my favorites and you can find them at the library if you know what topic you will be reading about.

I have one son who doesn't like to draw but if I help him and just sketch some of the outline then he adds detail that seems to help.

Just some thoughts.

tkbbrl6

Unread post by tkbbrl6 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:55 pm

I allow my dc to dictate if they don't want to write - and then they either illustrate what I write out or they copy it in their own handwriting.

We also use clip art instead of drawings a lot. Last year with ECC my 8 yo ds used a tracing table and traced his drawings rather than free-handing them.

Sometimes we even just found a color page from a nature color book on on-line that they colored and placed in their notebook.

Other times rather than sentences I allowed them to just randomly place words on the page that they associated with the topic and then they decorated the letters - or used Word Art.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:52 pm

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:26 pm

I require my older kids (ages 8, 11, and 13) to write "half their age" sentences. So, the 8 year old writes 4, the older kids write 5 and 6 sentences (I'm kind and round down). They can draw if they want but don't have to.

When we did ECC my oldest two were in 2nd and 4th grades (and were on the young end too) and I sometimes "got them started" by asking, "What is the most interesting thing on this page?" or, "Is there anything new you learned on this page?" That got them going. Sometimes the science books were overwhelming in the number of things to choose from.

Another idea is for YOU to do a page now and then to model to them. Make your page simple and not very perfect. This will help if they just don't understand what you want from them. When they see that what you want isn't too much, then perhaps they'll relax and give it a try.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:13 pm

My son was in 3rd grade for ECC. He started the year just putting a title under his drawing. Sometimes he would get creative with his title & make a pun or a goofy name. Then I asked for a title and one sentence. When we got to several sentences, sometimes he would dictate them to me (I required him to spell "hard" words for me & dictate punctuation :o).

Oh, and he didn't do a science page every single day that we did science in 3rd grade. But the ones that he did are precious -- and still have learning value as he reviews them.

I do emphasize writing in our homeschool, but he does a majority at the computer & not too much with a pencil.
Julie

Tricia Croke

Unread post by Tricia Croke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:33 am

My dc were 2nd, 4th & 5th grade when we did ECC; and we did the science pages similar to what Kelly said. After reading, looking at the page/s and discussion I would ask the very same questions of my dc that Kelly mentioned and that helped them "to get started".

For my 2nd grader I required him to title his page (i.e., deserts--would be written at the top) illustrate it and label it (i.e, an arrow pointing to a cactus with the word-cactus) but I wrote the caption (from the book) that he would read to me under his illustration. At the end of the year we had a great science notebook that I've saved from each one of our dc.

Jacqueline

Unread post by Jacqueline » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:18 am

When we did ECC last year, my younger son was in 6th grade and he loathes drawing and coloring. He would use tracing paper sometimes, but it just wasn't something that interested him. So we would print pictures from our encyclopedia software or I'd color copy photos from books and he'd cut those out and then add captions and/or labels. Sometimes I would require him to write a paragraph or two, but other times I only had him write a sentence or just label something.

Julie in MN

How many notebook pages?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm

tiffany wrote:How many of you have your children make a page for their notebook for every science lesson? I'm thinking about cutting back to 2 a week. What do you think?
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:42 pm
To answer your question about cutting down to 2 pages per week, my ds detests the pencil & so I often had him do only 1-2 pages per week. It varied according to whether the topics overlapped, whether we had had science class in co-op that week, etc.

If I *did* ask him to do all of the science pages, it helped for him to have some variety. He liked to dictate to me (or to type if you have too many kids to take dictation!), rather than write. And although he mostly used colored pencils (and color stix), he sometimes added stickers or stampers. I also followed someone else's advice & let him use one of the Draw-Write-Now books for drawing desert biome scenes, etc. I think the Hazells also recommend some tracing and other techniques for variety.

I will say that in looking back over his notebook from last year, I am glad for each page he did because it took true *thinking* -- and we review them often!

Julie

cbollin

Re: Ideas for notebooking in ECC with science

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:33 pm

doubleportion wrote:I am finding that the science portion of our binder is rather thin. I know allot of what we are doing is read and done orally for science. Should I be doing more than that? I am not in a state that requires any records.

So should I be content with what is getting done and not worry about it? Hmmm too much thinking out loud and not enough sleep!
Edie
did I mention.... field trip to the zoo? bring camera. take pictures. you'll have a science notebook. aaaahhhh..... it's 3rd grade.

(((hugs))) and get some sleep.

-crystal

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Edie

You MUST do everything on your TM grid, or you are a bad homeschool mom...it does not matter that you are not "sciency".

I was at your house after bedtime last night, and I KNOW your kiddos were asleep. You should have used that time to get your act together, and not spent all your free time chit-chatting with your whiny girlfriend.

BTW...I've also seen your beautiful notebooks from Adventures, and I know there is NO WAY you are not doing enough!

Sorry...I'll let some "real" responses post now.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:32 pm

TriciaMR wrote:You know, when we did ECC last year (1st edition), My dd would dictate to me (2 or 3 sentences) the most interesting/favorite part of what we read and I would type them up in a word document and print it out. Then there was a line, and then there was empty space for the rest of the page. She would draw or use tracing paper and trace a picture to go with the words. She didn't like to write, but did like to draw.
-Trish
Thanks Trish! That is a perfect fit for us too. I will definitely have to do that.

Crystal, I am using 2nd edition. We have been doing some of the World Geography pages. We put those in the Geography Notebook, so I kind of forgot that is science too! (phew, now I feel like am doing better than I thought!) We are keeping it allot lighter with POE. Hah! Forgot about that one too. :~ Okay so maybe I have been doing science more than I thought and just forgetting that it doesn't have to be a journal or notebook section.
cbollin wrote:Re-read the teaching tips for using Living World Encyclopedia. and if you have to identify grasses -- just save that for a trip to the zoo and look at bamboo all over the zoo. You'll get a lot from a good field trip to a certain zoo a few hours away ;) (or come tell me what this grass stuff in Memphis is?)

Go back and re-read the teaching tips section too. You'll want to let them draw (or use that tracing paper, or some stickers, or clip art) one thing from each days reading in Living World. Write a caption for the picture. or copy a favorite sentence from the book, or write one nice sentence from the reading/picture.
Thanks for that tip. I know she would do those things easily. And the illustrations are great in Living World.
cbollin wrote:perhaps you could make sure on nature walk day, one drawing gets done from the week's reading.
Aha! So now I CAN check off nature walk instead of crossing it out each week. Maybe a nature walk in the mind? :-) Can't wait to identify some grasses! Now off to get kids ready for bed so I can SLEEP!!!

:)
Edie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

doubleportion wrote:For those of you who are doing or have done ECC please tell me what you did for your science note booking.
When my ds did ECC in 3rd, his notebook contained:

- the biomes maps
- notebook pages on what we read (I believe instructions are in the teacher manual)
- vocabulary cards (they fit in photo-sized page protectors)
- pictures of the experiments he did
- anything from animal-related field trips etc
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:55 pm

doubleportion wrote:After looking at Lainie's blog pictures I am wondering if I should be doing more.
Edie, I don't get on the board much these days but I saw this and wanted to chime in and say that the Notebooking pictures displayed on my blog were done by a 5th grader that LOVED notebooking and so I wanted to give her the opportunity to break out of the 8 1/2 by 11 box.

Our third grader strongly DISLIKED the notebooking and because of issues she has, really has an aversion to lots of colors. Her notebooking was the "Travel journal" and it is hard to show pictures of that.

I just didn't want you to think your daughter NEEDED to do more by looking at notebooking from an older student that WANTED to do more.

KWIM?

Okee dokee then, going back into hiding now...
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

cbollin

Re: ECC science notebooking

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:24 am

Fenni wrote:We have not been making any notebook pages for ECC science. My son is 8 and I just can't imagine adding one more thing to his plate. He dawdles. What I'm wondering is if not doing science notebook pages this year will in anyway put us behind for the future with MFW. insights?
I think you'll be fine. When my oldest did ECC 6 years ago while age 8 -- she didn't do many notebooking pages either. I barely knew what that meant.

If you wanted to do something with science pages once in a while for the next semester, one suggestion would be to draw one item from Living World that week and label the picture. Go get tracing paper if you need to and let him trace a picture on tracing paper, put that picture on other paper and write a caption for it. You can use pictures from Ecosystems, but I think the LIving World book is easier for picking smaller items to draw.

If the concern is also about the pages from Ecosystems: with an 8 y.o you can write their oral answers on those sheets and call it class project. The sheets are there to help with reviewing the information.

-crystal

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 am

We haven't made any pages either except one time I had him trace a picture with tracing paper. But that didn't work so well for him. My ds is 8, too. I do have him narrate after I read the science pages. And we occasionally do the nature notebook.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Fenni wrote:What I'm wondering is if not doing science notebook pages this year will in anyway put us behind for the future with MFW. insights?
I think the best thing to work on as far as science goes is observation. Nature walks and reading about science topics can both help kids to look more closely at their world. Neither needs to be done in writing, but I'd just encourage you to nudge your son towards greater observation in some way or another. Then he will be ready for the next level of science.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeah, we did lots of tracing paper notebooking pages last year with ECC. I'd have my dd tell me what to type, and I'd print out the page. Then, I'd have her show me what she was going to trace, so I'd give her like 1/2 a sheet of tracing paper, and then she would trace it, color it and glue it to the page. This was part of her "independent work time" so I could have time with my boys. But, by about half-way through the year, my then 4-year-olds wanted to make their own science pages. So, they would tell me what they wanted me to type on their pages, and I'd print them out and help them draw it. They loved doing that.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:22 am

Do you have the Complete Book of Animals? I have started looking through this book and they are more on their level than the POE worksheets. We have done some of the POE worksheets and some of the time we go over it orally and they answer questions out loud and I write the answers in for them.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/