Preparation - ECC is ordered, how do I get ready?

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Guest wrote:I did it! ECC is ordered! Now a question.

What should I buy? I assume I'll need paper and things like that. What topics are covered in weeks 1 and 2 for book basket? In the sample, it only says it is the introduction. Can anyone help? I'd like to start right away! Thanks!
Okay, it's been over two years since the beginning of ECC, but I am pretty sure that the first two weeks are learning about where the continents are, learning things about maps and globes in general (latitude, longitude, compass rose, the directions NEWS, the poles, the equator, different types of maps).

So, perhaps look in your library for books on globes, maps, continents, etc. I think we went from that to USA in weeks 3 and 4.

You're going to have lots of fun with ECC.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Cate,

The introduction for weeks 1 and 2 is an overview of maps/globes and a chance for the teacher and students to get used to the format of MFW.

There is a supply list in the beginning of the TM (which you'll get soon) for general preparation, but this is a summary.

* Basic school supplies (paper, basic art stuff, index cards-- both 4x6 and 3x5 are suggested, 3 ring notebook per student, lined spiral notebooks.)

* Globe (inflatable one with deluxe pkg is fine or from retail discount store if you didn't get deluxe)

* Bible -- any version

* Access to a map of Israel in Bible times (like in back of many Bibles)

* You will need access to photocopier -- I use my 4 in 1 computer printer.

* Each week the TM will list the other project items. These are quick pick up items, and I remember having most things in the house. Week 1 is an envelope and a tangerine.

* For the book basket listings, there are 18 suggested titles for weeks 1 and 2 -- remember you don't need to find the exact books listed or every listed book. Without listing those titles, you might want to find a picture book world atlas (National Geo), and something like a DK or Usbourne people/children/cultures of the world kind of book. That can help hold you over for the first couple of days until you can get the teacher's manual. If you don't have the opportunity to go to the library before you start week 1, don't sweat it. (And when you get it, be sure to read the intro of the TM.)

* For Global Art you have a lot of flexibility. Someone else's list is not necessarily what you will do in ECC.

Glad you are excited to get started. I had the same feeling when I got back from the convention with the ECC package in my hands. I was ready to start that minute. Hee hee.

crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 am

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:39 pm

You might spend some time while you are waiting by looking at other user ideas that look fun:

ECC Country Ideas
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Exploring Countries and Cultures Archive
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Enjoy!
Julie

TurnOurHearts

Just a couple from me :)

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Sheena wrote:Just bought ECC and can't wait to start:) Any tips for a MFW newbie?
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 pm

I am no neatnik, but I wish I had removed the perforated sheets from the World Geography book & either kept them in a folder or 3-hole punched them for easy use & neat copying. I found that I don't love blackened edges...

Enjoy!! Have a wonderful year!!! We just started Antarctica today and I must reiterate, I'M NOT READY FOR THIS YEAR TO END!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. :)

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 pm

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:27 am

I went through each week & chose crafts that I thought the kids would enjoy. I made a list of all the craft supplies & scoured sales ads all summer looking for things I needed.

I also made country files & put the copies for each country in them. I also added articles & other things I found to the files.

I actually had a lot of fun putting it all together. You can definitely do less than I did & still have a successful year. There were a couple art projects that we never did, and the stuff is still in my box waiting, oh well.

Well, that my $.02. HTH

TriciaMR

ECC Preparation

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Just Clay wrote:For those of you that have experienced ECC, what do you wish you would have known / considered before you jumped into the ECC year? Do you have any suggestions of "mental mindsets" that might be helpful or anything you wish you would have known earlier in the ECC year? I am grateful for the ECC posts - from those that had great years and from those who felt stretched. I think it helps to be aware. We will close up Adventures in a couple of weeks (that makes me sad) and will begin to think ahead to "meeting" the world in August :-)

Thank you,
Annette
The main thing for me was those first 2 weeks are the hardest. Lots of map work, and the days seemed to be longer. Seemed like about week 5 we hit not only "cruising altitude" but my relationship with my dd improved too. So, hang in there.

If you do get some National Geographic magazines, flip through them and write down the dates of the ones that cover things you cover in ECC (for example, countries, animals, biomes). For example, the January 2007 issue has a section on permafrost. It's from more of a "climate change" point of view (and that man is destroying it), but the pictures were cool, and it had a great little diagram about how it works. (I just so happened to stumble across this the day we were doing the permafrost demonstration while studying Russia - I was looking for something else totally different.) Every now and then I'll flip through them and thing, "Oh, that would have been good when we were studying blah."

Don't add extras at first. See how it goes for you.

Read through the craft choices in the art book ahead of time so you can pick and choose which ones. (Like, if you go to the beach this summer, bring home a big collection of sea shells, if you can.)

You can check out my blog and see what kinds of things we have done. Don't feel pressured to do all of it.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: ECC Preparation

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 am

RachelT wrote:We are also going to begin ECC in August! I have also read that others have commented on more work during the first couple of weeks. Can you explain why? Is it something that could be spread over three weeks to make it more doable? Just curious, I have 3 months to decide.
Rachel
Well, this is just my opinion on it and I'm sure others will have different experiences. It's because those weeks have 5 full days instead of the "4 regular and 1 light/independent day".

I know I felt some odd need to teach and expect "mastery" of the material in those weeks instead of seeing them as introductory weeks and foundation for reference. Then my brain clicked in and said "oh yeah... I've done ECC before. It's not like this...."

So, it will depend if you need to spread it out a bit or not. If you see those first weeks as "oh my gosh! my kids don't know any of this and they have to learn it this week or I'm a total failure at MFW and homeschooling", then it is heavy week. (Ok, I don't know how many of us really say that stuff to ourselves. But you know, sometimes we (well, I do) think similar things.

If you see it as "oh, wow. this is a lot of stuff that we're being introduced to these 2 weeks, they'll get chances to practice it all year. let's have fun with it and maybe even hold off a bit on going full force with language arts and math and everything at once...." then, maybe you don't need to spread out the work, but just spread out the expectation to realize they don't need to master it all that week and that you can ease into the year after time off from summer.

Both are probably ok routes to go. just one opinion.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 02, 2009 6:20 pm

RachelT wrote: I have also read that others have commented on more work during the first couple of weeks. Can you explain why?
I agree with Crystal -
- 5 day weeks
- not realizing that it's an intro & many of the topics will be studied all year & not mastered til later

I'd also add -
- the US is one of the first countries (might not be as much of an issue with those coming from Adventures)
- Canada & Mexico are also big & found me wanting to teach about the various provinces & such (I don't remember learning that much about the districts in other countries)
- the temptation to add too much takes a while to wear off ;)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Sat May 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Julie in MNI'd also add -
- the US is one of the first countries (might not be as much of an issue with those coming from Adventures)
- Canada & Mexico are also big & found me wanting to teach about the various provinces & such (I don't remember learning that much about the districts in other countries)
- the temptation to add too much takes a while to wear off ;)
Oh yeah, we had done Adv and still added more to the US section. I made a game board for the states like the continent gameboards and had the girls freshen up on their state locations. We did a little with the Canadian provinces. Oh and the pinata in Mexico was time intensive. But after North America things settled down into a nice routine. Also Cameron Townsend was a bit of a tough read. My 2nd grader totally zoned and my 4th grader got mad that I didn't require her younger sis to listen to all of it. But ultimately it was worth the struggle to complete it. It kinda provided a framework for some of the other missionaries, as some of them had common acquaintances. The rest of the missionary books were easier reads.

The crafts were a lot of fun. The tie dye shirts (Africa) we made that year are still being worn (today even). We made Brazilian carnival shirts that they still wear as night shirts. The Koala Bear snack was a hit. ECC was a great year.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

kellybell

ECC Prep Tips?

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 am

amelasky wrote:I was inspired by the ADV post of this nature and wanted to see if you have any helpful tips on preparing for ECC ( 2nd Edition). ANYTHING will help. I seem to be struggling in getting the ball rolling this year.

I did track with Book Basket books our library has vs. which ones needed to be purchased. Have all the books that I'm purchasing ordered. So, that step is accomplished. ***This is a completely optional step, I know that. Our family LOVES to read and we are always increasing our family/school library. My dd asks for books for special occasions. I bought children's books before we had children.... 8[] so, that's why we allow a set amount of "school budget" to purchase books off the list. Totally optional! (I didn't want anyone to feel this step was a must so I edited to add this.)

Other than getting my shelves and desk organized, I've done nothing. I keep rereading the first three weeks of the TM over and over. Still feel a little lost. Not sure why. Thanks in advance for you help.
The most helpful thing I did was let anyone and everyone know that "we're studying cultures and countries around the world and would love anything you have to share, be it trinkets, coins, clothing, or stories." I kept my eyes and ears out for folks representing the countries (or nearby) that we studied and it was a very rich year indeed. That was my first year doing ECC. The second time around, I admittedly didn't put as much into it and we didn't (sigh) get as much out of it.

Everyone's neighborhood and city and church family is different than mine but here are some ideas we did.

1. We went to ethnic restaurants and groceries and tried new things. We also cooked "Americanized" ethnic food at home. I'm not a fussy cook (the easier the better, the less ingredients the better) so our Mexican was basically burritos and our Chinese was stir fry, but you get the idea.

2. We went to the local mosque (calling first to let them know we were coming) and they gave us a little tour. The president of the local Islam Society wrote down all of my kids' names in Arabic on an index card which remains in the school room.

3. We visited a man from India, a missionary, and heard his stories. He's older now but is the child/young adult mentioned in Beyond the Next Mountain. That was special.

4. We visited a lady who just moved here from Kenya with her husband and 10 year old son. She spent the entire day with us showing us photos and telling stories. She visited the church that the lady across the street goes to and it was my telling my neighbor about our studies that linked us up.

5. When a neighbor went to Mexico, she brought back a few coins and a basket.

6. A local news reporter gave a quick report on her trip to Guatemala. I looked on the station's website and asked if we could visit and talk about her trip. Turns out the trip was with Compassion International and she had lots of trinkets and photos to show us and to talk about. She said there were a lot of people there but everyone had TV and Coca-cola! How funny. She spent about an hour with us. And this was right when we were studying Mexico.

7. Our German babysitter (she would rock our babies to sleep singing lilting German lullabies!) allowed us to come over and see lots of things from Germany including a silver tray with a big swastika and eagl on it! It was from the WWII era. She said you couldn't get anything for your home without that symbol on it. She said that she was one of the few kids in her school with shoes because her uncle worked in a shoe factory and got them for the family. Her city of Regensberg was not fond of Hitler at all but were required to come out to the parade when he was in town. He hand-picked two little girls to march in front of him scattering rose petals! And our babysitter was one of those little girls chosen to throw the rose petals! Wow. She said her dad got to push the button to blow up the town bridge near the end of the war to keep the Allies from entering the town. Wild stories. Her aunt and uncle hid Jews.

Although you've already ordered books and such, I would recommend to others starting ECC to not worry too much about what books your library has or doesn't have. If they have a few kids books on each country (even 2 or 3) then you are probably fine. Between that, an educational video, and the internet, you'll have plenty of info.

Again, my main hint is to let everyone know that you are studying different countries and that you would love for them to share what they know. It's the real stories and real artifacts that make ECC come alive.

Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

705emily

Re: ECC Prep Tips?

Unread post by 705emily » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello:

Hmmm... that's a great idea Kelly!! -- letting people know about what we will be studying and benefiting from their knowledge and experience! We'll be doing version 2 of ECC this coming year.

One thing I've done with each MFW year (and it's probably just my crazy nature :) --but it helps me. I have two big Rubbermaid bins. I make a file folder for each week of the year. (Weeks 1-18 in one bin and 2-36 in the second--you may not need 2 bins) then I place anything that I have on hand for that week (books I have around the house or that I purchased, articles, pictures, relevant dvds, videos --even the student sheets from MFW) in each respective folder. I place the list of books I need to request from the library in the folder two weeks in advance of when I need them.

I also went through "Global Art" and made a list of everything I needed to purchase for the art projects--so that I have things on hand as the projects come up. This system may not work for everyone--but it does help me feel a little prepared for the year!

Looking forward to hearing more ideas!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

RobinF

Unread post by RobinF » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 am

I am preparing for ECC in the fall. I also make up folders/notebooks for each country and I have gone through all my supplies/files and pulled out everything that I can incorporate. I am going through our books next week to pull any of them out that we can use with ECC/K. These will all get filed together so that the weekend before we do a country I can pull everything out and see what day we will use it on.

We have coins from lots of places and I think we may start collecting stamps from different countries.

We also use alot of people resources. One of the pastors in the association is married to a Korean lady and we will go over there one day for her to tell us about growing up in Korea. We will also visit the local restaurants for differnet countries.

I really like the idea of visiting a Mosque, I will have to see if we can arrange that one day.

Lots of good ideas.

Thanks
Robin

www.robindfowler.blogspot.com

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:08 am

Most homeschooling families already have this, but it was one of those little things that I overlooked until *after* we started ECC... a good sized globe. Duh, I know! 8| We had two really small globes, the kind you can hold in your hand and carry around with you, so between those and big wall maps, I just never "needed" to run out and buy a larger globe, ya know? But as soon as we started ECC, I realized that these two little bitty globes just weren't going to cut it. Especially since I've gotten a bit older and can't SEE the fine print on them anymore! %|

Picked up a $15 globe at Wally World the other day... I'd like to get a really nice one, though. Not sure how long it'll be before the plastic on this WM version is going to break. :~
cbollin wrote:following up on Donna's "good sized globe"..... the inflatable ones in ECC deluxe package are "good to large sized". But I know inflatable doesn't work for everyone....
***smacks head***
We have the inflatable globe! Where did it go, though? :~
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 pm

One of the things that I did was to use washable markers and to circle the country on the inflatable globe we were learning about and them trace a line back to where we live. I used the markers for many of the activities in ECC, tracing longitude and latitude, the equator and for anything I need at that moment. At the end of the lesson, I just wipe it off and it world great!
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

BHelf

newbie advice on ECC & MFWK

Unread post by BHelf » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm

wrensnest wrote:I am hoping to order my books for ECC soon. My question is this, what are the supplies needed for ECC? I would like to take advantage of the back to school specials right now, but I don't want to waste money on unneeded items. I have basic things like crayons, markers, and glue but I wasn't sure what else? I would hate to get my books and then find that several things were alot cheaper just weeks ago. Thanks for any help :)

If it helps, I'll be using the 2nd edition of ECC with 2 2nd graders, and 2 6th graders, and MFWK with a mature 4yr. old.
Thanks! We are excited to get started and just waiting on the resources to come in :)
Kathryn
Typical school supplies:
pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, scissors, colored pencils (they say to have one set per student), markers, black permanent marker, glue, colored paper, tracing paper, something like Contact paper, modeling clay (cheap kind).
Magnifying glass
4 x 6 index cards (note--I am using 3x5 cards because they have been cheaper and I can find .88 boxes to put them in but 4x6 cards may be easier for the younger students to write and draw on for the definitions)
2 or 3 3-ring binders (I think I have 1 1/2 inch size but that's up to you) (per child)
World globe
Notebook paper appropriate for your age students
Spiral notebooks (lined)
Also dividers for the geography notebooks and I like to use sheet protectors to put my DD's work in before putting it in the binders so it stays looking nice. :)

then there are other supplies you'll need during the year but those aren't really seasonal school supplies though, so you wouldn't have to worry about sales and all.

Oh--you may wanna start looking for a place to buy earthworms if you're like GA and going through a hot dry spell for the earthworm experiment in week 2, I think it is. :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

hsmomof5

new to mfw

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:53 pm

ladybug7 wrote:I am new to mfw. I will be starting ECC with my 12 year old (son) and 9 year old (daughter). I also will be doing the Ancient History and literature with my 9th grader (son). I feel very nervous about starting this new curriculum. I don't know why but I already feel overwhelmed. Maybe because I was reading over some of the topics on the message board. Probally started out on the wrong subject. :~ Any suggestions. What things should I do to prepare? and what supplies do I need, besides the basics.
Hi and welcome! We had a great time in ECC. The recipes are simple and you can grab those things on a routine trip to the grocery store. I usually read about the next week's lessons during the week prior in order to prepare and get ready for our library trips (which were usually every two weeks). I hope this helps but I'm sure others will chime in. This forum is a fantastic place for encouragement and support. Also, you can scan the ECC archives for great ideas. :)
~Kysha
ds 19 (college freshman), ds 12, ds 12, and ds 10 (ECC '08) (CTG '09), dd 3 (Preschool)

Amy C.

Re: new to mfw

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi! I am new to MFW as well. We are doing ECC (ds 10 and ds 8 - almost 9) and K (ds 5). We will be beginning week 5 this next week. I, too, was nervous and kind of overwhelmed with it all at first, and I guess can still be if I don't take my own advice... which is to take a deep breath, pray and ask God to give you wisdom and direct your steps each moment of each day, and then take it step by step each day. The TM (teacher's manual) is really very helpful in breaking it all down into doable steps. I have not ventured off the TM's roadmap. I have been too nervous. I think once we get the hang of everything we will feel more comfortable and can then make it our own a little more.

I would suggest reading the first part of the TM. There's a yearly supply list in the front of the manual. There is also a sample schedule as well as teaching tips for each subject. You might want to read it more than once for it all to sink in (at least that was what I had to do). I am still referring back to the teaching tips. I think that I will be throughout the year.
On top of the yearly teaching supply list, there is a weekly supply list at the beginning of each week. I try to check that list before the new week begins to see if I need to pick anything up on my trip to the store. Usually this is not a lot and sometimes I have the needed supplies on hand.

As far as book basket goes, I try to go online with my library and place a hold on any books I need a week in advance (that is what my library suggested) to give them time to get to my library if they have to come from another library within our system. They give me a call when I have books to pick up, and then I pick them up when running errands or ask my husband to pick them up on his way home. I can renew online as well so if we are not finished with books and I want to keep them longer, I renew them online and can keep them (unless someone else has requested them which has only happened once so far). I had to set up an online account at the library which did not take long at all.

Sorry that I can't help with the high school portion. We have not gotten there yet.

HTH in some way! :)
Amy C.

ladybug7

Re: new to mfw

Unread post by ladybug7 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Thank you to all who responded :-). I know as a homeschool mom that its hard sometimes to sit at the computer even for a few minutes. But you women have taken the time to offer encouragement. You guys are so awesome. I guess the encouraging thing is that I know that if I ever run into any kind of road blocks that there are so many people who are ready to offer advice, help, and encouragement. Just knowing that others are just a msg away is so helpful. I feel excited now about getting my stuff. Thanks again to you all! May God continue to bless you for being such a blessing to others.

Laurie

cbollin

Getting impatient

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:48 pm

paliz wrote:Okay, does anyone else get impatient waiting for the new books. This will be our first year using MFW and I used snail mail for making my order. I'm getting impatient waiting for the box of goodies I know will soon be coming. Any help to pass the time? Oh and we will be doing ECC.
Ok. Hi. Welcome to the board!

You used snail mail for an order? ((hugs)) to you.

ideas to pass the time.. You can spend some time reading through the ECC ideas forum.

if you like reading newsletters...
How about the missions page on MFW's site? scroll down a bit to them on this link.
http://www.mfwbooks.com/missions.htm

((hugs)) as you wait for the order to process and all of that. I've used MFW since 2003 and really enjoy it. Nice to meet you.

-crystal

cbollin

first impressions on ECC

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Cyndi (WA) wrote:Didn't someone mention somewhere that you should start-up a few subjects at a time since the new year is a little more "challenging?" Is that just a mom's-wisdom thing? Now that I read so much about the first two weeks being a challenging intro, I'm thinking I really should hold off on math and English for a bit. The TM does start SP in week 3, but what about other subjects? Any advice on that?
It's just a homeschooling mom kind of thing. Some of it depends too on just how much time you've had off from school before starting the next program. I think it helps with just easing into the year when you have a bunch of young children at home. Everyone -- teacher/mom and the kids have time of transition. Even when my husband started a new job recently, his first day or so was orientation and filling in paperwork. Now with adults, you don't take as long to get a full swing at a new job as waiting a few weeks. This is not like starting a job or that somehow if you don't make them do everything the first day, that somehow you've ruined them for life. (so don't over think it) It's time to tutor for a year long program. There will be some weeks that are naturally lighter than others and will allow you to sneak in 2 writing lessons that day, or an extra math assignment, or more in PLL/ILL or whatever.

with all of that .... I think the Monday's in ECC seem top heavy. I think if you start the program in a couple of weeks and decide to not do math and PLL on that first Monday -- it's ok. You could even "bank" some math lessons and English lessons for 2 days before officially starting. Then, if you get through the grid stuff and have time left to do regular stuff, give it a go.

The first couple of weeks have a a lot of new concepts that don't have to be mastered either. So, don't feel like they have to understand everything about latitude and longitude that first week.

-crystal

cbollin

Tips for preparing for ECC while I wait for it????

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:30 am

Mamakarla wrote:Hi! Our ECC was just shipped out today and it is expected to be here on Monday....I'd like to get right to it as soon as it comes....I know that somewhere on this board there are posts about preparing ahead of time while you wait for it to get here, could someone please direct me, or share what are some of the things I can do and prepare to get ready this week so that when it comes I can take a day to review the TM and then jump right in? Or is that even possible? I would really appreciate some advise from someone who has done it as to what I can do to make it an easy transition next week.....

Thanks so much!!!
Karla :-)
Karla,

Pray and ask God to make it a special year for your family.

I'd recommend that if you really want to start on Tuesday or Monday if the UPS guy shows up that early (LOL -- I'm thinking of the Todd Wilson cartoon on that one... sorry)....
then you'll want to find some old magazines to be able to cut up for a few pictures of people around the world (ask friends, or recycling centers, or freecycle options --- basically want something like Nat'l Geo, or travel brochures....newsletters from missionaries at your church.... you can get more later, just a few)

you'll want standard school supplies

a few library books for basket -- my suggestion is to wait until you have the manual, don't worry if you can't "do book basket" for the first week. There's plenty to do in the manual.

set aside time to read through the intro section of the TM. Even if you get right into ECC when it shows up, you need to read through those sections.

gather the week's supplies. I don't know if we're supposed to list that out loud or not: regular envelopes (one per student), you'll want a thin line black marker (permanent is better), a tangerine or mandarin orange, make sure you have some string and a yardstick, and jar, dark soil, sand, earthworms (check pet stores, bait shops, wally world). Or if needed, you can wait on the earthworm experiment for a few days.

and happy soon to be Box Day for you!
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Tips for preparing for ECC while I wait for it????

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 am

We just started ECC yesterday. Crystal might have already mentioned these, but the only things I did were to --

- get out an envelope for the passport application
- write "mandarin orange" on the grocery list (for a mapping activity)
- hunt through the house for general mapping book basket for weeks 1-2, and while I was at it, create a shelf for geography books we might like to use during the rest of the year
- read through the ECC ideas board for the first couple of weeks to refresh my memory and see what others have been doing
- and we already have a cake mix for next week, because I know my son is going to want to decorate that map cake that's coming up.
- gather some cardstock or poster board & a missions magazine or something showing people of the world; however, my son decided to adapt it and so using what you have on hand can work out just fine, as well.
- I should have set up a 3-ring binder for geography because we're putting things in there already, but I can do that this weekend :)

Now, we aren't doing the science experiments (with an 8th grader), so I didn't go into that. And all the rest of our subjects (math, science, English) are already up and running, so no changes there.

Have fun!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

supplies to save ahead of time?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 pm

rawbanana wrote:We are going to start ECC this fall and I was wondering if there are any household items to save ahead of time for projects (like oatmeal boxes, toilet tissue rolls, shoe boxes etc).... Thanks!
I know one item in ECC that was not easy for me to find. Modeling Beeswax. That was a harder to find item for us -- so we ended up substituting for that craft the first time through.

I guess the candle making beeswax could work too. I ended up ordering some "play quality" colorful modeling beeswax.
here's the stuff if you don't have a clue what it is -- but there are other retailers....
link to a site just to show a picture and description of what the item used in ECC is
the stuff is used in one of the Germany weeks, and became a fun favorite of ours to play with other times too. So it may have been a bit more pricey than I wish I could have found, but it was fun to have something unusual. maybe given when it is used it could be holiday gift? I guess you don't have to have it, but it's one item I know I like to give heads up on. It's been the only hard to find item that I remember in my years of using ECC.

[editor's note: Updated post with more helpful information is here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?p=42118#42118 ]

The other thing to save up or find used/freebie: old magazines such as National geographic, or other travel/nature magazines, and magazines with people groups. You'll use those to cut for pictures in some things. I know where I used to live we had a recycling center where people could exchange magazines for free. Or people at church had stuff to clear out. look for some of those.

there will be normal school supplies -- but that's not the kind of thing you're asking about.

I'd have some jars with lids (size? I don't know -- it can vary -- many things can work)
I'd look ahead to the terrarium --- some people use a large size (think Sam's club size) empty jar that holds something like pretzels, or cheese puffs. I had a small fish tank (1.5 gallon) in the closet that I used.
potting soil
dry beans. maybe an egg carton
maybe something like a 32 oz plastic tub (yogurt or whatever) something you can punch a hole in
one soda bottle - keep the lid, you never know.
I'd have some small plastic cups (disposable kind)

global art has a variety of activities -- so you'll have time in advance to be told pick one of three and get stuff or get a tweak idea. various craft stuff -- although you'll have some flexibility. One example -- I made sand art (week 3 or 4) from small jars of colored sand and sticky pull back stuff. So, I got that the weekend before. And for quilt option -- I made it out of scrap paper instead of scrap cloth.
yarn
model magic might be nice
I used felt squares for cloth when needed
paints
look on the ideas forum for ecc for each week or so before you do a craft --

hope something helps on that. the ecc manual lists supplies needed each week, so you'll have heads up.
-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: supplies to save ahead of time?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 pm

I think one optional art project you needed an cylinder-shaped container (like an oatmeal container or salt container).

Various sized jars would be good.

Oh yeah, paper plates for one craft - you know, the cheap flimsy white ones, not the dixie brand.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Amy in NC

Re: supplies to save ahead of time?

Unread post by Amy in NC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

T-shirts and a cheap t-dye kit (yes, I cheated) for Africa. (Cotton t-shirt and salt to set the dye)
Nesting dolls for Russia. Or some of those wooden boxes from Michael's in descending sizes.
A small box to paint. (Another wooden treasure box from Michael's) I think the was one of the Europe crafts.
Bars of soap to carve for Canada.
Felt, yarn, colored sand, pillow cases or T-shirts to decorate/ wear. Lots of paint.

We had a lot of fun that year, and a bunch of our crafts are still in 'use'. Especially the t-dye shirts, Brazilian carnival shirts, and the treasure boxes. Oh, that was 2007-2008. Fond memories.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR