Preparation - ECC is ordered, how do I get ready?

Amy C.

Re: supplies to save ahead of time?

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:03 am

We made African drums out of cylinder oatmeal containers. I think I chose that as an optional craft instead of the one listed or maybe it was a choose "one out of several options" thing. I have 3 children and ended up buying the needed oatmeal containers and emptying the oatmeal into Ziplock bags to use later. We have a lot of oatmeal! Anyway, you might look ahead in your manual at Africa to see if that is one of the crafts you want to do and be prepared to save your oatmeal containers.

On the soap carving, be sure and save your soap shavings for another art/craft project later for France.

Other than what the others have listed, I can't think of anything else. Like Crystal suggested, look ahead in your manual/Global Art book and on the ECC ideas forum. I have found great help on the ideas forum.

Amy C.

Poohbee

ECC Prep

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 am

We'll be doing ECC and K (for the 2nd time) this year.

I have loved looking through my ECC TM and all of the books. I think my dh thinks I'm crazy because I look through everything over and over again. But, truly, that is how I prepare myself. I just keep going through the first few weeks in the TM and looking through the books over and over, and then I know what is coming and I feel more prepared when school starts.

I've been working on cleaning our little school area and getting it ready to start school after our summer break. I'm really looking forward to ECC! I think it will be a great year! I'm looking forward to doing K again, too, because my dd is so excited to get started with K.

I'm sharing your excitement! Have fun looking through your materials! :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

mamacastle2

ECC questions

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:48 am

momtogc wrote:What do you use to hold the vocabulary cards? I have looked in several stores without success for a file box large enough for the 4x6 cards. Are there other ways to store the cards? I'm wondering if there is something in the photography line that would work since pictures come in that size. I considered using a photo album but that seems too bulky.
We didn't use cards. I let my daughter type the word and definition into a file that we kept adding to week after week. She also used the internet to find pictures to illustrate the vocab words. Then at the end of the year we printed out the pages and put them in her notebook.

I have seen people use other things. I know some used binder rings and just hole-punched the cards to keep them together (Some even laminated the cards after their children finished them.) Others used photo-sized page protectors. I have also purchased a collapsible plastic box that holds index cards from Office Depot. I didn't use the box for the vocab cards, but it definitely would have worked.
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

TriciaMR

Re: ECC questions

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:35 am

I bought something from currclick called Geography Scribe that already had many of the terms (and blank pages at the back to print off for terms that ECC had that the Geography Scribe book didn't have). Each page was basically the term at the top, and area to draw the picture, and then lines below to write the definition. We filed those in a "vocabulary" section in her geography notebook. The 4x6 card lines were just too small for her to write neatly.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 am

We found card boxes for 4x6 cards. They were plastic, and came in black or silver. I might hunt more at places like Walmart, Walgreens, or Office Max. I think I still see them there.

At the end of the year, we put them in page protectors in the geo notebook like Jeanne mentioned. Those photo page protectors have been harder to find this year for some reason, but i found some at Office Max yesterday.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 am

One idea similar might be to tape the index card (with just the drawing) on lined paper, write definition on the lines and then put the paper in the geography notebook.

I know in EX1850 when we were writing James verses on index cards, I found an index card binder out there. That was 3 x 5 size though. Never really looked long for a box to put them in.
TriciaMR wrote:I bought something from currclick called Geography Scribe that already had many of the terms (and blank pages at the back to print off for terms that ECC had that the Geography Scribe book didn't have).
same here. :)

-crystal

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 am

I just wanted to say that I had a hard time finding the 4X6 boxes, but did find them at Staples and Office Max in a nearby town. If you decide to go with the cards, check at those places. I believe Office Max was less expensive for the exact same product. At least that was my experience when shopping around.

Amy C.

NJCheryl

Unread post by NJCheryl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:46 pm

We did ECC this past year. I think I got the plastic file box at office max. My daughter LOVED illustrating the vocab words. Those pictures really helped each week as she recalled words and definitions.

Cheryl

doubleportion

Just ordered 1st time! Advice while I wait?

Unread post by doubleportion » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:32 pm

nacci527 wrote:Hello, I am sooo excited to start our first year of Unit Studies with MFW! I ordered ECC and a few extra hands-on toys for my little ones. My dc's ages are dd-10, dd-7, ds-5, dd-3, ds-1.

What can I do to prepare while I wait for my curriculum to arrive? Is there anything else I should know such as, materials to gather, or whatever you can think of? I would love to be prepared, so we can start right away! Did I happen to mention that I am excited!! :-)
One simple suggestion. I found when I started the school year that most packaged mixed colors of construction paper around here were missing brown. So you might want to make sure you have all the basic colors covered.

And maybe pick up ahead of time a big pack of multicolored tissue paper for Mexican paper flowers. And multiple colors of yarn for yarn art.

You can peek at our ECC year at my blog http://quietlyrunningtheracehomeschooli ... chive.html

HTH
Edie

cbollin

Re: Just ordered 1st time! Advice while I wait?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:58 pm

for brown construction paper: use paper bags (just ask for paper at the next grocery visit)

cbollin

Great first day with ECC and questions

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:22 pm

annaz wrote:I can't remember any other company curriculum I ordered that we were able to complete in it's entirety the first day. I know somet things are saved for the following week, but it still went smoothly! Yay! DD loved the passport application and she'll really mail it to me. And...it'll probably really take me till week 5 to process it. :-)

Anyway, I'm seeing some things that could be fun that I'm sure have already been talked about. I'm not sure how to search for them, so maybe you have them bookmarked.

* Exchange rates for money. I

* Did any of you find a picture of a person from the country and stick it on the map in it's proper country? I have a ton of maps so I'm going to use this one as a consumable; sticking and gluing things to the locations.

* For the John 3:16 poster, I have no magazines... did you pull pictures off the internet? I see that as a huge time consuming thing though, searching and printing. Yikes! I've looked in used bookstores and trading stores but no magazines.

Thanks!
exchange rates
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
or http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

for pics of people try using Joshua Project. link is on MFW"s home page
http://www.joshuaproject.net/

No magazines:
options: library book sale!
ask at church or neighbors who needs to get rid of some old Nat'l Geo or other mag
what about freecycle? or a homeschool group.
that kind of stuff. You don't need many.

Or just go with a few pics from Joshua Project or, even use God's Word for the Nations website. click on Prayer Project link from GWN
http://www.gwftn.org/

You don't need many pictures for this. I think I used about 7 pictures.

you could try online news sources and click on world and just print a pic of anyone. got a few catalogs sitting around? (you know, from stores with pics of people?)

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: Great first day with ECC and questions

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm

You could check "freecycle" for used National Geographics - that's what I did and got about 20 of them that way.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

sixtimemom

Unread post by sixtimemom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:58 pm

I found magazines at my library...I think I paid ten cents each

I've also seen magazines at half price books and at thrift stores.
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 pm

annaz wrote:Did any of you find a picture of a person from the country and stick it on the map in it's proper country? I have a ton of maps so I'm going to use this one as a consumable; sticking and gluing things to the locations.
I love that idea!
annaz wrote:For the John 3:16 poster, I have no magazines...
Even more ideas here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2958

If you get any kind of missions newsletter, you probably have these types of pictures around, from Voice of the Martyrs to Operation Christmas Child.

Julie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 am

annaz wrote:So how many units use magazines such as NG? Do they all get cut or do we read them? Because I think I can handle printing out pictures to cut for the John 3:16 poster, but if we need to cut them for more units, I'll keep scoping out all the places that were mentioned. Otherwise, I've ordered God's World News. Anyone remember off hand?

Okay...I see in Julie's link the answer to my question. So nevermind. ;)
I ended up picking up old Nat'l geo
at the recycling center.

because I had them, we used them for book basket and the occasional cut a picture.

the only things I can remember using for pictures:
John 316 thing
looking for pics of "traditional clothing" (this was a total optional assignment from World Geography book, and could sooo easily be done via joshuaproject site)

one other possibility for magazines??? are you a AAA auto club member with a travel agent office near you? I found they were nice to let us have a few travel brochures. I was very honest with them and said it was for school and that I had zero plans to book a cruise. They were happy to give me stuff that otherwise was heading for recycle bin. I know one time on a yahoo group I mentioned that and one of the ladies in the group publicly chastised me for that -- she works in travel industry, so I guess not all agents are as, uh, nice. ;)

I wish MFW would have just put a note in the ECC manual to not stress over this part of supplies to gather. Yes, there are other uses for magazines --- like to make notebooking pages with biomes, or a report. I'm sure others who do better jobs of teaching and decorating and making perfect picture books and all of that. But there's my extreme low need experience.

-crystal

TriciaMR

ECC planning ahead... what to buy?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri May 06, 2011 8:39 am

davimee wrote:We've pretty much decided upon ECC for next year :-) (yea!), but I just got to thinking we might also need to budget for items not included in the program. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I've seen some people purchase sheet protectors, and colored card stock for notebooking. Is there anything else I should look at? And are there any other items or resources that are required that are not listed in the catalog? I'm trying to figure out how much I need to budget for school this summer so we'll be ready to start in August.

Thanks! I can't wait! :-)
Emily
Some things we bought:

2 2- or 3-inch binders, per child
Page Protectors
4 x 6 cards (though, due to writing issues, we ended up purchasing some Geography pack from CurrClick that had bigger lines for my dd to write on)
Colored pencils/markers/crayons/glue/pencils/pens
Lined paper
Construction paper
Non-hardening clay

You might want to look through the Global Art book, and look and see what you might need. There's some Colored Bees Wax for one project. Wire that you can shape for another. Paper plates. You can take a look on my blog for ECC - I had several pictures for craft projects we did.

Oh, early on you make a pinata, so liquid starch, a balloon, and newspapers.

Everything required is in the package, except the stuff to make the crafts and science experiments.

Have you read though the ideas board: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=15 ? That might give you some other ideas.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Busymom

Re: planning ahead... what to buy?

Unread post by Busymom » Sat May 07, 2011 6:51 pm

One other thing to throw in the mix of what to buy is what you need in order to store/organize your student sheets. I just put each child's student sheets for the year in their own file folder, and then I have a separate file folder for each child to hold the current week's student sheets. I keep all of those in a plastic file box (I'm doing 4 kids at once, so the box works well for me size-wise). Here's a link to some ideas: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ets#p68828

Have fun!
Tiffany, Mom to 9 (ages 16 mo. to 14 yrs; 5 girls and 4 boys)

davimee

Re: planning ahead... what to buy?

Unread post by davimee » Sat May 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi Trish, Thank you for the suggestions of what to purchase for ECC. I've spent time this afternoon reading through your blog about your experience with ECC, and have really enjoyed it! Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your adventure. :)

Tiffany, thank you for the ideas and the link! I hadn't thought about organizing... Looks like a trip to Staples might be in order! :)
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

Julie in MN

ECC notebooks???

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 pm

MOMS wrote:I know this sounds REALLY CRAZY :~ but does anyone have pictures I could look at of their notebooks from doing ECC? I'm VERY new to MFW & am still trying to learn all about it. I got my notebook done for my 1st grader but not yet for ECC (5th grade). I'm more of a visual learner then a "read it & do it" type of person.
I'm assuming you are just about to start ECC, so you're setting up a blank notebook?

If so, did you get the student sheets with the notebook cover included?

If you do have that, then you can just buy a 3-ring binder with a clear sleeve on the front, and slip the cover inside that sleeve.

Then the only thing left to do is decide whether you will 3-hole punch the pages vs. purchasing a bunch of page protectors to slip papers into. Then buy a good puncher or the page protectors (warehouse stores have 200 for about $10 or so).

If it's all too new for you, then I wouldn't worry about making dividers and such yet. There won't be much in your notebooks for several weeks. You could wait until then to actually start dividing things. And then you may have an idea of whether your children would like to make pages for dividing up the notebook by continent, whether they'd just like an inexpensive set of dividers to use, or whether you can just buy some sticky tabs and put one at each continent (which is what we did).

Does that help at all? I have a couple of our notebook pages around the archives, but not the whole notebook. Probably one of the bloggers does :)
Julie

gorillamama

Re: ECC notebooks???

Unread post by gorillamama » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:18 pm

We are brand new to MFW/ECC this year, so this may not be as helpful as some pics/ideas for those that have been plugging away for awhile now, but here are a few pictures of our binders. As suggested by Julie in MN, we just put the sheet that came with our student packets in the see through cover of a 1 1/2inch 3 ring-binder (we are hoping it is big enough!!!) and then used tabbed dividers which kids wrote "world", "North America", etc. on the colorful tab part. We are planning to decorate these pages as we continue our studies with an appropriately themed drawing (i.e. penguins on the Antarctica tab) as my kiddos are big on drawing.

The other subjects for us are not being kept in a binder at this time - math textbook, spelling and handwriting notebook, etc. We are in PA and a portfolio is required at the end of the year, so as the year progresses we may add to our existing binder, combine into a larger binder, or something else entirely. But for now we are content to keep things this way.
DSCN3598 (640x479).jpg
DSCN3598 (640x479).jpg (85.53 KiB) Viewed 9483 times
DSCN3599 (640x479).jpg
DSCN3599 (640x479).jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 9483 times
DSCN3600 (640x479).jpg
DSCN3600 (640x479).jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 9483 times
I hope this can help you get started and hope others will also post, because we, too, would love to see other examples of how people are doing things - so many great ideas on this forum!

MicheleMomOfTwo

Re: ECC notebooks???

Unread post by MicheleMomOfTwo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm

We just started ECC this week (tomorrow will be day 3). I did Adventures last year, and crammed full a 1 1/2" 3-ring binder, so this year I bought a bigger binder...3" I believe, for the geography/science notebook. I will NOT use sheet protectors this year. Last year we used them and it made my notebook more crammed full. At the end of the year it was hard for my daughter to open and close it without losing pages.

I liked the suggestion of a sprial bound notebook for Spelling and one for Math, so I purchased small one-subject sprial bound for those subjects. I made sure to get ones that are three hole punched as well, so that I can put them into the large 3-ring binder when necessary for traveling or storage at the end of the year.

I do also have one small, 1 1/2" binder for the "other" subjects, such as English, Bible, art, and Spanish (we'll have worksheets from Rosetta Stone).

To get ready for school last week, we pulled out our pack of 8 index dividers and wrote the continent names on them (plus one for World), and inserted them into the binder. So far we have 7 geography pretest map pages in the "world" section. We also bought a pack of 5 index dividers for the smaller notebook used for "other" subjects, and have so far only labelled English as it is the only one we've needed yet.

Have a great year!
Michele
Mom to Aubrey (4) and Lane(7) and waiting on Micah (in 5 weeks)
Completed First Grade, Adventures, and just started ECC

Julie in MN

ECC

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:11 pm

bujah4 wrote:I am starting ECC with my 8th, 6th, and 4th graders. What kind of supplies do I need to get? Is there a list anywhere of things I will need, such as paints or colored pencils, drawing pads etc?
Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to our new adventure :)
Hi and welcome!
While you are waiting for folks to reply, you could check out these links:
Prep http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1155
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 729#p76729
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11040

Some of the info about making copies etc will apply to 1st edition, since 2nd edition has student sheets all ready for you.

Enjoy!
Julie

asheslawson

Re: ECC

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:39 pm

I recall needing notecards and a box to put them in for our Geography terms. We used the same box and wrote the rules for Spelling power by using tabbed dividers in the notecard box. We needed notebook binders, colored pencils, sheet protectors (I used a few in the notebook and I used them for the geography game). Dividers were used in the notebook.

As far as art...we did the projects that we already had stuff on hand for or improvised. Craft sand was something I had been blessed with a large case of by someone who was going to throw it away and it was really nice for a picture we did while we studied South America. We also used yarn. We improvised often to use what we had and not spend money on gas or supplies! Clay was nice to have on hand for several things. I don't remember needing anything that was all that out of the ordinary. I did need jars several times for science, I kept those when I finished with something in the pantry (for instance - we used a peanut jar for our earthworm niches). I keep quite a few good jars and containers that can be washed and re-used - they have come in handy quite bit. Hope this helps...probably not complete - I am not having a high functioning brain lately with all the little ones I've been babysitting & still trying to home school - I don't know how you guys do it that have little ones home - I'm getting better at it - but it sure demands that I stay organized and efficient with my time, energy & schedule!!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Modeling Beeswax is the one really uncommon thing you'll need - but you can easily order it off of Amazon. Modeling Clay (the non-hardening kind), tracing paper, 4 x 6 index cards and some way to store them, notebook dividers. Typical school supplies: spiral notebooks, pens, pencils, colored pencils, glue, colored paper...

When we did ECC the first time, my dd had writing issues, so writing on the backs of 4 x 6 cards wouldn't have been a good fit. We bought something called "Geo-Scribe Geography Terms" from currclick. It has many of the geography terms that you learn in ECC, plus some blank pages to print out for terms it doesn't have. That just worked better for my dd who struggled with writing.

We used two 3-inch binders (or maybe 2.5 inch binders) for each student in 3rd grade or up.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:55 am

The manual will have a list. In the intro section, there is a list of supplies for whole year that are the common school supplies. Then each continent/week have a list specific for experiments, etc. You will still need to select some items for the book Global Art. Those supplies aren't written in the manual because we get to pick and choose projects. and on the modeling beeswax, it can be used in other MFW years and just any kind of time to play.