Bible in ECC?

Lucy

Bible in ECC?

Unread post by Lucy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 pm

Is Bible integrated with ECC
MammaBear wrote:Are the Bible readings and memorization related to what is being studied? or is it completely separate? Thanks for the help!
They are related. During the ECC year you read through the book of Matthew and memorize selected verses from this book. This book was chosen to learn about the life of Christ while you spend a year praying for a world without Him (using Windows on the World). The year is spent learning about who this Jesus is and why it is He that not only we need, but the world needs. You also use Hero Tales to learn about different missionaries that have worked around the world. This includes character study.

The them verse for the year is John 3:16.

You also spend time reading about missoionaries and how God has worked in and through them (this is part of read aloud time).

Blessings,

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Omma

Matthew goes well with ECC

Unread post by Omma » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:05 pm
I was thinking that the book of Matthew goes well with ECC in that it begins with a geneology and then the announcement of Christ's birth, and ends with the Great Commission to, "Go and make disciples of ALL NATIONS..."

Brenda

Julie in MN

Why Matthew in ECC?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 am

musicmommy wrote:I was excitedly sharing about our homeschooling year so far with my dad this evening. He loves hearing what we are doing. He was wondering why we are reading through Matthew this year. He feels that Luke is much easier reading for understanding for a child. He's a pastor and was just wondering what the reasoning was. I told him you all were great over here so I'd ask the question.
Wendy
When we were doing ECC, I just assumed that Matthew was studied because it was "first." That reason still makes sense to us. I have a strong preference for my children understanding the Bible as a whole and not jumping around too much (lest they get lost or be led astray by different jumper-arounders :o)

But since then, I have heard Matthew called the "sending" gospel, or the Great Commission, or the missionary gospel. With the ECC themes of missions and God's love for the world, Matthew seems the perfect choice to me!

Oh, and I was thinking that being a little longer, maybe Matthew fits better as a full year's study?

Good question!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:12 pm

tagging on a bit... I always heard that MFW went with Matthew in ECC for the global missions theme. And that you take the whole year to do it in smaller sections, so it isn't too much at once.

And I was just listening to one of David Hazell's convention workshops and one of the other things that he brought out about using Matthew in ECC had to do with character training with the beatitudes, and other memory verses.

In terms of big picture scope and sequence, Luke is covered in RTR along with NT study and overview. so it goes:
Pre K -- A celebration of the Bible in music and song
K - God created the world and everything in it, 26 science units
1st: God gave us His word to live by. Bible overview from Genesis to Revelation in art, phonics, and composition.

ADV (for those who get to use it) -- Names of Jesus

ECC - God wants us to spread His word to the uttermost parts of the earth. Study Matthew and missionary biographies, and character traits

CTG, RTR EX1850, 1850MOD -- the 4 year theme is God and His people affect history.
CTG -- Old Testament overview
RTR - NT overview, emphasis on Luke as the gospel, but not only book used
EX1850 -- study and memorize the book of James
1850MOD - discipleship, devotional, how to be prayer warriors together, worship and missions (various sources used to cover all of that)

-crystal

musicmommy

Thank you so much!

Unread post by musicmommy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Ok, that makes complete sense to me. I had my Dad read your replies because I can never say the right things when someone else explains it to me.

He thought it made great sense also, then. :) He loves the curriculum and feels like the boys are getting a great education. From someone who served on the School Board all while I was growing up, this is such a huge compliment. :)

Blessings,
Wendy

cbollin

Toying with how to get it all done - ECC bible ?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:42 am

my3sons wrote:This year we are doing ECC and K. I just finished planning out our first month of school and I am so excited, but nervous about how in the world we are going to do all this! I had posted before about our outside commitments and got some good feedback (the older two kids are gone all day on Tuesday and then Wednesday mornings). The enrichment day is really good for the kids and they love it. It will also give me a day with just my kindy kid. At CBS the kids have a serious study of Scripture, they also do PE while there! I will say that I am making progress in scaling back! :) Keeping myself busy is key to staying emotionally healthy and so while I am scaling back, I NEED CBS.

Anyway, here is my question -- I am considering not doing the study of Matthew in ECC. In CBS the kids will be studying Genesis this year. I hate not to do Matthew, but I am thinking it may be something that I can cut that will help lighten the days a little bit. My question is-- will my kids really be missing an integral part of ECC without Matthew? They will still be in the Word daily and still be doing Scripture memory with their CBS homework.

Added into all this, Lord willing, we will be adding a baby into the mix in March. I am thinking we will be finishing up ECC and K this time NEXT year!
hmmm.... thinking for solutions.....

What are you using for language arts and math? Can things be trimmed from those programs to give you the time that you need so that you don't leave out time for family Bible study? We're talking about 10-20 minutes.

If that were me in that situation (and I'm trying to walk in victory over darkness of depression and walk in Who I am in Christ, and yes I have to keep busy... why do you I think type so much?)

I would not cut out Matthew as my convictions for me are to make sure I am teaching my children the Bible. The other places are great (CBS, and church things and all of that) and provide back up and extra, but not the main. That's how I do it. Your mileage can vary. That's ok. But to understand my answer, it helps to understand my reasons.

In our homeschool, I really like having Bible integrated into our homeschooling studies. We spend a year looking at going into the world with geography and people an cultures and missionaries, so yes, it makes a lot of sense to make sure my children take a journey through a gospel that is all about "go into the world".

The Matthew readings are done in small segments and designed for parent and child to read together. Now that you've stepped back from teaching at CBS and church, maybe you will have a bit more time for the reading at home? Can your dh do the Bible reading in the evenings or something? Maybe without the pressure of Bible being part of academics or you have to get this done with CBS to keep up --- maybe it will be a fun few minutes as a family to do while eating breakfast.

If you need to cut something from ECC, look for something else to cut out. but for the 15-20 minutes that it could take to do Bible in ECC, yes, it is worth it. Don't leave out Window on the World either and find the time to pray. Hero Tales doesn't take long. Doesn't even take my kids long to do their copywork of the character trait.

let's think:
If you are time crunched on a day, maybe the kids don't have to do the memory verses as both copywork and dictation. Then the Matthew memory verses can be just read out loud together as a family and not memory work since they are getting memory work elsewhere. It could just be post the Matthew verses and read them together.

Maybe they don't have to do a craft every week in ECC, or it could be do 3 crafts on Saturday once a month or something.

For the music in ECC: pop the CD in the van while on the way to CBS.

cut back on "Reading and book basket" time by a few minutes.

can they notebook just one word from Geography from A to Z instead of notebooking both words? (that will save time on Fridays)

So, I'd encourage you to first trim the time from language arts and math if possible.

wonder what others think?

-crystal

tabby

Re: Toying with how to get it all done - ECC bible ?

Unread post by tabby » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 am

I might have missed this option in Crystal's post, but could you do it at night before bed? Here is a current thread you may be interested in dealing with the topic http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 164#p52976 .

We have done previous years' Bible during our family's evening devotions and it worked out well.

:-)
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:21 am

I think I agree with the others, not to skip Matthew this year. I'm wondering if I can say "why" I feel it's important?

* Matthew is the "sending gospel" and ties in with the theme of going out into the world.
* Matthew sets the tone for studying the world in light of God's word.
* Matthew connects God's word to the world you are studying in ECC better than Genesis would.
* Matthew brings kids into the Bible because they aren't skipping around & lost in the Bible. They are opening their Bibles to the very first gospel, reading it line by line, and proceeding from start to finish. They know just where each line is in the Bible, both in terms of chapter & verse but more importantly in terms of context & setting. Maybe they are doing this in their Genesis class, but this was the main thing that drew me to MFW.
* The Bible in ECC has the them of love & God's hope for the world
* The Bible in ECC was the reason that the following year my 4th grader would respond to the gods of Egypt & such -- not with intrigue & confusion -- but with sadness for them & prayer
* Bible with the family is different than Bible with a group

I'm going to assume you weren't planning to skip the other parts of "Bible time," but -
* Praying for the world is the way to make sense of history once you start it next year. You need a good year of praying for the world before you start in on the history cycle! It puts all the "bad stuff" in context of God's love & hope for redemption.
* Learning character traits sets a foundation for your kids discern as they start learning about the people of the world. Both in Hero Tales and the missionary biographies, they will start to see that a "true hero" isn't exactly the same as what they've seen on TV :)

Parts of Bible time that I might consider optional?
* Coloring the John 3:16 pages -- definitely read them & maybe use some stickers or something to decorate the costumes, but we don't always do coloring at our house.
* Like Crystal said, maybe some of the "language arts" uses of Matthew could be skipped, depending on their needs in that area.
* Kingdom Tales - that wasn't around when we did ECC & we still had a great year. Maybe it would fit in during RTR or something as an alternative? But if you look around the boards for posts on this book, it sounds reaaaally good......

I like Tabatha's idea of doing more things at bedtime. And remember, if plan A doesn't work, you can always change it up to plan B :)

Have fun - I always like when co-ops do PE!

P.S. Also, if you are busy from the start, then I would plan to take more than 2 weeks to accomplish the first two weeks of ECC. Those first two weeks of "general geography skills" are a little more packed than the rest of the year. Actually, we kept super-busy in ECC all the way through North America, but that was probably my fault for adding in too much - it was a big election year & there was so muuuuuch I wanted to share ;)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I would agree about not skipping ECC's Bible. It is wonderful. Reading it, kids narrate, and then we would discuss. Cut back on copywork and dictation. Save crafts for lighter days. Save science projects for lighter days or Saturday. I would say the John 3:16 pages are optional. Hero Tales was great. It did take my dd longer to copy character traits (writing issues), so I would copy the trait, she would copy some, I would copy some. We did it together. That's what drew me to MFW in the first place - Bible is not tacked on - it is essential to the whole reason to study geography.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:06 pm

In ECC it was easier for me to do a week's worth of reading in Matthew at one time. My son was only here 3 school days a week and we had no other choice. Usually the sections are pretty small and he was fine sitting through a week of readings at a time. You could do this Sunday night or something like that and be fine.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

my3sons

Unread post by my3sons » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:28 am

I appreciate all the feedback! Here is what I have decided- in the past, my sons have done their CBS homework at one time on Saturday morning rather than a little each day. I was going to change that this year in order to train them to have disciplined time in the Word daily and that was going to be our Bible time. After hearing why you all consider the Matthew study so foundational, I am not going to make that change. And so, we will start our school day with Matthew (as well as the other MFW Bible texts) and the boys will still do their CBS at one time on Saturday. Not ideal, but it keeps it manageable for them and for me.

I do not think doing it at night would work for us as we are gone a couple nights during the week and it would be stressful to HAVE to do Bible those nights.

THanks for helping me think through that. I am now ready to start school. Too bad we are waiting until August 31 due to traveling in August!! :)
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

Julie - Staff

Bible in ECC

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:15 pm

erin.kate wrote:I'm looking at the sample week of ECC on MFW's site and I have a question about Bible. I will also try to call the office, but I thought I'd wait to hear from you ladies first.

I see that Matthew is read daily. Awesome! I also see that there is a memory verse. Love it! Now, what I don't see is anything in the notes for the week on elaborating on what is being read in Matthew ... is that just the case for this week in the sample, or is it really more up to the parent to discuss the Scripture as appropriate?

I'm thinking of Adventures here ... you know how Marie gives beautiful commentary on the Scripture being read and on the Names of Jesus and even directs us to other relevant passages? I guess my mind is approaching ECC in a similar way, but maybe I'm way off. :-)

Can anyone help me understand more about how Bible is approached and taught in ECC ... I understand how WOW and Hero Tales is folded in ... I guess I'm thinking more about the actually Word.

Thank you!
Posted by cbollin:
This is my perspective.... in years prior to ECC, Marie gives commentary only to help with the unit study aspect of why a verse is part of the theme or topic or to help more with teaching the abstract idea of "names of jesus" - it''s some abstract thinking with analogies. so some commentary to help with teaching abstract to concrete is helpful. so that's why I think it's there.

Starting in ECC, it becomes: "is really more up to the parent to discuss the Scripture as appropriate?" that way I don't get to know what Marie and DAvid think I should teach my kids.... it's up to me and my dh.

gratitude

Re: Bible in ECC

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:40 pm

erin.kate wrote: Thanks, Crystal. Makes sense. I suppose I always hear how ECC is so amazing in imparting a love for all of God's people so I assumed it went deeper than WOW and missionary bios and tied to the scripture being studied, but I completely see what you're saying.
Hi Erin!
As you know I haven't done ECC, but this is my understanding based on the research I have done of ECC.
I believe that a love for people is imparted by the praying for people throughout the world with Windows of the World. Then the missionary bios would back this up by giving examples of people who choose to impart a love for all people through their life work. I personally think the prayers would have the most impact as far as coming to love people groups around the world. Then the missionary stories I have read I know are just down right inspiring both in growth spiritually and in a call to greater action. Have you ever noticed that by praying for an enemy that you can come to love and care for them deeply? Or, by praying for someone we barely know that we can come to care deeply for them out of love? I would think that through daily (?) prayer with WOW that the imparting of a deeper caring of love for people all over the world could/would happen. But this is not based on experience of ECC, only based on my understanding of the program and my personal experience with the power of prayer.

Am I understanding correctly?

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:00 pm

I don't know, I sort of think they go together, especially at the end with The Great Commission. It's just that it's up to you to tie them together or lead your kids to seeing the connections, this time around. I didn't do Adventures, so maybe I didn't know what I was missing?

:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks, Carin. Yes, that is also my understanding. I was hoping I guess that the study of Matthew line-by-line would also tie to the missionary/world, prayer/soulwinning intentions. I guess they are meant to be somewhat more separate. Thank you! :-)

Thank you, Melissa. I appreciate your thoughts. I do prefer to teach Bible to my children from my perspective, not the Hazells, but I also was hoping for a little more umph or something to servitude that is supposed to run so deeply in ECC. It seems I'm confused. :~ Anyway, disregard. Sorry!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 pm

erin.kate wrote:Thanks, Carin. Yes, that is also my understanding. I was hoping I guess that the study of Matthew line-by-line would also tie to the missionary/world, prayer/soulwinning intentions. I guess they are meant to be somewhat more separate. Thank you! :-)
I agree with Crystal that it's the little ones who need help understanding the Bible and connecting it with their little world. The goal, though, is for the Bible to speak directly to the young person - I guess you could say that is the high school age of MFW Bible.

In between there, somewhere in between the "telling" of K-2 and the "personal journey" of 9-12, the parent is modeling the Bible reading, discussion, and ensuing prayer. The parent is gently modeling the start of the day in the Word, the lessons learned from Hero Tales and Christian Heroes, the value of hiding those memory verses in our hearts, and the ways we love others as Jesus did in WOW. And this is done as a family, as a way of life, not as a lesson such as in a textbook or a Sunday School lesson. This is one of the reasons I love using MFW :)

Julie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I heard my name....
huh? I was asleep... huh
One of my memories in ECC with Matthew reading and missions came in how from all of that praying and going into the world stuff that we were seeing in the other books (Hero TAles, biographies, WotW)... and then all of a sudden I felt like God opened my eyes to see that it is a lot in Matthew about going into all the world -- way more than just the part we call the great commission...

I risk a lot here giving commentary and interpretation to scriptures.... but from all of that... I remember the week where the feeding of the 5000 and then the 4000..... oh my.... all of a sudden it wasn't about food and loaves....

so yeah.. it's all of it together.

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Just thought I'd add - we loved ECC and I did it at the same time as K & had never done Adventures. I was nervous at first about struggles with scriptures that I might have been a little 'gray' on myself. I remember wishing there had been a little commentary to guide me - but I'm actually glad that is not there now. (Although Marie is very good about adding a note if there is a portion that is a little rough and you may want to not read that part or put it in your own words. She also does this with other books that have material that you may or may not want read exactly as printed. I love this - as this helps me to make a determination as to what they are ready for before I stumble into it while reading aloud. Now I will add, as others have said, that through the missionary stories - my children's heart has changed for Christ more than I could have hoped. AND - through daily diligent prayer - and the purchase of a great study bible that helps with a few scriptures that I still get confused on - we discuss the meanings of the scriptures and I find that my children are understanding better than I ever did - even in junior high and high school (of course - I wasn't introduced to church until about 5th or 6th grade). I am feeling much better at helping my children understand the scriptures - but that is not by my means - or even that much of the study bible - as I think it is through PRAYER!!

One thing I do sometimes with the kids is I give them a blank, hole-punched page, as I read - they illustrated the scriptures we were reading in their own way. We added these to their bible notebook - and it is a treasured keepsake. Often they added cute captions that really helped me know they were enjoying the scriptures. I have really enjoyed reading directly from the bible more and more and we almost never use our story bibles anymore.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 am

Oh wait, I also say that I used the Life Application Study Bible, and read the commentary myself, using it as a way to guide discussion or figure out what questions would be good to ask. Sometimes, I would read the comments directly to the kids, as well. So yes, I did need a teacher's aid, sorry!

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

Re: ECC Bible?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

gratitude wrote:I have a curiosity question about ECC Bible after reading the recent thread.

On the sample on the web-site Windows of the World is scheduled for Monday and Bible reading is scheduled for Tuesday - Friday. Is this true throughout the program, or does the balance between WotW and the Bible change at some point? I also noticed in the notes that it doesn't suggest to pray for the world using WotW. I always assumed that the program used this book for prayers for the world. Is that something that is in WotW; or was that my own assumption? Do people use it for prayer, or is it read aloud?

Also I was wondering is Hero Tales scheduled as a read-aloud or is it scheduled as Bible at some point in the program? If it is scheduled as Bible does it replace Matthew readings or WotW readings? Thank you!
You're right on WotW.
Window on World: there's a general note on the praying. that note is in the intro. to help me remember to do the praying through the week... I did two things.. pencil that in (yes, I wish Marie had done it for me... but... ok), and I left WotW open on the kitchen table.
oh lookie, we sit down to eat... there's that book. ooh...
So, basically once a week on Monday, you intro the people group - you read those pages. rest of the week... praying as it is listed in the book.
exceptions? week 2
so there are about 34 ish, or close to that people groups scheduled. the prayer needs for each country/people group are listed in the book itself.

Hero Tales is scheduled in Bible part of grid. it is alongside of readings in Matthew not replacing. and not every week either. There are 15 people (chapters) in Hero Tales.
-crystal
gratitude wrote:Thank you Crystal for explaining it so well!

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:26 am

Julie in MN wrote:In between there, somewhere in between the "telling" of K-2 and the "personal journey" of 9-12, the parent is modeling the Bible reading, discussion, and ensuing prayer. The parent is gently modeling the start of the day in the Word, the lessons learned from Hero Tales and Christian Heroes, the value of hiding those memory verses in our hearts, and the ways we love others as Jesus did in WOW. And this is done as a family, as a way of life, not as a lesson such as in a textbook or a Sunday School lesson. This is one of the reasons I love using MFW :)
Julie, This makes sense. Thank you for sharing. I didn't mean to suggest that MFW would "teach" Bible like a textbook Sunday school lesson. :~ Sorry. I don't think my question was phrased right or came across right. But, thanks for clarifying some of the points in how it's approached with MFW in 3-8, or 2-8 with the younger siblings. :)
asheslawson wrote:Just thought I'd add - we loved ECC and I did it at the same time as K & had never done Adventures. I was nervous at first about struggles with scriptures that I might have been a little 'gray' on myself. I remember wishing there had been a little commentary to guide me - but I'm actually glad that is not there now. (Although Marie is very good about adding a note if there is a portion that is a little rough and you may want to not read that part or put it in your own words. She also does this with other books that have material that you may or may not want read exactly as printed. I love this - as this helps me to make a determination as to what they are ready for before I stumble into it while reading aloud. Now I will add, as others have said, that through the missionary stories - my children's heart has changed for Christ more than I could have hoped. AND - through daily diligent prayer - and the purchase of a great study bible that helps with a few scriptures that I still get confused on - we discuss the meanings of the scriptures and I find that my children are understanding better than I ever did - even in junior high and high school (of course - I wasn't introduced to church until about 5th or 6th grade). I am feeling much better at helping my children understand the scriptures - but that is not by my means - or even that much of the study bible - as I think it is through PRAYER!!

One thing I do sometimes with the kids is I give them a blank, hole-punched page, as I read - they illustrated the scriptures we were reading in their own way. We added these to their bible notebook - and it is a treasured keepsake. Often they added cute captions that really helped me know they were enjoying the scriptures. I have really enjoyed reading directly from the bible more and more and we almost never use our story bibles anymore.
Yes, I have valued how Marie guides us along with commentary and forewarning. That is a blessing. :-) I love your notebook/sketchbook idea. My older daughter uses one now for her morning devotional with the One Year Children's Bible, so that's a great way to extend that idea into Matthew next year with both of my girls. I do love a good keepsake. ;)

Many thanks for helping me see this more clearly.
cbollin wrote:so yeah.. it's all of it together.
Yes, I see how it is now. Thank you! :-)
MelissaM wrote:Oh wait, I also say that I used the Life Application Study Bible, and read the commentary myself, using it as a way to guide discussion or figure out what questions would be good to ask. Sometimes, I would read the comments directly to the kids, as well. So yes, I did need a teacher's aid, sorry!
This is the Bible I use so YAY! :-)
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥