Book Subs - Suggestions if we've already read some ECC books

Tracey in ME

Book Subs - Suggestions if we've already read some ECC books

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Joy1139 wrote:I'm curious if anyone has used MFW books they've already read? We've already read Maps & Globes, Window on the World, and the book about Gladys Aylward. He's already very familiar with Wild Places and the Living World Encyclopedia. We have also read Hero Tales in the past but I don't think he remembers much of it. Alot of duplication but I still want to use ECC.

Would it be best to eliminate/substitute (I'm sure I could easily find supplemental books for the other history topics) or just use it as is and repeat those items again in ECC. I know ECC will be much more in-depth and I am really looking forward to it. I want my son to really enjoy ECC and I think he will but don't know if repeating those books will make it better or not.

Anyone done this?
Thanks for any info.
Hi! I used some of those books in 2004 with my now 10yo dd.

She doesn't mind us reusing those books (Window on The World, etc.) at ALL! She's a real book lover, anyway, and loves to read books that she likes more than once (don't most kids?).

Of course, if she did NOT like the book the first time around, well, then, no WAY would she want to hear it again.

We are doing ECC this year (just starting week 2 next week) and she was very happy to be reading Window again. She didn't say anything about having to read the Usborne Living World Encyclopedia (is that what it's called? Duh!) again, either.

From what I remember, the geography wasn't that strong when we used these books the first time. At least, I don't remember much about it. So far with ECC, the geography is great! I would probably not worry about chopping anything out...but that is just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps! I would bet that if your child liked the book once, then he/she would like it again. Just my guess.
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

4toraise

Missionary Biographies - Alternatives if we've read them

Unread post by 4toraise » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 pm

granolamom6 wrote:I am considering using ECC. As I look at the missionary stories that are read, I am realizing that we have already read Gladys Aylward and Amy Carmichael this year and have just started Nate Saint.

What would you suggest I do when those particular books come up in the schedule? Would you read through them again or pick another missionary that went to the same country and read about them instead?

We have really enjoyed reading these biographies and so reading more is very interesting to me. Would it be possible to substitute a different missionary that went to China for Gladys Aylward and then one that went to India for Amy Carmichael?

We could re-read the bios. too. How soon does Gladys and Amy appear in the schedule? If they are later on, it would be not so bad to read them again.

Thank you!
Christa
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:15 am
We are using ECC and based on the RAs we've done thus far, they are not tied in with other lessons so you're free to do as much or as little with them as you like. I think it'd be fine to choose another missionary to focus on. Doing this also gives a great opportunity for your kids to know that more than one missionary or denomination goes to foreign countries to spread the gospel.

I might review a bit w/ my kids to see if they remember anything about the previously read missionaries. But, that's 'cause I'm paranoid they won't remember a thing we've done. :)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 pm

granolamom6 wrote: What would you suggest I do when those particular books come up in the schedule? Would you read through them again or pick another missionary that went to the same country and read about them instead?
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007
The biographies are chosen to go along with the country/continents being studied, as you noticed. I think you could go either way on it. Some kids might like to hear them again, others might just want to read about someone else who was around at the time. My kids watch reruns of TV shows and re-read favorite books while adding in new things.
granolamom6 wrote:We could re-read the bios. too. How soon does Gladys and Amy appear in the schedule? If they are later on, it would be not so bad to read them again.
Without digging for my old ecc manual... here's a link to the Table of Contents. They would start around week 21, when Asia starts.
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/eccsample.pdf

Just for planning purposes.... William Carey's bio (India) is read in year 4 of MFW, and Hudson Taylor (China) is read in year 5 of MFW.

-crystal

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:45 pm

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 pm

For China, you could do Eric Liddell.

For India, how about some modern day native missionaries?

Hopegivers International Samuel Thomas and Gospel for Asia's K.P. Yohannan are mighty men of faith who are coordinating a huge native missionary movement in India. You could check out their websites www.hopegivers.org and www.gfa.org

They both have orphanages where they save street children and bring them up in a Christian environment. We have a book about Samuel Thomas and how his ministry got started. He was recently imprisoned but was finally released.

K.P.'s book Revolution in World Missions would be a good one for you or your older children to read. It's free.

You could even adopt a child for $30 a month. Maybe the dc could save money for it. Just some ideas.

granolamom6

Unread post by granolamom6 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 pm

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:03 pm

I love your ideas! In fact, we have just started supporting two children through Compassion International; a boy in India and a girl in Bangladesh. This in one of the reasons I am feeling very drawn to do ECC.

As I said in my original post, we have been reading missionary bios this year and now we've started supporting two children over seas. I want so much to continue with this direction the Lord seems to be drawing us in.

TurnOurHearts

...last year's RA was something he could read on his own thi

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 pm

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi Christa :)
I realize I'm late getting in on this, but I wanted to share something we've done.

Last year in ADV, one of our read-alouds was Squanto. We thoroughly enjoyed it! This year, when we began studying the US in ECC, I pulled Squanto back out for my son to use in his personal reading time. He read a chapter a day or so, and he was really encouraged that last year's RA was something he could read on his own this year! Plus, Mom didn't have to worry about content.

Anyway, I don't know if this is an option or not, but this was one way we used a book that had been previously read & enjoyed.

HTH!

cbollin

We have read many Christian hero biographies

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:08 pm

No Place Like Home wrote:I am curious if I can substitute alternate titles for the CHTAN series laid out in the teacher's manual. I realize that these are in the "deluxe" pkg, so don't know if there are related activites specific to these books. We have read many Christian hero biographies as a family,...

I am thinking of using Clarence Jones as an alternate for Nate Saint. He also served in Ecuador and co-founded World Radio Missionary Fellowship and Radio HCJB. There are plenty of other alternates for Africa from the CHTAN series as well: Mary Slessor, Rowland Bingham, C.T. Studd, etc. I am leaning toward Rowland Bingham, who lived from 1872-1942 and served in the Sudan interior.

So, are there any problems substituting like this? Thanks!
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:21 pm
You'll be fine if you use different missionary stories.

Heads up for your planning...
other titles from that series that are in MFW:
William Carey is scheduled in EX1850

and in 1850MOD these are scheduled
Brother Andrew
Hudson Taylor
Corrie Ten Boom

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,
Since you are familiar with Nate Saint it shouldn't be a problem but I did want to let you know that there is an aviation activity and a cut-out page to make Nate Saint's airplane. We made extra airplanes and attached them to the ceiling fan in our family room so they could "fly" around.

We just finished ECC and loved it. We did the RAs that were assigned and also added a few more because we couldn't stop at one chapter a night!

There are great ideas in TM in the resources section.
Enjoy!

my3sons

ECC Already have read Hero Tales

Unread post by my3sons » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 pm

billswife wrote:I'm thinking about using ECC with my 7th grader next year. He read Hero Tales last year. How important is it to the curriculum? Is there something else I could replace it with?
I would say that while it is a wonderful addition to the year, it is not crucial. That being said, you could do another volume of Hero Tales. There are several available. :)
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

cbollin

Re: ECC Already have read Hero Tales

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

another possibility would be to just do the character/copywork assignments - even if it is quick? and then use another volume like was mentioned.

I liked how MFW tried to schedule the book so the people matched the country or continent being studied. So if you go with another volume, you might try to do something like that.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: ECC Already have read Hero Tales

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Agreeing with the others that another volume would be good, or just reviewing and/or copying the character qualities.

But as a 7th grader, if he's reading the extra 7th grade biographies, and he's already read Hero Tales, I personally wouldn't worry either way. When it comes up in the schedule, you might point out that the hero you read about last year served in this particular continent...
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gorillamama

Biography substitutions in ECC

Unread post by gorillamama » Sun May 20, 2012 11:17 pm

extrafor6 wrote:Hello! I've just orderd ECC and have a quick question about the biography readings...we just read Gladys Aylward and George Mueller earlier this year. Does anyone have any suggestions for substitutions of other Heros of the Faith bios for those readings? Thanks and I'm so excited to begin our journey with MFW :)
Possibly...

Gladys Aylward Substitutions (China/Japan)

Hudson Taylor
Jonathan Goforth
Eric Liddell
Jacob DeShazer
Isobel Kuhn
Lottie Moon

George Muller Substitutions (Europe)

Corrie Ten Boom
John Wesley
C.S. Lewis
William Booth
Count Zinzendorf
Brother Andrew (Andrew van der Bijl)

Hope that helps...

gorillamama

DS4home

Re: Biography substitutions in ECC

Unread post by DS4home » Sun May 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Just a heads up for you - Hudson Taylor, Brother Andrew, and Corrie Ten Boom are all scheduled as read alouds in year 5 (1850-Mod).

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 21, 2012 6:13 am

Another way to substitute would be to go with fiction stories from book basket.

extrafor6

Unread post by extrafor6 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks for those suggestions!
Stephanie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 21, 2012 10:29 am

I posted a few we've read on this thread, and they were all wonderful. And there are some other posts there, as well.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 561#p85177
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs