Science - Is it enough for all ages?

courthart246

Science - Is it enough for all ages?

Unread post by courthart246 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:32 am

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 pm
My ds really likes science. We had been told by a friend that the science in ECC was really light, so I purchased Apologia Zoology 1. While I really liked the Apologia, we ended up dropping it a few weeks ago.

We had found that ECC science was very rich, and we were sometimes rushing through it to get our other science done. I agree that adding book basket books and occasional experiments would probably be enough if you really have a science lover. I know for me, I sometimes try to fit too much into a day. Then he doesn't grasp things because I have taught him too much. I wish I would have enjoyed more nature walks and such this year rather that trying to teach another science curriculum on top of MFW.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm
We tried supplementing the ECC science with Apologia's Flying Creatures. I had heard that the science in ECC was light, and since my ds is a science lover, I thought I would try to add in something else.

While it was very interesting, I felt that the ECC science was enough. We ended up not spending enough time on it when we were trying to also fit in the Apologia. There are so many wonderful library books on habitats, and with that and nature walks I felt that the science was complete on its own. We might try to finish the Apologia book sometime in the summer because we did enjoy the content. It was just too much to add it on to ECC.

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 pm

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 am

Science in ECC is a study of habitats/biomes, and coordinates with the study of the different areas of the world. You would NOT need a seperate science.

In my opinion, the science in ECC does *feel* lighter than some of the other years, but it still packs a punch, if that makes sense. If you are used to a traditional approach, then the gentle, Charlotte-Mason method may feel even lighter to you as you get used to it. But I guarantee that by the end of the year, your children will have retained so much!

Hope that helps!
Amanda

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm

We finished up ECC this year and my kids really enjoyed the science. I had them notebooking at least once a week from their science reading, sometimes each day of the science. They really learned a lot! I was a little leary, but stuck with it and I'm really glad I did.

On occasion I'd pull out our elementary apologia just for fun, but not to replace what we learned with ECC. By the end of the year my kids (grades 2,3) were "researching" in the book basket for their notebooks, I was pretty excited!

Julie in MN

ECC with a 6th grader!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Besides the science lessons in ECC, I also encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to really use nature walks in ECC. It's such a great educational concept, and so often set aside for more paper ways of learning. Science is all about observation and in this age of constant entertainment, I feel nature walks are a great educational opportunity to stop and observe.

Just wanted to add that :) Have fun!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: ECC with a 6th grader!

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 pm

tagging on with Julie's comment about nature walks...... there are a few specific ideas for that activity in the new Ecosystems book that will connect to what lesson you are studying.

-crystal

Julie in MN

General ?s regarding history cycle

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

shera wrote:Ds is more interested in science than history and while history is important I do not feel it is the end all be all subject and do not want to spend all day on it.
If you want tons of science, I typed up this list for someone on another board and it's just regarding ECC. Each year, science is a different experience, but there is more than meets the eye for science-lovers.
  • You might find there is plenty of science in ECC if you really dig into what's there --
    - POE and the related experiments (my ds really enjoyed the one where you weighed the different things in your garbage can for a week!)
    - The teacher manual has an experiment about every week (such as a volcano or an ocean current experiment). If you want to jazz it up, you can make an experiment page about it if you like.
    - Often the manual suggests growing a plant, such as a potato, related to the area you are studying. We grew a lot of plants that year. I have fun photos of potting soil everywhere. If you want to, you can keep a science notebook to record the plant's growth and how much you watered it, etc
    - Often a local food is suggested for part of the geography experience, and you can turn this into a mini experiment with a taste test. We would go to the grocery store & not know which fruit was ripe or there would be several kinds of an unfamiliar fruit, so we'd get a few varieties (hard vs. soft, green vs. orange), and do a taste test or family survey.
    - You create a map of each biome as you go through the year, such as locating the deserts of the world on one map. We found that interesting and sometimes surprising at our house (e.g. the deserts are not along the equator).
    - The Usborne science book tells about different animals unique to each continent. In 1st edition ECC, my son made a notebook page on one interesting thing each day or two, and I think that's still in the 2nd edition manual. His pages are cute to look back on, and this really could be an extensive project.
    - We grew a terrarium/rainforest and a desert scene that year. Not sure if those ideas were in the manual or extra books, but we then habitated the desert scene in CTG (there's an activity where you make a clay desert home, and ds added little animals he had), and our cacti are still surviving on our coffee table!
    - Many of the book basket ideas have extra experiments and activities and just general information to read more about trees and such, as well as learning to draw nature (including one or two of the One Small Square books mentioned)
    - A nature walk is suggested each week, and this can become a whole science program in itself. Really, ECC in 3rd was the only year we spent extensive time on nature walks, so I'm really glad we took advantage of it then.
    - The MFW Ideas board will have extra books and activities that other folks enjoyed, listed by week http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=15

DairyQueen

Science in ECC

Unread post by DairyQueen » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Is it pretty complete, or would I do well to get a science curriculum? Someone who has used it said that most of the science depends on getting into the book basket, which we have not been the greatest about. . . I was thinking of doing Apologia Zoology 3, but I don't want to overwhelm ourselves if there really is enough meat in ECC.

TIA!

jhagberg

Science in ECC

Unread post by jhagberg » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:28 pm

DairyQueen wrote:Is it pretty complete, or would I do well to get a science curriculum? Someone who has used it said that most of the science depends on getting into the book basket, which we have not been the greatest about. . . I was thinking of doing Apologia Zoology 3, but I don't want to overwhelm ourselves if there really is enough meat in ECC.
I don't do much with book basket either, and I thought the science in ECC was just fine.

We loved it! :)
Joyce

Julie in MN

Re: Science in ECC

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:33 pm

I wonder if you talked to someone who used ECC 1st edition? Back when the AIG book "Properties of Ecosystems" was not used, there were some who felt the science was light (notebooking, nature walks, experiments, but no actual science textbooky readings).

Now that POE is used, I only hear folks saying it's more than they need and asking how to pare it down (for little ones, especially, which is explained in the manual but no harm to ask for help). POE is used alongside several other things and I believe the science is plenty for almost all families.

And I always like to say, don't forget to take the time for the weekly nature walks in ECC!

Julie

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 pm

I agree with Julie - I sometimes found science a little tough in ECC. We really enjoyed it though and the book has sections to work through for younger students on up to more challenging sections if I remember well.

What I remember most vividly about ECC is some of the wonderful science experiments! Like when we were studying desert animals & estivation and we measure temps in sun & shade...then buried a bag of ice, left a bowl of same amt of ice in shade and another in sun. I also remember the earthworm niches. So many great experiments.

I enjoyed it. Apologia Zoology would probably be wonderful too - but when you get ECC you will already get POE. Just my .02!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

kbircher

Unread post by kbircher » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks! I was very seriously thinking about switching science to apologia, since with adventures science, I did a lot of supplementing, or worse, just didn't do it! We might give it a shot!

MelissaB

ECC Science - Apologia instead?

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:05 pm

living.grace wrote:I remember someone mentioning they were thinking of switching out Properties of Ecosystems for Apologia's Zoology course. Has anyone actually done this? If so, did you try and link it up with the places being studied? I will have 4 children aged 11, 9, 8 and 6.5 doing ECC this year. Any advice would be appreciated!
Yes, we used both the Prop. of Ecosystems and Apologia science that year. Really, any of the Aplg. zoology books will work great (Being in Australia, you might esp. enjoy the ocean creatures book. It is a favorite among our hs'ing friends. :) )

We chose to do Prop. of Ecosystems because as you study each continent, you'll study the ecosystem that is prominent, or at least included, on some part of that continent. (Tropical ecosystem during Brazil/South Am., desert during study of Africa, etc.) Knowing the physical environment of the land really helped during our ECC study. Often times, one of us would read about a certain quality of a location's ecosystem and say, "That's why the people do _______!" It's amazing how a people group's environment affect their belief systems, their cultural habits, rituals, etc.

Enjoy ECC. It is a rich year!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

gratitude

Re: ECC Science - Apologia instead?

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:51 am

We did Properties of Ecosystems for the first 10 weeks of ECC. The activities though that Marie had in the first 4 weeks of ECC did pull them into the ecology study very well, and I am glad we did that part.

Then I used Land Animals since it also has the mapping with it of each group of animals studied. Each lesson has stickers in the back of the Journal to put on a global map. They really liked doing that part. I didn't line it up with the study, and Properties of Ecosystems is more integrated with the continents being studied. My 8 & 7 year olds were the main reason I swapped it out.

Enjoy ECC! :)

4Truth

Re: ECC Science - Apologia instead?

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 am

In the ECC manual, both in the teacher prep pages at the front of the manual, and here and there throughout the notes during the weekly lessons, Marie tells you how to adapt Properties of Ecosystems for younger children. You can summarize for the student, or use books and videos from Book Basket that are age-appropriate. There are really a lot of different ways to do it.

Also note that usually, the nature walks and activities scheduled each week are tied somehow to the science topic you're studying that week. So those are part of the science in ECC, too. In fact, I wouldn't even really consider the nature walks optional in ECC. (Although in some years the nature walks are definitely optional, and included primarily as part of an overall CM education).

*IF* you choose to add to or swap out the science in ECC for an Apologia book, make sure to look ahead and see which Apologia books are scheduled in other years of MFW. And even when Apologia isn't used, just know that ALL the science topics are studied somewhere in MFW.... so if you do Land Animals during ECC, for example, you'll get it again (though with different books) in Expl-1850. If you are start substituting the sciences in MFW early on, you're going to get stuck in a rut of having to substitute all the way through because you've "already done that". You can do whatever you want in your own homeschool, of course, so this is really just an FYI. :) MFW tries very hard to tie the science topics with the history and/or Bible, either chronologically (as in the 6 days of Creation found in 1st grade and CTG), by location (as in ECC) or topically (as in Adventures with the names of Jesus), or according to which areas of science were booming the most (discoveries, etc.) at certain points in history (as in RTR, EX1850, and 1850MOD).
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.