* Testimonies from Users - Thanks ECC!

tkbbrl6

* Testimonies from Users - Thanks ECC!

Unread post by tkbbrl6 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:39 pm

We just finished week 11 of ECC. This is our first year with MFW and we are loving it. I mean, where else but with ECC could you have your dc beg not to leave studying South America and Rainforest - they want me to come up with one more week of work. This was the discussion in our classroom today when I said, "Okay, next week we will be leaving South America and flying off to Europe." "No, come on mom, can't you find something on the internet for us to do still about South America? How about a project for us - one of those lapbook things?" said ds 8. And dd 10 chimes in, "oh, we could add in North America too. Oh, how about if we do several - one for the US, one for Canada, one for Mexico, one for the rainforest and one for South America." ds 8 adds. "we might need to do more than one for South America." To which the 3 yo pipes up from the other room and says, "I want a book for my lap about monkey's and buffalo!"

Isn't learning fun?!?!!! So I guess we've had a travel delay and will staying somewhere in South America or North America next week!
Wife to dh for 13 years
Mom to ds (19) Sophmore at USC; dd(11) Level 7 USAG gymnast; ds(9) Green belt in Karate; ds (4)Still waiting for a pet buffalo or lion
Using RTR

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:57 am

We just finished week 3 of ECC and Day 14 of 1st...and I love it! My kids are really enjoying it, too! Next year we'll be doing K and CTG!

I used and tried several programs...and I am HOOKED on MFW! This curriculum is PERFECT for us! Wohoo!
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

kellybell

Thanks ECC!

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:42 am

I want to do a little bragging, and will hope you will bear with me.

First off, my kids aren't geniuses, just ordinary homeschooled kids. In 2003-4 we did ECC.

Today, our newspaper had an article about a local geography survey of random people (moms, professionals, students, a principal). It was based on a national survey done a half year ago or so of 18 to 24 year olds (I remember reading this a while ago).

The survey participants were asked where Colorado (our state), New York City, Afghanistan, Iraq, Africa, and North Korea were. While it was easy to find Colo., NYC, and Africa, most couldn't find Iraq, North Korea, and Afghanistan. Our community, a military one that has sent many to the middle east did slightly better than the nation did, on average.

They had bonus questions too, "name a country in Africa and locate it on a map." While many people could name a country in Africa, it was harder to place it on a map. Also, people said that non-African countries (Nicaraugua, Guatemala, etc.) were in Africa.

The best results they got was a 22 year old who was homeschooled who placed all six areas correctly on a map and could name AND place six African countries.

So, my 10 yo dd trudges downstairs in her jammies, hair going every which way, and before she has a chance to pour some cornflakes I show her the unlabeled map in the paper and ask her to name the six places from the quiz. She aces it, looking a little perturbed that I am keeping her from her breakfast. Then (here's where I must say that the ECC geography game worked), I showed her the World Geography book's blank map of Africa (ie. borders but no names) and asked her to name and place as many countries as she could. She did 32 without pausing. As far as I could tell, she got them right (I played the geography game too, so I know a few still). Then, she went and got some cereal.

I am thankful that ECC worked so well. My kids have a global understanding of how people live and worship, how they hunger for God, and ... where Ghana is.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

sandi

Unread post by sandi » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21 am

Hi Kellybell!
That is so awesome to see how our children actually "get" what we teach them.

Last year we did ECC. We had alot of things going on with family members (sickness) and other things going on. I did an awful job being a teacher! This year we are using CTG and I am doing it right! Boy, they are learning sooo much when I take time to be a good teacher! They did get some last year but we didn't play the game when we were supposed to .

I know you felt proud that your kiddo got it! We are so blessed to be able to homeschool! I too am glad that my kiddos are not getting on the school bus everyday.

I want to share one quick thing that happened to me yesterday. My husband ran to the store and took our 5yr. old dd along for the ride. He came back and said dd had told him everything she had learned for the day. She sang him the short vowel song and gave him a very in depth bible lesson. I praised God that she was learning so much about HIM! I know that it is nothing good that I do only God working through me to teach my kids.

One more time YEAH for you and the geography! Thanks for the encouragement today to press on it is working!
His Child,
Sandi

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:22 pm

What an encouragement! Thanks for sharing! :o)

And pretty cool, too, huh? You should call up the reporter who did the article and tell him/her that story!
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Sandi, That's so cool about your 5 yo. I love it when my kids easily learn things I never was taught in our "excellent" public schools. I'm sorry that ECC didn't run smoothly for you due to illness, etc. That must've been a tough year. I'm glad to hear that CTG is a rich and fun year for you! I really loved our CTG year too. We just learned so much.

Donna, I actually DID think about writing a letter to the editor, thanking them for featuring a homeschooler as their geography hero and challenging them to show up and ask my dd her African countries.

But you know, I would much rather be able to say that my kiddos have a "feel" for Africa, for how there are poor people there, how they have weird religions, how AIDS is such a bad scourge. When we studied Kenya, my then-neighbor (wish she didn't move, but she did) introduced me to a family that had moved to our town (and attended her church) from Kenya. Really neat family living in this tiny apartment. She kindly invited me over and she treated us to Kenyan tea and showed us all these things that she brought over from Africa. It was wonderful. She told the children that "you have a very old mother, by Africa standards." She explained that anyone over 40 was considered to be in their "grace years" because most people don't live that long and those who do are shown special grace by God. Oh, I was only 38 then!! She said that EVERYONE in her village either knew someone with AIDS or had AIDS themselves.

Those are the things that I want them to come away with. Although I must admit that knowing where Botswana is (when most adults don't) is pretty cool too.

I didn't want to brag on my dd, but I did want to say that it was ECC that was well-written and gave us the tools to learn these things. My older dd (she's 12) didn't retain as much, but she still could pinpoint about 15 countries in Africa (which I myself found to be the hardest continent in ECC to learn!).

I wanted to just post that so that those of you doing ECC right now can look forward to, in about four years, having your little freckled 10 yo come traipsing downstairs able to recall those African countries you learned in 2006!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

shellie

Unread post by shellie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm so glad you shared your exciting story with us... especially since I'm a first-time home schooler with my two boys in ECC! I already have had tiny tastes of what you felt... when my 8 year old was rattling on about Suriname and Equador and Uruguay to someone at church, I got a big ol' smile on my face! ^__^ The boys (and I!) have learned so much in our first 11 weeks of home schooling, and it is nice to know that some of that knowledge may actually stick! Thank you for the encouragement!

shellie

angelsoup

MFW receives many TOS Excellence in Education Awards!!

Unread post by angelsoup » Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 am

mamaofredheads wrote:I received my The Old Schoolhouse Magazine today. MFW is listed for many awards!!
Bible Curriculum - 1st Place
History - 2nd Place
Geography - 2nd Place
Phonics - 2nd Place
Music - 2nd Place
Friendliest - 2nd Place
Most Unique - 2nd Place
Best Unit Study - 2nd Place
Best Classical Resource - 3rd Place
Best Overall Homeschool Company - 3rd Place

Some of the additional resources they recommend received awards also:
Creation Science - Apologia - 2nd Place
Science - Apologia - 1st Place
Math - Singapore - 3rd Place
Writing (Composition) - Writing Strands - 2nd Place
Art - How Great Thou Art - 1st Place
Foreign Language - Rosetta Stone - 1st Place
Best Software Product - Rosetta Stone - 1st Place

Wow! Congratulation to David, Marie & the MFW team, although I know they give God all the glory.
Glenna
Posted Fri May 04, 2007 10:47 am by angelsoup
I would still be floundering and failing, if God had not lead me to MFW. God I thank you for The Hazell family and all the others families on the MFW team. Thank you MFW for being obedient to the vision God gave you - your faithfulness has blessed us and many others. May God continue to pour out his many blessings on you.

Congratulations!

TNLisa

So exciting - I had to share! (contd.)

Unread post by TNLisa » Tue May 22, 2007 10:50 am

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:46 pm
Friends, I don't know if you've been following my post - but today ONE MORE THING happened that confirmed our switching over to MFW - I have to share!

I got my ECC deluxe set last night and I read the idea about finding old National Geographic magazines for the John 3:16 poster. I immediately made a mental note to find these over the summer.

My kids both had soccer games today. My plan was to rummage through the recycling bins on our way home. We had stuff to drop off - so it'd be on our way.

Picture this - my whole family rummaging through the bins - kids are in soccer gear and INSIDE the bins looking for N.G. magazines. No luck. It was hot. After 15-20 minutes of looking, I told them we'd check another day.

Just as we were walking away, a man walked up to dump magazines in the bin. My husband said hello and explained why our kids were in the bin (hee, hee) --- THE MAN HAD NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINES IN HIS BOX TO DONATE! He had 7 of them and gladly gave them to us.

What an awesome testimony to our kids right then and there - we praised Jesus all the way home!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT ELSE GOD WILL DO!

Blessings to all,
Lisa
StarrMama wrote:Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:23 pm
I love stories like this to remind me that God is in the big stuff as well as the little stuff :)
~Rose
Follow-Up - Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:57 pm
It just keeps happening! Tonight we listened to a wonderful orchestra perform --- they played several hymns and the music was just beautiful.

One hymn in particular was "This is my Father's World" --- My husband elbowed me and smiled!!!
:)
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

Re: So exciting - I had to share! (contd.)

Unread post by Guest » Tue May 22, 2007 10:54 am

TNLisa wrote:I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT ELSE GOD WILL DO!
Posted Mon May 21, 2007 5:40 am by cbollin
Speaking of that hymn, This is My Father's World.....

One week this January (2007) my dh and I decided to talk to our church's missions committee about God's Word for the Nations and possibly doing some kind of fund raising as a short term donation. (GWN is the Bible translation fund that MFW has.) We were excited and nervous about it.

Sunday morning arrives and that week was the first time in 7 years (of us being with this church) that we sang This is My Father's World in service. Lots of glances from lots of people as my dh, oldest dd and I just stood there laughing through the first verse. We go to the contemporary music style service so it was odd enough to sing a hymn. It was the gentle nudge we needed.

We were able to arrange for David H to speak at our church. It turned out that one of our pastors was going to on a short term trip to the Ukraine and had wanted to take some Bibles with him to share with children. Now he has 4 Russian Children's Bibles to take with him. Thank you David H for coming to speak that day. Our pastor was able to share those Bibles on his trip.

-crystal

girlzx3

Just wanted to brag on MFW!!

Unread post by girlzx3 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:59 pm
Hi all,
I am a frequent lurker, but just had to post about an experience I had last week. My church homeschool group did an end of year "favorites fair" where the kids were able to "show off" their favorite thing this year.

We did ECC this year. My kids decided to display many of the different crafts and projects they had done for the various countries throughout the year. We had two large boards full of chinese lanterns, arabic alphabet, german colors, chinese dragons, african masks and jewelry, soap carvings, cloth baskets, traditional clothing from around the world, etc.......

Not to brag (well maybe a little), but my kids were a hit!! Everyone kept asking them about their projects, what their favorite place to visit was, they were just amazed at how much the kids accomplished this year!! I was able to brag on MFW's and was blessed by having this opportunity to look back over all we accomplished this year.

I just praise the Lord for allowing me to homeschool. Just wanted to share!!
Blessed to be homeschooling my 3 girls
Brooke 10 (RtoR), Megan 5 (MFW K) and Katelyn 11 mos. (just being cute!!)

ChristyH

Excited again!

Unread post by ChristyH » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:19 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:28 pm
I just want to say that I am so excited about ECC this year. I am looking forward to less stress in the schedule and doing fun crafts again with my children and reading about people who really gave of themselves for the Lord. The more I have prayed and reflected upon what we are going to study the more I feel this "largeness" within myself, perhaps I feel like am doing something more worthwhile. School with a bigger purpose I guess.

I'll quit while I am ahead now! LOL
Christy in Michigan, who is sorry to gush

kellybell

Re: Excited again!

Unread post by kellybell » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:33 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:08 pm
Hi Christy,

I'm excited for you. ECC is such a neat year. You know, I was excited to start it too, but it was probably because it was our first year homeschooling and even textbooks would've been exciting that year.

So, we started ECC and were really enjoying it and I was thinking, "what nice, easy (maybe even light) year four our first year homeschooling..." But then I started realizing that it was indeed quite "deep" (not heavy though) as my kids were gaining a real knowledge of other cultures, of other belief systems, of how people hungered for Christ. They were becoming globally-minded in a Christ-centered way. Oh, and they were learning to enjoy learning! (No, we are not there yet) but they started picking up books for (gasp!) fun, something they rarely did when they WENT to school the previous few years.

Have fun. It's worth getting excited about.

SandKsmama

Re: Excited again!

Unread post by SandKsmama » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:11 am

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 am
Gush away - I tell you what, when I found MFW, I gushed plenty! Now, I'm starting our 3rd year using it, and I STILL gush:-) It's just THAT great!

Amanda

ChristyH

Testimony: The best week of school I can remember...

Unread post by ChristyH » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 am

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:46 pm
I strongly believe I am here to stay with MFW. I have had the best week of school that I can remember. I accomplished everything that was on our list. It was very relaxing because I wasn't second guessing myself. I could focus on actual teaching and the children for the most part enjoyed their lessons. No more hunting for books to purchase and no more time planning. The "doability", like my new word?, is incredible. I have come to the end of the week and I feel good, not guilty.

Even though the decision to change to MFW was impulsive, I feel lovely peace. I remember this time last year when I look back at my notes at how much we were struggling with what to do in homeschooling and how to make it work. Believe it or not, I have spent more time getting things done around the house. That might not be a great commercial for MFW. ;0)

Anyway all of this to say, I am happier then I thought I would be and plan to stick around for quite a while.
Julie in MN wrote:Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:31 am
What an encouragement - thanks for posting! Peace is a good sign :o) And amazingly at the end of a peaceful day, I find we have learned more, too!
Julie

momathomewith4

Great 1st four weeks even during major upsets

Unread post by momathomewith4 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:11 pm
We are winding up our 4th week in ECC and I just wanted to share how things have been going.

In nutshell--or perhaps a "nut" house? 5 inches of water in the basement 3 days prior to starting school--most school supplies from past 5 yrs housed there; 3 year old put the brakes on potty training after 2 weeks of pretty good success; most non-complaining student from last year has become emotional mess this year; computer hard drive crashed and even though dh makes his living as a huge computer geek (his words, not mine) nothing can be saved. There's actually more involving scorpions, termites, near death experiences, and insect larva in the Spelling Power sandbox, but I'll save that for another day!

BUT--today my 13yr old son was able to label 40 of the states correctly, my 10 yr old son labeled 37 correctly, and my 8 year old labeled 21 correctly. My 2 younger boys LOVE MFW science this year, they LOVE that we are doing art of any kind this year, and while they haven't actually said so, I think all 3 of them are very happy with singing the hymns, family read alouds, and Book Basket. (Even when we are having to run out of the house for errands and I tell them to grab 2-3 book basket books to flip through in the car.) So while the beginning of our school year looked NOTHING like I dreamed it would, I am truly thrilled with ECC and all the changes we've made.

TNLisa

It only gets better each week!

Unread post by TNLisa » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 am

Posted Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:55 am by TNLisa
We're at the end of Week 10 with ECC --- it only gets better each week!
My 3rd grader and 7th grader are both challenged - and really seem to be enjoying the lessons. Some of our favorite aspects have been the Hero Tales character traits and the missionary read-aloud books. My son (the 7th grader) naturally loves geography - so everything we do has been like icing for him. My daughter REALLY is enjoying science - she's even asked to do a report on a rain forest animal.

This is our first year with MFW and all I can say is Praise the Lord! There has been nothing but PEACE throughout this school year. I hesitated to embrace all of MFW's recommendations - but ended up taking the plunge and haven't regretted a single thing. Singapore math, PLL and Spelling Power are 3 "new" things for us this year with my daughter and they have been a perfect fit. My son is doing well with Writing Strands.

We are lovin' school this year - and we are very thankful for MFW.

Blessings,
Lisa
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

ChristyH

What Hubby said

Unread post by ChristyH » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:37 am

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:06 am by ChristyH
My husband emailed me from, which he usually doesn't but this was so nice to get.

I really think MFW is the right curriculum. I don't ever remember the children talking about any other as much. That was just in my head so I thought I would share it. You're doing a fantastic job.

I believe we will sticking around for awhile.

lyntley

I silently thank God

Unread post by lyntley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:45 am

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:25 pm by lyntley
We are in Mexico at the moment. The day we "arrived" we made tortillas and have been eating mexican food ALL week. I think I'm going to gain 10 pounds before we get to Canada.

The kiddies loved their Passports and the airplane ride we took. Our sun faces have been drying for 5 days now. I sure hope they will be dry and ready for Fiesta. It's been fairly humid so we'll just tie in a science lesson here.

I have to say again though that The Book basket is amazing! The first week that "mom picked" out all the library books the kiddies questioned the whole thing but they have found all of the books to be very enjoyable. They are always picking one out for the car or to sneak into bed.

I've been reading Cam Townsend in the eve's at bed time with DD9. We are really enjoying this special time. I asked DD9 and DS7 a few days ago if they are enjoying school this year and they each answered with an emphatic "yes" It really made my day, week... year. Last night while DS7 was praying for dinner (over Chicadilles) he went on Thanking God "...that we get to study Mexico, and that we have more fun than other schooled kids, and that we would get to study more fun place and eat more good food. Amen" ANd I silently thank God for giving us MFW.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 pm
We actually have four more weeks of ECC. I'm already grieving that we're at the end of it. Although I'm thinking it's really not the end.. .. The kiddies are so aware of different cultures, people groups, and places on the map that I know ECC has only just lit a fire of learning and exploring for them that will forever be a part of who they are.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 am
We can get so bogged down with the curriculum we use and pulling things together from here and there. TRying to keep the biblical focus without neglecting the academics.

MFW is exactly what I was trying to do on my own and has done it better than I could've done myself. The heart of the ministry is precious and priceless. After sharing our family's experience with ECC this past year, there are 6 or 7 families from my church who have decided to use MFW and possibly a MFW co-op starting up. We are so thankful that God has lead us here.

courthart246

Blessed

Unread post by courthart246 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:50 am

Posted Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm by courthart246
We also have been extremely blessed by this curriculum. We are working through ECC currently after having done 1st and Adventures. ECC has proven to be just as wonderful for us. My ds is extremely interested in Missions, and there is a great emphasis placed on learning about and praying for people around the world in the Bible portion. It has greatly increased his awareness of the many people around our world who do not know Christ, some do not even have a Bible in their language.

We are currently in Brazil and studying rainforests. We have enjoyed studying about this country. We know 1 missionary family in Brazil and one on their way to Brazil. My ds is going to write to their son this week to learn some more interesting things about going to school in Brazil, food, etc... Even my little ones have enjoyed the book basket books about rainforests, especially all of the animals. I continue to love this curriculum and I recommend it to my friends. So far two of my friends have begun to try it out. So that's where we are

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:15 pm
We too finished ECC last week, and it has been such a wonderful year. My ds has learned so much...and so have I!

ChristyH

Words are inadequate

Unread post by ChristyH » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Posted Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:02 am by ChristyH
We have read the first bio's for ECC, William Townsend and Nate Saint, and they have been fantastic. The children just beg for more and they move me to tears. They are really having their eyes opened to living and dying for Christ.

This curriculum has been such a blessing to our family. Words are inadequate to describe it.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:33 am
I have to admit that I am sad that our first year with MFW is over. We did ECC. It was our best school year ever and I don't want it to end. They memorized so much scripture and love studying the countries.

mgardenh

Daddy, can we do more school?

Unread post by mgardenh » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:07 pm

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:12 am by mgardenh
Daddy, can we do more school? Yes, That is what I heard yesterday from my daughter. I have been homeshcooling for almost 2 years and have never had my daughter say that. She has said I don't like school. If you all remember we just recently switched to MFW 1 from a previous program. Were on day 16 and loving it so far. Just thought I'd share. Oh yeah and I said yes we can do more!

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 pm
MFW is so easy even dad can do it. I know, I am one. I love MFW. I love everything that everyone else has said. I have 2 special needs children and MFW works well with the one that is school age. I tried a different curriculum-did not work. I love not stressing about school and what my DD is learning. I love the message board, right now my only real support (kind of difficult being a homeschooling dad and having support). Thank you all you wonderful ladies.

ptrussell

Quote of the day!!!

Unread post by ptrussell » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Posted Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:49 pm by ptrussell
Before MFW, I was so bogged down with school that the kids and I never had time to explore things we were really interested in. I kept catching myself thinking----

"We are too busy doing school that we don't have time to learn."

TurnOurHearts

So pleased

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm by TurnOurHearts
I have been so pleased with how my son is learning geography & geography terms. At the beginning of ECC, you spend a couple of weeks focusing on maps - the different kinds (physical, political, etc.), how to read/interpret, how to use, latitude & longitude, etc. I felt like we got off to a great start.

One of our favorite games was the Lat/Long game. I call out a particular set of degrees & my son has to find the location on our world map. He still enjoys doing this. Each time we enter a new country, this skill is reviewed again - I need the review as much as he does! ;)

Also, each week we're given a new geography term to copy & learn. Because it's only once a week, my son looks forward to it very much - a kind of "yay, it's Friday" thing.

Anyway, I don't think you'll need extras. As someone who, unfortunately, knew very little about geography, I have felt completely comfortable teaching the subject.

Happy2BMotherof3

Awesome

Unread post by Happy2BMotherof3 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:28 pm

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm by Happy2BMotherof3
By the way we are doing ECC and finishing up our last week in ECC and it is such an awesome curriculum. I'm so glad I got it! I wasn't so sure in the beginning about it but bought it because my husband said to.......boy has it been such a blessing! It's meaty, interesting, and I love how the missionary stories go along with the countries.....it makes it real. I will be hanging onto my ECC stuff to use with my youngest and middle child when my youngest gets older. My middle child is doing it now alongside her older sibling, but I figure she could do it again along with her younger sibling when she gets older so she'll retain more later.