Non-USA Family - Will ECC work?

kellybell

Non-USA Family - Will ECC work?

Unread post by kellybell »

Jackie in Australia wrote:Hi everyone,

I love the look of ECC and I was wondering if someone who's familiar with it could tell me whether it would be appropriate for a non-USA family to use. It looks pretty balanced from what I can tell, but I just thought I'd double-check!

Kind regards,
Jackie.
Jackie,

I think ECC will work just fine. ECC's first country studied is USA which works great for us USA citizens. Perhaps you could do Australia first and you might know some different resources than we have in our country.

Just remember that the recommended resources listed in the back of ECC is just that ... recommended (and not required).

Is it safe for me to assume that you have access to a decent library and to some basic craft supplies?

ECC is such a fun year. Even if it needs a little tweaking, you'll have a great time.

Welcome to our happy little group.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Also, when you study Australia, you might look back at the USA pages in the teacher manual for some good idea on extra activities to do in Australia. The extras in the USA included studying where some of the states were, alphabetizing the 50 states, and learning the national anthem. Not a lot, & easy to move over & apply to your own neighborhood instead.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

Jackie,

When my family did ECC, we studied the Australian unit both at the beginning and end of the year. My children were very interested in Australia because of television personalities (The Wiggles and the late Steve Irwin). ECC was a delightful year for learning about many peoples around the world and not just the USA.

Kelly mentioned on this thread about library use. One of the ideas in ECC is to enrich your study of each country with the use of library books for your children to enjoy on their own. It may be the case that you will have to find titles on your own if the many that are suggested are not available. The required books that you will need for ECC are in the basic and deluxe packages. The library books are flexible for the titles.

--crystal
Jackie in Australia

Thanks everyone

Unread post by Jackie in Australia »

I'm convinced now that ECC would be beneficial and enjoyable for our family, so thank you again for taking the time to fill me in!

Blessings,
Jackie.
Lucy

Unread post by Lucy »

Jackie,

Welcome to the MFW board! I think that everyone has already convinced you that ECC would work for you and I whole-heartedly agree.

I did want to comment that the U.S. is studied first, but then North America is the first continent to be studied. It is studied along with Mexico and Canada too.

I think as the others have suggested you could simply switch the weeks and begin your year with Austraila, if you like, since that is your home. Then you could continue from the beginning. North America is actually not begun until week 3. The first 2 are spent on general geography to get you started.

Hope to see you on the board again.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.
Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

More for Canadian families here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2749
Mommyto2

Favourite things from Adventures...

Unread post by Mommyto2 »

Mum In Zion wrote:Shalom, I love to read the forums but rarely post. So let me quickly re-introduce myself. We are an Australian missionary family living in Israel. I am homeschooling our 2 kids, ds 7 (MFW1) and dd 5 (MFWK). We really enjoy MFW and look forward to starting ECC with ds in the Fall and MFW1 with dd sometime at the end of the year.

We have chosen to go with ECC rather than Adventures because we are not Americans. I spoke to David Hazell about this at a Conference last summer, and he just recommended stretching ECC out over 18 months by including more study on Australia and include a longer Israel/Middle East section. This will make dd a little older (more mature) to be able to handle the Creation to Greeks year.

I have just received the ECC Teacher's Manual and this seems quite easy to fit in, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to stretch it out to 18 months. So...I was just wondering if there are any "must do" things from Adventures that you would recommend we include in our ECC year...Bible, Science, Art... I would welcome any other suggestions to extend ECC to 18 months.

Thank you and Blessings from Jerusalem,
Michelle
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:04 am
I am not an expert on Australia or Israel but we just finished Moutain Born which is about a family raising sheep in times before all the modern technology (carding wool and making their own cloth, etc.)

Wouldn't that be applicable to both cultures? Maybe you could compare and contrast shepherding in Israel vs. Australia.

Of course I cried at the end of the book and my ds looked at me and said, "It's only a story mom."

Brenda
Julie in MN

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:18 am

Shalom to you, as well!

I think as you go thru ECC, you could just add weeks to countries you find you are interested in, or add countries that you wish were included in ECC. For adding countries, there are some ideas in the archives. I remember we wanted to know more about Panama, the country that links two continents. The "A Trip Around The World" books have more countries in there that you could easily add. ECC has a nice flow after you get going, and you will see the pattern for visiting each continent/country.

You will also have time to take advantage of local opportunities. Field trips and outside classes count as school, as do holiday celebrations and special guests. Your kids are young enough that even visiting community services is educational (library, fire dept., garbage co., etc.). My son keeps a separate notebook of field trips. He types a little bit about each one, and we illustrate with brochures, online pictures, or our own digital photos. I have been trying to find a date for each site and put them in chronological order, so he can see the development of our state, but this is not always easy...

Also, the first couple of weeks of ECC are a general overview of geography. Spend extra time on those with your young ones. They don't have to absorb everything, since it will be reinforced throughout ECC, but there is a lot in there and much of it could be fun.

Just some ideas,
Julie
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

Mum In Zion wrote:I didn't realize the "Trip Around the World" books included more countries than covered in the curriculum. So it should be easy enough to add a few countries and just take our time to enjoy them.

I will look through the archives for ideas too. Do you know if there are suggestions for "living books" like the Christian Heroes series to go with the extra countries?
Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 am

Michelle,
It is so good to see you again!!!

My oldest did ECC as a 2nd grade age before Adventures program was written. I have a few other ideas floating around in my head to help fill in some gaps to extend ECC a little bit.

The Bible and Science from ADV would be fine to do. You could consider doing those units during the times you break from the ECC schedule or even before fully starting ECC. And maybe some build-your-own studies for a few weeks using the framework in ADV to help. ADV is an overview of basic history facts, an introduction to leaders (Presidents) who are the most commonly talked about that younger kids need to know, and then an overview of states and regions. Perhaps that could be a unit to do each of Australia and Israel along with the Bible and Science in ADV?? You could just focus on the basic geography. Important cities. Regional foods. Getting to know the history of the city where you live.

Julie mentioned about Trip Around the World and Another Trip Around the World. Also, take a look at the book called World Geography in ECC. You could slow down a bit and do more of the pages in that book (do them together work your child because she’s young) and add in the craft and activities in that book for Australia too. That could help to extend the time in Australia. Just do one page a day *with* your child. Even if you can’t find all of the information, sometimes just hearing the names of mountain and rivers and seeing a picture of them can be beneficial. And then don’t worry about the filling in worksheets.

Hmm. Thinking out loud. Would it be helpful to have a book such as Writing a State Report to help in your situation to guide you through more ways to study Australia? hmmm… I don’t know. But it might help you to have a book like that to know what kind of topics to cover. You wouldn’t expect your student to have a write a full report. I just mean the book could help you to structure your unit study. MFW sells that book in the EX1850 year.

You asked about other Christian Hero books. Those are published by YWAM Publishing. They do carry other titles. MFW uses more of them in later years in the program, so you might want to hold off from some of them until then. Take a look at EX1850 and 1850MOD deluxe to see which titles. I haven’t used the publishers' unit studies for the series because we just use the books for read aloud. But that might be one option in your case where you are trying to extend the year by several months.

blessings,
-crystal
Julie in MN

ECC then do Adventures?

mshanson3121 wrote:I'm thinking of doing ECC next year for grade 2, then going back to Adventures, then going with the rest of the family cycle. Reasons why:

1. My son is a huge nature/animal lover and I know that the science is more up his alley.
2. I've wanted to start studying some Catholic saints, so I know that ECC lends itself nicely to subbing the missionary stories with Saints.
3. We're in Canada - so I know it's recommended to either skip Adventures or sub it with Canadian materials. I don't mind that idea (the latter) and in fact I've written up a weekly list of topics, but right now life is so hectic - my son has SPD and is in special swimming lessons (for therapy) as well as has OT, and our daughter is in Early Intervention and about to go through some screening, so may be joining her brother in OT. And honestly..... the idea of having to come up with my own stuff EVERY week for Canada studies, is a bit overwhelming.

So... I've thought of doing ECC next year, and then the following year, when things have (hopefully!!!!) calmed down, doing Adventures and subbing in the Canadian topics I chose. In a way, too, I thought it kinda went nicely: world geography with a brief study of Canada, then a year of in-depth Canadian history, then going into the ancient history. Your thoughts? Any reason why this wouldn't work?
I think technically it could work. I considered doing that, when Marie wrote Adventures after we'd finished ECC, way back when. The flow of history would be a bit wobbly, but the foundational things would be there, I think.

However, the biggest problem is probably that you -- the teacher, the mom -- will be going from a program written for grades 3-8, and after that to a program written for grades 2-3. Your student won't know that. I'd say that "IF" you can force yourself to make ECC a 2nd grade program (which families with younger siblings use it for), that will make all the difference.

The thing is, I was doing ECC with my *youngest* child. Most families with 2nd graders in ECC are doing it with *younger* siblings. It's so easy for all of us to think our oldest child is older than he is. I was totally like that with my oldest, too. And I'm an oldest, myself, so I just know how I really was not as old as even I thought I was.

If you can have 2nd-grade-level fun with your 2nd grader in ECC, even with those older activities in the manual, then I think it's do-able. Take a big black marker and mark out things, if you need to :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs