Supplies - Finding National Geographic Magazines

kellybell

Supplies - Finding National Geographic Magazines

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:13 pm

amylynn12 wrote:I am having a hard time finding used National Geographic magazines for ECC that aren't a fortune. :) People are selling them on Craigslist in our local area for $300/set. :( Is there another option that may be cheaper? Does anyone know where to find them less expensive? :) We haven't started ECC yet, but hope to next week. Do you use the photos from the magazines very often?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Blessings!
Amy
Well, here are a few options:

1. Tell the old folks at church you are studying different countries and ask them if they have an old pile you can have. You never know...

2. Tell the librarian your problem. Perhaps the library checks out National Geographic, then you can get what you need for free (just can't keep it). Ours does, just not the most current copy. Also, sometimes libraries sell the older copies cheap -- they don't have room to hold on to all of them.

3. Check the thrift stores and used book stores. We've picked up a few here and there.

4. Don't forget to ask your homeschooling buddies where THEY find old magazines, etc. THey might have a good source you never thought of.

5. Don't sweat it. We used ours very little. We got more information (and less evolution and less culturally-acceptable partial nudity) from library books.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Amy,
I only remember using them for the John 3:16 poster. An alternate source for pictures of the "world's people" would be any missions-related magazines or mail that you receive.
Julie
[note: others found more uses in posts below]
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Susan on the Space Coast

How about

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:14 pm

How about Zoo books for the animals you'll study?

Someone was throwing away a magazine at my optometrist's that had award-winning photos of children from around the world! Can you believe it? My doctor is in the Rotary club, so that was the magazine.

One of our libraries has NG books to tear apart, another has them to only check out.

Hunting is half the fun!
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

workman

Unread post by workman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:47 pm

We were able to get quite a few inexpensively at Half Priced Books. If you have one in your area you might try that. I also had lots of luck at thrift stores.

Nancy

qfbrenda

Unread post by qfbrenda » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Many counties across the country have groups where people give away things they don't need anymore. Ours uses a Yahoo email group to offer and ask for things. I asked for National Geographic magazines and received more than I can use! You might consider signing up for the one in your area. But one thing... most groups want you to offer something before you request something. But that's not hard... almost all of us have something sitting around we don't need and would be willing to give away. :)

http://www.freecycle.org/
Brenda

wife for 12 yrs, mom to 5 boys so far! 10 yrs, 8 yrs, 5.9 yrs, 3 yrs, and 7 months old

Using ECC and bits of pieces from Sonlight Core 5, K, and prek

cbollin

Magazine pictures

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 am

I usually go to the county recycling center. We have a section for old magazines. Someone either has Nat'l Geo there or I don't limit picture getting from just that magazine.

I've asked my neighbors or ask around at church if anyone has something O meed. Someone will make a quick announcement or put it in the bulletin. There were lots of folks who had stuff just sitting around.

I've been known to go to a travel agency and get free brochures and just use those. That was best source of pictures of places -- travel agency brochures. I just told them I was a teacher and needed some pictures for my classroom. They didn't try to sell me on going anywhere.

And sometimes we'll just print something from a touristy website.

One time we were in a waiting room at a doctor's appointment and they let us have a magazine. And there were a lot of free brochures in the waiting room with kids' pictures on them.

And then the bulk mail that comes to our house --- coupon books, any kind of ad, or anything --- lots of color photos of people on those.

--crystal

southernshae

Unread post by southernshae » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 am

Another idea (this is what I did) is to call Voice of the Martyrs and ask to be on their mailing list. You will receive very nice newsletters with lots of pictures and info (I forget how often). The text for their main newsletter would be geared for older kids or adults, though.

OR, you can call Voice (VOM) and request to have your child on their mailing list for their kids magazine called Kids of Courage. It is really great and has recipes, sometimes crafts, ways to pray, how to sing a praise song in different languages, etc., etc., for kids in countries where there is persecution. Since you need the stuff right away, I'd call and ask if they could send you any "back" issues right away as well as ask to be on the mailing list.

Southernshae

mamaofredheads

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 am

Try garage sales too. I see Nat'l Geographics at those all the time - usually a big box of them for a few cents or sometimes free.

Glenna

tkbbrl6

Unread post by tkbbrl6 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:17 am

In terms of the library - you will be there frequently! - what I do is ask every few weeks I'm in. After awhile they get to know you so they will even save some of the stuff for you.

Don't forget to ask relatives and neighbors to save their old mags for you also - if you don't want to have the mags stacking up what I do is every so often I take a stack while the kids watch TV or a movie and I tear out the pages that I think have pics we'll use at some time and then I have a file folder they can go to when they want/need pics.

I also use the web - we google search images, etc. and we use clip art from our word processing program.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:58 am

Your Sunday paper should have a Travel section in it, too.

amylynn12

Unread post by amylynn12 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:19 pm

I wonder if an adoption agency that specializes in International Adoptions might have brochures, or magazines that you could purchase from them? I remember receiving one quite awhile back with precious photos of children from all over the world. I wish I could remember the name of the agency. I want to say it was "All God's Children."

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 am

One thing I have learned (from my high schooler) is how to use the google search and then click the images button! So when I can't find a mag picture to cut out, I just google an image and print it off. If you have that ability it's a good option.
Dawn

lyntley

What National Geographics are used for

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:03 am

faithmom wrote:Could you please tell me what National Geographics are used for in ECC?
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 am

We used pics for collages. One of people/cultures. Missionary magazines, were also helpful. And others were of different types of animals; those that live in the rain forest, Grasslands, deserts, etc.

We also made a collage type box for one of the crafts with flowers, birds and bees. So if you choose to do that craft, hold on to any gardening or seed catalogs you may have.

* We got them at the used bookstore for 5 or 10 cents each.

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:04 am

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 pm

We have used the magazine from Voice of the Martyrs, as well as their weekly prayer emails more than we have used other mags. You can receive this magazine as well as the prayer updates for free, you just have to sign up on their website: http://www.persecution.com

They also have a kid's website: http://www.KidsOfCourage.com

We found some WONDERFUL resources on the kid's site as we were learning about some of the different religions of the world. There are charts which break down the basic differences between Christianity & Islam, Buddhism, etc., and they're written in small blurbs that are easier for children to understand (though I still had to explain a bit).

The pictures that come in the magazine are so precious to me because they are CURRENT in regards to the persecuted church of TODAY. And when we read the prayer updates I can say, "this happened just 3 days ago in China..." I do look ahead before I put the mags in our book basket as some of the photos are of people who bear the scars of torture. I do not keep my children from seeing these, but I do like to talk to them so they won't be afraid.

Anyway, I realize I'm gushing...it's just been a great resource for continuing to learn about praying for the world. And on the geography end, we find the country we're talking about on our map. While you don't get the spectacular nature photos you would get in National Geographic, you get spectacular photos of humanity.

Sorry if I hijacked... ;)

Omma

Unread post by Omma » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 am

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:18 pm

I was just in the eye doctor's office today and I noticed they had Nat'l Geographic magazines displayed for patients to read in the waiting room. I inquired about it, and am now signed up to get all their old Nat'l Geographics as they have just been throwing them out when the new ones come in! Isn't that great? This might give some ideas to others... it can't hurt to ask!

:)
Brenda

cbollin

ECC--Using Nat'l Geographic pictures

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 27, 2010 5:59 am

Poohbee wrote:Hi!
We're just finishing up the current school year, but I am already reading through my ECC manual to start getting ready for the next school year. I see that we are to save National Geographic or other magazines with international pictures in them. I looked in the ECC archives and found a discussion about where and how to find National Geographic magazines or other pictures. However, there wasn't much information about what the pictures are used for. Could those of you who have used ECC please tell me what you used the pictures for, when you used them, and how often you used them? I'm just trying to get an idea how many pictures I should try to save.
Thanks!
There is a picture poster project at the beginning of the year. (1st edition did)

then, there will be times in the World Geography book that you have the option of making a collage of traditional clothing.

and there were times that Nat'l Geo was in book basket to have more pictures.

I think I had about 10 magazines total. I know I randomly picked them up and ended up with coverage of all continents.

Another use might come in with the Prop of Eco notebooking - so in addition to saving pics of people, clothing, make sure you save some of landscape.

i'm sure there were others.

-crystal

sojen

Re: ECC--Using Nat'l Geographic pictures

Unread post by sojen » Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 am

We used ours a couple of times near the start of the year for the collage poster and a matching game from Properties of Ecosystems. I think we maybe used them one other time this year. I asked a couple friends if they knew where I could find them and someone handed me a stack. She said they were collecting dust in their garage. Also, I often see them at the thrift store, but not in August or September(teachers buying them) so if you see them grab them now. I would say you need maybe 4-5 to get variety.

My daughter also printed some pictures of animals from the internet for posters, projects and such.
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu May 27, 2010 10:22 am

we couldn't get our hands on Nat'l Geo. I printed out some pictures of children from our VOM kids stuff and dd cut them up for her John 3:16 poster. That is the only one I remember us using it for. If you can't get a hold of any don't worry too much. You can use some other pictures. Personally, it was easier to print color pictures that I approved of rather than to have to filter the Nat'l Geo pictures and store them somewhere.

:)
Edie

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Thu May 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Didn't use Nat. Geo magazines for the poster but used other photos found online.

One thing we did in ECC-- I would google China photographs, or India photographs--etc. and print off some photos from each country we studied. The kids each made "title pages" on card stock for the countries we studied. They wrote the country name in big colorful letters on the page, and cut and glued the photos to fit. We also found some "country stickers" that they used to add to their "title pages." Then we filed them in the notebook. These "title pages" made the ECC notebook very colorful and easy to separate out the countries. On the back of this page, I would glue any photos of art projects we did for that country.
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Irmi, I LOVE your ideas for the notebook divider pages! We like notebooks at our house, and it's always nice to have a clear layout.

I can only remember the John 3:16 poster and the Africa collage. But we didn't do a ton of the art projects, so maybe more were in there? I would think a missionary magazine might be enough, if that's something you have.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate it! I actually have quite a stack of Nat'l Geographic I have been hanging onto for a long time. I also found some old Time for Kids issues that I used when I was a PS teacher, and they have some international pictures, too. Of course, the Internet would probably be the easiest. So, I think I have more than enough pictures. :-)

Irmi, thanks so much for the idea for the page dividers! That sounds great! I think we'll plan to do that!

Thanks again, everyone!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy