Missionary Bios - Questions, Testimonies, & can we add m

LSH in MS

Re: ECC Africa Alternate Missionary Story

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Also about David Livingstone, I do not like him either. We read the book anyway because of his accomplishments in exploration. Also as a discussion in our family about how God can accomplish His work even when his servants have serious flaws. This is very comforting to me. We also discussed what was wrong and what we should avoid in our lives.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 am

I'll just say to check YWAm's full list. Or if there is a missionary in your church who serves somewhere in Africa -- get their life story (warts and all) and pray for them, and try to be on their prayer list and things like that.

Beauty of homeschooling -- we tweak where it is needed.

I'm writing this more to the unknown person who hasn't read the book and wondering -- what's the deal here? what serious flaws does this guy have? (was he a murderer like Moses? what?) what is MFW wanting me to read? I know if I were new to MFW, I'd want some information here.

for that person wondering-- basically in this book, you'll find that the missionaries didn't get along with each other and didn't share goals. This caused lots of problems. LIvingstone veered from his original plan to remain single his whole life. He married and has kids. But, Livingstone didn't take his family on all missions trips. The 1800's were different than 2010. Since it was in the 1800's, he was gone for long stretches of time. years at a time. This is a hard paradigm shift for 21st century american homeschoolers (well, unless you ask a military family whose dad is deployed for years at a time. and then remember than in 1800's they didn't have internet....)

so - that's the "big picture issues" that create the struggle to find something else or what to tell your kids when reading the book.

Here are my reasons for using the Livingstone book.
I used the book. Liked it.

Very glad MFW is willing to select missionary books that show the struggles and flaws of missions groups/people. Missionaries aren't perfect. They are just like the people in the Bible who were "heroes" (ever read Heb. 11? maybe I can just substitute another book because I don't like those servants of yours in that Hebrews chapter?) ever feel that way? Of course we do, or this conversation wouldn't happen every year over here. We homeschool. And that ends up affecting how we see so many things in this biography. But we forget to look at these biographies through God's eyes too.

We took extra notice of p. 116 when he began to "reconsider his original plan to stay single the rest of his life". We talked about the negative pressure influences of the in-laws. blah. We talk about how it's interesting that these days it is easier to take family on missions. It wasn't easy back then. So without the pioneering efforts of Livingstone wanting to take the gospel into new territory.....

I'd rather my kids hear this book and see the realities of Christian in-bickering on the mission field, and the impact of changing original plans. in fact, because we had read Livingstone and seen how changing his original plan -- we were able to better pray for a missionary we support when she was considering marriage last year. So, this book had some good influence on us to be able to pray with that missionary when she was asking for prayer about it. anyway.

Looking ahead in MFW biographies in later years... there is a compare/contrast later in the MFW programs with William Carey and his wife/children. and the struggle with the mental illness his first wife had after the death of children. then the talk will be on changes in treatment in mental illness and depression and how odd it was that William Carey did take his family with him. He and Livingstone were around in the 1800's and their lives overlapped several years. So that's an interesting thing to note too.

Hope that helps someone to see the unseen and make the best fit choice in their family.
-crystal

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 am

Thank you for your comments, Crystal. I couldn't help but think about how many Bible "heroes" we would skip reading about if they weren't in the Bible. David and Bathsheba? Judah and Tamar? Jacob's sons and the rape of Dinah? Okay, those are all sexual sins, but I certainly wouldn't want to expose my 3rd grader to that, except, well, God commands me to teach my children about it. And so we insulate and explain and avoid certain words/topics. I'm happy to know that a Christian hero doesn't mean perfect.
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:47 am

I wanted to say something along those lines but....well I couldn't figure out exactly how to put it. I don't always agree with all the choices people we read about made either, but then again, hindsight is 20/20 and how do I know I wouldn't make some of those same decisions when faced with those particular circumstances? I have enjoyed all of the missionary stories, character flaws and all and they have all contributed in some way to furthering the kingdom for Christ.

Missionary life has changed a ton in the last couple hundred years. While reading Lottie Moon, I learned that the IMB used to require their missionaries to sign on "for life" with no furloughs. They were required to move to whatever foreign country they signed on for and stay their until they died. Wow--think of how tough that would be, especially in that age without the technology we have now.

I got off on a tangent, but I just wanted to say that whichever book you choose to use, you will learn something about missionary life, the country they are in and how God uses the less than perfect (oh, thank you Jesus) people to further His kingdom. I am grateful to be able to have the choice to either leave out something, substitute something or leave it as is as I believe is best for my children.
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 am

mamacastle2 wrote:Thank you for your comments, Crystal. I couldn't help but think about how many Bible "heroes" we would skip reading about if they weren't in the Bible. David and Bathsheba? Judah and Tamar? Jacob's sons and the rape of Dinah? Okay, those are all sexual sins, but I certainly wouldn't want to expose my 3rd grader to that, except, well, God commands me to teach my children about it. And so we insulate and explain and avoid certain words/topics. I'm happy to know that a Christian hero doesn't mean perfect.
Yes and Samson too, yet he is mentioned in Heb 11. God lets us see into their lives for a reason. How would our lives look if it were written down for all to see?
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

sixtimemom

Unread post by sixtimemom » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 am

Thanks Crystal...It's good to clarify those things for someone who has not read David Livingstone.

My personal opinion is......If you haven't read David Livingstone then you should. I totally understand why MFW suggests it for read a loud. David was also an explorer and you learn a lot about Africa. Yes, he had flaws...but who doesn't. Some of my children are older so they were very opinionated about some things when reading this book, and we had some great discussions.

However, this was not a book I or my children wanted to read again, so we chose to read about another missionary from Africa. I appreciate MFW's recommendations and I am thankful for the flexibility in being able to substitute also.
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

sixtimemom

Re: which missionary stories to use?

Unread post by sixtimemom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:04 am

cbollin wrote:Part of using biographies is to inspire my child that they can grow up to do stuff.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 328#p60324
Just wanted to chime in that this ^^^^ is why I too love to read biographies to my children. I've read many, many books and I am very partial to the YWAM biographies. I always get excited when they have new ones available.

And not only do I like them....my children do as well. The YWAM books have always been read aloud books in our home and we've had many wonderful discussions. I always enjoy hearing my children talk about their favorite missionaries or refer to them when we are talking about something else. I never heard of many of these men and women until I started reading these biographies to my own children. And now some of them feel like friends. We talk about how we will get to meet them one day [in heaven] and I know I will be thanking them for their "testimony". There have been times when my faith has been made stronger by remembering what some of the missionaries were up against and how God met their needs. I know if God can and did meet their needs, He will meet mine also. And that's what I like my children to see...God at work in people who trusted him.
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

cbollin

Not feeling Heros then and now series...

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote:Not feeling Heros then and now series... And its making me sad. My favorite time of the day is Read Alouds in the afternoon. We are on chapter 8 and we arent liking these stories. Luckily we have a ton of books to just pick up and read.. Tell me the read alouds are more interesting in later years..
Is it just the Cam Townsend book that you aren't liking?
Joyhomeschool wrote:How did you know! Yes and we read George Muller with SL core 1 the year before last and well..we didnt finish it either.. Im hoping its the childrens ages and that when DSs are in 7th and 6th grades they will enjoy them more. I mean I sorta like them but the kids are uninterested.
heee hee.. how did I know... because. I thought Cam's story had long sections that I didn't enjoy reading out loud the first time. I mean, he doesn't have these fun adventures or stuff like that. But then again, I realized some parts read like a blog of someone I needed to care about first before enjoying the silliness of it.

so, there were times I'd summarize some of it. One of the things that really stood out to me in the story was the role that Cam had in the whole process of Bible translation. And then some of the stories where Cam gets to meet mayors and important people....

Maybe a few extra activities to get into Bible translation in general would be more helpful to gain some interest in wanting to know Cam. I know a few section of the book made me nod off. But the power of what ended up happening in our family with seeing that founding father (so to speak) of Bible translation. Let me think.... What about some out loud reading from the missions newsletters on MFW's page to see how other organizations were impacted by this guy without the adventure story http://www.mfwbooks.com/missions.htm

and maybe.. hmm... I wonder if some of the one verse stuff has something interesting.. hmmm...

Anyway.... I loved Nate Saint book and cried.
I loved Gladys Aylward story and cried.
Amy Carmichael: I cried.
Livingstone: that one can be "controversial".
Muller -- my dh read that out loud.

other read alouds: Kingdom Tales?
or you could drop the missionary stories if you wanted and select novels from book basket.
Joyhomeschool wrote:Neither DH or I could get into reading Kingdom tales.
I'm sorry to hear that. It was a big hit over here. I remember one night I had finished the chapter and my girls really wanted the next chapter. So they read out loud to me and took turns. It was a hit over here.

Maybe some of the longer chapter stories in book basket would work better just to have some fun out loud reading time together?

(((hugs))) that it's not as much fun for you as it has been for me.
Joyhomeschool wrote:Maybe I just need to have a bit more "stick to it ativeness" LOL. I might enjoy it more if I press on. I am a bit disappointed but I also promised DH I'd make MFW work from here on out no matter what. ;)
remember though.... deluxe read alouds are "extras" above the basic package.
So even if you don't use them and just use basic package, and enjoy book basket --- you are making "mfw work" for you.

then you can read classics in children's literature that you do like. And then ask God to open up missions stories for your family that will click with them. It could even be people who are alive now and serving and have connections to your church or something.

you're doing fine.

jasntas

Re: Not feeling Heros then and now series...

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote:Neither DH or I could get into reading Kingdom tales.
WOW!! We only finished the second chapter of Kingdom Tales and my dc are hanging on every word. I do ham it up, though and they think it's funny when I do that.

That just goes to show that every family is different. :-) Just like each of us is unique and different. ;) The way God made us. :-)

We haven’t started the Then and Now series but I am prepared in the case that these don’t work with my dc due to their ages. I got the Hero’s for Young Readers series. They are easy read, watered down versions. My library has many of them through interlibrary loan but I got lucky and stumbled upon an awesome deal for the first 3 sets. Anyway, The Young Readers version may be the way to go if you still wanted to introduce your dc to these missionaries but in small bites. Just an idea. :)

I hope you find some books that work for your family. As Crystal stated, you are doing fine. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 pm

Just googled the heros for young readers. Wow what a gem! I think I'll be getting those!
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

netpea

Unread post by netpea » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:13 pm

we haven't read any of the other ones yet, but my kids loved the one about Gladys Aylward at 9 and 7.
- Lee Ann
Using ECC for 2010/2011 with a 3rd and 5th grader

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote:And its making me sad. My favorite time of the day is Read Alouds in the afternoon. But we arent liking these stories. Luckily we have a ton of books to just pick up and read.. Tell me the read alouds are more interesting in later years..
If you've only started one so far, then you aren't not liking "all the stories" but only "the first story." Believe me, the others are more exciting.

But excitement isn't the only thing going on. I read Cameron to a 3rd grader and yes, it was slow. There were some exciting events like the earthquake, but really Cameron's contribution to the world was Bible translation schools, which aren't as exciting as George Mueller's huge orphanages or Nate Saint's transforming an entire population.

But to me, the intro to Bible translation was a central point of ECC. I'm glad we spent the time on it, even if it wasn't full of excitement. Especially to see that a huge movement all started with one man telling Cameron that God doesn't speak his language.

And to reassure me that making it through Cameron was the right thing to do, my son made a small comment after we had finished the book. We were reading about someone who had met Cameron. Instead of yawning, my son said, "WOW!" and something to the effect of how great it would be to meet him. I realized at that point that my ds's idea of a hero had taken a major turn. It was a new beginning, of sorts, in my thinking about his influences.

So for those of you who decide to continue, you may not regret it!
julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:18 am

I'm glad you started this topic. We have the same problem - we are bogged down in the Cam Townsend book, about chapter 10 I think. I've enjoyed the story although it's wordy.

I am more than impressed by the determination that Cam showed and how persistent he was in translation efforts. I remind my dd how important Bible translation is, how WE wouldn't have our Bibles without Bible translation. So, maybe we will go forward and finish the book after all. And we will look forward to some of the other titles.

I really liked Julie's comments about her son. Thank you for sharing that. It was very encouraging!

BTW, seems we read the Young Reader series of Amy Carmichael a year or two ago and it was more of a poem than a storybook.
Meleasa
P.S. We LOVE Kingdom Tales
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

Poohbee

Blessed by Cam Townsend's story!

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:39 pm

We just finished reading Cameron Townsend's biography today, and I can't tell you how blessed my dd and I were by that story! We both loved it! I remember reading a thread a few months ago which mentioned that a few people thought Cameron Townsend was kind of dry and not very exciting. I was a bit apprehensive as we began reading the book. But, it didn't take long for my dd and I to get caught up in the story. We both looked forward to reading it each day. We loved learning about Bible translation and about Cam's determination and the adventures he had as he followed God's calling to see that the Bible was translated for people groups who didn't have a written language of their own. After finishing the book, I showed my dd the brochure MFW sent for God's World for the Nations. Sure enough, one of the ministries GWN supports is Wycliffe Bible Translators/SIL. My dd thought that was pretty neat, since we had just read about how that organization was founded. Bible translation is now on my heart, and we are praying about how God would have us support Bible translation. Just wanted to share what a blessing Cameron Townsend's story was to us!

Also, I told my dd that some other people thought Cam's story was not very exciting, but the next one coming up, Nate Saint, is very exciting. She said, "Wow, Mom! If we like Cam Townsend this much, just think of how exciting Nate Saint will be?" She can't wait to start Nate Saint on Monday! How completely wonderful to have my child be so excited about missionary stories!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

cbollin

Re: Blessed by Cam Townsend's story!

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Poohbee wrote:Bible translation is now on my heart, and we are praying about how God would have us support Bible translation.
Have you seen the new website for GWN?
http://www.gwftn.org/

As you continue to pray what role God has in mind for your family, there are prayer list and needs on the GWN site for specific people groups.
http://www.gwftn.org/#prayer
And GWN's link to Wycliffe and Pioneer Bible Translators as well.
check out the God Speaks my language section,
as well as the Be Involved section.

once Bible translation gets in your heart, Jen, it stays there. and changes you. keep praying and watch as God opens the opportunities for your family. I would have never guessed the things my family did to find funds to pay for printing costs of a certain translation to have its first New Testament in their heart language.

-crystal

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 pm

We finished Cam a couple of weeks ago. Our whole family loved it. I was a bit worried my kids, esp. my younger, would be bored with it after the previous thread as well. But both dc were actually sad when the book ended.

We have been enjoying Nate Saint as well and I love how the stories actually overlap a bit. Cam was even mentioned in today's reading. My only problem with this one is that I know the outcome and have a hard time not tearing up when I can foresee what is to come.

I plan to get the documentary 'Through Gates of Splendor' released in 1967 available through Netflix. It's not rated so my dh and I are going to preview it first (It's 35 min.) to see if it's appropriate before showing it to the kids. I also plan to request 'End of the Spear' and 'Beyond the Gates of Splendor' but for my dh and I to watch. They are both rated PG-13.

Now that I've found my groove with ECC it has been going great. We are loving the missionary stories. My ds has already slightly changed his future occupation from pastor to missionary. The only problem is that he thinks as a missionary he would get to 'travel' the world as Cam did near the end of his long career. Kids are funny.

Crystal reminded me of when we read the story about William & Catherine Booth, Founders of the Salvation Army. The same day we read their story, in the mail we got, would you believe, a request from the Salvation Army for funds for Thanksgiving dinner. My ds did not hesitate to fork over his newly aquired monthly allowance and convinced his sis to contribute as well. I also contributed and we sent it off immediately. He also requested that we pray over the envelope before sending it and that we send along a note to let them know we were praying. It was an awesome moment!

What a powerful impact MFW is having on our family!!

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:30 am

Don't you love it when the kids get a heart for spreading God's word and sharing their blessings with others? Makes a momma proud!

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Jen, I read this yesterday and was too choked-up to really answer. I think I still am. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Tammie, I had to read "Gates of Splendor" for English lit when I was in the 5th grade and it hit me so hard. I wonder what the documentary is like? We are finishing up Norway now, and still haven't finished Nate Saint . . . I'm really dragging my feet. I explained the whole story to my dd before even starting the book, so she knows what is going to happen, but having to read it aloud to her freaks me out. *sigh* I'm so overprotective. She decided a couple of years ago that she really wants to be a missionary and I know that she will at least go on many mission trips - it runs in my family. I just don't want to frighten her. Pray for us.

There are so many good books to read during ECC. My dd already has such a heart for missions and loves to pray for the people groups that we are studying.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:22 am

Jen,
Thanks for this uplifting post. Can was really the beginning of a wonderful journey for us, too. I am sure many people will be encouraged to read this!

Cyndi,
Be sure to use Marie's notes in the ECC manual to connect Nate's tragedy with the amazing good that followed. Don't skimp on the reality of the Auca culture before the tragedy, so you can see the glorious change. And there are lots of videos of the actual killer of Nate now, which might delight your dd, since he is so strong in the Lord that he actually scolds us Americans :) such as at end of the music video by Steven Curtis Chapman, "Live from 2002" has a trailer for the movie (Beyond the Gates), and he has the Auca man on stage. Also the end of the actual Beyond The Gates movie has the Auca man talking about going through a drive-thru window for the first time.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 am

We are *nearly* done with Cameron Townsend as well, and we have LOVED it too!! My 9 and 7 year olds have asked for it every day - they want the read aloud FIRST!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Cyndi (AZ)

ECC - finally finished "Nate Saint"

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Well, I finally read the last few chapters of Nate Saint to my dd this morning. I was really procrastinating . . . we started the book months ago. I vividly remember reading The Gates of Splendor in 5th grade and really didn't want to share the story with my sensitive little 8yo punkin'. I told her before we started the book at all that the main character was going to die, and so were some other missionaries, so she's known for months how the book would end. I bawled my head off and she thought I was crazy (as usual), but we got through it!!! Finally! I really appreciate the encouragement I received on the board to go through with it (especially Julie - thanks, Julie!) and Marie's notes in the TM truly help tell the rest of the amazing story of God's hand at work in such an intense situation. Tragic, but beautiful.

I am now appreciating my incredibly easy-by-comparison life with a yummy cup of coffee and a moment to myself on the computer.

rxmom

Re: ECC - finally finished "Nate Saint"

Unread post by rxmom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Glad to know I'm not the only one who bawled my eyes out--the kids handled it better than I ...That story really moved us, too. I'm very glad we read and discussed this as a family..

Delcey
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:I am now appreciating my incredibly easy-by-comparison life with a yummy cup of coffee and a moment to myself on the computer.
I can totally relate!

I'm glad you were able to get through it. It was such a powerful story.

My dh and I got so into the Nate Saint story that we watched every documentary we could find. Most would not have been appropriate for kids, particularly the ages of my 2 but we grown ups enjoyed them. If ‘enjoyed’ is the right term.

We were actually both disappointed with the movie The End of the Spear after watching all the 'true accounts' in the documentaries. You know, the liberties movie directors take. It was still really good but we would have enjoyed it much more I think, if we would have watched the movie first and then the documentaries. I was so moved by the story that I have started reading the book in the same series about Nate's sister, Rachel, called CHRISTIAN HEROES: THEN & NOW Rachel Saint: A Star in the Jungle.

We did have our dc watch The Jim Elliot Story: The Torchlighters Series DVD. And they watched parts of the interview with Steve Saint, Nate's son, that is included on this DVD. We previewed the movie before showing it to our dc and it is a little graphic for a cartoon but it was such a powerful message that we thought it was a great movie for them. For weeks after we, as a family, talked about this story and the effects that one event had on everyone that was involved.

I'm not sure how I would have felt about this story if I had read it myself in 5th grade. I can tell you that, as an adult, every time I watched one of the documentaries and when I finished the read aloud I cried my eyes out. The kids just did their standard roll of the eyes and said, “M-o-o-o-m!” Their version of, “Come on Mom, pull it together.”

We also watched The Richard Wurmbrand Story in The Torchlighters Series as well as others in the series where we can fit them in. That story really came to life for my dc today when my dh received an e-mail request for prayer from our denominational leaders for 70 Christians that were arrested for their faith in Iran over the Christmas holiday and are still being held against their will. My ds immediately related this event to The Richard Wurmbrand Story. This story is not scheduled in ECC but was a good addition when we were 'in' Norway. The setting is actually 1945 during WWII in war-torn Romania. He was placed under arrest and tortured for his faith.

I could go on but just wanted to say, in all of my ramblings, that the missionary/Christian stories in ECC have been very powerful and life changing experiences for our whole family. We have been doing more and more for others and becoming less and less self centered. All of us.

Enjoy your "incredibly easy-by-comparison life". I know I have had a different perspective on my cushy, spoiled life as well. :)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 pm

I think it was my very unprepared reading of it in 5th grade that frightened me. Someone should tell a 10yo upfront that there is going to be a massacre in their lit book, don't you think? I just don't agree with handing over Splendor to a 5th grade girl. I really appreciated the way the story was told in Nate Saint.

While I was reading the TM's notes to my dd, she said something (I can't quote it) about why was I crying over those men dying? JESUS is the one that died for me, just like He died for those Aucas. I was so choked-up I could hardly talk. I still can't put my thoughts into coherent words. It is just an incredibly touching story about an amazingly provential God and people that were willing to yield to Him.

It really does make one want to DO something about it. I'm glad that I finally read it to my dd.

momsflowergarden

Unread post by momsflowergarden » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

jasntas wrote: I can totally relate! I can tell you that, as an adult, every time I watched one of the documentaries and when I finished the read aloud I cried my eyes out. The kids just did their standard roll of the eyes and said, “M-o-o-o-m!” Their version of, “Come on Mom, pull it together.”
I just had to chuckle with this. Some of you may have seen my post about God Speaks Numanggang yesterday. I cried and cried and...... My dd got me Kleenex and patted me on the back telling me it would be ok. After a few minutes my ds who is simply ready to get on with the day says, "Enough tears even already!" No compassion from him. ;)
I am looking forward to starting this series but I know I will have to make a trip to Sam's to stock up on the tissues. :-)
Be Blessed
Sandy
Mom of 5
Homeschooler of 2, ds 10 and dd 11
Using CLE Math, Calculadders, PLL/ILL, Rod and Staff spelling, AND MFW ECC for History, Science and Bible.