Missionary Bios - Questions, Testimonies, & can we add m

Julie in MN

Re: ECC - finally finished "Nate Saint"

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 am

Cyndi (AZ) wrote: I really appreciate the encouragement I received on the board to go through with it (especially Julie - thanks, Julie!) and Marie's notes in the TM truly help tell the rest of the amazing story of God's hand at work in such an intense situation.
You're welcome, Cyndi, you've made me very happy :) It's Marie's notes really that make this happen -- knowing the outcome hand-in-hand with the tragedy. The opposite of your 5th grade experience!
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:While I was reading the TM's notes to my dd, she said something (I can't quote it) about why was I crying over those men dying? JESUS is the one that died for me, just like He died for those Aucas. I was so choked-up I could hardly talk. I still can't put my thoughts into coherent words. It is just an incredibly touching story about an amazingly provential God and people that were willing to yield to Him.

It really does make one want to DO something about it. I'm glad that I finally read it to my dd.
Your dd is precious! Words of wisdom to remember.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

annaz

ECC Wk 6 completed

Unread post by annaz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 am

Julie in MN wrote:
annaz wrote:I would like to know which books some of you think are just not "missable". We did complete KT up to this point, but it looks like I'll have to pick and choose, because sometimes I just poop out. Ah...the pitfalls of being an old parent. :-)
I may be biased, since I did ECC before it had KT, but I feel Cameron was an important book to set the stage for Bible translation into "heart languages." And each of the YWAM books was special at our house.

You know, if you don't complete KT this year, it's still a good book to keep on hand and finish in CTG or RTR. It kinda relates to RTR, I suppose, as far as kings go. But to CTG, as well. I think there may be some time in between read-alouds during those years.
Okay, so we'll continue on with Cameron. We into about Chapter 4, but that's pretty far behind. I could have dd read it herself, because she reads all the time, but I have a feeling it's a tiny bit more than she can grasp unless I'm there reading. It's good so far and I'd like to finish it, but it'll be at the expense of another book.

KT goes without saying...She stole it from me and re-read the first set of stories again.

davimee

What ages should I wait for to do ECC

Unread post by davimee » Sun May 01, 2011 12:11 am

gratitude wrote:1. What ages should I wait for to do ECC. My oldest is sensitive to those in books who are intent on harming others; which I realize can show up in missionary stories. They are currently in K & 1st (next year 2nd & 1st). Do you think 1 1/2 years from now they could enjoy it for 3rd and 2nd, with a K & pre-K tagging along?

2. What ages do you find children are able to handle the older age versions of missionary stories, such as are in ECC. I think they actually say for youth on them, but I have read some of them and I think of them as geared for older readers (well certainly older than my 7 year old). :)

3. What ages did you start reading missionary stories to your children, and how did they do? We have read some to our children. We have some of the young reader hero books. We have read some others; with heavy editing.
My oldest read Gladys Aylward in second grade (she was 7 or 8 ), and she loved it! I also read Hero Tales to her in Kindergarten, but she wasn't as interested in that one at the time. We read George Mueller in 1st grade, and that was interesting, but Gladys Aylward was her favorite. She's not that sensitive, though. My younger daughter hasn't yet read any of those books, but we'll do them this year when we do ECC. She's 7. But she's really sensitive to things and has a hard time anytime someone is in danger. I usually hold her when we read tough stories (one of her favorite books this year was Missionary Stories with the Millers [in a different curriculum], but some of the stories were really hard for her, like Nate Saint.), and sometimes I'll pause for a bit and talk to her about it, and make sure she's ok. But she's my sensitive child - sometimes she gets scared watching Little House on the Prairie if someone gets real sick or hurt. :) Since I haven't done ECC yet I can't comment on the rest of the curriculum, but those are the three books I'm familiar with. Hopefully someone else can better answer your question. :)
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

Julie in MN

Re: What ages should I wait for to do ECC

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun May 01, 2011 12:36 am

Gratitude,
I probably should know this already, but I'm kinda confused if you have a K and a 1st grader and did Adventures. It wouldn't surprise me that maybe they'll be young for ECC?

My ds really was blessed by the ECC biographies in 3rd grade. Marie's lesson plans lead kids through the book of Matthew first, and praying for the world, and really having a heart for the world. Then she introduces kids to a very long-lived, fairly tranquil missionary, Cameron, who was basically the first guy to realize how important it was to get the Bible into even the smallest "heart language." After that is the exciting but tragic story of Nate Saint, which is very carefully presented alongside the amazing good that was done for the Auca people by God.

However, I'm not sure about a rising 2nd grader, if that's what you have. Maybe those with younger siblings in 2nd will chime in on the missionary bios. Oh, and here's a thread with younger sib experiences:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5077
Julie

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun May 01, 2011 6:25 am

Hello! I agree with Julie that your oldest child may still be on the "young" side for ECC. We did not do Adventures until my oldest was in 2nd and then ECC when he was in 3rd. My younger child enjoyed a lot of those programs, but being two years younger some of the read alouds are not as appropriate for her. Even this year in CtG she did not really want to persevere through The Children's Homer like he did, but he is more into the action/adventure type of stories.

For ECC we did not read every missionary story, but we did complete Nate Saint and it was hard, but worth it. The kids both saw a true picture of sacrifice and how God blessed that! My children are more on the sensitive side and Marie's extra notes and information really helped in explaining everything to them. We all really enjoyed "traveling around the world" in ECC! Having different countries to study was fun. My younger daughter said the other day that she misses pretending to travel somewhere by plane, train, submarine, etc. So she made her own pretend plane and was "flying" me to places around the world!

Since you have already done Adventures about a year before it is recommended, I would probably call the MFW office and see how they suggest proceeding with the curriculum. I just don't have a better suggestion!

:)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 am

I feel some rambling coming on . . . sorry.

My dd did ADV when she was 6/7yo because I had started her in MFWK a year "early." She was ready - it was all good. We *loved* ADV! The beginning was much more engaging than the state studies, but we did a lot of stuff that made that fun, too.

I planned on doing ECC with her the following year and did, in fact, start it and complete the first 8 weeks. Then we packed it up to move across the country and it just didn't fit our life to unpack it. I had the same concerns as you about my dd being too sensitive for the Missionary biographies, and at that age, I really do believe she would have been too young for them. We had a "gap year." We decided to call her a 3rd grader for 2 years and just do whatever we felt like for a year before starting ECC again. She kept up on math and has always been very advanced in LA, plus we just had fun with different topics. Unschooling, I guess that's called. I'm still incredibly thankful for all the "private message" advice I received during that time.

So, this past fall we re-started ECC for my dd's true 3rd grade year at 8/9yo. She remembered far more than I thought she would and we had to rush through the beginning, but then we really started just enjoying it. Reading the Missionary biographies after she had matured a year was so much better. My dd is very, very sensitive and I warned her ahead of time when something "bad" was going to happen and it worked out fine. Actually, better than fine - they have been a wonderful blessing to us.

That's a little snapshot of our story. From personal experience I think you'll get much more out of ECC if you wait. By the way, I found ECC to be totally and completely different than ADV. Same style grid, etc., but it is definitely written to an older student and has a different feel to it.

That's *my* story with an only child, so not quite the same decision you are facing. Hope it helps and doesn't muddy the waters more.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun May 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Mallorie wrote:SO, reading these types of threads make me wonder. I plan to do ECC this fall, my kids will be in 8th, 5th and 2nd. Will this not work for my 2nd grader? I read that people do not recommend a separate program for the youngest, but is there anything I can do to make it more interesting for my youngest? I worry about her being bored through it.
Mallorie,
I think of it like a family trip to Disney World. I would tell a family with just a 2yo to not go right now and wait. I mean, some people do go with a 2yo because the child is ready or the parents are so excited. But for the cost, I would personally recommend that the 2yo child won't like the long lines, won't remember much about it, and really would rather be home doing 2yo stuff.

However, I would recommend that a family with a 2yo, a 5yo, and an 8yo would have lots of fun going to DW together. I wouldn't recommend they leave the 2yo home or take a separate vacation with the 2yo just because DW is not primarily for 2yos. There's something of value in all going as a family together. And the "family memories" will keep it alive for the 2yo so she doesn't forget as much.

But I might recommend making sure that you make extra stops with some 2yo things on the trip, like climbing on the treehouse or stepping on the water fountains, and spend even longer there than the older kids normally would. And on the other hand, I think the older siblings will help the 2yo get more out of the non-2yo stuff, including making the long lines go faster and be more interesting by sharing their kids' eye view.

Julie

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 am

Julie in MN wrote:I probably should know this already, but I'm kinda confused if you have a K and a 1st grader and did Adventures. It wouldn't surprise me that those ages weren't the perfect ages for Adventures? And that maybe they'll be young for ECC?
Hi Julie,
I started MFW 1 half way through my oldest K year, age 6. He finished it half way through first grade, age 7. This put us starting ADV half way through first grade. I was still doing MFW K with my second child until he finished it last month.

You are correct that 1st wasn't the perfect age for ADV. I just read the new criteria on the MFW board. He reads very well. Much higher than 2nd grade. However, he can not write one or two sentences cheerfully. Dictate, but not write. He also can not do school for 3 1/2 hours a day. So in answer to the readiness questions he has about half of them yes and half no. It is probably why the read-aloud & time-line & Bible were a huge success and the notebook, state sheets, etc. didn't go as well. I have also been doing more with spelling with him, and started working more on handwriting; so I think it ended up feeling like a lot for us. In hind sight I wish I had waited to do it until fall; but then he really did enjoy the books immensely and learned a lot from them.
Cyndi (AZ) wrote: I think you'll get much more out of ECC if you wait.
This is really helpful! I do have something for my gap year, and then I was having one of those weeks in home schooling where I needed a little boost and was missing the things I love about MFW. I often start thinking about two year plans for a boost; somehow it re-energizes me. This led me to think, "what are we doing sometime 6 - 12 months from now?" It made me think of ECC and the fact I still have a lot of interest in it. I think we could really benefit as a family from it as long as I choose the right timing. I really appreciate your experience in waiting. I do think next fall would be too soon for 2nd grade. I think the ADV material was fine at age 7, but other parts - like writing - he wasn't ready for. He reads very well, but he still needs to become comfortable with handwriting so that it isn't difficult for him. Overall though ADV was much more work and a jump of level of work than he was truly ready for. Except for the reading & books read to him. As I write this I am actually starting to make some sense in my head of perhaps what he is needing in school. Thank you for listening!

Blessings,
Carin

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 am

Julie in MN wrote:
gratitude wrote: However, he can not write one or two sentences cheerfully.
Oooh, I'm not sure my ds is ready for Adventures yet, then ?? :~ He's 15; wonder how long it'll be ?? !!
8[] Julie, I just love you! It's so good to laugh in the morning.
gratitude wrote:As I write this I am actually starting to make some sense in my head of perhaps what he is needing in school. Thank you for listening!
This boards is such a great place to come think out loud. I hope you're feeling peacefully energized now. :-)

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Julie in MN wrote:
gratitude wrote: However, he can not write one or two sentences cheerfully.
Oooh, I'm not sure my ds is ready for Adventures yet, then ?? :~ He's 15; wonder how long it'll be ?? !!
8[] 8[] 8[]

Thank you for a good laugh this morning Julie!!

MFW published the criteria for ADV readiness with the new catalogue this winter. It wasn't out when I purchased ADV last summer. Thank you for the laugh over handwriting!!!

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon May 02, 2011 1:17 pm

I thought writing cheerfully must be an oxymoron in our house! Actually, dd does much better these days. Maybe they don't smile, and sometimes they complain, but they do write most of the time without tears these days. Must be a boy thing!

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue May 03, 2011 4:12 pm

I had another thought for this thread after all the great support I have received on the other thread. Maybe I should try ADV again next year for 2nd grade when he is more ready for it, and then try ECC the following year with a 3rd and 2nd grader. We need to take home schooling slower than we have been in order to have success and not miss all the reasons we choose to do this in the first place. Most of all though I think I need to slow home schooling down this spring & summer, and that it will be a very good thing for all of us. Focus on the innocence and books and my second ds learning to read, etc..etc..etc.

jasntas

YWAM Publishing Christian Heros Then and Now Audiobooks

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 pm

I just found out that YWAM Publishing has started releasing audiobooks of some of their "Christian Heros Then and Now" series. This is great news for us because both my kids are dyslexic and really struggle with reading but love these stories.

I thought I would share in case someone else might be interested. Three of the four currently available are read alouds used during ECC. This might be a good alternative to give 'mom' a reading break from time to time. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

TriciaMR

Missionary biographies

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 am

hsm wrote:We are trudging through Cameron Townsend and are way behind. We are about to finish Canada and are barely half way through the book. Even though I see the purpose in reading this book (to see the importance of bible translation), it is drudgery for us, I hate to say it, but we are bored. Does it get more interesting as we continue the book?

Are all the biographies like this one? I love the missionary focus, just bored with our first experience with a missionary biography. I have 3rd and 6th graders if that helps. Thanks!
There are "slow stretches" in all the biographies. Nate Saint is much more exciting if you want to jump to his biography. Come back to Cameron Townsend over the summer where you can read it slower or something. My kids enjoy them...
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gentlestrengths

Re: Missionary biographies

Unread post by gentlestrengths » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 am

I enjoy the biographies. Although, I am not so sure that my children enjoy them as much as I do.... I have a 12 year old, 10 year old and 8 year old doing them. My 8yo (almost 9 really) doesn't pay attention well, but he'll do this again before high school, so I am not terribly bothered by his in/out listening skills.

I read with interest, use lots of inflection, and ask questions and admit amazement out loud at times - we discuss the book as we are reading: "can you believe that his sister did that for him?? Can you imagine if Jenna worked a job, and lost a fiancé all to let you go to college??? What amazing love they showed for their family member!" Stuff like that - because it IS amazing! That helps them see it on a level that hits closer to home I think. That it is a real story - about real people...that they, too, can have good character, make mistakes, do good, keep trying, etc. And it keeps us all more interested.
hsm wrote:We are trudging through Cameron Townsend and are way behind. We are about to finish Canada and are barely half way through the book.
Also - try to just do each chapter a day - because it is much easier to do one little chapter, than to feel behind, and have 6 chapters to catch up on! Bring it in the car when you're waiting... have the kids read a few pages each to you while you're preparing lunch/dinner/snacks..... Keep them involved in different ways. I have found that keeping it a consistent thing keeps their interest more than anything.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm

I'll be honest. Cameron Townsend is way more boring than the others - at least for us it was. My dd has reread George Mueller more times than I can count. Some of the books are intense enough that I skimmed or summarized parts. But Cam Townsend was boring. We read it strictly for the Bible translation focus, and I think I skipped a ton of it. There's a book in the history cycle that has a summary of his life that was more interesting to us later on.

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:17 am

Thank you for all the comments. I sure hope I didn't sound nitpicky (or worse). Thank you Cyndi for letting me know you found it to be the most dull of the bio's. And, gentlestrengths, those are some good tips. I do try to do those things but perhaps I need to do a better job at it. And, yes, it is overwhelming once you get behind and try to play catch up. At that point it becomes a chore. Lesson learned. Don't let myself get behind! :~ We are going to keep at it. We have the rest of the week before moving on to Nate Saint/Brazil and I think it can be done. I will just make it more of a priority.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes, Townsend was not as adventurous. Don't give up - Nate Saint is full of adventure.

Btw - When you finish Saint's biography, you may want to know what happened to the other men and to Nate's sister, Rachel Saint. We went to YWAM Publishers, and sure enough they have biographies on Jim Elliott, Elizabeth Elliott, Rachel Saint, and more.

I predict your son will really enjoy David Livingstone's biography when you study Africa. Surviving a lion attack in the wild jungle... Who doesn't love that? :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:08 am

Can't wait to start Nate Saint next week! Sounds exciting! Thanks for the tip on the YWAM bio's of his sister and the other men.

I may take Tricia's advice and work on Cameron over the summer during a slower time of year.
Lori-IL
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

hsm

Missionary biographies?

Unread post by hsm » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:54 pm

We love the missionary biographies! They have been an amazing blessing to our family. I really can't put into words the effect they have had on us...not to be melodramatic, but so true!

And we really love Kingdom Tales too! I have gotten chills reading it on several occasions!

Enjoy your year with ECC!
Lori-IL
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6