Exploring World Geography - What to expect for different ages

Kelly1730

Re: World Geography book in ECC...what grade level?

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:29 am

I also skipped most of them with my 8yo twins last year. We'll be doing ECC again in 7th grade so we'll do them then.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 am

I have no problem with skipping them! My 3rd grader will not be doing any of them. I'm sure she is capable, but there is plenty in ECC for her to do. My 4th grader (if I had one) might get one worksheet a unit that we would work on together. I would vary the types. I'm not even for sure if I care to have my 7th and 8th graders do the whole thing. I'll have to see when we get into it. That's just me, though.

Blessings,
Missy

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:01 am

SimplyKim wrote:Hello! This is our first year with MFW and I've been trying to figure out the same thing. We will be starting ECC first thing in the morning. I've got an eight year old fourth grader (she'll be nine soon) and a ten year old (will be eleven in a few months) fifth grader and I'm really not sure who I should plan on doing what. I'm so glad that you asked this question. I'll be watching and waiting for answers with you!

Here's to an exciting year!
Kim :)
All of that is explained in the manual as you come to it. I'd suggest re-reading the introduction section of the ECC manual. Then, when the World Geography book is first assigned (week 3), you'll find even more notes on it for this question.

As a general rule of thumb, 5th graders and up should complete most or all of the pages.
3rd and 4th may do some with adult help
2nd grader and under are not expected to do them.
You will determine how many and which pages your child completes for each continent

When I did ECC 2 years ago my 4th grader and I did most of the pages together. My 7th grader did them all and mostly on her own.

When my oldest was in 2nd grade and did ECC, she was interested in trying the book with my help, so we did them together as a learning time. We didn't do all pages for all continents that time. So, if you want to slowly add this book in, and not feel like all of it has to be done for each continent that's ok. Be sure to look at the helps and hints in the 2nd edition manual for how to do some of the types of pages (like Products/Resources page)

The goal of this research packet using World Geography is to gain information about each continent while learning how to use and cross reference materials.

-crystal

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 am

I don't have a lot of time this morning but just wanted to link to a specific answer that included my response to someone else about what we did with a 3rd grader in WG. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 560#p63560

I would encourage you not to skip it, but to use it as an addition resource rather than a "have to get done" item, KWIM?

Edie

lisaha

Unread post by lisaha » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm

WE are skipping it this year with my 4th grade 9 year old. I'm sure she could do it with help, but I won't have the time to give her the extra help and I do believe that ECC is very full without them for a 4th grader.

cbollin

Do you use World Geography?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 am

Mexmarr wrote:Do you use World Geography? And if so, at what ages? ECC says to purchase an additional one per 3rd-8th grader, but the book says 5th-8th grade. THere is a big difference between 3rd and 5th grade!

My oldest is still 7, and will be 8th in Nov. She did Adventures, and we are starting ECC, but I have not officially started calling her a 3rd grader.

Either way, I decided to put that book up till next time around. I think that she will get plenty of geography without it. And here writing is not up to a 3rd grade level. It will probably be a great addition next time.

I am wondering what others do and your thoughts about it.
I used it with grades 2 and 4 and 7

when oldest did ecc the first time, she was 2nd grade. I used it as a teaching tool -- not a "do your worksheet".

then we did ECC 5 years later... She was able to do the whole book on her own.
and I worked with my 4th grader to teach her valuable cross referencing skills. It was "let's do this together and explore how to cross reference between books to find out the answer to the clues"

I would not use that book in the first part of the year with the ages you have. You could try a page or two here and there when you reach South America or later. or not touch it at all.

But basically, I treated it like it was a teaching tool to learn how to look on map for coordinates, and how to find a city, and where some where located. Some pages were too hard for youngest ages. I wouldn't bother with the products and resource pages unless you go to the library and look up some of them in World Book --- look under the product name for a map :)

so for me, it was a time to teach reference skills. I know MFW says dont' do them below certain age... but we enjoyed the time to learn reference skills. I never saw it as "do your worksheet". some people do and it is dead boring to them.

If you did ADV and did state sheets..... there are some pages in World Geography that can be done in similar fashion.

But you only need one copy for the ages you have. Do not think it has to be do every page....

choose one type for each continent. do them as a classroom exercise together. some kids just don't get the whole latitude/longitude thing until older.

just my experiences. I know others don't touch the book below 5th grade.

-crystal

NJCheryl

Re: Do you use World Geography?

Unread post by NJCheryl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 am

When we did ECC I had a 4th grader and a 1st tag a long. I tried using it the first time it was in TM and it seemed too difficult for them. After that I shelved it. We still had a great year without it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheryl

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 am

Just wanted to clarify that it says to purchase one each "or photocopy." But as I read the rest of your post, I don't think that matters :)

Here is a link with a nice variety of past experiences to add to the current ones
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3212

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Misty - jumping in here late; I've been on vacation.

I started out thinking that I could use just a few pages out of World Geography with my "advanced" 3rd grader last year, but I'm so glad that we dropped it after just a few countries (Brazil, I think). It really wasn't adding anything to her education, because she was learning so many new things from everything else. We're saving it until 8th grade when, like crystal said, she can do it on her own. School got way more funner ;) when I decided to drop the things that said "advanced" in ECC. Those things are not for an academically advanced student, they're for a physically older student, IMO.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:03 pm

We used it a bit with 4th grader last year - we're still in ECC this year and she's in 5th. My problem with it is more lack of time than anything. I seemed never to get the right kinds of books from the library that would have the answers, and I can't take dd to the library by herself, nor work with her at the library while my little boys are roaming free. I don't know - it's great to learn some research skills but for us, for right now - it was just stressing me out. I put it up on the shelf. If I had a set of encylcopedias, I think dd (almost 10) could complete some of the pages on her own.

I would not worry about it with anyone younger than 5th grade, unless you just have loads of time you're trying to fill up. And if I were doing it with someone under 5th, it would be a together-thing, not an independent-thing.

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

extrafor6

Exploring World Geography - Oh my!

Unread post by extrafor6 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 pm

4monkeyz wrote:Honestly, I am a little nervous with Exploring World Geography. It looks so...so...much. My ds will be 4th grade/9 yo and I am not sure how best to use this book if at all. I have read through ECC's TM, the intro pages of the book and I looked through the ECC board, but I still can't wrap my head around it. I don't want to overwhelm my ds starting off and I have the summer to get things planned out a bit...I am not a fly-by-the-seat kind of gal. :) I know he loves having little projects, so I was thinking maybe one "report" per continent. But other than that, I come up with nothing. This is our first time doing anything like this!! So I don't have any clue where to even start!! He really needs to have things clearly laid out, less choices, pick a or b, and then go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ~ I would esp. like to know how others w/4th graders have used the book. Thanks! :-)
I had a 4 yo, 1st, 3rd and 4th grader this year. I began the year intending to do some of the mapping and animal sheets, but honestly I never got around to using hardly any of it. I think a lot of the mapping would have been doable and we did a few, but I just didn't get around to as much as I would have liked.

What we did use, I only used with my 4th grader and she did it independently. I don't think the material or the worksheets/maps are as difficult as they initially appear.
Hope that helps a little.
Stephanie

Julie in MN

Re: Exploring World Geography - Oh my!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Hopefully you'll get a wide variety of replies, because i think folks are all over the board on this one. Here are some sample conversations:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3212

At my house, in 3rd grade, my son did almost none of the "Exploring World Geography" book. We were just having too much fun with book basket, growing plants and taste testing new fruits, etc etc. On a couple of the continents with lots of islands, we laid out our big laminated map and followed longitude and latitude with an erasable marker (I have a photo of that somewhere), and did that page in the Geography book. But sometimes the island was too small to be on our map, so once we got in the general vicinity, we'd have to look up the nearest country in our encyclopedia or something, so it wasn't all easy as pie, but maybe a good lesson in digging in for learning.

Some folks really enjoy the "Exploring World Geo" book even with 3rd graders. I tend to say that you can skip it in 3rd and 4th, because it's really "research" skills that require looking outside of the book for answers (although there is a helpful answer key in back). Or at least wait until you get past your first continent, and then evaluate whether you want another little learning challenge in the mix. If you don't use the book at all, you can keep it on hand as an extra "research skills" book for future years, maybe even as an alternative when finishing up the 12th grade geography credit LOL (we're heading into 12th grade, which is the only reason I said that!).

Julie

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Andrea,

When we did this the first time, my dd was 3rd grade. For the first "packet" of Exploring World Geography, I went through it with my dd on the couch, asking which pages looked interesting to her. Then, we would do them together. She liked the ones with graphs, the animals, and one of the ones toward the front (I don't think it was the rivers one, maybe it was major landmarks or geographic landmarks). So, for the rest of the packets, that's what we did. There wasn't any research needed for those pages. We did try one of the island ones, but like Julie said, having maps that show those islands was hard.

I don't think 4th graders need to do a "country report" - even a short one. If you want, you could have your 4th grader do one country report - maybe toward the end of the year on his favorite country. Do it like a geography fair where he makes a tri-fold board with interesting pictures and facts, and then he does a little 3 minute report. (We've done lots of geography fairs around here.)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Wed May 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks ladies! I breathed a sigh of relief at your replies. :) I just don't want to overdo it if that makes sense? Two years ago in our homeschool infancy, we crashed and burned with what we were then using...it was largely the materials and I think I was over doing it just a tad. ;) So I will put the book aside and see how the first few weeks go. Then reevaluate...I have read that the first few weeks can be overwhelming until we settle into a groove.
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015

Mommy22alyns

Unread post by Mommy22alyns » Thu May 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Rebecca was in 4th grade this year and I copied off 3-4 pages per continent for her.

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat May 18, 2013 11:12 am

Posting a little late here :) ... ECC is thorough, even without the World Geography. I think Julie's advice to do the first continent, and then evaluate whether you want/need to add it in later on is a great idea, too. !?

Most importantly: Play the geography game! We're amazed at the amount of geography our dd has retained from playing the Geog. Game three years ago.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sun May 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks Melissa for chiming in. :) That is very encouraging! It is helpful to hear how much your kids learned from the Geography Game - I have read others saying the same thing and that is a great encouragement to play it. I sometimes think things are too hard for my kids and I chicken out instead of challenging them.
Mommy22alyns wrote:Rebecca was in 4th grade this year and I copied off 3-4 pages per continent for her.

That is good to hear too. My dh thought some of the book looked like fun - but he used to teach geography and now coaches the geography bee at school so he is a little biased. :) I think Micah could handle a few of the easier pages. Although I could see him getting into something really obscure and challenging too!

One of the things I loved with Adven. was that the beginning of the school year started rather slowly. A few core subjects, then gradually adding in LA and Math and Spelling. I'm thinking maybe that's the route I will go this year too. Maybe starting a bit earlier and sort of easing in as opposed to jumping full throttle.

I am so thankful for MFW board & all the help! :)
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015

TriciaMR

Exploring World Geography-3rd grader

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:47 pm

hsm wrote:I know that the TM says that for youngers it is okay to not do many pages, but I am wondering how many of you with younger children in ECC are skipping the Exploring Geography pages?

I am finding the pages are so far over her head (except maybe the animal page) and to be honest, I don't have a lot of extra time to spend working on them with her. My 6th grader hates this book, but I am having her do many of the pages because I think it is important information to learn and an excellent way to hone her research skills. But, for my 3rd grader who will repeat ECC in 8th grade, can I skip it all together and still sleep at night? ;)
Yes! Skip it if you don't have time with it. WIth my kids we usually only do the animals & graphs pages... (the oldest is 8th, younger two 4th - so my oldest does them all, but I don't have time to help my 4th graders with this that much).
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Exploring World Geography-3rd grader

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:01 pm

I agree with Trish, it's okay. Here is a thread showing the variety of families and kids using those geography packets in different ways. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3212
Hopefully more families will share what they did.

At my house, we aren't big on worksheets. Ds in 3rd did almost none, although occasionally we'd try one or another. I remember dh wanting to help him look up the mountains in one continent, and I remember using our large laminated map to find islands in another (probably Asia, where there are a lot of islands). But not all the islands are visible on our map, so we had to find the general vicinity, and then get out our encyclopedia for that region.

Then in 8th, ds did some of them for each continent. As you and Trish both mentioned, it's good practice in research, since it isn't just spitting back what you just read, but instead really looking things up. However, even in 8th, doing all of them on every continent was more than we needed. I spent more time on writing via his country reports.

You'll be okay either way, just use the tools as you see a need!
Julie

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:55 pm

We did the Latitude/Longitude pages with our oldest daughter when she was in 3rd. Looking back, I wish I would have waited to use E.W.G. until she does ECC again in 8th grade.

More important? The Geography Game. It's fun. But the skills learned playing that game has benefitted us far more over the years than understanding latitude/longitude. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:11 pm

My ds is 4th grade/9 yo and I am skipping it with him. Honestly, there is so much going on this year I just can't really handle one more thing. My 4 yo is in speech therapy weekly (childhood apraxia) and my 5 yo is our energizer bunny (oh the things that child comes up with!). Someone told me once (or maybe I read it on here) to do less well than many things half-heartedly. ;) So besides a daily Bible time, our goals are to really focus on the LA and handwriting this year, besides the other fun ECC stuff. :) -- On a side note, we made mini cherry pies to go with the book "How to bake a cherry pie and see the USA" so much fun!! -- Anyways, if it is too much for the 3rd grader, set it aside and wait for the next time around. I'm not too worried about my ds, I had him do a lapbook for the USA (currency, flag, our state, animals, first and current president) - nothing too elaborate, just a file folder cut to fit in his binder. I know he will be exposed to geography concepts at a later time. Hope that helps. :-)
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:57 pm

hsm wrote:But, for my 3rd grader who will repeat ECC in 8th grade, can I skip it all together and still sleep at night? ;)
Yep. I skipped it altogether for my 3rd grader and slept great! ;)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks for making me feel better about skipping it! Now, I can quit stressing and get some sleep ;) I think I will just copy some of the pages when I feel like it and save the book for when she is in 8th grade. I appreciate all of the input!

Oh, and 4monkeys...I LOVE your mini cherry pie idea....yummy and fun! I am past that unit in ECC but I am doing the apple unit with my K-er this week and we are reading How to bake an apple pie and see the world...so we are doing an apple pie this week. Maybe I will do miniature ones. I think the kids would love that!
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:08 pm

4monkeyz wrote:Someone told me once (or maybe I read it on here) to do less well than many things half-heartedly. ;)
Andrea ~ Great reminder. I needed that. Thanks. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

kw4blessings

ECC--Ordering Question

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:19 pm

cappy wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 am
I am about to order ECC, and trying to decide on the additions....specifically the Exploring World Geography. How many pages are in this? I don't know if I want everyone to have one, or if I just want to make copies. I'm all about making life easier....but I'll have four kiddos using. If its pages and pages per day, that's one thing, but a page or two a week is different. This would be for 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th.
Hi! There are about 170 pages in the book, but it doesn't look like they are all used. For example, for weeks 3-8, it says to make photocopies of pgs 98-115. Then for weeks 9-11, it says to copy 17 pages as well. Weeks 12-17 are 19 pages. So, it looks like about an average of 4 or so pages per child, per week.

I only bought one copy, but my kiddos are younger (2nd and 4th), so we're not using all of the pages. It is easy to copy though, especially since there is a preparation page before each new continent that tells you exactly which pages you'll need for that unit. You could copy all the pages for 3-5 weeks at a time and not have to worry about it too often. HTH!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!