DELUXE - The inflatable globe, Currency kit,

kellybell

DELUXE - The inflatable globe, Currency kit,

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:04 am

samba wrote:I would like to use this globe in a fun, meaningful way but lately I have been utterly incapable of thinking of anything original on my own. Ideas?
Thanks,
Carolyn
We did ECC before the globe was offered. However it does look like a fun thing to have around and perhaps I'll pick one up the next time we do ECC.

I can imagine the kids and mom standing in a circle and throwing the ball around from person to person and when you catch the globe you have to say what is under your right thumb (or left index finger, whatever). Is it France? Or an island in the Pacific?

Another fun thing would be to have an inflatable globe for each child and you call out a location and they race to find it on their globe. Since the globes are inexpensive you could do that, whereas it would be hard to afford a "real" globe per kid.

And, just having it around in the playroom or the backyard pool would be nice. A lot of learning takes place when a "bored" kid takes a look at the "toy" he's fiddling with. We've got a map of the world shower curtain (recent Walmart purchase) and I trust that while my kids are bored in the shower they are sort of looking over at the shower curtain and learning.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

melinda

Unread post by melinda » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:08 am

I was just reading about using an inflatable globe in the car--of all places! I purchased the book Carschooling since we spend a ton of time on the road and one of the ideas was to keep an inflatable globe in the glove box, so that when your discussion turns to another country or place, you can blow it up and have the kids pinpoint the location you're talking about. Just another idea...
Melinda & Co.
Girls (ages 8 and 7, 7 (ID twins))
Baby boy (1)
www.eagereyesofblue.blogspot.com

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:50 pm

ooh good ideas. I think I'll pick up another couple of globes...

niki

Unread post by niki » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Nothing like a good ole game of hot potato!!!!
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:37 pm

We already have a globe in the house. But my kids will LOVE it when I toss them the world. ;)
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

4Truth

question on ordering ECC

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:28 pm

wrensnest wrote:I am ordering the basic ECC package. I have or can borrow most of the things on the deluxe set. We have a globe on a stand and a wall map already, and will receive another wall map with the basic package. Will it enhance the program to have another globe? Does the inflatable globe really add to the program? I'm trying to watch my pennies and don't want to get anything I don't really need. Thanks so much!
Kathryn
You need a globe of some sort. The inflatable one that MFW sells is a cheaper option than going to the store and buying a regular globe (if you don't already have one). Also, someone here passed along the great idea of using wipe-off markers to mark places and journeys on their inflatable globe.... great idea! So you decide. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN

Re: question on ordering ECC

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:34 am

cbollin wrote:If you have a globe that is fairly current with countries, you can use that globe.
I always make sure that the globe doesn't have USSR on it (make sure it says "Russia").

Anyone else have a better gauge?
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:52 am

I look for USSR

east/west germany

other stuff in Europe (if it says Yugoslavia, it's too old)

some stuff to look for in Africa too with Zaire/Congo... but my brain power is failing now...

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 am

Myanmar used to be Burma.

We now have a "Southern" Ocean.

And then of course, Pluto is no longer a planet. 8) Oh but wait, that wouldn't be on the globe, would it.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

wrensnest

Unread post by wrensnest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Okay, I had to run downstairs, get my globe, run upstairs and check all these countries! I've got everything covered except the one ocean (and of course Pluto is sadly missing ;) ). Guess I'm glad I ordered the inflatable one! I couldn't wait, :-) so I ordered earlier and decided to shell out the extra. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Kathryn

gratitude

ECC Passports with Currency kit

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:26 pm

MelissaM wrote:We put a picture on the first page and then as we visited each new country we would put the sticker for that country on the next page.

I usually pretended to be a very stern customs agent who questioned whether they were really the same person as in the picture. I did lots of terrible accents. My kids LOVED it. ECC was probably their favorite year ever!

:)
If you bought the newer currency kit, my children did really enjoy it. They liked getting their currency when their passports were stamped with flag stickers. Then they would use the money to purchase lunch with. :)

I wanted to share with you an old thread from when we were finishing up ECC last fall. I found these videos at the library that follow children in their home life in various countries. They really were a wonderful addition to ECC for us. I ended up finding almost all 26 in our library. Here is the thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 768#p99768

I hope ECC is a wonderful blessing for your family. :)