Schedule - Some users like to make a tentative daily plan

Julie in MN

Re: ECC Questions about Scheduling

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote:This year we do bible together during MFW time because its part of the history lesson and I've assigned the read alouds to my oldest DD to do on her own. Its been one of those years (we are only on week 10!!
Just a note that we did CTG Bible together as a family in the evenings. There were some fun times with reenacting the plagues and such. Then in the morning, we'd do the other parts of Bible and history, and it became a good review for retention. It also helped shorten our school day a bit :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

far above rubies

Re: ECC Questions about Scheduling

Unread post by far above rubies » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I've done Bible/activity/Geo/Book Basket/Sci first and then had them go onto independent work and I've also followed the grid, straight down the page, too.

I think it depends a lot on the day and what's going on. And goodness knows each day is different.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Julie in MN

What does your day look like?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:31 pm

disneymommy wrote:I am brand new to these forums so I hope I'm not missing this elsewhere. If I am, please point me in the right direction :-)

Anyway, I have 5 children. My current plan for next year is to do ECC with my kids, with Singapore math and the LA resources we are already using. My kids will the fourth grade, second grade, kindergarten, 3.5 years and 1 year.

I'm really interested in hearing all about what your day looks like if you use ECC and have kids of similar ages (or what your day looked like when you were in my shoes). And I mean the big picture - housework, playtime, activities, not just how your school day breaks down. Thanks!!

Kate
Hi Kate,
As you wait for busy moms, here are some threads you could read through. The archives are a nice resource, but never hesitate to post for some conversation, as well. I know over the years, just talking things through "out loud" on the boards has helped me get the piece I may have been missing.
Julie

ECC Archives
schedule ideas http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3807
schedule examples http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9277
combining ages http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6727

"Choosing" Archives
large families http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1011

Kindergarten Archives (even if you're not using MFW-K, there may be helpful ideas in there?)
combining K & olders http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1312

Toddler/Preschool Archives
well, lots of possibilities there http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=2
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

klewfor3

Re: What does your day look like?

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:36 am

Hi there!

I love your question...and while I'll give my day, please know that I still feel like a newbie at this!! (This is only my 3rd yr. homeschooling).

I have a 4th grader, a 2nd grader, a kindergartener, and a 10 month old. We are doing CTG and kindy. My main difference in my schedule to yours will be the baby :-). But, here we go:

I get up and throw in a load of laundry and get breakfast started once the baby wakes up. And MAKE COFFEE!
The kids roll out of bed and are eating breakfast by 8:30.
At 9:00 they have to get ready for school (hair, teeth, clothes on, showers)
By 9:30 we are in our schoolroom (because my baby takes his nap now)
We do 3 hrs of school with a snack in the middle while they do their book time.
12:30 break for lunch
1:00 they go outside (most of the time...we live in IL but I have them put on snow gear and they love it)
1:30 back to school if needed until 2:30-3:00

Right after school they have to pick up the schoolroom before they can leave it.
I give them a 1/2-1 hr. to watch a show or relax.
Then I set a timer and put on some fun dance music (like Go Fish...love them) and for the next 15 minutes my older 3 HAVE to help me and work hard and pick up the whole house, vacuum, dust, sweep, or whatever needs to be done the most...but picking up is an absolute. Let me tell you that this often is the BEST time of our day. We dance while we're picking up and the kids start to race each other. Don't get me wrong, they often don't initially want to do it, but once we're doing it really lifts their moods. And, while 15 min worth of work doesn't sound like a lot, it is AMAZING how much gets done!! I make sure that no matter what, they get to quit working after 15 min. and the timer goes off. Then they easily can commit to doing it everyday and they don't mind. Also, they have gotten to the point where they want to keep going once they're doing it!

Then, I start dinner and throw in another load of laundry.
The rest of the night is cleaning up from dinner, spending time together, baths, and picking up one more time before bed (not 15 min., just their "stuff")
Bedtime is from 8:30-9:00.
At 9:00 I start folding and putting away the laundry...and then go to bed as soon as I can :-)

That is how I try to make it work. Not everyday works out (especially the laundry...ugh, I hate laundry) but I try!

Hope this helps.
God bless,
Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Julie - What a huge help. I'm sure I'll enjoy looking through those.

Thanks Kathy - I LOVED reading that - it's so helpful to see how it all works out for you. And to hear that it DOES work out for you, lol.

Kate

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 pm

I don't use ECC so I wasn't sure if you wanted my answer. You can see in many SIG what years I'm using and how many kiddos.

8am, Bible. All kids are dressed and fed and ready to go. I do all 3 bible portions, verses and activities all together. I start with the older year so they can be dismissed to do their work on other subjects.
9-1030 am, Mom Meetings! I work around the table (or desks) with each kiddo reading instructions and directing their work. I start oldest to youngest with Phonics/language and then Math. They do Book basket or reading or a math flash card online or typing or spanish while they wait for me. My 7th grader does all her independent work, independent of us. My youngest watch a video, rotate table work and kiddie coral toys during this time.
1030-1130 or 12.. We stop where ever we are and do science, history, art and music. All the kids together. I pick parts of first and K to do with the group also. Like withHirse unit we all did the shape horse while I read, ect.
1200 pm lunch and break, oldest DD does her chores.
1pm to 2 is reserved for asking mom questions, grading and making up what Mom meetings I don't get to. Or they do chores at this time. Oldest dd is usually still working as her work takes longer to do.
2pm I am done for the day. They may have home work but I am off duty till next school day.

I'm not saying its always this way, but it's the goal and we reach it 90% of the time.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks Vicki! I loved reading your schedule. I like the idea of alternating group work and individual work. Would you be willing to share any more about occupying your littlest ones? A baby is one thing, but I'm nervous about having a 1 year old next year!

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi Kathy!

I'm going to post our general routine here. It's our "framework" that we build our day around, but almost every day something is done slightly different, or not done at all.

I get up around 7:00, usually my husband is up before me with one or two of the younger boys. Everyone plays, chats, reads, draws, has their coffee or tea or chocolate milk.

Breakfast is at 8:00 (I spent years cooking breakfast, but after Miriam was born, we switched back to cereal). I read a bible story during breakfast. Afterwards we do morning chores, then get ready for the day.

Morning Meeting is at 9:30. We pray, sing our folksong, go over everyone's memory verses, read from one of our "faith books" :: Trial and Triumph, Little Pilgrim's Progress, or Parables of Nature, and we recently added the "bible" from ECC here. Followed up with a random someone's narration. We go over any extracurriculars for the day: ballet, music, theatre, baseball, dr appts. Before we break up, we say the Pledge. Afterwards my girls head to their rooms. They're almost 14 and almost 17, doing WHL. My older boys (11 and 9) go to the dining room table for independent (Math, Lang Arts, Vocab, etc) work.

I do Circle Time with my little ones (6, 5, 4, 2, and a 7 week old in my arms). I posted what we do/use for Circle Time on my blog last night if you want to take a peek. It takes 30-45 minutes or so.

I'll hang out in the family room with the little ones for the remainder of the morning. We listen to children's music, and play with toys. I'm often sitting in a chair cuddling and nursing Miriam and recovering from the morning during this time.The girls and older boys come to me with any questions, and I do PLL and ILL orally with each of the older boys. *They also eat a piece of fruit for a snack sometime around here.

Towards the end of the morning is when I'll read aloud the geography or history lesson. If we have time, we'll do the "activity" many times, though, those will get pushed to the weekend.

Around 11:30 we start tidying up and getting ready to eat lunch (sandwiches since Miss Baby came along). I usually let the little ones watch TV once they've picked up their toys and are waiting on lunch (Umizoomi, Bubble Gups, Wallykazam, Wild Kratts, Martha Speaks, Little Einsteins ... ).

We eat around noon. I read from our current read aloud at the table. We also use a little devotional called Little Blessings at lunch.

We do afternoon chores, and head to Quiet Time *hopefully* by 12:45. Nappers sleep, non-nappers read or finish up school. My 6 year old doesn't nap or read yet, so he listens to a story CD, looks at books, draws, or plays quietly in his room. Not really. But he's supposed to. ;) My older boys are usually drawing and getting loud around 2:30, so I recently gave them the task of setting up teatime.

Which is around 3:00. Fancy way of saying we eat a snack all together at the table (we really do drink cambric tea thougg. In tea cups my grandma buys me from auctions in Kentucky). I sneak in poetry, composer, and Shakespeare/Plutarch here (did you know Mary Lamb ... oh, nevermind. I just found out today, and I'm not sure I'll be able to continue reading Lamb's version of Shakespeare aloud to my kids).

We clean up and the boys all usually head outside for a few hours. My girls will have ballet or theatre some nights. We squeeze driving to and fro in. Kylie takes music lessons on Tuesday, and I always forget, so it's usually a mad dash for a few hours on Tuesdays. My husband usually does church with 6/9 kids on Wednesdays, but Korinne has ballet and the babies stay home with me. We skipped baseball this spring, hubby is away training from mid-March to mid-April, so it would have just been impossible for me to handle games and practices on my own -- but each boy usually starts playing at age 8.

Anyhoo ... late afternoons can be hairy some days.

We eat dinner around 6:00. I actually am still cooking this meal. Most days. We all do evening chores and baths after dinner. My husband is actually a HUGE help when he's home in the evenings. He may cook sometimes, he gives the little ones their baths a lot, he plays with them, etc.

We try and do Family Worship most evenings around 7:45. We pray, sing a few hymns, and listen to a few chapters form our audiodrama bible. Good stuff.

Bedtime is around 8:30. All the boys listen to story CDs as they go to sleep (Jim Weiss, mostly). Except for Zach ... he watches old episodes of The Muppet Show. He still sleeps in a crib in our room, so we play them on our TV as Brian and I are finishing up some things. The girls are supposed to have lights out around 10:00, and they usually do. Unless American Idol or Dancing With the Stars is on *if they've gotten all their school work finished, and it was a good day :) My husband is finishing up seminary, so he's usually reading/writing for a few hours after the kids go to bed. I usually read or edit the day's photos and blog or waste too much time on Facebook or look at tomorrow's lesson plans or rock and rock and rock Miriam. But we're all usually in bed by 11:00.

*the baby is with me all day. I don't "train" my babies with nursing, sleeping, etc. It just doesn't work for us. If things get way overwhelming, one of the older kids will usually come get her for a few minutes.

**laundry is done during the 3 chore times I mentioned. One daughter during morning, one during afternoon, me in the evening (and most days I'll continue to do more loads until I go to bed). I'd say we do at least 4, sometimes 5 a day.

***we do major cleaning on Saturday. Chore times during the week are mostly tidying up, dishes, bathroom clean up, laundry, etc

I hope that helps. I hope I didn't say too much. I hope I don't look lazy. I hope I don't sound puffed up and supermom-ish. We're fairly normal. Just large. We pretty much live out "organized chaos" :)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks so much!! I actually read your response when you posted it but wasn't able to respond on my phone ;) It's so wonderful for me to hear how you are able to make things work. (I know with several kids things are never going to be picture perfect and we won't ever "do it all" but its good know know others come pretty close and to hear how they do it! Thanks!)