ECC Photos

AquaRubyMom

ECC Photos

Unread post by AquaRubyMom » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:10 am

Our scrapbook

Awhile back I posted a few pages from my scrapbook and I just wanted to share my latest School Days page.

The pictures are from various days of doing school or going to co-op where they have PE and Spanish. I used a map page for the patterned paper -- I think it ties in nicely with the curriculum we are using (ECC) -- notice the cake ;-) My kids are also standing under one of the art projects from Global Art.

Thanks for looking.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26

Julie in MN

ECC Photos - Week 11!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:57 am

Aquarubymom & Sybil have inspired me to figure out how to share with everyone. This is youngest ds and his ECC eggshell experiment. We weren't sure we knew what we were doing, but we did pretty good, made it to 4 encyclopedias and then...

Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

AquaRubyMom

Unread post by AquaRubyMom » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:06 am

I love the second face -- LOL!! *blushing* We actually skipped this experiment. Maybe I should go back and do this one. What week is it in again?

Julie in MN

week 11

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:34 am

Well I tried the site you told me about & it worked fine! Dh & I got each other an early Christmas present of a digital camera, at the after-Thanksgiving sales :o)

Anyways, it was at the end of the rainforest study, when you read about birds in week 11. We had no idea if we were doing it right, & were so amazed! My older dd & I had studied how the Romans invented the arch, so I called her in to tell her, "See, God invented the arch!"

Julie

AquaRubyMom

Unread post by AquaRubyMom » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:04 am

"See, God invented the arch!"

Too funny :D Thanks for the reminder of where to find it. We may have to try this experiment when I get my dd back from her mom's house next week. Now I need to get some eggs -- LOL!!

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:06 am

Regarding the egg experiment: we had better luck balancing the books (well, the first book) if we used lids from soft drink or water bottles above and below the eggs. Actually, using two such lids, we found it possible to balance stuff (books, whatever) on ONE egg. Lots of fun. It's neat to see such great packaging engineering (egg) designed in a way that the little chick can peck his way out.
Julie in MN wrote:Hmmm, Kelly, please explain! We've done this, but always up for more experiments :o)

Do you mean those small caps on drinks, about an inch tall? If you put that under the eggshell, would the shell have to be no higher than the cap?

<little cap on top, open side up?>
<eggshell the same height as cap underneath?>
<little cap underneath, open side down?>

How in the world did it occur to you to try that :o)
The caps I'm talking about are the screw-on caps that you find on soft drinks and plastic water bottles (such as Pepsi or Dasani). They are about an inch across and not quite an inch high.

When you use them with the egg experiment, you simply put the cap with the open end up (so that it could hold a spoonful of water) on the counter. Then, put the egg in, then put a cap with the open end down and flat side up (the way it would be on an upright bottle). Do this for three or four eggs. Then, put the book(s) on. The open part of the bottle caps should be on the eggs and the closed part should be touching the countertop or the books.

The bottle caps don't really strengthen (or weaken) anything, they just make it easier to balance. They just give a flat surface...

Hope this is clearer than my first explanation.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

AquaRubyMom

Unread post by AquaRubyMom » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:10 pm

My dh said if you put an egg in your hand lengthwise across your palm -- you cannot crush it.

My favorite is taking a hardboiled egg and a fresh egg and spin them -- the hardboiled one will spin faster.

mamax3

Unread post by mamax3 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:17 pm

AquaRubyMom wrote:My dh said if you put an egg in your hand lengthwise across your palm -- you cannot crush it.
Yes, he is right! We did this along with the book experiment. I think the boys tried for an hour. Whenever I am making eggs, they try again!
Sybil, mother of CJ (11) and Damian (8) using CTG, and Brendan (4) using MFW K
Homeschooling photo albums- www.picturetrail.com/mamax3
CJ's websites- www.k-9kids.org www.freewebs.com/cjstudentambassador
Usborne Books- www.ubah.com/Z1131

AquaRubyMom

ECC Photos - "Egg"speriment in Week 11, LOL

Unread post by AquaRubyMom » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Well we tried the egg experiment today. The kids really enjoyed it. First we tried to crack the eggs in our palms:

That didn't work -- ;o)

I also showed the difference between a hard-boiled egg and a fresh egg -- by spinning them.

Then I took a hammer and nail and cracked the top of the egg to get the yolk out. Not sure if we did this correctly, but here is how our eggs did with one book. It is a bible commentary book:

Seems to be holding out pretty well. Then we placed another book of equal size on top and it held up great too. Then came book number 3 and well...

Smoosh went our eggs -- they were flat -- LOL!! Thanks for letting me share :D

Debbie Pittman

Unread post by Debbie Pittman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:36 am

two questions for AquaRubyMom - - make that three, since I'd love to know why the screen name and what your real name is (unless you don't want to reveal it :)

Where is the eggsperiment found - what book, what week?

How do you get those great photos to post? (sorry if you've answered this before.....I'm sure someone has asked!)

Thanks- Debbie P, Tallahassee, FL (who has several gorgeous brown children - who love to put their arms right beside my pale one and line up in order of "darkness". I'm sure this is totally unPC - but they could care less!)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:09 am

Wow, ds & I so enjoyed seeing someone else's results :o) Everyone will appreciate knowing how that worked, too. Such creative photo angles & captions!!! Oh, and your books are most impressive (especially the Bible commentary LOL)!

My ds would so LOVE to have all those kids to do ECC with, sigh...

Julie

P.S. Debbie, see the post "more ECC sharing" to find the experiment, & "just wanted to share" for how she does the pix!

AquaRubyMom

Unread post by AquaRubyMom » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:36 am

Hi Debbie :D If you are able to see my "siggy" pic it shows my name -- but my name is Christy :o) My screen name is a fun one I came up with. Out of my 4 children, 2 of them share July b-days and 2 share March b-days. The birthstone for July is Ruby and March is Aquamarine. So I shortened it to AquaRuby and then added Mom :o)

The experiment comes from week 11 in the ECC book as we were studying Brazil. We didn't do the experiment the first time, I forget why. So when Julie posted her pictures, I wanted to go back and try this fun experiment :D

Oh and my children call themselves chocolate and peach (and sometimes vanilla) for their skin colors -- LOL!!

To post photos -- you need a place online that you can upload pictures to. Photobucket is a free site and once you upload the picture it has the links to the pictures to post on message boards.

Debbie Pittman

Unread post by Debbie Pittman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:18 pm

Christy!
Oh....You mean that name above the picture that says, "Christy, Mom to...." (duh! sometimes I worry about me!)

We are on Brazil this week (said sheepishly, after WAY too many weeks off...) so I look forward to doing the egg-speriment. Anything destructive will go over real big at our house.

I am inspired now to post some pictures. Thanks for the info.
Debbie P., Tallahassee, FL

TurnOurHearts

ECC Photos - Our India Celebration!

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:27 pm

This past Friday we held an India Celebration Day at our house as we concluded our study of this very interesting country. Here are some of the things we did (straight out of the TM!):

1) made homemade pita bread (which is what chapattis turned out like/to be);
2) ate hummus (borrowed from Saudi Arabia suggestion), and WHO knew how good that stuff was?!;
3) made saris for the girls & dhotis for the boys;
4) face painting ~ bindis and/or traditional Kathakali Theater faces;
5) held a brother/sister bracelet ceremony, loosely modeled after the Raksha Bandhan tradition (profess love & protection, make bracelets for one another);
6) Made boxes with model magic & decorated them with craft jewels to keep bracelets in.

What a blast! Here are a few pics from our day:

The boys in their dhotis ~

The girls in their saris ~

One of the 'jeweled' boxes ~

Namaste!

Aren't they adorable?!?! :)

**a special thank you to my friend, Brae, for her permission to post her children's photos along with mine**

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:18 pm

My dd was SO EXCITED to see these pictures! Why? The charming dhotis? No. The beautiful Saris? No. (Excellent use of material, though!) She was was excited because those kids have the same timeline she has!!!!!

LOL!!!! Sure looks like you had a great time in India! Good for you!!!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL