Schedule - How much time daily for ECC?

MFW-Lucy

Re: Times for ECC

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Katrina,

Minus the math and language arts you will want to set aside 2-2 1/2 hours to complete ECC. This includes the read aloud and built in copywork as part of Bible. Some families have found that using the Bible (15-20min) as an evening devotion with Dad is a great way to not only have Dad involved but it is time that is not taken from your day. The year's we were able to do this we would review our memory verse and begin our day with prayer. If you choose this route you will want to start the weekly devotionals for the week on Sunday to be ready for Monday (Bible often coordinates with the days study, each year is different as to how much so it does.)

Another idea is to have read aloud time (20-30 mins.) in the evening before bed or in the afternoon. You can be creative with this one. I know some moms who have read while kids are eating lunch (captive audience). On nice days we would sometimes go to the park in the afternoon, play a while and read a while. As my kids got older, sometimes we were out at other lessons and would stop for an afternoon treat and read aloud.

I know that I am going beyond your original question, but sometimes just saying it takes this amount of time can seem overwhelming until we look at ways we can break some of that time up.

Hope this helps you.

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Wow, Cyndi, y'all are speedy! :) I don't think we ever got through Geography or science in 15 min - is it me? Is it my crazy kids? (Yes, to both. :) )

I block 30 minutes for each of those subjects and 15 minutes for Bible and book basket - but Bible sometimes takes longer too, depending on the discussion we may get into. Geography and science could sometimes take longer, if there was a cooking project or experiment. Sometimes science experiments get done on Saturdays with Dad. Sometimes the art projects/crafts became weekend activities too. Read-alouds almost always are before bed - though I am hoping to swap that when we start CtG and do read-alouds at lunch and Bible readings in the evenings.

Maybe we are just pokey, or I'm not strict enough about interruptions/distractions. I do try to keep us on topic, but when the 2yo has to go potty - he just has to go. :-)

HTH,

PS - I realize I have mixed my tenses dreadfully in this post. We actually have recently finished ECC so this should all be in the past tense - but I'm having trouble letting go. :-)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:31 pm

MelissaM wrote:Wow, Cyndi, y'all are speedy! :)
Yeah, I guess we are. Maybe it's having an only child? When we focus on school, school gets done. And my dd writes very quickly. I don't think it ever took us longer than an hour to do the 4 things I mentioned. If there was a science experiment or cooking to do, we did that in the afternoon. We don't have the luxury of saving something for Daddy to do -- we get our Bible and all our reading done during the day. I read a chapter out of a lit book to dd at bedtime, not related to "school." Doing ECC for 3rd grade never took us more than 3 hours in a day, and usually less. There was plenty of time to devote to other activities.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks ladies! Every answer sheds light on the times I can expect. :-) I suspect my crew will function more like Melissa's with plenty of interruptions. I don't have fast writers either. I also have an eager five year old who,will try to keep up and an adorable but lively toddler! I find right now that just teaching the 3 Rs takes a big chunk of time so I am trying to be sober minded about jumping back into to content!
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:04 am

Katrina,

I am glad that our perspectives are helpful. I did have one other thought. The time also includes some independent work for older kids, such as the 15 minutes of book basket (you can literally set a timer and the great thing about this one is it can be done at any time) or 10-15 to complete a notebook page (coloring a flag, drawing a picture for science, etc.). Just wanted to throw that in there. I was always starting a load of laundry, or getting part of dinner going so I was right there, but could do something else briefly.

Praying God will help you as you decide the best plan for your family next year.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 am

Tagging on a bit with Lucy's teacher mom experiences...

Though it seems long ago in my memory, there was a time where we had tons of distractions and interruptions before oldest was high school independent level. I had a ready list of things that oldest could do on her own while I changed a diaper, or cleaned baked on flour out of youngest child's hair... (great story there... remind me someday)

among those things would have been:
*oh, here's some book basket books. You get to do that while I go get your sister off the top of the fridge and help her get dressed. (Carol Barnier has a book with similar title. I met her last year and said, did you have a camera in my house that day?)
*or, how about you start listening to the music cd?
*hmm.... how would you like to do some of the art, or try the science experiment another way?
*maybe you can try a page in World Geography? see what cities you can match in the continent.
*or you and your middle sister go have a laundry war with the clothes coming out of the dryer.

-crystal

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes, I definitely agree that the 30 minutes or so that I would block out for geography or science was not necessarily all Mommy-Intensive Time. If the assignment was reading and a notebook page, we would do the reading/narrating/discussing all together and then oldest would do the notebook page on her own. My 6yo was tagging along, and sometimes I would help him add a sentence to a student sheet or something, but mostly he was just coloring pages, which is also independent.

And yes, book basket is independent for all my kids - my 6yo doesn't have to READ the books, he just has to look quietly for a bit.
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:01 pm

You all are lovely. :-) Thanks for the ideas and stories! Crystal, I have some pretty rambunctious kiddos but no one has scaled the fridge. My DD5 does climb door jambs and stand on her head and leap from 6 stairs up but no fridge climbing. :-) She is my toughest, most active child so far!
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

cbollin

? about first 2 weeks of ECC - Went quickly

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:24 am

scarletrose wrote:I've seen mentioned on here a lot that the first 2 weeks of ECC are more involved and difficult than the rest of the year. Exactly what does that mean? My kids and I just finished the first week and have found that our ECC work has gone by quickly each day, so I've been a little concerned about the comments about the first 2 weeks being more intense. Will it be even shorter once we start with week 3?
This is what I mean when I say that about the first 2 weeks...

Both of those weeks are 5 day weeks instead of "4 full days plus 1 light and independent". For some children, the concepts in the maps/globe (with latitude and longitude) take more than one lesson to understand.

When families start a new school year after a summer break, those weeks can feel like you've jumped into the deep end of the pool instead of walking down the gently sloped ladder in the shallow end.

However, it is common to hear that families who start mid year don't experience that feeling.

Then the rest of the year it is more common that Fridays are light and independent so it feels different.

Kelly1730

How long is a day with ECC?

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:35 am

purpleheartwife wrote:Hi! This is our first year with MFW and I am curious about the time spend with ECC. I am just curious how long it takes for Bible, Geography, Science, Art, and Music (the other subjects we already have covered). Does it take about an hour or two? I know this can differ depending on science experiments or long art projects but I am just looking for an average. Thanks so much- we are really looking forward to starting ECC next Monday:)
Our school days were about 2-3 hours max with ECC.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: How long is a day with ECC?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm going to try to answer in detail and see if that helps - it may be more confusing. It takes until about Week 5 in ECC to feel like you've got your groove. (The first 2 weeks are really different from the rest of the year.)

Bible - 15min, 5 x week
Geography - 15min table time + 15min book basket, 4 x week
Science - 20min, 3-4 x week (more if experiment takes longer)
Nature Walk for Science - 1 x week (optional)
Art - 30min, 1 x week
Music - 10min, 2 x week

The "rounded" answer to your question would be that those subjects in ECC take about an hour and a half. I think for me teaching one child, it took an hour on most days.
jabec wrote:Oh, wow....we are in week 3 of ECC, and it is taking us W A Y longer.

For everything though. Math, language arts, everything for 6th, 4th, 2nd, K er, and a toddler to "help" out. I'm guessing it takes us around 5-7 hrs each day. Of course that's everything and not all of them are working all that time. Still, thats about how much time it takes us to complete a whole day. Since its summer, though, we've been doing about half a day at a time.

...just chimin' in :)
Yes, it would take longer to add in the other subjects; math, math facts drill, LA - including spelling, foreign language, reading, read-aloud, breaks. It's a full day, especially if you have a large family. I was trying to keep my answer very basic just for the subjects listed.

And I will always be of the opinion that the first 2 weeks of ECC are the most difficult and time-consuming and that it takes until about week 5 or later to hit your stride and feel like you have a routine going. ECC is just different that way.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

purpleheartwife

Re: How long is a day with ECC?

Unread post by purpleheartwife » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Thank you all so much for the replies- that will really help me with planning. Cindi, thanks for the warning on the first few weeks with ECC. I had not heard that before but it is good to know it will be different from the rest of the year. I am loving this forum already:)
Erin
Wife to my Purple Heart Marine:)
Mom to ds8, dd6, ds3, ds1
Our 1st year with MFW, using ECC
http://wateronthefloor.blogspot.com/

MelissaB

An only child with ECC

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am

MuzzaBunny wrote:DD and I will be diving into ECC this fall. We've used MFW since PreK and because she's an only, our days are fairly straightforward and quick. We finish a full Adv day in about 3 hours, maybe 3 hours and 15. We use the MFW recs for math and lang arts and we'll be doing cursive connections as well during ECC. I was hoping for an idea of how long our ECC day will take. I think the manual might estimate 4 hours? Does that seem about right, especially with an only? We're also family caregivers and an extra hour or so to our day will mean some schedule shuffling that I need to work out. :) Thanks!
ETA: We don't do a foreign language at this time.
Hi, Bunny. Yes, four hours should be sufficient. I think you'll find some days will be shorter than that, but allowing the full 4 hrs. will give you peace of mind so you won't feel pressure about finishing on time.

We set a timer, and finish - whether the assignments are completed or not - in the allotted time. Whatever work is unfinished at the end, we start there the next day. What we have found, surprisingly to me, is that by the end of the week our work is always complete. Some days are short, some days may take a little longer - but it always seems to work out in the end. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4