Missionary Bios - Can younger siblings handle them?

cbollin

Missionary Bios - Can younger siblings handle them?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:46 pm

TammyB wrote:While I am greatly looking forward to ECC, I am a little concerned about my daughter's ability to handle the missionary biographies. My son will be 8.5 when we start, but my daughter will only be six. She is such a sensitive child. I'm probably going to have to read them with just my son in the evenings. How have your younger children handled them?
Tammy,
When we started ECC, I had never read any of those biographies and honestly didn't know much about any of the people. So I had no idea what was coming. I always looked at Marie's notes in the TM. She had notes for when a chapter just might need to be previewed or sections summarized. So, I would summarize things from time to time and filter it if needed.

But I found that I could read the biography in a short amount of time sand know the whole story ahead of time. Most of the stories don't need too much changed or filtered. In Amy Carmichael, I filtered the word temple prostitute to "temple slave". I remember that one. Just what I did all those years ago.

-crystal

ChristyH

Unread post by ChristyH » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:20 am

My boys are six and a half and I have read everything to them. We have talked about both living for Christ and dying for Him. There haven't been any pictures so I think that lessens the horror of it. They have handled it well.
Married Scott, 1992
Erin, 13
Connor, 10
Gavin, 10
ECC 2007-2008
CTG 2008-2009
RTR 2009-2010
1850 to modern times 2011

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks. I definitely plan to preread the bios. I've already begun prereading Missionary Stories with the Millers since I plan to use that as a book basket title for next year. (I would actually enjoy reading that book right now, but I know my daughter would be frightened by many of the stories.)

Thoughts on Nate Saint? That is the book I am most concerned about.

I do plan to read all the bios next year to my son, even if my daughter has to have her own separate reading time with Daddy.

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:48 pm

I told my kids before we started, that Nate Saint is going to die. We discussed whether he would want his death to be the end-all of his work, or whether he would want us to see how God used a sad situation to draw others to Him. We haven't reached the end of the book yet, so I can't tell you how it played out in our home.

Btw, the MAF website has some REALLY great areas to pour over. There are missionary newsletters and lots of photos. Just click on the individual names of the missionaries there.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008
Honestly? We would soooo have missed out, had we not read the missionary stories. They have truly been the highlight of our year. Our kids, ages 8, 6 and 5, drank them in. I thought the reading level was too advanced initially and that it would cause them to lose interest. I was dead wrong. They LOVED every story. I had to modify a few parts (water them down) due to graphic nature, but I would not suggest missing these stories. Huge thumbs up to Marie for selecting them.

Posted by Toni@homezcool4us » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 pm
if you have the missionary stories, I think you're going to love them. As I read the first chapter of the first one, I thought, "No way. It's going to be over their heads." My kids were 8, 5 and 4 at the time. I was wrong. They were absolutely in awe and asked for their read aloud time at lunch.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:44 am

Tammy,
The first missionary (Townsend) has a long, productive life. The book is very tame.

The next book is Nate Saint, and my son noticed the dates of his lifespan were much shorter. That was a good heads-up.

Then when you get near the end of the book, Marie very much leads your children thru the difficult parts. Follow the ECC plan exactly! She has you start reading about the life of the poor Auca people and how eventually they would be saved from their terrible life by these missionaries. There are also many videos now by Nate's son and the actual Auca man who killed his father which can be added. The child is able to learn very thoroughly that the lives were not wasted.

But once you've finished with Cameron Townsend, you will probably have a better idea of what you want to do next for your little one.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Willow

Unread post by Willow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:13 am

My 1st grader asked for more missionary biographies so I am adding extras during the weeks where none are scheduled. My parents are reading the missionary biographies after we finish them, and they are enjoying them too. Thanks, MFW!

Kris

Kim in MI

Unread post by Kim in MI » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:51 am

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

We enjoyed the YWAM books as read-alouds. In general I think they're written for a slightly older audience than the Trailblazers, but my daughter did fine with them as a 7-year old in ECC. They gave us lots of things to talk about.

Kim

cbollin

Question about the missionary biographies in ECC

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:18 pm

705emily wrote:We are in about Week 7 of ECC and are loving it! Have to say--each year seems better than the one before!! Different--but in a really good way!

We are reading the Cameron Townsend biography and I am finding that it seems a bit over my kids' heads. (We are at Chapter 14) My ds is 6 and dd is 8--but I find that I am summarizing a lot of the material in the chapters--as they (especially ds) lose interest. Does anyone else find this to be the case--and if so--do you have any suggestions?? Are the other biographies the same? My thought is to keep going with this--as I truly have been blessed by reading it and even if they don't understand everything I know they are probably getting something out of it. (Yesterday dd said she wants to be a missionary!) I guess I just am wondering if maybe I should wait til they are a little older and can understand more?
I know with the Cam Townsend book, I found it many times to be "bogging me down" as I'd read it out loud. But, oh, I wanted my children to hear the stories in his life and all about Bible translation. So, we skipped and summarized some sections about stories with the buick. But didn't skip other stories where the details were about who was at what meeting and things like that. Yes, there were times in the other books that I summarized. I liked the heads up notes that Marie has about some of the chapters in some books.

I read those book to my oldest when she was 8 y.o and there were parts that she didn't understand each detail. I wasn't worried. I don't mind reading out loud a little bit over the heads of my kids. It helps with lots of language arts. They don't have to understand everything in order to get lots of benefit this time around. They'll get more in 5 years, but that doesn't mean they will not get much this time.

I wouldn't expect a 6 y.o to get too much. But they'll enjoy being invited to sit and listen.
Last year, some parts went over my 10 y.o's head (she's my average kid), but she really enjoyed the story anyway. She got lots out of it because the Holy Spirit did the work.

I found it helpful to let her do some of her John 3:16 coloring sheets and stuff like that while I was reading. Or at least having a map to follow the adventures.

that's just what I did. hope something might help as you decide what works for you.

-crystal

TammyB

Re: Question about the missionary biographies in ECC

Unread post by TammyB » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:47 pm

I definitely think Cameron Townsend is the hardest of the set. As someone on here once said, "Great man. Dry read." :) I think you will find Amy, Gladys, and George to be much easier and much more interesting to your kids. I am reading George to my 9 and 7 year olds right now, and they love it. (Last year I read Amy and Gladys to my then eight year old, and he loved both of them.) I haven't decided yet if I will include my seven year old daughter in Nate or David. I think Nate will upset her terribly and David will likely as well.

I have found the biographies to be well worth working through the difficult parts. Sometimes I have felt like I was bogged down in them, but the benefit has always outweighed the difficulties.

Tammy

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks Crystal and Tammy! We'll keep plugging away! I agree that reading material "over their heads" is good for them too! Helps to know we're not the only ones that struggled with this one! :)
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

sarajoy

Unread post by sarajoy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 pm

Keep going with the "reading over their heads." Just today my 6yo dd had a dentist appt. so I thought I would read ahead a little on Cameron Townsend with my 8yo dd while 6yo was with the dentist. However, when she saw that was my plan as I grab the book to bring it in, she protested greatly that she would miss hearing more about Cam. I was surprised she cared that much about the reading of this one. I thought it was totally over her head. Shows what I know... ;)

SJ

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Irmi,
I also am glad you're going to stick it out. Like Sarajoy, I was surprised by the impact. I found -

- My son expressed awe at hearing someone had "met Cameron" -- indicating he was changing his idea of who a hero was!

- A main message that will reverberate throughout your years with MFW was the moment when the man said that God should be able to speak to him in his own heart language.

- The gentle, long life of Cameron will help your child handle the tragedy of Nate Saint. He will already know that not all missionaries have such a tragic fate.

- Cameron will be one of those missionaries whom *other* missionary stories will mention, including his training school. It's fun when you feel like you know who they are talking about!

Julie

gratitude

Christian Heroes: Then and Now

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Bandy wrote:What age range (read-aloud) would you say these books are geared for? Or, what age range did you/are you using these books with? Thank you very much!
I heard David Hazel say on a CD that he used them as young as 2nd grade as read-alouds, and that they are written at a 5th grade reading level.

We read George Mueller for SL Core 1 (we did a little of this Core before switching) and I was doing it with a 6 & 5 year old at the time (K & pre-K) - were they really that young? Anyways, I had to skip the first 4 chapters for my 6 year old. Part way into the first chapter he asked to skip ahead. I had told him about George Mueller, so he was interested, but didn't like the start. So I skipped the father abuse & college drinking & jail and off we went with chapter 5. My oldest still quotes the book. The rest of the story was just wonderful.

The rest of the series I am waiting for ECC.

Blessings,

cbollin

ECC with 3rd and 1st ... missionaries?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:53 am

erin.kate wrote:Hi there,

This year we are doing Adventures with my second grader and my Kindergartner. Looking ahead to ECC next year, I am torn. I believe my then 3rd grader to be mildly ready for the missionary stories, but my then 1st grader is very little (she'll be 6). I don't feel quite right about teaching about martyrdom and such when my girls are still rooting their faith.

Also, I will be using the phonics wb and the Bible stories/notebook/reader from MFW 1 with Viola (rising 1st grader). I will also have MFW K running with a severely delayed adopted son, and a 3yo keeping us all extra busy.

So, can someone talk to me about why using ECC, in full, with the missionary stories at this age (namely my 3rd grader) is recommended by MFW and by you moms who've done this already with young kids. I am comfortable dropping the stories for my 1st grader, but if I don't use them for either of my girls then I'm struggling with what the point is to ECC at all, and spending the money, since the heart of it seems to be world geography through missions. Maybe do a gap year and then CTG and let ECC come around when my girls are older, but then my boys are young. Aaah. :-) We've been with MFW from the start and we love it, just need to feel good about this upcoming year through more understanding.

Thanks so much!
I'm not going to write very well today. :) incomplete thoughts, etc...... but don't assume I'm tossing tomatoes either. ;)

*You can skip them. I agree that with 1st grader, you'd probably use other read alouds.

*If you prefer to use other materials do so. Anything in deluxe is optional. I still think you will get a lot of the heart of ECC in the basic with Window on the World and prayer, and Hero Tales, God Speaks Nummangang, But the heart - loving others, living for the Lord, praying for others...... that's in the Basic. Deluxe is optional.

*I'm not in agreement that the missionary stories in ECC are all about "martyrdom". Yes, Nate Saint one is. But the others? hmm... I'm struggling here.... what have I forgotten? Amy and Gladys die in their old age. David Livingstone - people usually get "hyper" (can't think of a nice word for it) because he was a bad dad by our standards in 21st century homeschooling. George Muller - I barely remember his story... Cam Townsend.

*I read these to my oldest when she was in 2nd grade and 7th grade and my middle gal in 4th. I filtered a little bit. I know with my oldest in Amy Carmichael I subbed out the word "temple prostitute" and said "temple slave". Same difference. With middle gal, I didn't sub the word.

*If you don't want to use the books, it's ok. Select other things for read aloud from book basket. You could even get the very young poetic versions of same people if you prefer. see ywam's site for that.

*They live their lives for God. With exception of Nate Saint, they aren't being slaughtered or shot or whatever. Marie gives heads up notes in the manual to preview or skip sections of chapters such as "the train trip" in Gladys Alyward where she meets a lady who tells a story about why her fingers are missing. But MFW warns you on that.

Nate Saint - MFW gives preview notes and heads up notes and talks about how to handle the end of the story which is a wow story of forgiveness and just wow. If you decide to skip the book, you can read the notes in the manual to yourself and ask God how you should/shouldn't do it.

If you prefer to not do the missionary biographies, you will still have a lot of the heart of ECC in basic. On the other hand, if you want to use stuff other than mfw, that's ok too.

The other "read aloud" in ECC deluxe - Kingdom Tales. Use that. :) It is a great adventure and great devotional. It's clear who the bad guy is and that he doesn't do things "The King's way". other people shun the genre. You decide for you.

here are some links that you may or may not have seen... (and they go for multiple pages so when you're at the bottom click to next page)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2042
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5077
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3173
so that's if you use them.... my oldest was fine in 2nd grade with them. (that was way back in the years before ADV was written)

and like I said already.. if you don't... there' s a lot of heart in the basic with other resources.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: ECC with 3rd and 1st ... missionaries?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 am

We came to MFW in 3rd grade and went to ECC. My daughter loved the missionary stories. Only Nate Saint has anyone being killed for their faith - but the T.M. preps you for that. David Livingstone does get attacked by a lion. My daughter is very sensitive, but she really got into the stories. Some are a little slow moving (Cam Townsend), some don't go the way you expect (David Livingstone), but they all show people who have a heart for spreading God's word to people who are looked down on by "society." But, if you are worried about it, skip the deluxe package and just by the base package. It is still a very complete program.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 am

fast answer ---

pre-read the bios, and then decide how to prep your oldest before you read them aloud. I learned that I had to give my dd more credit, though, she was able to handle a lot more than I thought.

And George Mueller? Family favorite! My dd has re-read it on her own at least 2-3 times.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 am

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I'm not qualified to answer. I haven't done ECC (but I'm itching to). I don't know the content of what's offered in the read-alouds.

What I wanted to say is that I do believe that there is a real place in sharing missionary stories, even for very young children. I have always wanted Gail to know that serving Christ is about much more than just what we usually see here in America. So we've always read missionary stories, starting with Paul. ;) We help support three Gospel For Asia national missionaries who face persecution and trials daily, and she knows what they face and prays for them. We share some stories and pictures when appropriate from publications like Voice of the Martyrs, so she will know that not all Christians have it as easy as we do here. She is filled with love and compassion for these people she has never even seen and will not meet in this life, and it helps her see the full picture that we see in the Bible... not everyone loves Jesus. Some even hate Him and hate His followers. But Jesus died for those people, too, and we should pray for them.

I suppose that what we hope is that when she does (we pray) come to Christ, she will come knowing the good (peace, forgiveness, eternal life, a better way to live, etc) as well as the not-so-good (possibility of persecution, being pointed out as different, being asked by God to do the hard things).

I remember a young boy in our AWANA Sparks class, just turned seven years old. He had just recently accepted Christ and was toying around with the idea of becoming a missionary when he grew up, just because he loved Jesus that much. Our Sparks leader was doing a devotional about forgiveness, and she told the story of Nate Saint. I watched this boy's sweet face as he heard the story... it affected him deeply. He asked hard questions... why didn't God protect Nate? Why did the people not believe at first? Why... why... why? But afterward, this young boy came forward to the leader and told her how much he appreciated hearing about Nate, and how now he wanted to be a missionary more than ever. She was a little surprised at this and asked, "But why, after just hearing about how this man was killed?" His answer floored us:

"If people don't see that we care about Jesus that much... enough to die, even.... then why would they want to hear about Him and be saved? If Nate had gone to these people and told them about Jesus and then left safe and happy, would they have ever become Christians? Probably not, just like most people here in America aren't really Christians. And would we be talking about Nate today and learning about him? Probably not."

The leader interjected: "Yes, you're right."

The boy continued:
"It would be like people today who might go to church and talk about God sometimes, but their friends don't care because they don't see anything different about them. But the people in the story about Nate, those people who were so mean and cruel, they saw that Nate was willing to die for Jesus, so they realized how important Jesus must be. And then they saw how Nate's family would even forgive them after that awful thing they did, and that is why they believed. And that's what I want to do, to be willing to even die for Jesus so others will see that He is the most important thing ever, more important than our life or even our family." !! !! !!

That's what I want Gail to learn, too... that "Jesus is the most important thing ever"... and that lesson can be learned by hearing some of the missionary stories. I'm not saying that I don't edit some things when I read to Gail... I do sometimes leave out graphic or gory details. For example, "they killed him" is fine with me in place of, "they slowly burned him alive." I just want to make sure she knows that the person was willing to die for Jesus, as He was willing to die for us.

I know that every family will have different feelings about this... and I don't mean to offend at all. But I just wanted to say that I believe missionary stories have a place, even from a very early age. They are one of the main reasons I am so much looking forward to ECC!!!!! I even showed the catalog page to my husband and said excitedly, "Look, missionary stories and global prayer and evangelism focus! For THIRD GRADE! This looks great!!!" :-)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Shawna ~ Your enthusiasm and spirit alone sells me. :-) Yes, they do have a place, for certain, but I want to make sure that my girls don't become afraid of loving Jesus at all costs. At 6 and 8 that's a weighty devotion. It is one that I want them to have and to cultivate, but I also want to protect their hearts if that is necessary. Pre-reading and the notes in the TM will preserve that innocence while still growing their love for Christ and the people of the world. We are a family quite involved in missions work, namely in Africa, and we just came home with our 5yo from Ethiopia, as well. My girls have learned first hand as well that not everyone loves Jesus and that it is our duty to pray for them and for their hearts. They are compassionate, and show immense goodness daily with their little brother who was among the very least of these and nearly died from poverty and abuse and is not the easiest to love. ;)
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:And George Mueller? Family favorite! My dd has re-read it on her own at least 2-3 times.
Hi Cyndi, I have heard that George Mueller is a beloved story. Thank you!
cbollin wrote:*You can skip them. I agree that with 1st grader, you'd probably use other read alouds.

*If you prefer to use other materials do so. Anything in deluxe is optional. I still think you will get a lot of the heart of ECC in the basic with Window on the World and prayer, and Hero Tales, God Speaks Nummangang, But the heart - loving others, living for the Lord, praying for others...... that's in the Basic. Deluxe is optional.

*I'm not in agreement that the missionary stories in ECC are all about "martyrdom". Yes, Nate Saint one is. But the others? hmm... I'm struggling here.... what have I forgotten? Amy and Gladys die in their old age. David Livingstone - people usually get "hyper" (can't think of a nice word for it) because he was a bad dad by our standards in 21st century homeschooling. George Muller - I barely remember his story... Cam Townsend.

*They live their lives for God. With exception of Nate Saint, they aren't being slaughtered or shot or whatever. Marie gives heads up notes in the manual to preview or skip sections of chapters such as "the train trip" in Gladys Alyward where she meets a lady who tells a story about why her fingers are missing. But MFW warns you on that.

The other "read aloud" in ECC deluxe - Kingdom Tales. Use that. :) It is a great adventure and great devotional. It's clear who the bad guy is and that he doesn't do things "The King's way". other people shun the genre. You decide for you.
All that you said here, Crystal, was immensely helpful. Just what I needed to hear. I appreciate your time in writing all of this. I need to look at the whole picture, not the itty bitty things that will probably all be just fine anyway.

So all that to say thank you so much for your thoughts. I think that it will be quite doable to teach ECC in full and filter some for the younger of my girls.

Many blessings and thank you again for such a heartfelt response. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes, I still come here some even though I 'choose' to put ECC aside for a second grader. After all the MFW board is a lovely place for home school ideas.

I think your question really depends on the child, the child's sensitivities, the child's emotional & spiritual sensitivities, and probably even how the parents handle tough/real life issues.

One thing you could do is get the younger poetic versions with ADV for this year and see how the girls do. My oldest read all of them last year with ADV on his own. He did say Nate Saint was too much and put it aside. This is so child dependent. The child in the post above was turned onto missions by Nate Saint; it varies so much. God has a different plan for every child, and I think their responses will partly depend on His plan for them.

When ECC arrived he did pick up Gladdys and read parts of it and said it was too old for age 8. This is my son though; other children at 8 would love the book.

As for George Mueller. I read it when my children were 6, 5, 3, & 1. I skipped the first four chapters and the rest they absolutely loved (at least the oldest two).

I have emphasized innocence though as a parent. Reality, but innocence. I just wanted to make sure they were ready 'emotionally' to handle the tough side of life when it came. This is so different for every child.

You know your girls best. I am sure that you will know what to do. For us we have laid ECC missions aside for awhile. But it can come in other forms. There is a book on 26 cultures who are Bibleless people that is wonderful for young children, and an opportunity to pray. There are plenty of books to introduce missions, and World Vision catalogues are a great way to introduce the needs in the world for gifts, or any time. Then all the serving opportunities in every city.. on and on it goes. As Crystal mentioned though the basic package would be a wonderful introduction to missions in ECC, and would allow you to do ECC without the parts that concern you.

Prayers for your decision.

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for understanding! I know from your previous posts and looking at your blog that your family has a heart for the world... just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject of children and missions/martyrs. Glad you took it in the spirit in which it was intended! :)

Gratitude, is the book you mentioned Akebu to Zapotec: A Book of Bibleless Peoples? I have heard of this and wanted to read this... is it included in ECC? I should just look this up on my own, but i really should be cooking supper right now, not reading about a book that may or may not be in a curriculum which comes three years down the road from where we are now in school.

Or posting on here.... :~

Gotta cook!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey Carin,
nice to "see" you. I knew you had switched to another great program out there. I have to say I'm just glad to see you over here just to be able to say hi. I was thinking of you the other day. the reality is - it's not curriculum that connects our hearts. It's just that curriculum gives us meeting opportunities among other homeschoolers. Christ is our connection. Homeschooling is our connection. curriculum is a tool. Merry Christmas. (((hugs))) -crystal

and Shawna, I liked your post and story. :)
anyway....
Carin and I mentioned the poetic versions of YWAM books... Geared for younger students. check ywam's site on that. heroes for young readers. and it's done in poem form.
Akebu to Zap. is not in MFW program.

Some mfw resources on Bibleless peoples: God's Word for the Nations.
go here
http://www.gwftn.org/
pick a prayer need each month. visit it. goodness.. smacking my own forehead here! why don't we here on the board start a reminder thread on the 1st of each month to one of the projects ! I mean, they rotate some of the focus pictures on the mfw main site, but... why not?

also in ECC, there is a book called God Speaks Nummangang. It is gentle approach to missions intro for young families.

(in general to random person reading)
do pray - we're all individuals and God knows best. it could be that timing of novels isn't best for all people. it could be read and take it slowly.

do pre read... grab some tissue boxes for pre reading time. I forget which post it was I linked to, but I mentioned tissue box on this one, cried like crazy on that one... I even remember not being able to finish Gladys on the last page.. had to hand it to someone else to read. I was a mess crying and sobbing... it was one of those you cry and its beautiful moments.
oh, that one was not dying for Jesus... but living abundantly for him and trusting in the hardships.

-crystal

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 pm

gratitude wrote:Yes, I still come here some even though I 'choose' to put ECC aside for a second grader. After all the MFW board is a lovely place for home school ideas.

I think your question really depends on the child, the child's sensitivities, the child's emotional & spiritual sensitivities, and probably even how the parents handle tough/real life issues.
Carin ~ You know how much I love you and respect your ideas, thoughts, and experiences. You also know my heart and hopes well. It's so good to "see" you here. I concur with Crystal! Yes, I need to think outside the box too when it comes to missions and our worldview and serving ... life is bigger than our curriculum, but I sure find myself tightly connected to it, and to all of you! I appreciate your thoughts after reading the ywam bios, too. Thank you sweet friend.
cbollin wrote:gI even remember not being able to finish Gladys on the last page.. had to hand it to someone else to read. I was a mess crying and sobbing... it was one of those you cry and its beautiful moments.
oh, that one was not dying for Jesus... but living abundantly for him and trusting in the hardships.
I loved reading this: "Not dying for Jesus ... but living abundantly for him and trusting in the hardships." our.life.right.now. Thanks, Crystal. But yes, lots of pre-reading (good thing we already have the ywam bios on hand ... maybe I'll bring one with me for our Christmas "vacation").
cbollin wrote:Carin and I mentioned the poetic versions of YWAM books... Geared for younger students. check ywam's site on that. heroes for young readers. and it's done in poem form.
Akebu to Zap. is not in MFW program.

Some mfw resources on Bibleless peoples: God's Word for the Nations.
go here
http://www.gwftn.org/
pick a prayer need each month. visit it. goodness.. smacking my own forehead here! why don't we here on the board start a reminder thread on the 1st of each month to one of the projects ! I mean, they rotate some of the focus pictures on the mfw main site, but... why not?

also in ECC, there is a book called God Speaks Nummangang. It is gentle approach to missions intro for young families.
Crystal ~ Thank you! Love your idea ... let's get it going. :-) Excellent. I'm really piqued by God Speaks Nummangang. I wish I could see this at a conference or something. Maybe in the spring. And, Shawna, so did I. Have a great night, ladies.
Yodergoat wrote:Thanks for understanding! I know from your previous posts and looking at your blog that your family has a heart for the world... just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject of children and missions/martyrs. Glad you took it in the spirit in which it was intended! :)

Gratitude, is the book you mentioned Akebu to Zapotec: A Book of Bibleless Peoples? I have heard of this and wanted to read this... is it included in ECC? I should just look this up on my own, but i really should be cooking supper right now, not reading about a book that may or may not be in a curriculum which comes three years down the road from where we are now in school.
Shawna ~ I only read good things from you. No worries at all. I love to hear stories of children moved by missions. We hope to be full time in Africa within a couple of years. I have a soft spot in my heart for many of the people we met and have come to love in Ethiopia and I'd love to see the Bible brought to my son's tribe, his daddy and brothers and sisters in their remote language ... someday I pray ... but I still seem to want to shelter my girls a bit longer. But, as Crystal said, and said so well, it is the life lessons of living abundantly for Christ versus the martyrdom. Oh, and that is an excellent book. Excellent. Hope you had a great supper. Talk soon.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:33 pm

cbollin wrote:Hey Carin,
nice to "see" you. I knew you had switched to another great program out there. I have to say I'm just glad to see you over here just to be able to say hi. I was thinking of you the other day. the reality is - it's not curriculum that connects our hearts. It's just that curriculum gives us meeting opportunities among other homeschoolers. Christ is our connection. Homeschooling is our connection. curriculum is a tool. Merry Christmas. (((hugs))) -crystal
-crystal
Merry Christmas Crystal! Oh, I feel so good and warm talking to you again. I have missed this board. I agree with you that Christ and homeschooling is indeed the connection that connects our hearts; the curriculum is the tool. This board though is a very special place for those heart connections. The MFW curriculum is special too.
Yodergoat wrote:Gratitude, is the book you mentioned Akebu to Zapotec: A Book of Bibleless Peoples? I have heard of this and wanted to read this... is it included in ECC? I should just look this up on my own, but i really should be cooking supper right now, not reading about a book that may or may not be in a curriculum which comes three years down the road from where we are now in school.
I haven't used Sonlight in quite sometime, but the last Core I ever ordered from them had the book Abeku to Zapotec in it. It was one of the books that I kept when I returned Core B. Wonderful book. So is the one in ECC: God Speaks Nummangang.
erin.kate wrote:Carin ~ You know how much I love you and respect your ideas, thoughts, and experiences. You also know my heart and hopes well. It's so good to "see" you here. I concur with Crystal! Yes, I need to think outside the box too when it comes to missions and our worldview and serving ... life is bigger than our curriculum, but I sure find myself tightly connected to it, and to all of you! I appreciate your thoughts after reading the ywam bios, too. Thank you sweet friend.
Merry Christmas Erin.kate! It is wonderful to see you here. Your blog is still one of my great inspirations for home schooling! :-)

While I am here I have to tell you Julie that my ds8 somehow lost his pencil allergy! :-) Well, handwriting still isn't his favorite thing, but he can now write a reasonable amount for 2nd grade. Thank you for ALL of your encouragement during my years of 'oral' home schooling. I never worried about it because of you, and one day he started picking up the pencil more. Still not an avid pencil user, but enough.

I never did figure out if ECC was too advanced for my ds, or if he just wasn't emotionally ready.. but this year didn't seem quite right for it. I admire you Crystal for doing it with a 2nd grader. Wow!
cbollin wrote:remember though.... back in those days... there wasn't Adventures. And it took me several weeks to realize (giggling at myself) that "advanced" did not mean 2nd grade. LOL! laughing at my memories. I'm totally serious... Julie is laugh at me. but that's ok. LOL. Oldest was "advanced" right? she was reading and she was smart and ... well.. and... so when I saw those "advanced" notes in the grid, I said "oh, that means my kid". that poor child during those first 5 or so weeks... sigh........

and the deluxe books? I think she saw them as adventure stories. and mommy cries while reading aloud.

and if POE had been around, I know I would have not done well with it back then. It seemed easy by the time middle gal was 4th grade though. But I can imagine that I would have struggled with it way back...

(((hugs))) glad to see you around here too.
-crystal
Ahh.. that is probably why they wrote ADV. So my real mix-up was doing MFW 1 K - early 1st, and ADV 1st - early 2nd. Oh well. Like you said ds at just 6 was advanced and ready for MFW 1. Right? 8[] LOL. Well he could read some, but still...

I still think ECC is an incredible program.. just a little maturity needed over here. Maybe for mom too. ;) Spending more and more time on the basics of Bible & the 3R's & Apologia science is actually good for them for now. Laughing with you with the advanced first born. Don't I know it.

Great board MFW.. what a blessing this place is. :-)

In Christ,
Carin
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momxnine

ECC and Missionary Biographies

Unread post by momxnine » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:44 pm

kbircher wrote:Hello!
I have a young 7 DD who is going to be starting ECC in the fall. She is very sensitive. (I kind of am too!!) I am very nervous about reading the missionary biographies to her at this point. I think in about 2-3 years she would be fine, but right now she has nightmares, and is very afraid of fires, volcanoes, tornadoes, and other irrational fears. We are working on this, talking about praying or trusting in God, I am concerned that this will make this worse. Seeing people who are working for God, have really bad things happen to them. Of course we are going to have to talk about this eventually.

I am thinking about getting the younger readers versions. Of course when we cycle back through she'll get them again. Any thoughts? Am I totally depriving her by not doing them this go around?
Have you looked at the YWAM biographies for younger ages? They are much shorter and much less detail. I'm using those for my grandchildren, ages 6 & 8, who are going through ECC. http://www.ywampublishing.com/c-71-hero ... aders.aspx
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Julie in MN

Re: ECC and Missionary Biographies

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:43 pm

I agree with both of you that the younger versions might be something to try. My ds didn't get a lot out of them, but in some families I've heard they are treasured. They are poetry and cover a lot of ground in a short space, in terms of a missionary's life achievements.

Don't forget that Hero Tales will do something similar - give you an overview of many Christian heroes in a very gentle way.

I might consider pre-reading the very first full-length missionary biography, on Cameron Townsend. It's pretty tame, in that he has a long life. He is in an earthquake but is not harmed. The reason i'd consider seeing if she could get anything out of it is that it introduces the idea that everyone in the world does not have the Bible in their own "heart" language (before Cameron, missions tended to teach folks how to read, but it was always the mainstream languages such as Spanish and English).

I have to admit that I'm a better-late-than-early gal, so take the following with that in mind. But after doing Adventures (which was written for grades 2-3), don't forget that you will be opening up a manual written for grades 3-8 now, and you will really have to keep an eye out for things that are too advanced. 7yo kids typically understand & remember far more of what they "do" than what they read or write, so keep them at the forefront.

And I might consider stretching ECC out for 2 years. Remember that the following year, she will be reading Biblical history, which includes some challenging topics at times, as well. Often early-starters find the topic of mature themes in literature becomes challenging just in general, and ECC allows kids to spend more time exploring fun books about cultures, fairy tales from around the world, and different biomes and their animals.

Meanwhile, math and language arts tend to be the focus at age 7 anyways. Even for an early reader like my youngest (taught himself to read fluently before kindergarten), I found that it was a mistake not to spend a typical amount of time just absorbing the alphabet (for later alphabetization) or the rules of phonics (for later approaching completely unfamiliar words that aren't heard in general conversation). I know there are a few very academically mature kids out there, but in our case, we had to go back and do those in 3rd grade because I didn't realize until then what had been missed in terms of early language arts, even though my son could read and talk like a much older child.

Here are some more threads that could be helpful:
Missionary bios with youngers http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5077
Similar series for history that might apply to missionary bios http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9039
Adapting for 2nd graers http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1174

Hope something in there helps you plan!
Julie