Schedule - Independent work in ECC

TurnOurHearts

Schedule - Independent work in ECC

Unread post by TurnOurHearts »

TriciaMR wrote:We will start ECC this fall, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

One thing with our previous textbooks is they have lots of worksheets - they call it seatwork. I use this time to do "preschool" activities with my boys (3.5 yo twins) for about 30 to 45 minutes. I'm hoping my boys will participate a little with ECC, but I also want to still have "preschool" time with them (they love it), and just with them. It doesn't seem to me that there is much "seatwork" time in ECC. Math certainly doesn't take us an hour (and she usually likes me right there while she does it), and most of the other things seem like I need to be there. Any suggestions?
Trish
I was thinking you could combine book basket (15 - 20 minutes of browsing/reading) & reading (15-20 minutes from current reader) for at least 30 minutes of independent time. Also, if you're doing cursive writing or Rosetta Stone for foreign language, you could build in more indy time for your child.

Also, if you're looking to start having individual school time with your preschoolers, your older child can let one of the younger ones select 1-2 books to have read-aloud time with, while you have one-on-one time with a preschooler. Your older child will get good read-aloud practice, each child will look forward to their special time with big brother/sister, and you will have individual time with each child. This is something that has really blessed my children & their mom!

HTH!
lyntley

Unread post by lyntley »

Independent times for us in ECC are copy work, Coloring pages, flag sticker book, There are crossword puzzles and word searches for some countries, as well as book basket time. We use this great site on the computer with free geography puzzles at: http://www.yourchildlearns.com/owlmouse.htm
Watch out though it's addicting. ;-)

I think you'll find once you get into ECC That a routine will eventually develop to get your preschool time too.
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley
TriciaMR

Re: ECC - Reading Assignments

Unread post by TriciaMR »

LynnH wrote:We are using 2nd edition ECC and will be in week 3 this coming week. I was wondering if you read along with your child/children the assigned books for the day or do you have them read each book themselves or do you read some books with them.

My dd is a great reader but some of the books she would rather I read with her. This would not be a problem but I often have a hard time juggling between reading with her and satisfying the needs of a 17 month old. Books like Maps and Globes are not an issue because they are simple to read but the more complex ones like Windows on the World, POE, and the World Atlas books contain much more info and I am not sure she would really get all there is to get if I have her read them by herself. We have split up some of the reading - like I'll read one page and then she the next. Just wondering how others handle the reading assignments.
Thanks,
Lynn Hammond
Those are meant to be read with your child. The Bible, Geography, and Science are "together" activities, although do let her try the experiments more on her own. (Or maybe dad can do science experiments with her on the weekend.) Perhaps a highchair with something for your 17 month old to do during those times?

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
dhudson

Unread post by dhudson »

You could have her read some of them on her own but I would definitely read Window on the World together . I like to make sure that all of Bible is done together. I think the more reading assignments you can do together the better in 3rd. Maybe you could read some of them when the 17 mo is taking a nap? At that stage, I would also read to them while having snacks, which kept all of them busy but still listening or had "school" only toys for the youngers while I taught my oldest. Sometimes, I would sit the little ones (I had younger twins) on one side of me with books of their own while I read with my ds.

I understand how difficult it can be - I had twins in K while we did ECC. :-) Make sure to go over the information with your oldest when she does read the books by herself.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002
sojen

Unread post by sojen »

I print a coloring sheet for my 2 year old to do while we do reading together. Just google coloring sheets and there are literally millions on the internet. I try to pick something he's interested in that day, whether it's bananas or dinosaurs. PBS kids has a bunch of good sheets too.He feels like he is doing school. I've also done reading with my 4th grader while she is working on an art project. That also seemed to help combine two things and I could schedule around naptime. Book basket- we try our best to find some of the books on tape from the library and listen to them in the car. You'd be surprised how much you can listen to just running errands around town.

Of course there are those days were I try my best to do school with a loud, overactive toddler- doesn't always work. ;)

Jen
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.
BHelf

Unread post by BHelf »

Also keep in mind, depending on the age/maturity level, some of the books (like Living World) I wouldn't have them read on their own without going through it first and marking out things like "millions of years ago" and such. [often listed in the teacher's manual]
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com
LynnH

Unread post by LynnH »

Thanks for all of your replies. I definetly need to do something different. When my baby is awake things are so unpredictable and I never know if he'll be occupied for a bit or needing mommy's attention. I am presently training dd to do what she can alone first thing in the morning. During his nap time we do math and usually have lunch but maybe we should have an earlier lunch so we can do math, any reading and activities while he is asleep. Gotta try something different before I go bonkers!
God Bless,
Lynn Hammond
Lynn H. in Louisiana
DD12 - used MFW K, 1st, Adv, ECC, Exp-1850
DS5 - MFW K
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

No toddlers here right now, but we have a 3 month old puppy distraction!! I read all of that to my children, but my 3rd grader is dyslexic and is still learning to read. So, last year, it seemed like I had more to read aloud to them in Adv. and I began doing Bible reading as we finish breakfast (usually I'm done eating first), and science or other read alouds during our morning snack and then more after lunch, if needed. The kids do like to do something quietly while they listen if there aren't a lot of pictures to look at (like POE).

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
TriciaMR

To Those Who Have Gone Before Me...Daily Schedule Help!

marsha617 wrote:I mostly combine subjects for my sons since they are 16 months apart. They will do ECC, PLL, Writing, and Math together. Spelling seems to be the only subject I feel like I need to do separately. Presently, ds9 is at a higher reading level and a better speller. So while I am working with each individually what should I have the other doing? Taking care of little brothers, finishing PLL assignment, Bible copywork, Complete Book of Animals??? I also want to encourage more independence. They still seem to need me for math (that's improving though) and writing. So how does one go about teaching more than one child at different levels? Thank you!

Marsha
For ECC, when I needed to spend time with other kids, my oldest did the following:

Science Page (we did Bible, Geography and Science first - and we had 1st edition, so science was different) if there was one
Awana Verses
Copy work (I may have had dd write out Awana verses, too)
Book Basket (this is a good one to have one child doing while working with another)
Math Drill (I used math windows, math wrap-ups, Quarter Mile Math, and Math-U-See's web site - rotating a different one each week)

So, your list looks good for things for them to do. If you are ready to have them have independent reading (rather than reading aloud to you), that's another option. Are you doing any foreign language? Rosetta Stone should be independent at the computer.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
NJCheryl

Re: To Those Who Have Gone Before Me...Daily Schedule Help!

Unread post by NJCheryl »

When I need to work with one child, the other does independent reading, copy work, their PLL or ILL assignment if it happens to be something they can do independently, WS assignment. I have learned to be flexible. I write each child's agenda for the day on our white board, but we don't follow the order - when a subject fits - we do it. Sometimes there are "waiting for mom" moments. I think those are a great lesson in patience! (If I know it will be a while I tell them they may have a short break).

Cheryl
schoolmom2

Unread post by schoolmom2 »

I had the same issue this year. I worked with one son on spelling while the other practiced his words on spellingcity.com. Then we would switch. It made it a lot smoother that way, and they liked the computer time.

Beth
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

I have to do reading/spelling and English separately with my kiddos. I have to work with my children for about a half hour each individually. They can do book basket or independent reading. My children also enjoy audio books on cd at this time. They also do a variety of things on the computer, including math drill (math U see online, multiplication.com, math blaster & Quarter Mile math), Typing Instructor, JumpStart programs, Starfall.com, etc. My dd likes to color or draw sometimes. My ds can even play with Legos or action figures if he has completed other things that he needs to do. I try to also rotate what they do at this time each day. They also go through different phases where they are really interested in one thing for one week and then another the following week.

During math, I usually have them work individually, but I am there to help. They are at different points in math so I try to take turns working with one child and then the other. Somedays neither one needs a lot of help, but some days they both need help! I have some games nearby that they can pull out while they are waiting, like logic puzzles (Rush Hour Jr. or Mind Benders book), animal patterns, Sudoku, or some of the math drill things mentioned above. I use workboxes and that helps to have individual work set out that I can direct them toward when they have to wait for me. I use these for assigning some of the things mentioned above, handwriting/copywork, and ECC stuff.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
Lisa M

Unread post by Lisa M »

You touched on several questions in your post - how do you teach several levels, what do you do with those that aren't working with mom, ideas for schedule, and how do you encourage independent work.

I've certainly wrestled with all of these in the past! And it does seem to come down to the one question - scheduling.
This was probably the hardest thing for me to work out in my home school - how do I schedule this? I couldn't find any one family's suggested schedule that fit with my age of kids, with the personalities we have, and the limited availability of Dad, etc... It took me a lot of years to come to terms with that and recognize the uniqueness of each family and the individuals within it. So I looked at LOTS of families' schedules to glean ideas on how to develop one that worked for ME and MY family. After many years, I have found that working the day in "blocks" helps to maintain the scheduling I am most comfortable with, while allowing for the reality of our disrupted lifestyle. We began this three years ago, and it changes little each year. So, I offer our schedule to give you another idea in your tool kit.

8-9:00 Family meeting, hymn (that we rarely get to actually doing, but it's a goal) and prayer time. Dismiss the high schooler and begin MFW 1 time. MFW 1 means its our first scheduled time to start working down the MFW list for the day, with Bible, history reading, vocabulary, etc. But we don't DO any independent work until we're done with all the items that require my time. We are often able to read the books, then write on the white board any homework (like notebook pages), and can often complete Art during this time.
9:00 - 10:30 Mom's Rotation time: This is three 1/2 hour blocks of time when each grade schooler has my time to assist with their grade level work, like spelling, math, or grammar. When they are not working with me, they are doing either music practice, Spanish, or other independent work.
10:30 - 11:15 Writing and Language arts (Some independent, some together - this is flexible depending on the curriculum I'm using for the year)
LUNCH
12:15 - 1:00 Independent work for younger kids, Mom available for High Schooler and additional help for grade schoolers.
1 - 2:00 MFW 2 time: Anything we didn't get to in the morning, science, art, fun projects

When my oldest was a grade schooler, she needed me for at least 30 to 45 minutes a day to work through every single math problem with her. She just didn't get it easily. So I kept trying to make a schedule to fit her special need for extreme time in that area. Looking back, we all would have benefited from the above schedule, where I give her a 30 minute Mom Time block, and then SET ASIDE what we didn't get to, so that I could give similar attention to the other three. Then, I needed to schedule a time later in the day for extra help. While she required a lot more of my time and effort, I can see where she actually pulled time I should have been using for the other kids. Learning from my past mistakes, I'm trying to be more evenly available now to all of my kids.
DD 8 yrs homeschool; Junior in PS
DD 2017 10 years homeschool; graduated 2 of 70
DS 2015 Homeschool Graduate; Four year college tuition scholarship
DD 2013 Valedictorian of tiny PS; 10 years home school
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Lisa M wrote: So I looked at LOTS of families' schedules to glean ideas on how to develop one that worked for ME and MY family.
In the interests of "lots" -- here are more to glean from !!
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3807

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 »

Everyone has given valuable info. I made a list of all the [independent] things to do and there is PLENTY!! Letter tiles or spellingcity.com is perfect. Thanks to all!

Marsha
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.
cbollin

Tell me about ECC?

Unread post by cbollin »

HeyChelle wrote:We're scheduled to order and begin ECC at the beginning of October and I'm wondering if I should... The boxed curriculum / interdependent subjects is working great with my son who seems to be tracking along in all subjects at about the same rate. And yes, we love the content of MFW. So don't think I'm down on MFW!!!

Just continuing to struggle with the my oldest who is so much faster at learning than I am at teaching. I'm really struggling with the boxed curriculum with my 9 yr old and wondering if we should switch out to independent subjects for my own peace of mind. She's an amazing reader and is very good at independent work. If I'm busy with schooling my littles, she just breezes through her work on ahead of me and then gets hung up waiting on me. I feel like I'm holding her back by asking her to wait on the curriculum. When we first got Adventures she asked to have the science books and promptly completed ALL the experiments in the first few weeks. She also read through all the book basket stuff that I had collected, as well as the history 'texts' that came with Adventures AND story of the world texts. So you can see how we are all out of balance with the TM?

I'm really thinking I could be more at peace having all the subjects separate. I love that Spanish, math and spelling are completely separate, yk? When it's time for spelling we pull out Spelling Power, then put it away when we are done. I could build a 4th grade curriculum for her and then we would be all "compartmentalized".

But! I'm "comfortable" with MFW and can't afford to make a curriculum purchase mistake.

So... ECC veterans, help me out here. Is ECC a bit more independent/compartmentalized for children like my daughter who just breeze through their work? I guess since I already have the math, spelling, and foreign language, I would only be buying History/Bible. So it's not unreasonable that I couldn't go back and buy ECC if that wasn't working. Ah - but that does make me feel disloyal to MFW. :~ ACK!
ECC does have some independent research stuff to do.

I'd suggest, if you aren't yet..... do the "group instruction" first, then dismiss oldest to do all of her independent work. That might mean that you do Bible and geography and science together. Then let her go on her own.

your oldest sounds somewhat like my oldest. I'm sorry (((hugs)) in advanced. I personally found that in my mind the MFW manual was just for certain subjects (and a place to record other stuff) and let oldest get to her stuff without me or do a lather rinse repeat on science things while I deal with youngers. other thing - help her learn what to do with her time to independently investigate cool to her stuff. and what to do with non structured time to have productive afternoon. it can be a "that's all you are to do today in school time.... find ways to expand it" go deeper or something.

part of me thinks your oldest sounds like my youngest ---- gets food from the store and thinks she has to eat the entire container that first day. I have to teach her some control and slow and steady.

I have no way of knowing if ECC will work for you. I can see ways to encourage that oldest child to do more book basket to stay on topic for the week, or go do only 3 pages from the research book. I'm not in the philosophy that says if you have a 9 y.o clip through a curriculum faster then it means they are advanced. opinions will vary.

have her read book basket again even if she got through everything in one day.

I'm not seeing how out of balance you are? I'm sorry I don't get. If she reads and repeats materials the next day, that's ok. As teacher I can "control" when a new topic is introduced for teaching time. If the child reads ahead, that just means she's better prepared for discussion or can write a paragraph on it while I read to the other child.

-crystal
Mallorie

Re: Tell me about ECC?

Unread post by Mallorie »

What about learning a skill that she could work on/hone while waiting for others, such as knitting or crochet, drawing, learning about electricity and wiring, needlepoint...the possibities are endless. If she's that much of a self-starter, i'd have her do her regular schoolwork, and then in between, during wait times, etc...let her work on other skills that are not related to curriculum.
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

HeyChelle wrote:Thanks for your input!

Right now I do group instruction geared to my little ones when we begin school in the AM - so Kindy Bible, calendar, Pledge, prayer time. Then my oldest goes off to do her math, reading, and Spanish while I do school with the littles. Then I finish up with my oldest. Maybe I could add her Bible in with them, since it's so short anyway.

Is she ahead? Yes, for sure. I should have done ECC last year, but wan't sure if I was ready. The history in Adventures was a nice refresher for her, from our second grade material (not MFW) but silly since she is going to go over US history yet again.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback while I think through all this.
just wanting to say I totally agree with Mallorie
and it applies no matter if you do ECC or something else. It seems to me from reading the situation, that even if you went with something else, you'd still have the same issue just with different materials.

That was one of the biggest things I did right with my oldest. I gave her skills to work on that weren't related to curriculum. One of them was crocheting. She even made one of her first baby bibs (oversized and not perfect) when Julie in MN's grandson was born and gave it to him. It was a gift to share. It was bigger than he was.. but still, come on... it was cute.

nowadays, she gets watching some school dvd's and gets the crochet hook going and has made this pretty baby blanket that she plans to donate to local pro life care center. Part of her "health class" this year was me adding in some dvd's on medical myths and half truths. So while she's watching those, she's doing something else with her hands. She was probably around 8 or so when she learned to crochet? She also learned to cross stitch. And I remember the year when she was in 6th grade and extremely "ahead" or "advanced" in math (finished Singapore 6B at mid year of 6th grade). We started by going into Saxon, then set it down. what was I thinking? She cross stitched and placed the items on an online auction to benefit a missionary we were supporting. One year, she was so ahead of the game, that I encouraged her to do a read a thon to support Bible translation. She raised close to $600 dollars for that. wow. not bad. quick way to "restore" the balance of the curriculum pace.

We encouraged her to enjoy computer study and doing graphic design. Well, now she's using those skills as a student leader at church. She's been designing banners for the classrooms, and doing fabric painting projects. She's done some other design projects for high school pastor. and giggle giggle... caught the spelling mistakes on the "student leader handout". LOL LOL

of course there were plenty of times that she'd read ahead in ECC or CTG, or RTR, or EX1850 or 1850MOD.... so what? I didn't check it off too early because I"m teacher and record keeper.

I don't know if ECC or \is what God is planning for you to use.
I just know this much....... if we hadn't used ECC, as a mom, I would not have been thinking along the lines of "what else other than school can my advanced kiddo do to serve the Kingdom and be more prepared for service?" There were little things - from Bible translation in ECC, to reading missionary biographies, to just these little seeds planted each year in other programs.

don't get me wrong.. my oldest is intense personality, not this sweet little perfect homeschooling child.

anyway.... I hope that explains a bit more where my input comes from. I don't know if from a logistics point of view if MFW is the right tool. But if you feel like God is saying it's the tool to use, I hope some of my experiences with similar situations and personalities and such can be of use to you to use that same tool.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

HeyChelle wrote:Just continuing to struggle with the my oldest who is so much faster at learning than I am at teaching.
Hi Chelle,
I can see you've a lot to think through, and a lot of wonderful kids to raise up. I'll just throw some more thoughts into the mix.

1. If you have at least two kids in ECC, then I can't see how getting yet another "social studies" curriculum will make your day easier. Couldn't your oldest do *another* subject independently, one that is more to her liking and less *essential* to your involvement? I know when my oldest was in public school around 2nd or 3rd grade, he asked the teacher if he could write extra reports (usually on dinosaurs!), and he was also in a pull-out class where they often worked on "inventions," but he still did all the grade-level lessons in his classroom as well.

2. Doing some subjects as a family might not be your dd's cup of tea, but I personally think it's a wonderful family time and good lesson in cooperation and teamwork. Not all day, every day, but some.

3. At my house, *teaching* my own children Bible and history is one of the reasons I homeschool. I feel like handing them books on those topics is equivalent to letting someone else teach my children. I would have a hard time letting go of those teaching opportunities. They don't have to be lengthy, but I wanna be right there with them, showing them how important these things are to me.

4. Kinda related to #3, "breezing through" is something that means my kids aren't really getting the kinds of lessons I want for my kids -- thoughtful lessons, taught by an adult, raising the bar a bit each time, and pushing the child to really think. I know some kids are truly academically brilliant, I've worked with some of them, but I still think their maturity lags behind their abilities, so guidance becomes even *more* important, because they may end up able to read materials well ahead of their emotional readiness.

I'm thinking of kids I tutored who were in such advanced material that they were reading essays on Marxism when they were in 4th grade. Even though they could read all the words, they just weren't picking up the deeper content in those words on their own, and they didn't have the history background to evaluate what they read. I think the same idea can be applied to the ECC ideas, which are much gentler, but for example your dd may have an advanced ability to read a map on economic products and services by herself, but would benefit from an adult talking her through the content and thinking about comparisons with other countries, looking at the possible effects on another map of available natural resources, looking at the geographic map to see if the economics were affected by available warm water ports, etc. She might have that ability to race thru the maps, but I think only an adult can really help challenge a very young child while helping her gain an advanced understanding?

I can see from your blog how busy you are. To me, the choices would be (1) set aside some time each day and challenge your young dd (by teaching her), whatever program you use, or (2) let her run ahead in something less involved or less crucial, following her interests and bents -- creating a report or a science fair project or a detailed handcraft etc.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle »

Julie - Need to read through your post carefully later today...

When I say 'breezing through', I mean she is reading and comprehending. I can ask her what she read and talk to her about it. She can repeat (sometimes word for word) and then give you her thoughts, opinions, concerns or respond to questions. This is true for any subject, be it history, Bible, or science.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog
TriciaMR

Chelle,
My dd is not "advanced," but she is an excellent reader... :)

We did ECC with my two littles in Pre-K...

I started my days with ECC Bible, Geography, and Science. Then, there were usually notebooking pages, copywork and other "independent" stuff my dd could work on while I worked with my boys for a little "preschool" time. My boys also joined in on any science experiments.

My thoughts...

1. Don't let your dd have the books that you read together. You're the mom, you control the books. When my dd sees our curriculum boxes and asks if she can have the read alouds, I say, "Nope. We're going to read them together this year. I don't want you to know the ending before me!"

2. Agreeing with Crystal, so she reads ahead... You still read to the rest of the family and require her to listen.

3. There is some advanced work - like the geography worksheets - that you can have her do more independently, perhaps.

4. I understand a lot of people feel Properties of Ecosystems is really way over the younger crowd's head, and after you read the parts you want to read to your whole crowd, you give her the book and assigned pages to finish on her own.

5. Have her set up experiments and clean them up and do them with the younger crowd.

6. Get a Keepers of their Home book and go through it and pick out skills you want her to have. For example, knitting. The Keeper's book has 4 or 5 requirements: learn about the different types of yarn and their uses, learn about sizes of knitting needs and how that affects stitch sizes, reading patterns, learning the knit stitch, learning the purl stitch, and making a project. Have her make a notebook where she keeps track of these things and take pictures of her finished projects. Or, join 4-H and do that stuff.

7. Add typing and music to her days. (Meaning piano lessons or something.)

8. Add service projects... make cards for shut ins, etc.

I have a friend who has a very advanced dd. Can comprehend and give opinions and asks hard questions and everything. She still needs age-appropriate materials. I don't mind my 6th grader learning about communism/marxism, but I might not want my 4th grader to...

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

I have one of those girls, too.

When we did ECC, my dd certainly read ahead at times. I had to give up being upset by that a long time ago - like when she was 4yo and read the entire new Children's Bible I wanted to read one story from each night. Those kinds of kids are going to do that. But when they do, they "skip" or "substitute" words they don't know subconsciously and are *not* learning the new word. My dd reads a LOT of books. If I go back through one with her, she may have totally understand the content of the book, but missed the vocabulary and that's my chance to explain it, expand it, and have her learn it.

Doing ECC (or any program) is like that, IMO. There are a lot of times when *I* want to be the one that is teaching my dd a subject, especially when it comes to religion or belief systems. There are many other religions introduced in ECC as you are learning about other cultures and praying for them - that is not something that is a hand-off subject to me. Even if my dd read ahead, I stayed on track with doing daily lessons and *teaching* her those things even if she had already been exposed to them by reading about them. I don't just want to fill her head with knowledge, I want to help promote Godly wisdom and a Biblical Worldview.

So to try to answer your question - You are the one in charge of compartmentalizing ECC. Hide the books you don't want her reading without you on a high shelf. (Yes, I had to do that.) Use the ECC grid and write time limits on it. For this 15 minutes, we are going to do your geography lesson. When you're done, you're done. Go read through the book basket for 15 minutes. You have to run the schedule. I have to run a tight schedule and lead into the next subject at our house or my dd would take over in a heartbeat and do school her way everyday. I teach her according to her bent, but this is also an opportunity for her to learn submission and respect.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
HeyChelle

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:You are the one in charge of compartmentalizing ECC.
Bingo. That's what I wanted to know. Can I dissect and compartmentalize ECC without completely re-creating the TM? I'm just not sure I like schooling by a built in schedule, especially for dd. I don't want to slow down her flow of interest in one subject for the sake of another - as long as she's getting in her daily reading/writing/math/foreign language. For my 6 yr old, that built in schedule is working great. He's finally ready for kindergarten (tried to start him too early and had to back off) and we are just loving MFW kindergarten.

I do LOVE that my dd reads ahead. I have no interest in slowing her down by keeping her on schedule. Now Bible, we always do that together. I would never send her off to study other religions on her own. If she wants to do every science experiment in the first 3 days, great. If she wants to read through every book basket history book (which I have hand selected) in the first month, great. I can get always get more or she can read them again.

I'm sure I'm being a pest now. I feel like I ask this same question re: my daughter every year. :Head smack: I do truly appreciate all the ideas bounced around here as I continue to consider all angles. And, of course, I'm still praying about it, I just haven't found a clear answer yet. In the past I've just thought the problem was me and that I needed to get more organized and tighten up the schedule/discipline each year. Well we're in starting our fifth year of homeschool for her and maybe I need to actually be more flexible and go with our own schedule.

The Keeper of the Home and knitting - that's a great idea. We can't afford piano/music lessons right now, nor do we have space for a keyboard. But she's on team with gymnastics, swims, and is grudgingly testing out soccer. She'll be on swim team next year, but will likely never touch a soccer ball again when these 8 weeks are up. :-) Her current service project is raising money for the water filters that Compassion International is organizing. Knitting... yep, great idea. Thanks! We might even be able to tie that into her service project... I taught myself by watching knittinghelp.com videos, so maybe that would work for her?
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

Yes, you can compartmentalize the program any way you see fit. I think you'll have the same issue if you use something else.
I do LOVE that my dd reads ahead. I have no interest in slowing her down by keeping her on schedule.
I have never felt that I slowed down my oldest by keeping her lessons on that same reading tied to the schedule. She reads ahead. But we do the lessons on schedule. does that difference help any that yes, MFW can be done with a child who reads ahead? Now, if she forgets stuff? that tells me she needs to read again.

my oldest has used mfw since 2nd grade. She's in 10th now. in WHL. Right now she's learning that she has to pace herself to make sure her other subjects get done too. She'll hyper focus on reading stuff and neglects all of the other things. She's finally realizing that stopping when told to stop might be a good thing.

And while it may not matter too much in 2nd or 3rd grade to bunch a week worth of science experiments at once -- this is another part of my story of doing something wrong when I thought it was ok......
*they need to do lab reports in jr. high and high school. psst.... even in ADV they were suppose to do them too.... so if you bunch up your labs on the weekend (and we do that)... they can spend the other days in the science time doing their writing assignments from the experiments. In other words, yes, encourage her to explore the science independently. Assign a due date for the lab reports so it matches the TM schedule. see the subtle difference?

you see... sometimes when we think we are not slowing them down by letting them work ahead, we skip essential skills and no matter how well intentioned we were (and yes I"m guilty here) we slow down the acquisition of the hidden skills in the manual that are on schedule.

so, please don't make the same mistake that we made..... ok? that's my heart in still typing here.
Have you read all of those times where Julie in MN talks about her son learned to read and phonics lessons were skipped? It's the same kind of thing here with science. Yes, kids love the hands on stuff! yes, you can do more than one experiment at a time. Use the other days to do the internet linked stuff, or to have them do their lab report on their own and make them turn it in on time. If they get all of the labs and reports done on time, buy them a science kit as a reward and incentive.

There's nothing wrong with getting ahead in some stuff as long as you are not skipping the skills that are done in the week too. Does that make any sense of what I'm trying to share?

My oldest would grab book basket and read it all. I didn't slow her down. She could read ahead (I usually brought home 3 weeks at a time).
She still groups all of her lab time in one day - usually at the end of the apologia module. Then, she's stuck trying to keep her lab notebook up on time each week.

It's perfectly fine to feed their interest and encourage reading.

so really the question is:
which program do you really want to do?
yes, you can flex the schedule and multi teach to 2 or 3 very different students. been there, done that...... my oldest and middle are night and day differences. ......

-crystal
HeyChelle

The more I read through everyone's posts, the more and more I thought that I FOR SURE wanted to move away from MFW and pull together my own schedule and materials for her. I even bought 4th grade Truth in Science after reading Julie's post cause that's how convinced I was about putting my own schedule together. Then you have to go ahead and post this common sense stuff. :-) I'm right back to being undecided. I have a good month to read over all the comments here and pray about it.