Combining ECC and younger child learning to read

NJCheryl

A question about curriculum choices

Unread post by NJCheryl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:20 am

Catherine Hart wrote:I am wanting to find out whether it is going to be too difficult to run grade one and exploring countries and cultures (for a grade 2). I would do adventures but we are Australian and it seems too much to do a whole year of Amer. History. Wanting to know where I can post this question.
Regards Catherine Hart.
Hi Catherine. I think you could do it. I did 1st and ECC together last year, however my child in ECC was a 4th grader. It worked well for us. Since you would be doing ECC with a 2nd grader it would be a little lighter than with a 4th grader, so I think it would work. We had a great year and are looking forward to starting CG in 2 weeks.

Cheryl

doubleportion

Re: A question about curriculum choices

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 am

I think you could easily do ECC and 1st. You can adjust the work load based on your child's academic needs and age. The TM has lots of pointers on what should be done with younger students versus advanced student (ie 4th grade and older). I think you will really enjoy it! We did ECC last year. If you want to see an overview of our weeks in ECC you can see them at my blog. http://quietlyrunningtheracehomeschooli ... chive.html All my ECC posts are in April.

Hope that might help you to decide.

Edie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 am

Here's a post from the past with a plan for using ECC in your situation:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 076#p45076

I did ECC with a 3rd grader and I think it could be fun in 2nd, too. The focus is on exploring and praying for the world, without anything worrisome such as wars. And as you go through the continents, you will develop a pattern that would be easy to repeat with extra countries, in order to spread out ECC and delay moving ahead at too young an age. Here are some extra ideas on that:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5018

Sorry for all the links - I go a little overboard sometimes :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm

We did First Grade with my six year old and ECC with my 3rd grader last year and it went well. We cut out most of the first grade science and had my first grader join in on all of the ECC stuff that he wanted to, which was most of it. We'll do first grade three more times, so I didn't feel that bad about missing it though.
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

Catherine Hart

Unread post by Catherine Hart » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:28 am

Thank you all so much for your quick replies. We have loved doing kinder and grade 1 and are now happy to start grade one and ecc next year. What an amazing God given curriculum for us every day mums. I look forward to getting to know you wonderful ladies and gleaning from your experiences. God bless you.

cbollin

Scheduling my 4th and K'er...help!

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:41 pm

MelissaM wrote:This year I have a 4th grader, a K and a 1 year old. I spent a good part of the weekend modifying (streamlining, simplifying) my plans for 4th so that I could spend more/better time with all the kids. I blocked out several 20 minute blocks for my K (thinking that we'd get 10-15 minutes of work done in each of those blocks).

Sigh. Maybe this is the wrong day to post this, because I'm just so bummed about how everything went. I just don't know what happened. I do know that almost no schoolwork got done, and I'm totally discouraged.

So...for all of you who are smarter than I am...how do you schedule your kids who are in different grades/programs? What do you do with the littlest littles? TIA for any help!
Melissa
none of us are smarter than you. We might have had just as bad of a day. Or some days we just are more encouraged than you feel right now. (((hugs)))

It might take some extra time for your plan to unfold and work out better tomorrow or the next day.

I have no magic solutions. I'll be honest.

you asked what to do with littles?
want a true story????
There were times when oldest was in 4th, therefore middle was in 1st, and therefore youngest was.... uh... take 3-4 years off of first grade. and then there were the years before that. I remember this one time when Youngest was too young to be formally dx'ed with autism and not in any special ed services.... hold on... if youngest was 2, then middle was 5 and oldest was 8 and therefore in ECC?!?!? CTG? I don't know.

anyway, there were plenty of days, where youngest was upside down in my arms while I taught.

I never did any of those fancy schedules or good at time management and have them in perfect shape... we just took it a day at a time. A little here. A little there. Some times the middle gal did more on weekends for learning time. other times I had a great routine at breakfast and permission to finish in the evening....

trust me... it's all a blur

Looking forward to hearing better answers than that. But I thought if you knew we all have days where the plans don't fall right..... and I won't get into the times with toys in the toilet.......

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: Scheduling my 4th and K'er...help!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:57 pm

{hugs} for your bummer day.

First, it was good that you tried to schedule it. I'm a "scheduler" and at least have to have a plan. I'm flexible, and if I see something that's not working or needs to change, I'll change on the fly.

I have twin boys, so they end up entertaining each other a lot.

What works for me... (I have 5th grader in RTR, and then the boys are in 1st)... I do RTR Bible and 1st Grade Bible, History and Science first. (Yep, the fun stuff.) 1st graders sit in on those. Then, oldest does Book Basket, Math Drill, AWANA verses, vocabulary, any notebooking pages, (and right now, handwriting pages - but those will end tomorrow for us). I use that time to do 1st with my boys (which takes 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on them) - usually that's just Reading and Math, but sometimes a little more. Then, when I'm done with them, I do Math, English, Spelling, Writing, Music/Art, and Spanish with oldest. I usually do any read alouds at lunch (captive audience).

My other thought is not to give up on your schedule. It can take a few days to "implement it."

Look into Worboxes by Sue Patrick. I don't use it exactly as written, but it did help me rethink how to break stuff down so my oldest could do stuff more independently when I need her to.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

lisa062797

Unread post by lisa062797 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 pm

How my solution works for you depends on if your fourth grader does good with independent work or not. For now with my K'er, we are into the 2nd week of the introduction, so our "school days" in K are pretty short right now. I go through K with him right away after breakfast while my oldest plays with my toddler. What happens after we're done with K depends on if my hubby's at home or if he's working straight through the day. If he's home, we have family time, then the younger 2 go down for a nap after lunch. My hubby leaves for work shortly thereafter, and that's when a "work day" will begin for my oldest and I, too. I will sit down with him and teach/read/explain/guide, while making him a "homework" list of sorts for him to do on his own. For example, I will read the bible and Victor with him...then, instead of giving him his copy work on his memory verse to do, I will set that aside and write it down on a list for him. Then, we will work about half of a group in Spelling Power...but instead of him studying his words right after, I will set that aside and add it to his list. Then, I will look over the lesson in ILL, do any teaching if necessary and explain as I see fit; if there's any writing to be done, I will set that aside and add it to his list...if there's dictating to be done after his part is completed, he is to seek me out when he's ready and I will dictate to him while he writes.

And so on and so forth...that way, we are not taking FOREVER doing the thing where I teach then wait for him to complete his part, then teach some more and wait some more for him to complete his part on the next thing, etc. I go through all the teaching that I can do for the day and make sure he understands everything. Then, he works independently on his list, knowing he can come to me for questions. We just started doing this this year as I, too, just added a K'er to the mix, and my 4th grader REALLY likes this new system...he loves working independently (plus, it really has seemed to cut down on our school time). I actually noticed he works a lot better without me hovering over him waiting for him to finish so we can move on. Go figure!
Lisa in MN
Wife to Nick
Mom to
Vincent (11) Completed MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtoG, RtR, and currently in EX1850
Andrew (6) Completed MFWK, and currently in 1st
Isaac (4) Currently enjoying MFW preschool toys

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi Melissa!
I have kids the exact same ages as yours. I give all the credit, thankfulness, and praise to God, because our days have gone pretty smoothly so far.

I understand totally what you're saying on the other thread about your middle one getting just squeezed in here and there. That is what happened with mine last year. Granted, we were just doing informal preschool work last year, but my oldest dd and the baby always seemed to get the first fruits of my time. I didn't want that to happen this year. I want to give my 5yo dd a wonderful kindergarten experience just like I gave my oldest...not something where she's just squeezed in now and then. That is why I determined at the beginning of this school year to set aside time specifically for her. It just happens to work out well for us to do an hour at a time. There is enough variety so that she is not just sitting that whole time. We do some seat work and then go to the couch to read a story and then sing a song (I have some songs about letters, numbers, days of the week, etc. that I am adding) and then back to seat work. Actually, the hour goes pretty quickly. During that hour, I am available to help my 4th grader if she needs it, but for the most part, I have explained to her that that is my special time with her sister, and she should work independently as much as possible. Then, later, she receives one-on-one time with me. Whether it is in one solid block or several smaller blocks, it certainly is valuable to have time set aside for the younger student.

So, this is how it has worked for me. (We are doing ECC and MFW K this year with my 2 dds). We start the day with ECC Bible together. Then, my 4th grader works on independent work for about an hour while I work with my K'er. I've given my 4th grader a schedule with her independent work on it. The things I have her do varies each day, but some of the things I have her do independently are spelling (I use something independent), handwriting, math drill (using either Quarter Mile math, flashcards, wrap-ups, or something like that), silent reading (a chapter in the book she is reading at the time), vocabulary, and typing (we started Typing Instructor this year). She usually ends up doing 3 or 4 of those 5 things. They take her about an hour, and that is about how long it has been taking me to work with my K'er. During this first hour and a half of school, my 1yo plays for awhile in the schoolroom with some toys we have in there, then I put on either a Baby Faith or PraiseBaby video for him (they are his favorites) for about half an hour. By then, it is time for his nap.

While I put my 1yo down for his nap, my girls have a snack and do Book Basket. After that, we just roll through the rest of the subjects...geography, ILL, science, math, etc. My K'er joins us for some of it, such as geography or whatever she can join in on, and she just goes and plays for the rest. We don't get through everything before lunch, so we take a lunch break, and the baby wakes up sometime in there and has lunch, too. After lunch, I finish school with my 4th grader while my K'er plays with my 1yo.

For the most part, praise the Lord, the days have gone smoothly. I pray that you and your kids will find your "groove" and things will go more smoothly for you in the future! Give it to Jesus! He is faithful to work things out when we are at our wits end. I'll be praying for you!

Postby Poohbee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:44 am
I had one other thing I forgot to mention, Melissa. You said your son is a wiggler. Granted, boys and girls are different, but my 5yo girl is a wiggler, too. She is my mover...always has to be moving. When she walks, she doesn't really walk...she jumps or hops. When I am doing read-alouds, she is standing on her head somewhere nearby or playing, and it doesn't seem like she's listening, but every now and then she pipes in with a thought or an answer to a question. She comprehends quite well, even when it doesn't seem like she is listening. During seat work, she is usually standing next to her desk rather than sitting. She says she works better when she stands. So, maybe she is somewhat like your son. I suppose you could try the 1-hour block and see how he does. It might end up working well. You might find you get more accomplished with him in a longer time block, and your 4th grader may accomplish more, too. Just a thought for you. Have a blessed day!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Thank you all for your replies! You'd think, after homeschooling for 4 years...I'd have this down. We've been in school for 4 weeks now, and things have been going...okay...but not great, and today was just...dreadful.

Anyway - lots of good ideas in here! And encouragement, which I appreciate, so much. I do know that sometimes the whole day just goes pear-shaped - and that it will still be okay. I'm just feeling sorry for myself today, I guess.

I am going to try again tomorrow, and see what happens...and the next day..and the next. ;) Meantime, I will keep praying about these great suggestions. I have been operating under the assumption that ds would not be able to handle an hour straight of K. But now, I wonder if maybe I underestimated or misread the situation. Dd does okay with independent work (not great, this is a work in progress - she's a sociable sue, who at 5 yo told me when I was "tucking her in" for quiet time - "It's just not good for me to spend this much time alone!" ha. anyway - we're taking steps, it's just a slow process); I think she could do better, especially if I were more clear about what was expected of her, and if part of the time were to be spent helping with the baby. Hmmm.....wheels turning now.

Okay - off to bed, to sleep on it - thanks so much, and feel free to throw out any more thoughts!

[ Follow-up, switched 4th grader to ECC mid-year: ]

First Day of ECC - Went Great!
Posted Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 pm by MelissaM
I'm SO excited to be starting this - I know, I keep posting about it, you're probably all sick of me. I'll stop, I promise.

But I just wanted to say that today went so well - we got everything done! Everything. Whoa. I was a little nervous because I have read a lot of posts indicating that the 1st 2 weeks of ECC are really full, and I was afraid it would just be too overwhelming, but it really was not a problem at all. (An indication that maybe I've been pushing my oldest dd way too much?!) It was good to get back to discussing/narrating our reading, rather than just rushing to the next thing. I thought the POE book might be too hard for dd, but it seemed to be ok, challenging but not frustrating.

Her favorite part was filling out the passport app. When I showed her how to make out the check, she said, "I know it's not even a real check, but I feel so important." LOL.

Did I mention that we got everything done? Including listening to the cd and doing Latin (we started this last year, but we don't always get to it).

:)
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

jasntas

Combining a 1st and 3rd grader

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:51 am

Marcee wrote:I really want my kids in one History program. Can I put them in ECC together?
This is basically what we are doing. I have a 1st and 4th grader. The 1st grader does her own phonics and math from MFW. We also do the Bible for 1st. Then I have been including her in ECC. She likes "The Complete Book of Animals" worksheets and activities that supplement the ECC science. They both like it actually. She is not required to do as much as her brother, of course, and it seems to be working fine. We are in week 7. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

NCJessieRN

Re: Combining a 1st and 3rd grader

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 am

We are combining a first and third grader with ECC. We are doing 1st grade phonics and bible like previous poster. It's working out really well so far!
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

1974girl

Re: Combining a 1st and 3rd grader

Unread post by 1974girl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 am

I combined 1st and 3rd with Adventures. If you haven't done that one, I'd recommend that first. Then combine them next year with ECC.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

cbollin

Where do I start?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 pm

mandolin wrote:Hi I am the homeschooling mom of 5 boys - 2 will be in High School and both have special needs. I also have 3 other boys, one is 10 and will be in 6th grade, the next is 8 and will be in 4th grade, and the last is 6 and will be in first and is just now learning to read.

Would ECC be good for the 1st grader? I didn't know if he could go along with that, it would sure make teaching easier. Right now I am juggling a lot with the two older kids needs, so that would be a tremendous relief for this year to do all together!
:-)
Mandi
The first grader could be invited to join in plenty of activities in ECC if you treated it more like dessert for them.

There was a recent thread where a few ideas were shared on ECC with younger siblings. Let me link to those ideas too while waiting for others to join in.... (this forum does tend to go quiet in December)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10108

I know when we did ECC 2 years ago (7th grade, 4th grader, and youngest was in MFW K), there were things that even my little Kindy gal could do (she was first grade age, but it was her kindy year, she did an extra year of preschool at a special needs school). So, she was hanging out with sisters when we did crafts (and she'd do her own similar craft with my help of course), and we'd include her in prayer time from Window on the World, and the food projects in ECC. She certainly didn't hang out all the time in ECC with us and didn't do it all. She didn't care on the passport (sigh), but we'd include her while playing Geography game (she would help her oldest sister or me). Then, she was doing MFW K as her meat/potatoes (well, along with Speech and OT of course), so the fun stuff in ECC was just that, fun stuff.

-crystal

mandolin

Re: Where do I start?

Unread post by mandolin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Isn't 1st grade like dessert anyway? They so love school at that age! My littlest one is like tea and a cookie at the end of the day.

Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

1974girl

out of sync kids/years/etc. :)

Unread post by 1974girl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 pm

ark2003 wrote:1st off...i love mfw and this message board! y'all rock!

quick ?s: i've got a 13 y/o "8th" grader that's about to start ECC (she's finishing up US history this month... she will be new to MFW) and 6 y/o twin daughters that are more than halfway thru MFW 1st grade (i expect them to be completely thru it by may at the latest). we school year round. so, whaddya think...should i just stick my 6 y/o twins with my 13 y/o in ECC til the end (of ECC) then start them on Adv when my 13 y/o starts AHL (ie high school)? OR should i start them right into Adv when they are done with MFW 1st and keep ECC separate for my 13 y/o?

thanks lots and lots and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
bless,
a
I am doing ECC with a 2nd grader (7) and the science is pretty tough for her. The Usborn Book is ok for her but the Properties of Ecosystems has been tough. I would do Adventures with the twins next. Adventures lays the ground works. They know the states, how we became to be a country, etc. Then when you move to ECC....they kinda already have a feel to where they are in the world. That is just my opinion.

The other option would be to do ECC and find another lighter science. Music, art, Bible, even the geography game could be played by the twins. But in my opinion, I would get a lighter science or just check out books from the library on the different ecosystems and use the Usborn as the main science.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Julie in MN

Re: out of sync kids/years/etc. :)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:06 pm

You know, I'd make it easy on yourself this year and just fold in the little one with what you are doing. Phonics and math will be her biggest tasks, and the rest is just whipped cream (enjoyed a lot of that this past week!). About the science, I agree about skipping POE with them. Just have them enjoy the weekly experiment and the nature walks, plus book basket or whatever vignettes in Living World that sparks their interest. My ds attended public school for 2nd grade, and at the fall conference the teacher wasn't even sure whether they would do science that year; in the end, she just read some textbook paragraphs to them now & again.

Next year when your oldest gets to high school, you'll be able to have a fun year of Adventures with the younger ones. And Adv. is a shorter day, so you'll have some time to ease your oldest into high school.

The year after that will be a wait-and-see kind of thing, but I would be tempted to re-use ECC at that point. No need to worry about that now, though.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

jasntas

Re: out of sync kids/years/etc. :)

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:12 pm

I completely agree with Julie's advice. Even possibly using ECC again for youngers after ADV. :)

mamato7

Just started ECC and MFW K

Unread post by mamato7 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm

We are on week 3 of ECC and week 2 of MFWK.
Maybe I am missing something but I am not seeing how this is a lot of work? I have actually added POE because I have the first edition and wanted to add more science.
I am using ECC with my 11,8,7,5,and 4 yo. MFW K with my 7,6,and 4. Parts of each with the kids who can't do certain things.
It really isn;'t taking that long each day.
We are doing the book baskets but I am not reading a lot to them because my 5 yo causes too many problems when I read too long.
I bought MFW K new but ECC used so maybe I am missing something that way?

I've been lurking here for the past few weeks, gaining wisdom from others.
We are really enjoying MFW!

Tammy
Mama to dd 17,dd 15,dd 11,ds 8, ds 7, ds 5, dd 4

cbollin

Re: Just started ECC and MFW K

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi!
I am seeing a pattern here over the last few years..... those who start mid year and "switch" to ECC aren't having the "jump start" to the year that those of us experience coming from using ADV, or just from a summer break. hmm.

and parts of 2nd edition in ECC have "more" with the reading of Kingdom Tales.

MFW is definitely doable! I loved doing ECC and K together a few years ago. I really saw a lot of Kindy level geography in the program and it just seemed like fun.

-crystal

Amy C.

Re: Just started ECC and MFW K

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi, Tammy! Welcome! We did ECC and K last year, our first year with MFW. It was a great year! Glad to hear it is going well.

Amy C.

cbollin

ECC always before CTG?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 am

erin.kate wrote:I am trying to figure out how to get my kids on the same cycle of learning as soon as is realistically possible (my oldest is only 7). I need to sort this out in my mind before I make any big purchases for our next year's program, which I'd like to order this week-ish.

Reading the MFW site, it says that ECC is highly recommended before CTG. Does this hold true, as well, for the littles who join in the history cycle midway through? So, let's say after MFW1 my youngest is ready to start with my three older kids, who would be starting Exp1850, do I place him there so all four are on the same cycle year, or does he do a year of ECC first and then jump in?

Also, are there 7th/8th grade supplements for years other than ECC? Thanks in advance for your help!
MFW means that as a family you should do ECC before you do CTG. It's not each student does ECC as a full year before folding into the cycle. But as a family you do ECC then CTG, etc.

Younger siblings are invited to join in older siblings program for fun and family activities. So those younger kiddos get just the right exposure to topics in fun ways, and mom/dad has the experience teaching from ECC. So it really works out. You learn as a family together. Youngest siblings of course need to focus on 3R's while under 2nd grade.

In the case of a 2nd grader with older siblings in EX1850 you fold them into that cycle using the younger supplement that comes from the Adventures program.

7th and 8th grade recommendations are built into the other programs as they were originally written in mind that as the family gets older, the oldest gets older too. Very originally, ECC was written as a 2nd-6th grade program until God increased the vision for Marie to write through high school. So that's why the 7th/8th grade extras were built into the manual with advanced reader and research paths.

So, in jr. high, my oldest did ECC in 7th with the jr. high supplement. And in 8th, she did CTG. There were specific recommendations in the manual to add more reports using the topics in Streams of Civilization and to encourage more of the "advanced" assignments and "advanced readings". Same kind of thing in RTR for a jr. high student. (plus language arts, math, science on level) Then, in EX1850, 1850MOD, jr. high students do all of the advanced stuff and add in language arts, math, science.

Also in EX1850 and 1850MOD, there are "younger supplements" to fold in the younger siblings with the materials from Adventures, and then geography unit too.

but in CTG and RTR - the stuff is in the manual and book basket for jr. high.

anyway, that was wordy. I'm hoping I didn't confuse it more and look forward to hearing from those who write it more understandable.

-crystal

erin.kate

Re: ECC always before CTG?

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 am

Aaah, I just saw the "supplements" link within Ex1850 and Mod1850. Brilliant. It all makes sense now, and since I will already have done Adv with my oldest, we'll have the supplementary materials for EX1850 and would then just order the supplements for Mod1850. Thanks, again, Crystal for pointing me in the right direction.

Can anyone share a little about how you include first graders in MFW1 in with ECC ... are the hands-on activities appropriate for that age? How do you include your younger kids with ECC?

Thank you!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

erin.kate wrote:Can anyone share a little about how you include first graders in MFW1 in with ECC ... are the hands-on activities appropriate for that age? How do you include your younger kids with ECC?
mixing in youngers in ECC. i did that when I had 7th, 4th and autistic kindy kid. kindy kid got in the mix too.

*praying as a family from window on the world
*food projects
*sat on dad's or mom's lap to help me play geography game
*helped do stickers on passports (she was my customs agent a few times) and flag book
*dance to the music
*learned how to count to ten in a few languages (not bad for a kid who struggles to speak in english.)
*some of science stuff when it was hands on fun (like the penguin fat on our hands in the snow and ice, and making river, and watching terrarium plants and stuff)

stuff like that.

then, going back 5 years before that..... oldest was in 2nd grade doing ecc, this was before adventures was written... and next kid was pre K age. youngest was 1 and miserable. basically, pre K kid did just enough that she heard names of countries and watched us with maps and videos. That way, as I taught middle gal in later years, I had already taught ECC so I could easily fill in little gaps here and there until she got to 4th grade.

3rd grade.. that was the year oldest was in 6th grade and middle gal in younger supplement in 1850MOD. Because I had taught ECC, it was easy for me to tuck in ECC kind of books in book basket. It really paid off when oldest was doing WWII and post WWII especially communism and china. middle gal had a picture book on people of china, and we were praying for people (that's part of 1850MOD too).... she kept looking at this book in basket on China.... "mommy, china is a beautiful place with beautiful people. can I go there someday and let the muslims in china know that jesus loves them?"

well, let's just say, over time it all works out to teach as a family.

time to ice my neck and shoulder again....

-crystal

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm

To help answer question #2. For us, we don't do any of the 1st grade science. We do science as a family from ECC. I also include my 1st grader in anything else she is interested in being a part of as far as ECC goes which is just about everything. That's what we do here. HTH