Book Reviews - Complete Book of Animals

cbollin

Book Reviews - Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:27 am

Fenni wrote:I'm so excited about ECC and hope to order soon. I was checking things out and decided to poke around for reviews on the Complete Book of Animals before deciding if I should purchase it. I read a review on Amazon from 2006 and it does not give a nice picture of the book and gives examples to back up their statement. eek!
[editor's note: See the end of the story, below
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 028#p57016 ]
I probably shouldn't say too much. (never stops me, huh?) I'd like to give some of my thoughts about the *review* you are reading while we wait for Lucy. I don't know the person who wrote the review. My reaction to the review tells me that I will like the book. huh? you mean such a negative review actually makes me more interested? yeah. Here's why:

*One thing I noticed about MFW: according to the MFW website, they are scheduling the book in the lesson plans. So anything about the disjointed nature of this book will not be an issue. So, all of those paragraphs where the reviewer is upset, you can ignore that. MFW doesn't do "disjointed" scheduling even with a book that has that issue. If I were using it without an MFW guide, I'd be worried after reading the review. But let's hear it for Marie's gift of lesson plan writing!

* I don't give a lot of weight on the reviewer's concern about the amount information given . I'm not confident that giving too much information about wolves or other animal is a good thing for a 2nd grader. What is wrong with younger text for younger kids when the book is being used for reading comprehension? Why should you overload with too much information? besides, in the context of teaching and using ECC, this book is not going to be the only source of information the child receives. If they use a book like Complete Book of Animals and get excited about one of the animals, then grab more books from the library and put it in book basket. For the child who couldn't care about wolves, forcing them to read the amount of information that reviewer wants them to know isn't going to be helpful. So, ironically, where that turns that reviewer off from the book, it makes me go YES! I will not be giving information overload to my kid.

*Did you read the third review on amazon that gave it very high marks for use with reading comprehension? Did you read the first review on that page that says this is not stand alone material but is designed to make "geography" more interesting?

I don't think you'll be as frustrated as the one reviewer was if you use this book within the lesson plans of ECC 2nd edition. If I used the book outside of the plans, well, you never know.

Perhaps you can just wait and see at convention what you think of the book and the lesson planning?
I'm sure that if Lucy doesn't chime in, you can call her at the MFW office and ask. They really will be the only ones who can answer it right now. You have good questions when you are concerned about a book choice and trusting the unseen, so it's ok to call MFW office and ask them about it. They probably have more insights than that reviewer did. I'm confident in Marie's abilities to review and use a book. I've had concerns over books based on cyber chat only to find out that the book itself was never like the cyber chat. So, hang in there.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

KellyinPA

Re: Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by KellyinPA » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:54 am

cbollin wrote:*One thing I noticed about MFW: according to the MFW website, they are scheduling the book in the lesson plans. So anything about the disjointed nature of this book will not be an issue. So, all of those paragraphs where the reviewer is upset, you can ignore that. MFW doesn't do "disjointed" scheduling even with a book that has that issue. If I were using it without an MFW guide, I'd be worried after reading the review. But let's hear it for Marie's gift of lesson plan writing!
I read that same review on Amazon and though my thoughts didn't go into quite as much detail as Crystal's ;) as to why the review really didn't bother me too much, I saw that Marie has it scheduled in the new ECC lesson plans and that is quite good enough for me. I love the idea of having a reading comprehension book for my 8yos and I trust myself and Marie enough to edit out what doesn't fit for us. Just my .02, YMMV :)
Blessings,
Kelly
MFW K, 1st, ADV
ECC 2009/2010

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Fenni wrote:yes, I read all the reviews and my biggest concern was the mention of errors. I love everything Marie has chosen that I have used so far and do trust her a lot. Thus, my surprise at the mention of errors in the review. Also, I do not want to blindly trust anyone's choices.
Fenni,
Like you I don't "blindly" do what Marie says. I've just come to really be able to trust her curriculum decisions because it meets my goals for my family. And when I'm concerned about a book, I call David or the office and ask. I'm often surprised at how much research she has done on a book and that she has some of the same concerns from time to time. So, she thinks about this stuff too. So, it's ok to ask if you're concerned about a book. It's just possible that on this specific book, you might have to call.

All publishers have some kind of errors.

The review gets into "giving too much info" on one part as "confusing" but then turns around and says "not enough info". Which is it? She says the authors didn't know their "middle school science" and all I can think is "good, they aren't writing to middle school students". Do you want a 1st-3rd grader to know everything, or just enough and save more for later. That seems to be the big part of the issues that are brought up as "errors".
My oldest child, who is 7th grade, wanted to share parts of our conversation yesterday after this thread. I asked her How would you classify "lichen" in terms of taxonomy?

My daughter went into extreme detail about the characteristics to distinguish plant vs. protista vs. fungi, skipped monera because it just doesn't apply, and started talking about symbiotic something or other (kid is smarter than I am ). yeah, right. Ok, she learned something a few modules ago in Apologia.

I asked: " ok, Now pretend you're teaching 2nd graders."
kate replied: For 2nd graders? I'd say lichen is kinda like a plant, but it is really 2 things rolled into one. It gets confused for moss."
Like Donna said, this is not the only time any of this information will be presented and the level will change.

The other thing to keep in mind, is the idea that as you (generic you) come across errors, most publishers would be happy to receive error reports and constructive feedback from people who use the books. Or, even if that publisher isn't interested, I know people on this board wouldn't mind knowing bits and pieces here and there to improve the book. I'm sure a post in the ECC ideas forum to help with the book would be a blessing to many people.

Anyway, if you don't use the book, life is ok. You can use other stuff.
-crystal

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Well, I don't know... it's 2nd grade. I haven't read any reviews on it, but at that age, just how accurate or detailed does it have to be? :~

My 10yo used this book a few years ago just because she likes animals and it looked fun for her, so I bought it. No biggie. She liked it, but she's not going to become a veterinarian based on a colorful 2nd grade activity book about animals, kwim?

P.S. just wanted to add that your child will get a much more detailed, accurate study of animals later on when studying the Animal Kingdom in year 4. ;) Right now it's all about exposure and fun.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

Complete Book of animals, update

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:24 pm

About a month ago several of us were having a discussion about content issues of Complete Book of Animals based on one online review of the book.

I now own a copy of Complete Book of Animals and want to assure everyone who has any concerns based on the hearsay in that online amazon review, that you can really ignore that person's concerns. I bought this at convention yesterday.

When you have the book actually in front of you, and read the words and look at the pictures, it is nowhere even close to the level of what that person was talking about. Again, let's hear it for Marie's ability to pick a book. :)

Example, the person was worried about the lichen thing: when you and your child read that sentence in context, you'll wonder why the reviewer was concerned. It's just written in an age appropriate manner to talk about what caribou eat.

As for the jellyfish issue: it is a drawing and you are not going to ruin your child if they see that picture. There is no mention of Portuguese Man of War. I can't tell you if the drawing is accurate or not. It's good enough for the purpose.

cocoon vs. chyrsalid: again, just change that a bit. it's not as huge of an issue as it could be. Yes, technically it is a moth that does the cocoon. I didn't learn that difference in 2nd grade.

toothed whale/killer whale/orca: I don't think you have to worried about how that is handled in the actually book. Just make a note when you get there of what you learned in dolphin pages. I think it is probably on that page in the whale pull out because lots of people think of orca as a whale instead of a "toothed whale". So the information is not trying to misled your child.

Lemming reference: reviewer is too nit picky over the word "always" in that sentence. That page doesn't mention "old wives tales issues." I'm sorry if I sound snarky on that.

the review mentions something about metamorphsis: again, it is not middle school science that you are trying to teach.

the comment about the beaver lodge: clearly the picture I have is able to be labeled according to the instructions. Must be a newer edition.

Again, Complete Book of Animals is optional, and highly recommended. I'd not worry about the one amazon review when making the decision whether or not to purchase this book. It will be very useful in MFW K for many units (Farm animals, Elephants, Zebra, Kangaroos, Insects, Butterflies, Frogs, maybe even Fox if that's in there.) In fact, I'm going to do a new post on that.....

It will be a nice book in ECC for younger kids too.

I do hope that helps someone out there to make a decision to fit the needs of their family. If your concerns are based on the amazon review, then ignore it.

Blessings and for those of you who use this book, it's going to really great!

crystal

KellyinPA

Re: Complete Book of animals, update

Unread post by KellyinPA » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I just received a copy of this and from a quick glance over, it looks spot on for the age group it's targeted toward. I will be using ECC in the fall with my just turned 8yos and it looks perfect for them. Crystal did a great job of commenting on the Amazon review so I don't need to reiterate that but just wanted to let those who are curious (like me! :) ) know that it looks great and I am eager to see how Marie schedules it in the new ECC.
Blessings,
Kelly
MFW K, 1st, ADV
ECC 2009/2010

cbollin

Re: ? Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:46 pm

RachelT wrote:Hello! I have not yet ordered ECC, but as I have looked through the sample pages I am still trying to understand how some of you are using the Complete Book of Animals? Do you use it during your science lessons? Or during your reading lessons? (It looks like it's about topics related to the ECC science, but says it's for reading comprehension.) And in the sample grid page for week 9 it just has the title listed in each box, but no specifics :) . Does the TM tell you which pages to use? Or is it something where you select your own pages? Just trying to understand before I place my order. I barely remember looking through it at convention.

Thanks!
Rachel
CBOA is used in reading time. Basically, one of the things that MFW suggests and recommends in terms of Reading and reading comprehension is to use material at grade level that is about what you are studying. And then if you can't find something, use a quality book on any topic of interest. CBOA helps with the reading comprehension at grade level for topics on ECC stuff.

At the beginning of each continent, Marie gives the sections to be covered and the grace to flex it for what your child wants to read that day from those pages and sections. and permission to not do all of it. So, yeah, more detail is in each continent than what the grid makes it look like.

-crystal

doubleportion

Re: ? Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Crystal covered most of it. I will say that we have used it during reading time and sometimes during book basket. (once my voracious reader has consumed all the library books we got two days before.)

Edie

Fenni

Complete Book of Animals for ECC

Unread post by Fenni » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 pm

I was hesitant to order the Complete Book of Animals to use w/ my 3rd grader. Just wanted to pop in and say I'm so glad I did! We are really enjoying it. :)

lynut

Re: Complete Book of Animals for ECC

Unread post by lynut » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 am

I'm glad I ordered it, too. My boys have enjoyed it.
Lyne

Wife to 1 for 20 years on the 16th.
Mom to 4: 3 boys 10, 8, 3 and one girl 5

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:44 am

I know! It is so interesting for my ds(8). And the length of each page is just perfect for him to read. I am also having him read the Bible portion for each day so he is getting plenty of outloud reading. Prior to this year he struggled with his reading but is doing so well now. This week I starting having him read his math word problems instead of reading them to him. He balked a bit about doing this but is doing fine. I am so pleased with the pace of MFW as well as the program as a whole.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:59 am

Had to add -- my dd LOVES the Complete Book of Animals! It's an excellent incentive, too - "when you finish your math, you can do the Complete Book of Animals." It's like a "whine eraser." :-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Complete book of animals?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:32 pm

rawbanana wrote:I was going to order this for my 6yr old to do next year when we do ECC, but looking thru the ECC manual, I dont see where it says what pages to use...do I just pick and choose willy-nilly?

Thanks!
Anna
The CBOA is arranged by continent. so try to match it that way.

Specific chapters in CBOA are scheduled in Weekly Preparation sheets in ECC (2nd ed.), but not specific pages in each chapter so that you can individualize it for your child and not feel like you have to do all of the pages. If a continent (like Europe) doesn't have specific section in the CBOA table of contents, that's when you have time to look at the table of contents in CBOA for the sections that aren't listed by continent (like insects, reptiles, science/animals, or fact/fun)

more is explained in the 2nd edition ECC manuals in the intro section under Geography in terms of what to do with the pull out mini books and kinds of sheets.

-crystal

sbbrown425

Re: Complete book of animals?

Unread post by sbbrown425 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Hello! We are completing ECC this year with my 10yr old and 7yr old. I bought Complete Book of Animals esp bec. my son loves animals. It is divided into sections by continents plus extra sections on other animal topics. So we did the section of animals as we studied a particular continent. We enjoy the book. It helps with reading comprehension also. Hope this helps! We will not have the book completed by the end of the school year but we will continue to work in it.

Sherry

doubleportion

Re: Complete book of animals?

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 pm

I don't know if you have 1st edition or 2nd edition TM but in the ECC 2nd edition TM the pages for Complete Book of Animals are listed in the Preparation- Introduction sections.

For example for weeks 1-2 under "Preparation: Introduction- Week 1-2" and under that the Complete Book of Animals is listed:
Farm Animals p 215-232 and Favorite Pets pgs 233-270
Horses pgs 219-226
Dogs pgs 235-242
Cats pgs 247-254
Frogs pgs 261-268

There should be something like this at the beginning of each new section or continent. So you should find the specifics under: "Preparation: North America Weeks 3-8", "Preparation: South America Weeks 9-11" etc.

HTH

Edie

MadeInJapan

Consumable?

Unread post by MadeInJapan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:36 pm

SusanH wrote:Is this a consumable book? We will be starting ECC in the fall with twin 2nd graders and a 3rd/4th grader and I don't know if I should order one for each of them.

Thanks.
Susan
Yes, it is a consumable book. I have a 4th grader as well as a 2nd grader. The 4th grader really wanted to do the CBOA pages, but I didn't get one for her. I ended up copying the coloring pages so she could do them along with the 2nd grader. I recommend getting one for each child.

HTH!
Lisa
=)
Lisa, mom of 3
We've done MFW PreK, MFW K, ECC, CTG, and RTR.
Preparing for Exp1850 and MFW 1st!

cbollin

Re: question about A Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 pm

There are some consumable pages in it. most of the book is reading and you can ask the questions out loud.

if you are teaching the twins at the same time with the book, it might just be easier to have 2 books. Easy to get a book per child. Or some people might just print out a different coloring page from online source. depends if they have to have the exact same activity page and how much work you'd rather do.

One of each

Book of Animals for ECC

Unread post by One of each » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 pm

mchovik wrote:Are we going to be missing out on something great if my dd8 does not read this? I can not wait to get ECC (hopefully this week!) We have successfully used MFW K, 1st and just completed Adv. It seems like there is so much packed into ECC that it won't be a big deal if we don't have Book of Animals... ;)
I thought it might be overkill too and almost didn't order it, but I'm glad I did because my dd loves the activities. They keep her occupied while I'm working with my oldest. Also my oldest enjoys the stories from the book as much she does.
ds, 13; dd, 10
2013-2014 RTR
2012-2013 CTG
2011-2012 ECC

jasntas

Re: Book of Animals for ECC

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Sometimes the science is a little over the younger's heads and that book can lighten it up a bit.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:01 pm

This workbook is actually good to have for 8 & 9 year olds. I agree sometimes the science was a little too much for my boys. We used the pages often.
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 pm

mchovik wrote:Thank you both for your replies. I added the book to our order and they said it should be sent out this afternoon! I am so excited!
Oh good -- you'll be so happy you got it! We used it for science quite a bit. POE was a bit too dry for dd to engage. The science experiments in the TM are awesome and what we remember most, but the Animals book was fun -- and really fun to review before our zoo trips.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Mommy22alyns wrote:I plan to be doing ECC next year when my girls will be 7 and 9. I was planning to order it for my youngest; do you think I should add it in for my oldest (who will be in 4th grade) too? TIA!
I would (and did). HTH :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

questions about The Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 am

Yodergoat wrote:I'm trying to decide what I need to purchase for ECC. It's fun to look!

I am wondering about the Complete Book of Animals. I've read some facts about it, such as how many animals it covers, the format, etc. But I am wondering what the illustrations are like inside. Do they look realistic, or are they like the cartoonish frog on the cover? We're very much an "animal" family and I don't think we'd enjoy it nearly as much if the animals are not realistically depicted. It could be likened to someone who is a train enthusiast having a book about trains in which none are accurate, know what I mean?

If any of you have children who are intensely interested in animals, was this book something they enjoyed? Or was it too simplistic of a treatment on the animals?

I know it's not an expensive purchase, but I don't want to get something that may not fit our family.
Thanks!
I've actually purchased it 3 times. :~

The pics in the book are very realistic, not cartoonish. There are also some intense coloring pages. The info is presented in a simple way, but it's still good info. There are a few puzzles, etc., to keep it going. If you have an "animal genius," she may find some of the info boring, or too simple, but I think it's a great add to ECC. My dd went through it again for zoology in EX1850. I won't purchase it again for ECC repeat in 8th, but she enjoyed having something simple and fun to do this year.

hsm

Re: questions about The Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by hsm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am

Ack! I wrote a nice long reply to this and it disappeared! I am running out now so I can't respond right now, but I concur with Cyndi. I will give more details when I get home. :-)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

TriciaMR

Re: questions about The Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am

Shawna,

if you can.. maybe the best thing to do is view it in person at the MFW Exclusive Event near you this February or March. I recall you live in TN. check out the convention page (https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/community/events) to which city and date is closer to you. You'll still get the free shipping. And check out the other incentives on the little pop up box where it says Exclusive Events. Pre register and get that coupon too.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog