Book Reviews - Complete Book of Animals

Yodergoat

Re: questions about The Complete Book of Animals

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks, everyone! I just knew ya'll would come through quickly!

Cyndi: It's good to know that it is realistic. I think Gail will enjoy it, because she doesn't know about all animals, of course! Surely out of the 100 it claims to feature, we can find something she doesn't know... ;) And for the ones she does know lots about, she will just feel confident and happy to know it. As long as the pictures are good and it contains real facts she will be happy.

Lori: I'd love to hear what you were going to say! I hate when a post gets lost...

Tricia: I didn't know about these exclusive events, so thanks for the information. Unfortunately we live 2 and a half hours from the nearest one (Nashville). But it is on a day that my husband should have off work... so mayhap we can combine it with something in that area that we'd like to go to anyway. Maybe a rare bird will be spotted in the area or something! ;)

Thanks again!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:04 pm

I am home now :-) Basically I was going to say what Cyndi said. We enjoy the book here. We don't find the illustrations cartoonish. They do not look like the illustration on the cover. The information is presented in a simple easy to understand manner. My young 3rd grader who loves animals and constantly researches and reads about animals has learned from the book. She is able to read it well on her own, answer questions, and narrate back to me. She is able to use it independently which is nice. We use it for supplemental material with the ECC science sometimes. Even my 6th grader enjoys the book...shhh...don't tell her I told. ;) As Cyndi said there are a lot of activities such as coloring, puzzles, connect the dot, etc. I am glad we bought it. There have been times that the ECC science was over my 3rd grader's head so I had her use the CBOA instead.

I also like Tricia's advice to look at it in person. I tried looking online at other websites for samples but didn't have any luck. HTH
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks for your input Lori. I like that she could use it independently, and she enjoys all the activities that you mentioned. Sounds great! I will definitely add this to my order.

I guess I was just scared by the cartoon frog on the cover and got worried it would be the same inside! :~ And I was also hesitant because it starts at grade 1, so I thought it might be underwhelming for a 3rd grader who already knows lots about animals. But it sounds like it won't be! Yay!
I'm Shawna...

MorningSong

Unread post by MorningSong » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:22 pm

We enjoyed CBOA. I would purchase this again for my next child. Definitely worth it.
It is a different cover, but the insides are the same. I've had both.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Yodergoat wrote:I guess I was just scared by the cartoon frog on the cover and got worried it would be the same inside! :~ And I was also hesitant because it starts at grade 1, so I thought it might be underwhelming for a 3rd grader who already knows lots about animals. But it sounds like it won't be! Yay!
I can understand that, Shawna. The old cover used to be a realistic Orca picture. Why they changed it to a cartoon frog, I'll never know! :-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 am

I did not realize that this was a work book. Should we have one for each kid? If it's black and white, I don't mind making copies if that's okay. I'll be doing ECC next year with a 3rd grader and a 1st grader tag along that wants to do everything with her brother!
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:03 am

Casey,

The sample pictures I saw in the older version "orca cover" book at amazon were full color pictures, and it did say that they may not be reproduced "in any form." So I would suggest getting two.

Now that I have seen samples, I'm excited about the book and really looking forward to using it. I wish the publishers could know how much the cartoon frog on the new cover almost swayed me to skip this...
I'm Shawna...