Book Reviews - Kingdom Tales

momma2boys

Re: Kingdom Tales - you could have warned me

Unread post by momma2boys » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:11 pm

We LOVED Kingdom Tales. And I cried a lot while reading it to my boys. They got used to it! :-)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 pm

This is why my DH reads the read-a-louds. I just lose it sometimes. With Kingdom Tales, sometimes I will notice my DH getting emotional, he'll have me read for a few paragraphs and then we switch again, so that we can keep going with the story. I think that the emotion of the writing goes over the kids heads and you don't really "get it" until you are an adult and have some life experience to relate it to. :)

We go through LOTS of kleenex around here. Gotta love Costco. :)

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!

One of each

Unread post by One of each » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Good to know there's more crying ahead! I'll make sure to have my tissues handy. :)

The line that got me was when the King whispered, "Don't leave me, Amanda. We've all been so lonely without you." So personal. He didn't say don't leave us, he said don't leave me. *tears*

Dragon eggs led to a great discussion and brought me to tears too.

This book will definitely be a keepsake for my grandchildren.
ds, 13; dd, 10
2013-2014 RTR
2012-2013 CTG
2011-2012 ECC

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 pm

LOL, we were just talking about this at dinner tonight! We had company with two families visiting. Family A has recently started using MFW (AHL and ECC), and Family B uses another curriculum. The mom from Family A and I were talking about Kingdom Tales and some of our favorite stories in it, the tears and the chuckles, who "Caretaker" really portrayed.... so mom from Family B is like, "What? What book are you talking about?" After ribbing her a bit and telling her that if she was using MFW she'd know what we're talking about 8[] I ran and grabbed our copy to show her. She's decided they need to read this book. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

One of each

Unread post by One of each » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 pm

4Truth wrote: I ran and grabbed our copy to show her. She's decided they need to read this book. ;)
Yep, my best friend was over yesterday and after I showed it to her, she is getting it for her family too. She's not an MFW user either so it's fun getting to share these new-found treasures.

My mom stayed with us this weekend and I told her the "dragon eggs" story and tried to narrate "Trial by Fire" but ended up reading her the story. It's an instant classic in this house.
ds, 13; dd, 10
2013-2014 RTR
2012-2013 CTG
2011-2012 ECC

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:27 pm

We bought Kingdom Tales at our HS Convention. DH and I went alone and stayed at a hotel that night. I started reading KT after he was snoring beside me and I seriously had to fight to not stay up all night reading it! Just couldn't put it down! I think I read it during the whole drive home the next day. I know my boys will like it and hoping it's not too 'scary' for my DD, but she's not usually my sensitive one, so we'll see. I just saw on Facebook that there is a color-illustrated copy out, but I'm thinking I like the non-illustrated version and they can use their imaginations ;)
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:06 am

Goodness...it isn't just Kingdom Tales either! I think I cried my heart out so many times as we read through Nate Saint, George Mueller, Amy Carmichael, Gladys Aylward, Cameron Townsend, and David Livingstone!! I don't remember who said it - but my kids are always looking up when the books get to those moments and saying "mom's going to cry" or "are you crying mommy?" I didn't know it would keep going...I could barely get through a certain chapter in Tanglewood Secrets. That is a great book and I love how it describes salvation to a young child, but I didn't expect one chapter to bring me to tears!!! Good tears though - each of these books has really moved me in a way that helps me to realize how important it is that we share God's message with everyone we can!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm

asheslawson wrote:I could barely get through a certain chapter in Tanglewood Secrets.
I know exactly the chapter to which you're referring. *sob* My dd is so used to saying, "MOMMM! Quit crying!"
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

AnnieMarie

Unread post by AnnieMarie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:54 am

Not just ECC either :) . We are in 1850 to Modern times and our book that I cry every time with is A Child's Guide to Knowing God. Today's was a 2 hanky story called, "A Song of Victory". I think that Marie has consistently chosen books to challenge our faith to help us grow up with the Lord. Yet another reason why I love MFW!!!!!!
AnnieMarie

DD 14 MFWK-1850Mod 2nd cycle ECC CTG AHL
DD 10 MFWK, MFW1, 1850Mod-RTR
DD 5 MFWK, MFW1 ECC-RTR

niki

Unread post by niki » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:44 am

My kids are always expecting me to cry through many stories in A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God, Patricia St. John has an amazing way of pouring out Truth in her modern day parables!! Whew! Also, Courage to Run! Finished up the story of Harriet Tubman...It's so good that we can be so transparent...huge lump in my throat...can barely read sometimes! I love these God moments, there have been so many in my years with My Father's World spreading such amazing gifts before us to share with our children!! We see God so much in other areas, but seeing Him in throughout this curriculum is truly supernatural! Thank you MFW for your heart and dedication!
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

farmingfam

Unread post by farmingfam » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:10 am

We are just into the first few weeks of Kingdom Tales. I LOVE these stories! My children don't quite "get" them. I feel I have a lot of explaining to do afterwards, but that's OK. It's a good jumping off point for some great discussions. I think my older girls get the basic gist of the story, but the finer nuances are left to me alone, I guess. ha :) And cry?! My goodness, the other day I could hardly read I was crying so much reading the story A Girl Named Dirty. And I'm sure I'm not even into the more emotional stories yet - the ones you all have mentioned. I can't wait! I already feel I am learning more about this life in Christ and understanding a few things I had never really thought about - and I've been saved for years. This book is my favorite part of the day!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm

farmingfam -- welcome to the board! And welcome to the kleenex klub! :-)

I love that there's so much for me to learn while teaching this curriculum. And I think it's a good thing that our children see things that touch our hearts, even if they don't fully understand them.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

momonthemove

Best ages to read Kingdom Tales?

Unread post by momonthemove » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:40 am

purpleheartwife wrote:We just finished our 2nd week of ECC and started reading Kingdom Tales. I'm wondering if my kids are a little too young for it (the oldest is 8-almost 9). They don't really seem to be "getting" it. I have read so many posts about how people loved the book and I am just curious what ages your kids were when you read it. I would love to hear any replies! Thanks so much!
I have a 12 year old son and an 8 1/2 year old son. 5 year old daughter just walks away and doesn't even try to listen! LOL

My oldest is getting more out of it than my younger. I do stop occassionally and explain a few things for my younger as I read.

What I like is that it is allowing us to have really good discussions, particularly with my oldest, about God. We do a lot of real life application with the discussion questions.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Amy C.

Re: Best ages to read Kingdom Tales?

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 am

My dss were 10 and 8/9 (8 when we started school that year and turned 9 at end of Oct after school started). I was a little leary at first because of their ages (was not sure if they were ready for the content of some of the chapters) and because we had not really read allegorical books before this. But I decided to trust MFW and just go with it and I am really glad I did. We ended up loving it! I saw how the Lord used it along side some real-life events to teach us some real-life lessons and we were able to put it all together. Well, I did have to point it out and help put the pieces together for them, but truly the Lord was gracious to send those opportunities to us to help cement the biblical lessons in the book. I love when this happens!

I will say that my 8/9 year old (who is now 11) was more mature (ready for it) probably because he has the older brother, but he has typically been my sensitive one. Well, they both can be sensitive in different ways, but he has been my really sensitive one. I also will say that my oldest tried reading the Narnia series at some point after reading "Kingdom Tales" and quit reading (not sure at which book in the series) because it scared him. Kingdom Tales did not. The fact that I read Kingdom Tales aloud to them and was able to discuss it in contrast to the fact that my ds read Narnia to himself may have had something to do with it. I think that was key....me reading it aloud, us discussing it, and making sure they did not have any questions and/or answering the questions that they did have at the end of each chapter. And tying it in with scripture.

I also had a 5 year old who was just in and out playing while I was reading.

MFW does give heads-up warnings in the TM about some chapters. They recommend (depending on your family and ages of your children), the parent read the chapter ahead and condense the story in your own words.

So, you might try it, condensing where necessary. Of course, every family is different. Only you know your family well enough, but I will say that we would have missed a huge blessing if I had gone with my initial thoughts/feelings on it and had not read it.

Blessings as you decide!

Amy C.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Mine were 9 and 6 when we started reading Kingdom Tales. There were a couple of chapters that were a little intense but we also discussed and I answered their questions until they were satisfied with the answers or I referred them to their dad if needed. ;) One chapter I remember being particularly intense for my two was the one about a dragon. But I think it was because, if I remember correctly, the dragon was a pet that turned on its owner. The moral I believe was that sin may seem harmless at first but can eventually lead to death. All in all my two looked forward to this book every day and were a little saddened when it was over.

Like Amy C. I believe that my dd is more mature due to having an older brother. I will say that the book may not be for every 6 year old but mine faired just fine. Oh, and my dc don't watch or listen to violent or intense programs and such and I am very choosy about what they watch, read and listen to. But their dad has been reading the Bible in its entirety to them since they were little. I don't know if that made a difference.

I also wanted to add that I did not require that my then 6 y.o. sit in. She stayed because she wanted to.

I would say just try the book for a few more chapters and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then stop. No biggie.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Lamplighter sells it and has it listed for ages 9 - 99.

I pre-read it last winter and loved it. I thought it was too old for my then 8 year old. He turned 9 last week, and 6 months in childhood does make a difference. I think at this point he would be fine. Someone else mentioned Narnia, and he loves reading those books so I guess he really would be fine. I always enjoy explaining the allegory to him in the Narnia books that he reads.

So I guess I would say 9 and older, but that is me. Every family will differ. I might let my 7 sit in on KT, but probably not. My dd5 definitely not. I don't think they would scare her so much as give her the wrong ideas about some things due to a lack of understanding.

I can see though how ages 11 and older could truly end up loving and understanding the book as much as I did. I found it life changing.

purpleheartwife

Unread post by purpleheartwife » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:08 am

Thank you all for your kind replies:) I think we will continue reading Kingdom Tales for a few more weeks and just see how it goes. I do love the stories and I want them to enjoy the stories also. I was just worried if I pushed stories they weren't "getting" that they wouldn't enjoy such a fantastic book. I wasn't really concerned about the stories scarying them- we are actually reading the Narnia series right now and they don't seem to have any problems with that. I guess we will just see how it goes! I really do appreciate you all explaining what worked with you and what didn't- you have given me a lot to consider with reading Kingdom Tales! Thank You!
Erin
Wife to my Purple Heart Marine:)
Mom to ds8, dd6, ds3, ds1
Our 1st year with MFW, using ECC
http://wateronthefloor.blogspot.com/

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:27 pm

I tried to read KT to SS when we were in ECC. She was too young -- 8 I think. I put it away. I read some where on the board that it would great with RtR. We finished RtR and I read it to her at the beginning of the summer. She is now 10 (will be 11 in Aug. ). She enjoyed it. It was just right for her.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

Kab

Unread post by Kab » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 am

I am planning on reading it to my two girls 5 (almost 6) and 7 year old. I have pre-read it and I will be leaving/modifying the part about the dying mother out from chapter 1. Both of the girls love "Pilgrim's Progress" and I thought it was similar to that story. All that being said if I need to then I will put it away for a bit and try it again in a couple of years.
Learning to wait on the LORD
Happily married to a great husband.
Mommy to two beautiful young girls.
Working through CTG
Back after a year of Classical conversations
Living in beautiful Alberta Canada
~~~~***><>
**~~><>
GHOTI

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi, Erin,

We didn't use KT and still had a wonderful year with ECC. :)

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Mallorie

Kingdom Tales and ECC

Unread post by Mallorie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Just wanted to say, this is a highlight of ECC. We really, really enjoyed this book! :-)

asheslawson

ECC-Kingdom Tales

Unread post by asheslawson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm

BusyMom2Many wrote:Is it OK not to use Kingdom Tales? We really just don't enjoy it.
You definitely don't have to - you have to decide what you like in your home school and there is no reason the book is required.

I will say that at first I just wasn't into it and neither were my dc, so we got a little behind on it. But then I decided we'd push through and we ended up enjoying it - but not nearly like we enjoyed the "christian heroes" books about Nate Saint, George Mueller, Amy Carmichael, etc.....

That being said - it's odd that a book that we liked - but wasn't our favorite is still coming up now and then. My son will listen to something I read in the bible and say something like, "that reminds me of the trash dump outside the city," or "kind-of like the way the girl was tempted to keep the dragon". So in actuality - I'm glad I did stick with it even though I remember thinking I just wasn't sure I got into the story & thought about laying it aside.

Just my 2 cents....but it is your home school - that's part of what makes it so unique!! ;)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

albanyaloe

Re: ECC-Kingdom Tales

Unread post by albanyaloe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 pm

I think it is absolutely fine not to use Kingdom Tales. You know, I just did not like that book, I do not like fantasty.

But my husband liked it, and read it and said it was actually very good. So he read it to them, to see what they thought, and they really enjoyed it, much to my suprise. They found deep meaning in it, though it sounded really scary to me, they said it was not at all frightening. I also did not let my littlest listen to it, and my hubby said she wouldn't have coped- she is very sensitive.

I didn't feel like I missed out on a part of ECC by not reading it.

Kind regards,
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 pm

We didn't use Kingdom Tales, and ECC was still a really rich, indepth curriculum without it.

There are some things in the Deluxe package you won't want to skip - like the missionary biographies, which are amazing and contribute so much to what they're learning in the rest of the curriculum. (And never, ever, ever skip the geography game! :-) )

But I wouldn't worry at all about not doing Kingdom Tales; the curriculum is complete without it.

Have fun! ECC is a wonderful year!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

BusyMom2Many

Unread post by BusyMom2Many » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Thank you for the replies. We have dropped Kingdom Tales since my last post about it. I thought it had great meaning, but we didn't enjoy it.

I've found I'm don't mind using ECC since I dropped it. I love the other subjects and I'm looking forward to more years with MFW.
Mom to Many-Using ECC & K for the 1st time