Science - Worms in Week 2, lots of questions

BHelf

Re: Earthworms?

Unread post by BHelf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:21 am

The guy I bought them from said make sure you keep them in the fridge. If I kept them in there though they didn't move at all. So I took them out, and our air conditioner broke, it got super hot and they all died. Maybe keep them in the fridge some and then out of the fridge some??
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

lauramb

Unread post by lauramb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Well, we've transferred the worms to the jar with the soil and sand and oats as described in the book. But now what? Can I leave them out on top of our fridge? Our a/c works but we keep it only in the upper 70's, close to 80 in the house. It's not hot, but it's not cool. I noticed that the box they came in said to keep them at 32-34 degrees F. Is that just for storage? Will they be ok out of the fridge as they do their thing in the jar?

Maybe you're right, and I should put them in, maybe during the day and then leave them out at night? I, too, think they looked more active when they were out of the fridge. But maybe that was just their active time of day?

Does anyone have experience with this earthworm experiment?

TIA!

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Well, I definitely wouldn't put them on top of the fridge because it gets hot up there. Likewise dont put them on a counter that's above your dishwasher or near your cooktop or oven. Too much heat.
Um....since my experiement failed, I can't really tell you how it WILL work--just how it won't!! :) I'm thinking though that probably keeping them in the fridge during the hottest part of the day and leaving them out otherwise, might be a good option to try.
My husband googled something about earthworm niche experiments and was able to get you tube videos explaining some things. (After ours died, so it wasn't a ton of help over here, but if we try again I'll look that up for sure.) You might want to try that?

RBS in OH

Unread post by RBS in OH » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

We have the container of 12 Canadian Nightcrawlers and the man at the store said that they should live at least 3-4 weeks. A friend of ours says longer than that. We got ours about 2 1/2 weeks ago; I've checked on them and few times and they still look good. (They've been in the refrigerator, which is set at 34 degrees.)

I hadn't thought about where to store them during the experiment--I like the idea of out during the day and back in the refridge at night. Could they handle the change in temp so often????
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

I did not put mine in the fridge at all. I never thought about that. I would definitely have a problem with worms in the same fridge with my food even though they are in a jar, but that is just me. That is definitely a EEWWW! for me. Maybe it is sanitary since they are kept in a separate container, but EEWWWW! No offense to those who did, but that just kind of grosses me out. %| If I had had to keep the worms in the fridge, well.....I would have skipped the experiment all together. You ladies are better homeschooling mommas than me! :-)

My boys dug their own worms up and put them right into the jars. We kept ours on the floor of my utility room beside an air conditioner vent. I did not intend to have them by the vent that is just where they ended up. They started out on the window seal, but I thought that would be too hot with the sun shining through the window with the black construction paper around the jars. We keep our air set on low 70's so it probably never got warmer than mid-70's in our house. We had two jars, one with holes and on without. Definitely punch holes in the lid or use a cut section of pantyhose and tie on the top as a lid for air holes.

Just my take on and experience with the worm experiment....

Amy C.

RachelT

Re: ECC week 2 Worms-Ewwww!!

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:39 am

Ok, it looks like our poor worms didn't make it over the weekend either. We followed the instructions and screwed the lid back onto the peanut butter jar that we had everything in. Maybe they needed a little air?? I'm not sure if I should try it again?

Rachel ;)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

BHelf

Re: earthworm habitat

Unread post by BHelf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:22 pm

kcmyworld wrote:We're attempting the earthworm habitat suggested in the science portion of the first week in ECC. But we've developed a big case of mold in our habitat. Did this happen to anyone else? Do we start over or is mold beneficial to the earthworms in some way?
Robin
The verdicts all around are: poke holes or use some type of cloth over the lid to allow air. I assume you'll have to buy the worms for this at this time of year, but what do I know. :) Oh and keep in a cool location--which shouldn't be hard this time of year. When I did it, GA was having a major heat wave and our air conditioner broke shortly after we put the worms in the jar. They, um, exploded...oops. 8O But before they exploded we also had mold. Not sure why this is--maybe too much water on the oats? I thought if we tried it again I'd just throw some leaves in there. I mean, it's not like they're eating oatmeal outside my house, right? :)

kcmyworld

Re: earthworm habitat

Unread post by kcmyworld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks. For what it's worth, Walmart often sells earthworms in their fishing dept, just not sure if they are available in the winter. I got mine from a local bait shop. I poked holes in the lid from the get go, and after reading the suggested links, I'm thrilled to say ours have lasted a full week. I asked friends what they thought about the mold, and they suggested putting something in the jar to help absorb some of the moisture, like a cotton ball, or some jerky. I'll let you know what happens.

Postby kcmyworld » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm
Fopr what it's worth, the cotton ball worked to clear up the mold and it hasn't returned. At least a few of the worms are still alive. It's hard to tell without dumping it all out and starting again. When it's a bit warmer we'll release the worms to the front yard.

Robin

Julie - Staff

Science - Worms in Week 2

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Additional ideas may be posted in other areas of the message board.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=165 (ECC Ideas)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3542 (1st Ideas)