Book Reviews - Properties of Ecosystems (POE), helps

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: ECC Properties of Ecosystems

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

Hi Wendy - I was in the same boat as you doing POE with ECC with my dd. And that book was definitely not at a happy, sunny beach. I finally shelved it and maybe did a blue box thing every once in awhile.

We focussed more on the CBoA and learning about the climate from book basket.

Looking back, I feel like we missed something. The next year, my dd did Apologia Anatomy in a co-op and was learning terms that blew me away. She just loved it and never once thought of it as "hard." I think that if I had made POE more fun for her by being excited about it myself and playing around with the vocabulary words, she would have been more interested in it. I wish I would have asked for more help like you did, because I can see how even that BORING book could have been used better. If she doesn't remember everything or every term from POE, it's OK - there's still a ton of science going on with the animals and climate and topography, etc., but I wish you much more success with the book than I had. ECC is a really, really fun year!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
MelissaB

Re: ECC Properties of Ecosystems

Unread post by MelissaB »

Hi, Wendy,

We used ECC with our daughter when she was in 3rd grade, too. Like other Moms, it's a great idea to glance over the lesson each week and cover the highlights with them. Properties actually has great information, and we loved it.

Enjoy ECC!
Melissa
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
praisefor3

ECC Science - projects and POE

Unread post by praisefor3 »

abrightmom wrote:What kind of activities or projects are part of ECC? From my archive research I'm finding references to what I consider "big" projects (stuff to do with pots, worms, bins, etc.) and we don't have space to pull that off. Our home is Very Small and we have NO YARD or garage that can be used for staging or implementing an ongoing or messy project.

I am on the fence with ECC in general and need to understand more about the science. ANYTHING you can share with me will help tremendously. I'm especially interested in how POE is used. I love those books published by AIG but find that my oldest can easily read them independently. What does ECC do with that book that might convince me we'd enjoy the science as scheduled in the guide versus just reading through it on our own?

THANKS!! :-)
Katrina - I will get the discussion started but won't have a full answer so I'm sure others will chime in later. When we did ECC it was our first year with MFW. AT that time it was only age appropriate for one of my kids so that is the only experience I have had with it. He was in 6th grade. I will likely be using it next year with our daughter that will be in 3rd grade. I can't tell you that science was my favorite part of ECC but I didn't really dislike it either. I don't remember any big projects and I probably would remember them if they were overbearing because I don't like projects. :)

However, either way I definitely would not ditch ECC due to the science as I thought the rest of it was great...so great that we have now completed four additional levels of MFW and are working through two more right now. (My kids are all too far apart to do the same program at the same time.) Some will say that POE is boring and hard to read. Others will tell you that it's better for older kids. ...No matter what you decide about the science (use, supplement or substitute) ECC is a great year and I would highly encourage you not to base the decision on just the science.
momonthemove

Re: ECC Science - projects and POE

Unread post by momonthemove »

Well, we are doing ECC this year. My oldest (7th) was doing the Apologia General Science too and he didn't need both. My middle (3rd) is doing the Animal book. That is our science for him.

We did 1 month of the Properties of Ecosystems and then scrapped it. For whatever reason, it didn't click with us and wasn't a favorite. I have a book of fun science experiments we will be doing in December and again in April to finish our our year.

I love MFW's ECC and would encourage it. We did the worms, that didn't take much space. But, I remember alot of drawing. Not lots of experiments which my kids BEG for.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

abrightmom wrote:What kind of activities or projects are part of ECC?
I'm assuming you are wondering about science activities. Here's an example week from ECC, and science is there if you scroll down my long post: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 603#p85603

Here is a post about how science integrates with the geography in ECC (and then the science separately is the second half of this post):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 503#p67503

And finally, here's my conclusion after talking through POE with Lucy at the office:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 648#p80648

Hope that isn't too many links. Always a decision -- too many links vs. a LONG an explanation :)

Oh, and not sure what ages you have, but for 7-8th graders, the manual tells you to do part of POE to beef up their geography, adding the biomes info, since the ECC geo can be light for most 7-8th graders. The biomes are not part of their science. As someone already mentioned, Apologia is plenty of science on its own.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
unitlovinmama

Unread post by unitlovinmama »

I'm only eight weeks in but the only science project I have done so far is the earthworm niche. While it's fun to observe projects, I've found that my children also learn by just hearing about projects. They knew what the worms were going to do. There is a celery experiment in week 8 of ECC- you take the xylem out of one bunch and leave it in the other. You don't have to actually do it to talk about what will happen when you take the xylem out. For my 2nd and 3rd graders, it has been sufficient. A notebooking page could be drawn based on the conversation.

POE is a great book and I think it's perfect for older students to read independently. I summarize it for my kids.

I have thought about adding an Apologia Science at times, but then I remember the Book of Animals, all the Jeff Corwin and other geographical and nature documentaries we watch on Netflix, plus the information gleaned from literature like Owls in the Family (ornithology) and I realize they are getting plenty of science in a very natural way that works for us this year.
-Stephanie, HSing for 5 yrs, first year with MFW 2012-1013 (ECC).
Wife of 12 yrs, mama to three crazy but amazing kids (9, 7, and 3)
"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us..." Psalm 90:17
abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom »

Julie in MN wrote:Hope that isn't too many links. Always a decision -- too many links vs. a LONG an explanation :)
I like links Julie. Thanks!

And to all of you who have contributed to this thread, thank-you. My pros/cons list for ECC has developed nicely over the past couple of days and the Lord is at work here! Somehow, I think we'll end up doing the right program whether it's ECC or CTG (or neither I suppose). The kids are strongly in favor of ECC and I believe they would enjoy it. That carries a lot of weight despite MY struggles, ya know?

I'm not a very fun Mom and tend to like serious study." Let's get down to brass tacks with history and Bible!" Having to cook and do crafts freaks me out. But, they LOVE it so much. And I need to grow as a Mom in this area. So, I'm facing that in myself this week.
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

abrightmom wrote:I like links Julie. Thanks!
Whew, good!

abrightmom wrote:I'm not a very fun Mom and tend to like serious study." Let's get down to brass tacks with history and Bible!" Having to cook and do crafts freaks me out. But, they LOVE it so much. And I need to grow as a Mom in this area. So, I'm facing that in myself this week.
Another thing to think about in this regard.

Yes, talking about the science facts works as well as doing the experiments in the short term.

But now that my son is in 11th grade, he remembers the celery experiment from the ECC manual in 3rd grade, he remembers weighing the garbage from POE in 8th grade, I think he even remembers where a lot of the deserts are in the world from when we mapped out the ECC biomes, but he doesn't remember a whole lot about things we just "talked about."

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

Katrina,

your siggy line... you ask for some votes and weigh ins... on another person's thread yesterday, Julie linked back to a thread she wrote. realized it was written to you this past spring before you were at the point now with ECC and CTG decision... go read it again... I can't help but wonder... with what you said about getting into bible and history and rigor... well... maybe something else is really needed for his overall development... would a trip down memory lane help in the vote? I like her line here "Maybe for now he just needs to hover in place and enjoy the world of ECC"
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 663#p86663

If you need help to make ECC fun when you aren't a "fun style" teacher....or scared from it being "too boring".... we will help you on this forum to succeed in using MFW. It's ok to ask over here when it seems like it isn't what you hope.....

you had the question about how to do ECC and science when you don't have a backyard. Yes. these things can be done at a neighbor's, friends or park.

*early weeks with backyard habitat..... head to the park. pick up some rocks... look under them... . have fun
*you can get worms from walmart. and a jar.. maybe you don't even have to do the full experiment either... the bait shop at walmart has worms in a plastic cup..... you could transfer it to a slightly larger container that you might be able to see through (plastic jar or soda bottle... cover outside with some paper to keep it dark.. and yes.. you need to have some holes for air!)
*around week 5 there is another outdoor experiment. that involved being able to dig a small hole... it could be sand box at a park or playground, or even if you have growing containers for patio.. you just need to be able to feel that underneath the surface it is cooler.... that's the big thing...
*I forget what week the make a river experiment... we did that in a sandbox in our yard.. I can't remember the details....

*longer term science... in ECC where you might need some kitchen counter space... terrarium. get smaller fish tank.. here... I hate typing believe it or not... picture
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p65898
there's 2 projects there... terrarium and brazil crafts with the costumes on stuffed animals...
I used that same terrarium for the other longer term growth projects in ECC.... radish seeds, kiwi seeds, potato.....
do you have that kind of space somewhere?

anyway.... I really really liked ECC both times. If you have a feeling that ECC is the right thing for now with their ages and their excitement..... let this forum be a place where you can feel free to say "help... it's getting boring.. I need fresh ideas." or "help me.. . I don't have a back yard and we really want to do the project... toss ideas at me" MFW doesn't mind honest questions and honest pleas for help to succeed. lots of us here have done ECC and it was an overall good year. that doesn't mean that we didn't have roadbumps, or obstacles, nah... it just means we want to help make it a beautiful experience in the journey.

-crystal
abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom »

Ladies,

Busy weekend and only a teensy bit of forum time. :-) I just checked in and what a blessing to read your responses. Crystal, what a GREAT thread with wise words from Julie. I re-read and was challenged and blessed all.over.again. WHAT A YEAR! That was RIGHT before we found out Dad was dying and there went the summer/fall. Everything happened very quickly and we really didn't have any "control" over the schedule (do we ever?! :-) ). And, here I am once again considering these questions although I am hopeful that my oldest son is in a slightly better place spiritually....

DH and I are on the cusp of deciding as it is truly the last full week of October. The shipping sale is coming to an end and getting content rolling needs to happen as soon as possible. I'm not leaning one way or the other although MY preference is to skip ECC this time around.

James 1. He is faithful and He is good even in the midst of heart wrenching pain. Isaiah 26:3-4.
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8
Yodergoat

Ecc science

Unread post by Yodergoat »

jimmylaura wrote:I have a 2nd and 3rd grader that I will be doing ECC with this year. Would we miss out on a lot if we did Apologia Zoology instead of POE.
I'm choosing to forego Properties of Ecosystems with my 3rd grader, since she will re-do ECC in 8th. I'm only a few weeks into the program, but think it's going fine without using POE.

I think the Apologia zoology courses would be great as a substitute!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!
MelissaB

Re: Ecc science

Unread post by MelissaB »

Hi, Laura,

I agree; Apologia's zoology will go very well with ECC. The Apologia zoology book is very interesting. If you finish it early, the Aplg. marine biology book is our daughter's favorite. :)

May I make two recommendations?

1. Definitely purchase The Complete Book of Animals with your ECC pkg. It's a quick, easy read, and it will highlight the animals that live in the ecosystem of the country/continent you're studying each week. You can purchase only one book; they can answer the two to three questions at the bottom of each page together. :)

2. You might glance over the Properties of Ecosystems each week. While it probably is too advanced for a 2nd/3rd grader to read himself, it has a lot of interesting facts about the ecosystem of the continent you're studying. You'll see after only a few months how a people group's physical environment affects their cultural norms, traditions, & religion/s. It's really interesting… ;)

ECC was our favorite year (and they're all wonderful! :) ). Enjoy!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4