Geography - Why so few countries

cbollin

Geography - Why so few countries

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:49 pm

doubleportion wrote:For those who have done further into the 5 yrs cycle, why are only certain countries chosen for each continent in ECC? I know some of those countries will be included when we do CTG, but what about some of the other big countries. Three weeks seems a long time to study only Kenya when there are so many others in Africa as well. The same for South America why only Brazil? And then even Latin America? Cameron Townsend but no Guatemala? What are other experiences and what other countries end up getting covered in the future?

This is just for my own planning. If I know what will get covered in the future, then I can throw in an extra country here or there in a continent without repeating. I do know we have an extra two weeks on the end. But there seems so much more that we could dig into in Africa, South America, & Latin America. I already find myself wanting to do more while we are in the Mexico weeks. !! And yes, I do only have one doing ECC this year and that makes it easier.
:)
Edie
I found it helped me to remember that ECC is about studying the continents first, then key countries are secondary to that. And of course people groups play more important overall.

There are other ways than the "key focus" country that other places and people are studied in ECC. There's Window on the World -- so you get a little bit more on other people around the continent. The read alouds, like Saint and Townsend and Livingston --help to get into other areas that aren't the key focus country. But a lot of it comes with Window on the World.

Some times, it's through Global Art, or something in book basket.

Then in other years in the cycle (especially in 1850MOD) , you'll get a lot of South Africa and other places that weren't as key focus country as you studied the continent. But even in Africa in ECC -- you do some stuff in Northern Africa (and you'll get more of that in other years too), and other parts with W.o.t.W. Overall for the pace of going everywhere in the world in 34 weeks, you can't go everywhere. The Africa unit is 3 weeks. so stick with one main place, but you can go easily tuck in other parts.

This past year when we did Saudi Arabia, having hard time (even at my library) for book baskets on Saudi Arabia that didn't all say the same thing. So that was time for what I called "independent touring days". What I mean on that is like taking a group field trip: there was time built in for sightseeing or shopping or eating that wasn't part of the "not getting bogged down" schedule of the tour. the idea is to tour the world in 34 weeks. Retain stuff. Not get lost.

I found it easy to grab a video of another country close by. for whatever reason, all of the India DVD's were checked out the week I was doing India. So, we grabbed the Nepal one.

So other places/people are studied. But the idea is to use the continents as the main focus to tour the world.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: ECC Countries

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:07 pm

I agree that the focus is more on the continents, and all the countries are included that way when you map & read & pray & such.

But if you're asking why "only" a few countries are "visited" for the "culture immersion" part of ECC, well, I think that's a matter of depth vs. breadth. You can get to know 14 or 15 countries intimately, in order to really feel that the world has very interesting places in it. Or, you could visit one country a day all year & "visit" them all -- and at the end of the year it would probably be impossible to remember much about any particular place :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 pm

I don't really have an answer to your question and we are only 2 weeks into ECC. But is it an option for you to take your family on an overseas mission trip at all this school year? I realize it's not an option for everyone (financially it's not an option for us either but God provides!) but we have been presented with an opportunity (and God confirmed we should go) to go to Latvia for 2 weeks in September! It's not covered in ECC and we want to learn about it as part of our heart is there (a future adoptive son) and we feel God is calling us there for ministry in the future so what better way to study and learn about it than to actually be there! :)

Just a thought...
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Julie in MN wrote:I agree that the focus is more on the continents, and all the countries are included that way when you map & read & pray & such.

But if you're asking why "only" a few countries are "visited" for the "culture immersion" part of ECC, well, I think that's a matter of depth vs. breadth. You can get to know 14 or 15 countries intimately, in order to really feel that the world has very interesting places in it. Or, you could visit one country a day all year & "visit" them all -- and at the end of the year it would probably be impossible to remember much about any particular place :)
To add to this thought, there are also the research skills your child will learn, as well as playing the geography game and a host of other "helps" in the program, which will enable you/your family to do the research to find out more about any country you want to study.

So it's not just about visiting as many places as possible; it's about learning how to learn. Learning where to go to find answers. Learning how to pray for different types of needs all over the world. Trusting that God will (or may) place a particular place or people group on your hearts to study more in-depth (vs. just knowing little bits about many different places to which you have no personal attachment). Things like that.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:58 am

BHelf wrote:I don't really have an answer to your question and we are only 2 weeks into ECC. But is it an option for you to take your family on an overseas mission trip at all this school year?
Just a thought...
wow! good answer!

Another possibility is to serve as a sender for someone else who can take the trip. Your family can pray, financial support, send greeting cards, etc.... Take a look around your church or ask in co-ops about who is going where and ask God how to be part of it -- even if you are a sender.

I know in our current church the children's department sponsors a child through Compassion International. So, even though in ECC we focused on Brazil, it was easy while playing the geography game to talk about Bolivia, b/c that's where "victor" lives.

-crystal

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 am

cbollin wrote:Your family can pray, financial support, send greeting cards, etc.... Take a look around your church or ask in co-ops about who is going where and ask God how to be part of it -- even if you are a sender.

We already do this and plan on adding in the countries that we support missionaries in. We also have been penpals with MKs in the past and will start again this year later on. Our church at large supports allot of missions work, so that would be too much to add in all of them.

I was asking what is covered in the future and thus what countries by the end of the five years have not really been covered? Maybe I didn't word my question in such a way that people understood it.

E

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 am

doubleportion wrote: If I know what will get covered in the future, then I can throw in an extra country here or there in a continent without repeating. I do know we have an extra two weeks on the end. But there seems so much more that we could dig into in Africa, South America, & Latin America. I already find myself wanting to do more while we are in the Mexico weeks. !!

And yes, I do only have one doing ECC this year and that makes it easier.
Edie,
About possibly adding (after you get going & are sure this will work), awesome ideas about missions. And I'd say that all your ideas sound great, too. I also mostly taught one child in ECC (had a high schooler too), and I added one or two countries. Don't add too much, because lots of folks never get to Antarctica that way :)

- Europe is of course covered quite well throughout history as well as in ECC, so I agree I wouldn't worry about adding.

- The mideast is of course covered well in CTG, but it is far removed from modern cultures. However, ECC already covers 4 prominent Asian countries, so I see why you left that off your list.

- We went with our extended family to Belize during our ECC year, so of course we added that one from Latin America (I haven't noticed any coverage of Belize in other years). We also did a little on Panama in ECC (although that will be mentioned in 1850MOD). It was very easy to follow the same pattern & use the extra countries in Trip Around the World and other materials. There are also online homeschool sites that have stuff (check the ECC ideas forum).

- South America is covered in EX1850 and 1850MOD, but that's probably several years off for you, so adding wouldn't conflict for several years. One of the "Spanish speaking" countries would be a nice contrast with ECC's Brazil, the big "Portuguese speaking" country. So basically any of the other countries except the "colony" type countries such as French Guiana. (Oh, and Ecuador will become familiar while reading Nate Saint, so you wouldn't really need to add that.)

- Africa was really hard for us to keep track of, even though it's definitely covered regularly throughout MFW history. You definitely don't need to study Egypt, and I'd probably skip South Africa because it's so heavily European-influenced. I think Crystal posted something about doing a country from West Africa, and I think that's a great idea. I've also found it interesting to realize over the years (via MFW) how Africa's geography affected its interaction with the rest of the world. It's hard to get at, is mostly on a plateau, is dense, and so forth. Be sure to look at accessibility, whatever country you choose :)

There are a few more ideas along the lines of adding a country here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5018
(and you can post your ideas there, too !! )
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:20 am

It's hard to remember over a few years time... but using the Story of the World in years 3,4, and 5, you cover a lot of the world. I remember reading about China and Japan every so often, India and England are covered a lot, and Norway, France, Mexico, central Africa, South Africa, all around the Med. Sea, Russia and all the countries involved in WW I and WW II. I would say that I don't remember so much about Central and South America so far, without having done year 5 yet, nor some of the countries across the north of Africa (under the border, second row).
This is a VERY rough sketch, but maybe some of what you are looking for. Even in the American History years you are still keeping track of what is happening around the world.

Trying to help,

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

Just to add a bit of encouragement.... remember that your children are young and you still have lots of time. You'll have an opportunity to do ECC another time through when they're older, using the junior high supplements at that time which will involve a lot more research projects. Any areas that you feel like you need to cover that haven't been by that time, will get covered. :)

Don't worry... it's all good. Enjoy the ride! ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Julie in MN wrote:South America is covered in EX1850 and 1850MOD, but that's probably several years off for you, so adding wouldn't conflict for several years. One of the "Spanish speaking" countries would be a nice contrast with ECC's Brazil, the big "Portuguese speaking" country. So basically any of the other countries except the "colony" type countries such as French Guiana. (Oh, and Ecuador will become familiar while reading Nate Saint, so you wouldn't really need to add that.)

- Africa was really hard for us to keep track of, even though it's definitely covered regularly throughout MFW history. You definitely don't need to study Egypt, and I'd probably skip South Africa because it's so heavily European-influenced. I think Crystal posted something about doing a country from West Africa, and I think that's a great idea. I've also found it interesting to realize over the years (via MFW) how Africa's geography affected its interaction with the rest of the world. It's hard to get at, is mostly on a plateau, is dense, and so forth. Be sure to look at accessibility, whatever country you choose
Thanks, Julie!!! That helps allot. I was already planning on adding Paraguay to S. America since we support four families there in the rural areas. And now I know that I could choose one of the countries that Far Reaching Ministries works in Africa (we are involved with them as well), possibly Sudan and/or Uganda.

Finally, I was looking to add in a country that might be found where VOM works. Just to give my daughter a small (but sheltered) taste of what it is like in "closed" countries or countries where persecution is common for believers. VOM has such great children's materials that I wanted to be able to tie some of that in. When we read about Islam and then Judaism in Window on the World I was able to use a couple of pages that were part of their Bold Believers in the Gaza Westbank booklet. There also was a great chart called "Comparing Basic Beliefs in Christianity and Islam" in their Bold Believers in Pakistan booklet.
Julie in MN wrote:Spanish speaking" countries would be a nice contrast with ECC's Brazil, the big "Portuguese speaking" country
Yes!! That was my thoughts too. Especially since all the rest of S. America is Spanish speaking.

I didn't intend on adding a whole lot more but just needed to know what is covered in depth in the future. This gives me some great info to go on.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in on this!

:)
Edie

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Oh, Crystal! No wonder they were so willing to overlook the boxes. :(

If it's of any comfort.... similar thing happened to us once, when we had our house on the market a couple years ago. They wanted two, count 'em TWO hours for their appt. So AFTER the clean-up time and packing up 3 kids and 2 animals, I've got 2 hours to kill on a 100-degree day in August, dh was gone somewhere so it was up to me, and we girls didn't have anywhere to go for that length of time so we just sort of wandered around town... went to the park (too hot to stay there long), went to a restaurant to get cooled down (which required spending money), and I forget what else we did to kill time. Finally get back home and guess what. It was a NO SHOW. 8O :| 8|

((HUGS))

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 pm

doubleportion wrote:I didn't intend on adding a whole lot more but just needed to know what is covered in depth in the future. This gives me some great info to go on.
Edie,
Glad you're getting somewhere in thinking thru this now.

I just want to re-emphasize that any coverage of a country's history in the future will be very different than covering the culture in ECC.

For instance, soon after learning about the American Revolution, we learned of the revolution in Haiti. It was a good comparison of what happened *after* a revolution. But it was not a study in Haiti's culture or even geography. It was purely a political history type thing.

Also this year in 1850MOD (SOTW), we learned about several countries in South America. We learned about conflicts between Paraguay, Uraguay, and Argentina. We learned how Chile & Peru gained control of the valuable coastline. We learned about conflicts based on political independence and other conflicts based on Gold mining. But we didn't learn anything about rainforests or how to say hello in Spanish or what delicious foods are prepared locally.

So I'd say to forget most of the later coverage issues & just enjoy whatever countries you are drawn to enjoy!
Julie

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:04 am

They had to narrow it down somehow or ECC could take years! I know some key countries are omitted from ECC because they factor heavily into other year plans. If there is one or two you are particularly interested in you can always add them, it's not too hard really.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids