Schedule - Can ECC be done in a 4-day week?

Julie in MN

Schedule - Can ECC be done in a 4-day week?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:17 pm

Anitra wrote:I plan to start Ecc in a couple of weeks, but was wondering if anyone had ever used it in four day weeks and if so, how it was done. I have three children that all have special needs and find myself on the road a couple of days a week going to vision therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, and doctor appointments. I am beginning to feel stressed about it all and was hoping some one might have some ideas for me.
Anitra
Anitra,
We pretty much did ECC in 4-day weeks last year, because of co-ops & activities. (My youngest is virtually an "only" and benefitted from some interaction.)

If you look at your ECC manual, you will see that Fridays are very light. This is because so many homeschoolers basically school in 4 days. And of course that can be shuffled around, and Friday doesn't have to be the lite day.

On our off day, the only thing I would plan for was the morning Writing activity (which sometimes happened in the afternoon on those days). Because of my ds's aversion to writing, I had him do the morning writing even on our days off, rather than combining days. He just read/copy the Bible verse, or we read the 2-page mission story & he copied the one-sentence character trait. And it was nice to always have Bible as part of our day.

But that was just us -- it's not like they are long at all, so doing 2 of these things in one day should work for most kids.

Or, if you don't want to bunch things up, and don't want to do anything on your off days, just keep going with them one at a time & you will catch up. For instance, every so often there are weeks where you do not copy character traits, so you will be able to "catch up" on those.

Julie
P.S. The first few weeks of ECC are a little busier, but you could stretch them out if you need to.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

DS4home

schedules

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:10 pm

We also school 3 to 4 days of the week, rarely 5! And our day off varies from week to week. What I have done in the past is not get too hung up on the weekly format, and just do the next days work when we do a day of school. The ECC teachers manuel is very gracious in that it doesn't even have day headers on the schedules, even though it is layed out in 5 columns. I like that I don't have to feel out of whack by looking at a Tuesday list when we are doing it on Friday!! Thank you to the Hazell's for that little insightful blessing :) HTH Dawn

kellybell

Not really 4-day?

Unread post by kellybell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:42 am

Amygirl wrote:I just purchased my first MFW curriculum (ECC) under the impression that it was a 4-day program. I received my manual this week and see that there are several subjects scheduled on Fridays--Help! We are involved in a co-op ALL day Fridays. Anyone have experience converting this into a true 4-day curriculum?
ECC will fit nicely in a four-day week. The grid in the book gives you a "light Friday" instead of a totally empty one.

Simply move those Friday activities to another day. The grids in ECC can be rearranged to fit your family. They are just sort of a generic, light-Friday sort of plan.

With both ECC and CTG, we had four day weeks due to an all-day co-op. We did just fine. If you need to, get rid of ECC activities that are duplicated in your co-op. So, if your co-op does art, skip or reduce the ECC art.

So, just rearrange the schedule to fit your needs. You might need to tweak it here and there, but a few weeks after starting ECC, you'll see how to do it best for your situation.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:43 am

Add on a bit more here about this.

In ECC weeks 1 and 2 have a "heavier" Friday (5th day) than do any of the rest of the weeks. Once you pass those first two weeks, then Fridays (5th day, light and independent day) become very light and could be done at supper time in most cases.

Typically scheduled is Bible reading and test on memory verses. We tested our verses out loud in the van while driving around. The other "scheduled" activities include to read aloud or do some independent reading.

Don't skip the Geography vocabulary. The weekly letter writing can be done on a different day. Since it is included in the English section of the grid, you could easily move the Letter writing to Thursday.

Usually when there was an activity in the Geography section on a Friday, it involved FOOD! Ideally you could be cooking. In my reality, it was have a trip to the store and get something pre made. We have several international grocery stores in our university town so it more fun for us that way. And there is no reason that you couldn't do the food activity on the weekend either.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble reshuffling the 5th day into the week once you are past weeks 1 and 2.

--crystal

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Hi Amy-

I did ECC and 1st with my 3 older children last year (ds7, ds9, and dd11) and also am involved in co-op classes once a week. I found that ECC worked well even being gone one day.

Some things we doubled up on another day (this was not difficult with the Hero Tales, geography or science readings;) other things we just skipped (I'm sorry to say very few people got letters from our children...I'm going to work on that this year though!) We typically did our cooking on Saturday or on Friday (which was actually Thursday on the ECC grid...our classes are on Mon.) I modified the vocab card this year also...I printed out a card with the word. I started having the children copy a definition I had written, but then moved on to printing that too. They drew a picture on the card for the word...and really learned the terms well! I tried to do some errands on Mondays too, so another day would not be broken up.

I don't know how far of a drive you have, but we also do quite a bit in the car. We always have a book on tape in process (our library has a lot and has free ILL.) I also have flash cards for math in there to run through if we have to wait somewhere. My younger son did MFW 1st this year and often did his Bible notebook page on the way to Grandma's (we have almost daily chores there.)

I hope you don't feel too overwhelmed...we loved our year with ECC and are looking ahead to CtG for this year!

In Christ, Molly

4Truth

Anyone do a 4 day week - with ECC particularly?

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:42 pm

SusanH wrote:WE are starting ECC in the fall. We do a Community Bible Study on Wednesday mornings from 10-12 - by the time we get home and have lunch it is usually 1:30-2:00. And often not in any mood to sit for longer to have school. Also, every other week we participate in a co-op on Tuesday that goes for most of the day - 10-2.

I am trying to figure out if it would be better to try and scrunch days together from the schedule OR would it be better to just go day by day, instead of week by week, ie - just going thru the TM lessons and not really pay attention to what day it is, just do the next days lessons no matter what day it is in real life. KWIM? Any suggestions?
Since MFW schedules "light" Fridays anyway, it would be very easy to do a 4-day week. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

TriciaMR

Re: Anyone do a 4 day week - with ECC particularly?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Personally, I have found "scrunching" wears me out. I just do the "next day" whenever it falls. The first 2 weeks of ECC are more intense, and would be more difficult to squeeze, I think. My kids have P.E. and dance in the afternoon class one day a week (fortunately, they fall on the same day), so I try to make the lighter day be on that day, but if it doesn't work out, I just try to go with it. Sometimes you get a day that just seems lighter than others, and you can often do a little extra that day.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:20 pm

We do a four day week. Some weeks since the "Friday" is light, we do the work during one of the four days. Other weeks I just do it the next day we do school. We're doing ECC. I think it just depends on your family and your situation. If you and your kids are able to double up that, you will; if not, you will either skip some things or just do it the next day you do school. It will work out just fine.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm

We do four days a week. We just spread out whatever is scheduled on Friday throughout the other four days. The exception is when a special meal or fun type of activity is scheduled on Friday (which is sometimes all that is scheduled on Friday) we will do it with Dad on Friday evening. We've done this for ECC, and CtG, and it's been quite easy.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 am

I've always done a 4 day week, through the entire 5 year cycle:-). The "5th" day has been light enough 99% of the time to just put it with one of the other days and it not be a big deal at all. If it happened to be more for some reason (and I can only think of a handful of times this happened in 5 years), then we just did it the next week. We do CBS as well, and MFW works great as a 4 day curriculum - we do not do school on CBS days.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

RB

Unread post by RB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 am

We did ECC (and Adventures) as a 4 day week since we do an academic co-op once a week. It worked just fine, but...there are times when I think how nice it would be to really have that "light and independent Friday" :) I found that we never quite got to letter writing and nature walks, and we got behind on Math :( But we had other enriching experiences that we would have missed if we's skipped the co-op. Seems like there's always choices to make and pray about. But it really works just fine to squash the 5 day week into 4.
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

my3sons

Unread post by my3sons » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:28 am

We did ECC this year in 3.5 days. Tuesdays were co-op day and Wednesday mornings we went to CBS. That was too much- I felt stressed much of the time trying to get everything done and also felt that we cut too much out. I think had we only done one of those things, it would have been much easier to fit it all in and enjoyed the journey more. After prayer,we have decided for us not to do CBS this coming year with 1st and CTG, but to continue with co-op.

Agreed that the things that are scheduled on Friday are generally easy to fit in on another day.
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:12 am

Does anyone have experience with "just doing the next day," like Susan originally asked? Wouldn't it seem odd to change continents in the middle of a week in ECC, or is that just my Type A screaming?
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 pm

we do it that way. It works fine even with a child on the spectrum. Our life is crazy. At least one day a week we don't get to school because of appointments and therapy and life. Of course we school year round. So I don't stress but it does take the full year to complete the curriculum. We do take a week off here and there. Like when we moved and at christmas. We will probably be going to inlaws this summer for a week and won't do school. We probably take as many days off as those who don't school during the summer. I like it because then I don't have to stress about trying to get things done by a certain time of year.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote: Does anyone have experience with "just doing the next day," like Susan originally asked? Wouldn't it seem odd to change continents in the middle of a week in ECC, or is that just my Type A screaming?
That's what we did the year we did ECC. My kids get sick, and other stuff comes up. We just did whatever the day fell on. If I needed the "light" day to fall on dance day, then I might slow down or speed up, depending on what was in the schedule. We also have to do a certain number of days we're required by law that we have to school, so that's another reason why I don't squish days 5 days into 4 days. We have to have "172 days of school." DD got pneumonia that year, and other illness, and we didn't finish our 172 days until the first week of June.

It really wasn't that weird changing mid-week. In fact, it kind of livened things up. :) The only thing you might want to watch is when you take Christmas break, that you've actually finished up a country, so you don't have a 2 week break and forget everything about that country and then have to refresh the brain...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

DS4home

Can ECC be done in three days a week?

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:17 pm

samiam wrote:We'll be doing ECC next Fall, with grades 8th, 3rd and tagalong K.

I am contemplating having DS (8th) take a few classes at a private Christian school that offers the University model for classes (ie M/W/F or T/Th). I am thinking he will take two classes, probably on T/Th. Probably a science or Comp, or Spanish. But if we go that route, that leaves M/W/F for DS at home, doing full work. Then T/Th he would probably only do half-work at home due to going to class.

Will it be possible to get MFW ECC done, in a nice well-rounded way, with a schedule like this. Or am I going to be going crazy trying to have him get it all done?
I think it could be done, if you have a motivated child that does a fair amount independently. I am half way through ECC with a 7th grader right now. Fridays are intentionally a light day on the schedule, outside of Bible you only do the vocabulary card for geography and no science. So ECC is very doable in 4 days.

The next lightest day I'm finding is on Wednesday of the schedule. Geography is scheduled but the science is always a nature walk. So that makes it feel lighter without the bookwork to do for science. A nature walk can easily be moved to a Saturday afternoon. With that in mind, you would have to double up on the Geography one day. I think it can be done with an older child.

This is all on the family grid for ECC. The next part to consider is the part of the grid for only 7-8 graders. World Geog. is scheduled twice a week. They are also to do a report on every country, and there is time scheduled to do this twice a week. That is four solid days of work, and would take a self motivated person to commit to doubleing up on this part one day a week to be able to get it all done in three days. The other item on the 7-8 grade grid is reading. There are several good books all scheduled out throughout the year at four days a week. My 7the grade ds is not a strong reader, and really has to work at keeping up, sometimes using weekends to catch up.

I hope this helps paint the picture of what to expect in the ECC work load. Maybe he can still do some reading on one of his class days. You should really evaluate how much homework/reading would be needed for these other classes too. I take my ds to the school every day for Band. That takes an hour a day and only around 20 min or so of practice every night for that class. If he had an hour or more of homework though I would find it daunting :~

It's a lot to think through. And I'm the type of person who always tries to make it all work ;) I also have high schoolers who have taken a number of different classes at our local hs. I understand wanting to take advantage of what's available, and yet still do all the homeschool subjects too :) It can be done, but it makes for a very busy year. Know what's ahead of you and decide if you can commit to the hecticness (is that a word?) of it before hand, that will keep you going in the midst of it !! Yes, my dd(10th grade) signed up for 4 year long classes this year! She made it through first semester, but she's really dragging now. Our motto though is once you start you can't quit until it's over. She will have to complete second semester, but she's already decided to scale back next year! She's learning early in life that she can't do it all ;) Now if only her momma can learn that, LOL :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MelissaM

Re: Can ECC be done in three days a week?

Unread post by MelissaM » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 am

I guess my first thought is that if one of his outside classes is writing or science, you could consider that as a sub for the assignments in that subject in the MFW grid. Which might make it doable. But I find ECC a pretty full schedule on its own, at least so far. (I am only doing it with a 4th grader though, and she is not nearly as independent as an 8th grader would be, I'd think.)

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2