DELUXE - Is ECC complete without it?

doubleportion

DELUXE - Is ECC complete without it?

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 am

Blessedsimplicitymom wrote:If you were....
on a very limited budget for homeschool expenses for the coming year, but you wanted to make the switch to MFW, would it be possible to just get the guides and use stuff from the library and free online resources based on whatever is being covered in the guides? I actually already have math and language books that I can use for them, but what about the other stuff. If not, what is essential besides the guides? Thanks, sara
If by "guides" you mean the Teacher's Manual? Yes, you need the TM and all the books included in the basic package. It is designed to be used specifically with the books included in the basic package. If you were to shop around and try and find the books through other sources new you would probably find that MFW's package price is still cheaper than buying everything separately.

HTH

Edie

Julie in MN

Re: If you were...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Sara,
I have a post here on my computer that I contributed last winter when someone else was in your shoes. I'll copy it here in case it helps. I'll adapt it first, because I see it was regarding an 8th grader. I'll assume you don't have an 8th grader and change that part of my old post.

I'll just add that after lots of discussion last winter, I think she realized it was cheaper to just get the set. But sometimes we have to really think through these things. And pray specifically, so you know when your prayer is answered with the specific amount.
  • *IF* your budget is extremely tight, here's where I think you *might* be able to make do. But be sure you will save over $54.35 or it will just be cheaper to get the package. Sometimes folks end up spending a LOT more by subbing here and there.

Hero Tales / Christian Heroes set - there is some overlap here, so it's possible you could skip one? Be aware that copywork of a character trait is scheduled after each Hero Tales story, which is valuable. And the read-alouds were life-changing for my 3rd grader, but some families use other read-alouds.

Wall Map of the World - you may have a world map.

Maps and Globes - this is only used for a week or so. It's possible you could get it from the library or substitute with another library book on basic map skills such as longitude/latitude. It's cheap, though, and covers more aspects of geography than you realize at first.

Geography from A to Z - this is for vocab each Friday. You might use the specific words suggested in the teacher manual, but look them up elsewhere. The book is very kid-friendly, though. Sometimes looking up definitions elsewhere can leave kids :~

A Trip Around the World & Another Trip Around the World - if you skip them, you might find some words in the local language to try, some "fun facts" about the specific country to add interest, some activities to do regarding the country, and some kind of little "fun worksheet" on occasion. Or get these books & make it easier on yourself

Living World Encyclopedia/Properties of Ecosystems - it's possible you could just do one and spend lots of time doing nature walks & reading library books about each biome (desert, rainforest, etc).

Global Art - if your student isn't very artsy or if you already have lots of artsy stuff around the house, you could skip this. It's crafts that relate to the nations, and in some ways it helps you experience the culture.

Wee Sing Around the World - your library may have international music you could substitute, but be sure to stick with kids music because it's hard to screen for objectionable content in foreign languages. This one is safe and has a booklet with lyrics & extra tidbits on the country

Passport & Flag Sticker Book - not crucial, but things like this can make the year special.

World Geography - could skip if your kids are about 4th and under, or could possibly find a few worksheets online to experience research.

Parent/Teacher Supplement - the most important part is having your own game board and playing pieces, so you can play with the kids. I suppose if you are getting several student sheets, you could just have the kids play together.

Illustrated World Atlas / Intermediate World Atlas - if you have a map atlas plus a children's atlas with information and pictures about countries, you could use those, but you'd have to pre-plan the page numbers so you don't end up skipping this or spending your day looking for things

I'd suggest getting these for sure & talking to the office about the rest:
    Teacher's Manual, 2nd Edition
    Student Sheets (one per student)
    Window on the World
    God Speaks Numanggang
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

schoolmom2

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 am

Agreeing with Julie. I just looked and thought through all my books on the shelf for ECC, and I really think those are the crucial ones. There are so many online resources for free - you might have to put in a little more prep time, but it sure would save money. Before purchasing the basic set, I price-compared at ebay, Amazon, and thriftbooks.com. You will save money just purchasing the whole set from MFW.

Regarding the teacher packet - I think this could possibly be skipped if finances are really tight. There are so many online geography games that you could make on your own. The blackline maps are available with the click of a button, also. And if you already own Chinese checkers, you're set!

Beth

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:27 am

I agree with Julie and Fly2peace - if I were in that situation (and I *have* been in the past, for sure! More about that later), I'd go really simple for Kindergarten, and work on getting the essentials for ECC. Julie's list of what is essential/priority is a good one.

There was a year that I really though we weren't going to be able to use MFW - the funds, even to get the TM just were not there. I researched some other stuff, but none of it was MFW, and it just didn't satisfy! :-) So, I prayed and prayed some more, and we found the money to get just the TM and a few of the most essential books from that year. A few were available from the library, so I got them, and then renewed them as many times as I could:-). Then as the weeks went on, I got a book here and a book there, and by about the middle of the year, I had all of them. I'm sure I wound up spending about the same as the package, but I just didn't have enough to get a package at the time. It worked for us. The Lord was faithful to provide, and the year really went great!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

schoolmom2

Do I really need the Deluxe Package?

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:52 pm

OklahomaJamie wrote: What are your opinions on this? Do I REALLY need the Deluxe package in ECC?

I'm really broke and I'm just wondering if I can fully do the lessons without the deluxe package. What do I do when I come to a part where one of the suggested books in the deluxe pkg is called for and I don't have it? Will we be missing out? or are there other books suggestions that I could get at the library to take their place? Thank you so much!
Jamie
I bought the basic package, and we are not missing out on anything. Find free origami patterns online, check out missionary stories from the library, even if they aren't the YWAM versions. The only part I wouldn't skip is the Kingdom Tales, but even that can be found at a discount online, and you can make up your own questions to make sure your kids are understanding the allegory, and how it relates to their lives.

doubleportion

Re: Do I really need the Deluxe Package?

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Allot of the missionary stories are included in a simpler version in the Hero Tales book from the basic package. Also have to say for us Kingdom Tales was little over my dd head at the time but she was in 3rd grade. Your ds might enjoy it, but it totally something you could do at another time if you can buy it later.

The Basic Package has lots to do. You might be able to find the YWAM biographies at your library or used somewhere. They are really good. I didn't care much for David Livingstone, but that is just me. My favorites were Nate Saint, Georger Muller, Gladys Aylward and Amy Carmichael. Cameron Townsend was good but had some dull moments for me.

Edie

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 am

The only things we didn't really need from ECC where the blow up globe, wall map and origami set. Our schoolroom has a wall that is covered with a floor to ceiling map, so that's why we didn't need the map, we had a HUGE blow up globe already, so that's why we didn't need that. We never got to use the origami set sadly. That week was crazy busy at our house. Stored it in the ECC crate for the next cycle around.

We LOVED the missionary stories and Kingdom Tales! Couldn't have imagined the year without them. They were my daughter's favorite parts of the school day.
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 am

schoolmom2 wrote: The only part I wouldn't skip is the Kingdom Tales, but even that can be found at a discount online, and you can make up your own questions to make sure your kids are understanding the allegory, and how it relates to their lives.
A note about Kingdom Tales:

Kingdom Tales (retails for $24.95) is the title of the book published by My Father's World that contains all 36 tales that are contained in the original three book series (each retail for $25 each). We made some minor edits by permission, to make the book more appropriate for a wider range of listeners and added the discussion questions. So if you look for these tales used or discounted be sure that you are either purchasing Kingdom Tales published by My Father's World or purchase all three from the series if you want to follow along with the readings assigned in the Exploring Countries and Cultures 2nd edition Teacher's Manual.

If you have further questions, please let me know or call the office at 573-426-4600.

Lucy

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Lucy made an excellent point. My daughter and I have some wonderful discussions using the notes at the end of each story. To me, the book wouldn't be as effective without those sections. So, I'd make sure that you purchased from MFW. Of course, we purchase 99% of our stuff from them anyways. :)
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

cbollin

Re: ECC, When do we need what books?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:44 pm

OklahomaJamie wrote:If I order the Basic Package now, then order books from the Deluxe Package as I need them, what books will I need at what time during the year?

I know it will cost more in the long run this way, I'm just trying to figure out how I can save a little money for right now. Thanks,
Jamie
From Deluxe

Kingdom Tales - will be used early on... starts week 2 if you do it by the schedule
Inflatable Globe - all year.
The Great Animal Search - potential all year if you get this book.
Fun with Easy Origami -- japan weeks. you can use other library books for this, and get paper.

Christian Heroes: Then and Now - six book set
Cameron Townsend - about week 5 to start
Amy Carmichael - in the Asia weeks, (check the TOC sample http://mfwbooks.com/pdf/eccsample.pdf for approximate time)
Nate Saint - south america, week 9?
David Livingstone - Africa - week 18 ish
George Müller - Europe weeks
Gladys Aylward - also in Asia weeks (check the table of contents sample http://mfwbooks.com/pdf/eccsample.pdf for approximate time)

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: ECC, When do we need what books?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Kingdom Tales is read at various times throughout the year, and you begin it starting in week 2.

For the missionary biographies, Cameron Townsend, Nate Saint, and George Muller are used in the first half of the year, and David Livingstone, Amy Charmichael, and Gladys Aylward are used during the second half. You can get more of the flow for that by looking at the ECC sample on the MFW website.
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/eccsample.pdf

The Great Animal Search can be used for each continent. Easy Origami is used for Japan.

HTH

(was typing same time as Crystal -- I don't know how much repeats, I just realized the time and have to rush out!)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:05 pm

If you have a Dollar General close, they have origami kits in the toy department for $1 each. They are animals and will make 7 if I remember correctly. I only bought the basic package because my friend is letting me borrow her missionary biographies. So I was excited to snatch up the $1 origami kits for when we study Japan.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

ncmom2boys

ECC - Basic vs. Deluxe

Unread post by ncmom2boys » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:59 pm

MelissaM wrote:I'm not sure that, financially speaking, it would be wise for me to order the deluxe package right now - though I want to. Can anyone tell me what I'd be missing out on from the deluxe? I know there are the missionary biographies, but actually I think I know someone who owns those, and I'm sure she'd let me borrow them. What about the Kingdom Tales book? Is it not to be missed? Is it used from the first week, or would it be okay to wait a month or so and then order it?

Anything else in the deluxe package that is a must-have? I really want to go ahead and get it here asap, so we can get started without making our school year longer - I know by the end of May, I will be ready for a break! Thanks for any help!
Melissa
I used ECC a few years ago. I also could only afford the basic package. ECC Basic was very full for us, but my dc were only 3rd and 4th grade at that time.

Blessings on your ECC journey - you'll enjoy it!
ncmom2boys~Kim
Homeschooling mom since 2003 to 2 boys 11 & 12
Adventures
ECC

Julie in MN

Re: ECC - Basic vs. Deluxe

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am

I think if you can borrow the missionary stories, that would be most essential. Those were very life-changing for my then-third-grader, and really for my family. They're part of what ECC is "about" -- to me, at least.

If your kids are young, you may want to get the Kingdom Tales book later for read-alouds when there are none others scheduled. It's really 3 books, so could be fit into 3 different slots, say during RTR. Or, if you find you can get it later this year, just read the 1st book and wait for an opportunity to read the next. But definitely it's an excellent book to read at some point!

The other things offer fun alongside of learning, but to me are the most optional. Although, you might end up spending just as much by subbing them out.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rawbanana

Unread post by rawbanana » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:31 pm

You'll be fine with just the basic package =)
MY BLOG!
http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/
Anna-mom of 4 girls, 1 boy
Savannah 09/00
Ariel 02/02
Skylar 10/03
Jaidyn 06/05[/color
]
Joshua 02/08
Started ECC July 2010!

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I only got Basic this year. I did find some origami sets at Dollar General for $1. Our church library has missionary biographies. I did order the Animal Book for my 2nd grader and she loves it. But I find the basic to be very full.
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:30 pm

I highly recommend the Kingdom Tales book. My dd and I have enjoyed them immensely! We are on the edge of our seats as we read them. They are wonderful allegories of Christ and the Kingdom of God. Even if you don't read them during ECC, try to fit them in during the summer or sometime. They really are wonderful!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:25 am

As far as effectiveness of the program, you'll be totally fine with the basic package. But we SO LOVE Kingdom Tales and all the missionary biographies - if you can get your hands on those, I highly, highly recommend them!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks everyone! Dd is in 4th grade, I have a ds in MFW K and another ds, 1yo who likes to....help us. I just ordered the Basic set, and now am so excited! Can't wait for it to get here, so we can jump in.

I will ask my friend about borrowing the missionary biographies and will keep Kingdom Tales in mind for a future purchase - I'm glad to know that we will get a lot out of it, even if we use it "out of sync."

Oh, I am SO SO excited and ready for this change! I've been praying for months that God would prepare me for this, and now I feel so peaceful, I know He has. He's so good.

Thank you again,
Melissa
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

DS4home

Basic VS. Deluxe Package

Unread post by DS4home » Sat May 28, 2011 9:34 pm

davimee wrote:I know the deluxe package is really recommended, but I'm just not sure we can financially do it all this year. (Oh, I'm referring to ECC.) If you had to pick only two or three items out of the deluxe package, what would you pick? We already have the Gladys Aylward and George Muller books. Our library doesn't have the other Christian Heroes books, but there are similar books we could find. I'm thinking about maybe just getting the Kingdom Tales book, and possibly one other thing from the deluxe set. What do you all recommend? Thanks!
Emily
I'm looking at the items in the delux and here's my take on it.

Inflatable Globe: we only used this in the first two weeks introducing the continents, with games of tossing it around. The rest of the year we have used the wall map. It could be used more than we did, but that's just what happened here. This could easily be skipped.

Fun with Origami: again, only used for two weeks in the Japan unit. Our library had several books on origami to check out. This wouldn't need to be purchased.

The Great Animal Search: my kids have really enjoyed this. We have used it throughout the year with every continent. I would hate to miss this one. :)

Kingdom Tales: love, love, love this book :-) Don't miss it, but like Julie mentioned, you could save it for another year - just don't forget to come back and do it if you put it off!

Christian Heroes: these really helped shape my kids view of what walking the walk of being a christian is all about. I'm glad you have a couple of them. Maybe you could get a couple more for this year? Do you have any fellow homeschoolers around that might have them and let you borrow? The two you have will be used in Europe and Asia. Maybe you could look at getting one for the Americas and one for Africa.

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Busymom

Re: Basic VS. Deluxe Package

Unread post by Busymom » Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 pm

davimee wrote:Thank you for your input! It looks like getting the deluxe package would be beneficial, if it's possible... today I decided I've just got to trust God to provide for everything, rather than worrying on my own limitations. :) Funny how I always seem to forget that He provides just the right thing at just the right time... and I spend so much time and energy worrying, when I really just need to remember that He always works everything out. :)
Another thought on the Christian Heroes books, does your church have a library? If so, they may carry those; or perhaps you could request that they add them. They are "good ones" to own though.
davimee wrote:Oh, and I have another question... if we already have the Operation World wall map and book, would we need the world map, illustrated world atlas and classroom atlas? I think we've got another atlas book around here somewhere, too...
Emily
Because of the savings MFW builds into their packages, if you bought the basic package it would still cost less than if you were to buy each item individually and leave out those 3 items. Did that make sense? :) --Just something to keep in mind.

Looking forward to the Portland conference!!! I'm hoping David Hazell makes it to this one; I do believe he was at the last 2. However, I noticed he wasn't the one listed to speak for the MFW workshops, so it makes me wonder.
Tiffany, Mom to 9 (ages 16 mo. to 14 yrs; 5 girls and 4 boys)

davimee

Unread post by davimee » Sun May 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi Tiffany, I don't believe our church has a library, but I have thought of asking our public library to order the Christian Heroes books. And we own a few other books in the basic package, so we could save between $40 and $50 by piecing it together. Even so, I'd really prefer buying the whole package, that way I can be sure I don't forget anything. :) Plus I want to support MFW for all the work they put into it. I'll just have to wait and see if the finances are there by next month. :)

We won't be going to the entire conference, just the exhibit hall. But I'm hoping I'll be able to buy a CD with the workshop about combining classical, Charlotte Mason, and Unit Studies. I wish they offered that one here on the MFW site, but I'll look for it at the convention. I'm looking forward to seeing all the materials in person! :)
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

Busymom

Unread post by Busymom » Sun May 29, 2011 10:10 pm

I bought their workshop set when I ordered ECC last year; love them! I actually just re-listened to one today! They are so encouraging; I highly recommend them.

BTW, at the conference they'll also have old cds of past David Hazell workshops. You can also order them off Ocean's website anytime. Ok, I just checked it out. There's only 1 that MFW doesn't carry; it's "Help, my homeschool is chaos!"
Tiffany, Mom to 9 (ages 16 mo. to 14 yrs; 5 girls and 4 boys)

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon May 30, 2011 12:19 am

I agree with several others...we enjoyed origami...and the globe...well - I've intended to use it but it's still in the pkg. (Slapping my own hand right now - haha.) Animal search was also very enjoyed...but could be easily left out. We enjoyed Kingdom Tales - but nowhere near as much as we enjoyed the Christian Tales of Amy Carmichael, Nate Saint, George Muller, David Livingstone, Gladys Aylward, Cameron Towsend. These have created beautiful discussions and a true heart for missions in my children, particularly my 10 yr old son. They always left him begging me to keep reading. He loves these stories & they are the would not miss part of ECC - if I had to choose to order this in basic.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

momma2boys

Basic vs. Deluxe Packages

Unread post by momma2boys » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 pm

HomeschoolHarvest wrote:I think I'm going to order K and ECC programs to start this year, but I'm a little confused as to how the packages work. What is the difference between the basic and deluxe? I don't want to be stuck without something, but if they are just neat extras I may be able to economize a bit.
Thanks,
Kristen
Well, I can't speak for the K program because we didn't find MFW until we did ADV... but I can answer for ECC. We really loved ECC, btw. It's been our favorite year so far.

Anyhow, I highly recommend adding everything from the Deluxe package if you can. If you have a good library system, you might be able to find some of the Christian Heroes. These are excellent books that we all enjoyed a lot. Also, I think that the book, Kingdom Tales, was an absolute favorite for us. Well worth the money. I can't remember what else comes with the Deluxe package? The origami book? My son did enjoy that as well. None of the items in the Deluxe pkg are required, but I'm really glad that we have the Christian Heroes and Kingdom Tales in our library. :)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com