Bible translation fundraising ideas

MFW Board Admin

Bible translation fundraising ideas

Unread post by MFW Board Admin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 am

Share your ideas and success stories about raising funds for Bible translation. Your idea or success story may be just what another one of us needs to hear. Let's join together to bring God's Word to all the people of the world.

Julie in MN

Re: Bible translation fundraising ideas

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 pm

What a wonderful idea for a thread. I hope bumping it up will get some ideas going!

I remember having some of these conversations in days past, such as...
Raising funds as service thread: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9428

We haven't done anything fun at our house, besides setting aside little amounts, but I know when I was a Girl Scout leader, lots of troops did things that were really successful:
- Car washes always seem to do well, especially if a gas station allows you to use their lot
- Selling something locally that offers nonprofit help, such as plant bulbs, Yankee candles, our local Fannie May store & Jamba Juice shop offer fundraisers, and there are online websites for fundraisers
- Sometimes stores don't have fundraising programs but do offer gifts or gift cards for you to use to host an event with prizes or snacks
- Have one of those parties for Tupperware or Pampered Chef type things
- Some online vendors are now offering fundraisers such as an ad I got from LibraryAndEd.com
- Raffling off something you make or a basket you put together or just things you never used that might get good bids
- Garage sales, sometimes getting a group to pitch in all their items, and advertising it as a fundraiser
- Service like a wrap-a-thon at Christmastime or babysitting on Valentine's Day
- A performance such as a talent show or play with a freewill offering for your cause
- Pledges for various "how long can I keep going" types of things, like Crystal's daughter's read-a-thons
- Working at an event such as a homeschool book sale, and selling lunch, soda, babysitting, bag check
- One co-op we were in passed out little plastic tubes that used to hold mini M&Ms, and you were to bring them home & try to fill them with quarters for a charity

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

narrow4life

Unread post by narrow4life » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Julie, that is impressive that you remembered a post from that far back. It has some good ideas in it!

We have done a hot chocolate stand during the cold months which has done pretty well. At garage sales we will have little snacks and water/soda for sale which people seem to love. I remember one time hardly any of those sold, but most of the time they would.

In college we provided free printing and distribution of coupon cards for 3 businesses if they would provide a pretty good offer. Each card had these 3 coupons on it and it was worth over $5 if each coupon on the card was used. We then sold them for $1 (though some people would pay more since it was a fundraiser). The printing company made money, we raised funds, the businesses got free printing and marketing of coupons, and people got to save money when using the coupons. That was a fun project and raised over $300 and was done in a small town of under 1,500 people.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 pm

How perfect this thread is for us, because we are in the midst of a fundraiser for Bible translation right now. In January, our family decided that we will choose a cause each year as a focus for our giving, and we will do fundraising for that project, as well. This year, our focus is Bible translation. Our family, including our daughters, sets aside money for this. My mom sells Tupperware, and she suggested we do a fundraiser for our Bible translation project. We did a catalog show, and raised $148 for Bible translation. Some people decided not to order Tupperware but donated for Bible translation anyway. So, we've probably raised about $250 to $300 so far. We will be sending that in to God's Word for the Nations soon.

Later in the summer, our small town holds a community days, and people can set up booths in the park to sell things and such. My mom will come with her Tupperware, my daughters sell baked goods, and we will set up a table to raise money for Bible translation. The possibilites are endless! Bible translation has been on my heart ever since we studied Exploring Countries and Cultures 2 years ago. The biography of Cameron Townsend and David's book God Speaks Numanggang are especially moving.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MFW Board Admin

Unread post by MFW Board Admin » Wed May 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Thank you for sharing! Some great ideas here!!

Here is another way to get involved. Maybe your family can organize a group collection with their friends and family, area homeschool groups, and church:

God's Word for the Nations has teamed up with Recycle with Integrity to help raise funds with old electronics.
Gather up old cell phones, mp3/mp4 players, PDAs, and laptops. These can be sent in for recycling and generate funds for Bible Translation!

Simply mail the items to:
My Father's World
c/o: Recycle Admin
1370 S. Bishop Ave.
Rolla, MO 65401

We have already generated nearly $100 in recycled donations with just a few phones and a really old laptop! We are now doing a city wide collection and have over 30 phones, 2 laptops, and an iPod to send in. Combining this with your efforts from many different states can make a huge difference!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm

ECDaddy wrote:God's Word for the Nations has teamed up with Recycle with Integrity to help raise funds with old electronics.
Gather up old cell phones, mp3/mp4 players, PDAs, and laptops. These can be sent in for recycling and generate funds for Bible Translation!
I love that idea! An incentive to clean out our old phone box. Knowing it can help is always an incentive for me.

narrow4life

Unread post by narrow4life » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:01 pm

I've known restaurants and amusement parks (putt-putt and family type fun centers) to have benefit nights where the group helps the business out that night and the business gives percentage of sales to the group. The group helps bring in a lot more business by letting all their friends/family know and then help the business cover the expense by working during that time. The times I've been involved with this, it has done very well.

DadOfFour

Unread post by DadOfFour » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 pm

We've got a bunch of local restaurants that help a lot with fundraisers. They typically will give 10% of a bill towards your fundraiser. Just have to get enough flyers handed out at your church/work to make it add up.