ECC inspires family mission trip

TNLisa

ECC inspires family mission trip

Unread post by TNLisa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Everyone - I just wanted to share that our family was able to go on a missions trip recently to Central America. We had begun praying for the opportunity back in July when we began our ECC studies. It is amazing how God worked in our family, our hearts, our plans, to bring us to this point. It was our first missions trip (for all 4 of us) and it was amazing. We will never be the same again.

I just want to thank the My Father's World community, staff, the Hazells... our lives have been touched in ways that go deeper than "school" could ever reach. This year of our lives (the first using MFW) has been absolutely incredible.

Blessings,
Lisa
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

niki

Unread post by niki » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:47 am

What an amazing opportunity. I am looking for that too when my kids get a little older. I have a prayer that we will spend one school year (at least) on the mission field. The road ahead of us in in the hands of the Potter. He has a purpose for all these things.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:14 am

What a fabulous opportunity! Please share a bit about your trip. We have supported missionaries in the Nicauragua area for years and I know that there were people affected deeply by Hurricane Felix.

I love it when our "school" and "life" are one in the same!
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

TNLisa

Unread post by TNLisa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:28 pm

We went to Honduras. Our trip "mission" was twofold - we served in a Christian orphanage there, doing projects, maintenance, and played (lots) with the children. We had a wonderful time interacting with the children and building relationships with them. They are well taken care of, in a good school, and are safe.

We also raised enough funds in the U.S. to purchase food at the local markets there to bag up and feed approximately 4,000 people who live along the river - "the river people" - basically squatters who have nothing. NOTHING. The deprivation of that community was so heart-wrenching. We worked our behinds off - going to bed dead tired each night. It was the kind of work tho that you didn't "feel" like you were working.

One of my favorite memories is of my kids interacting with the river children as we passed out food, candy, etc. The smiles, the touches... beautiful. We all enjoyed being immersed in a Spanish speaking country - made each of us want to keep doing our Rosetta Stone program! But it is definitely an unsafe country... and the locals were a bit taken aback at times that "Americans" would come to help them.

I would go back in a heartbeat.
Lisa

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:37 pm

I wasn't going to post... but I did want to take a quick look at your blog, and now that I have, I feel like I have to post! And tell you thank you so much for telling us all about your trip.

Wonderful. Just wonderful to see God work like that in your family. I couldn't help crying as I looked at the pics of your kids, happy to be there instead of Disney or somewhere, serving, loving, giving.

Well, ok, I was doing alright with NOT crying until I read the part about your dd giving her toys away. Then I couldn't stop.

Thanks very much... I needed to hear a story like that today.

I hope you get to go back.
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

AES

Unread post by AES » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:40 am

What a wonderful and exciting opportunity to serve the Lord! And I was reading your blog as well; God is so faithful and good!
Looking forward to part II.
Amy E.

TNLisa

Unread post by TNLisa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Thank you all for your sweet and encouraging words. Yesterday we were able to share about our trip with a video at church. I think one of the best parts is being able to share the connection of it all with our decision to use the My Father's World program.

For those interested, "Part 2" has been posted. It's hard to put into words everything we experienced, and continue to feel. It seems like each day God is showing us something different since we've been home. The scripture memory in ECC has been perfectly timed. We've been finishing Matthew 25:40 this week...God is so good!
Lisa

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:36 am

Lisa-
The impact this trip will make (and has made) on your children's outlook on what life is really about is huge!

Thanks for sharing your heart!
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT