Encouragement for how to move forward

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
zimmfamily

Encouragement for how to move forward

Unread post by zimmfamily » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello MFW families,

We started our homeschooling journey with MFW and did kinder and first grade with my oldest daughter back in 2011/12 and 2012/13. After that, we regretfully bounced and stumbled around from curriculum to curriculum. Over the past 4 years in particular we have moved 5 times and added a two more babies (we now have 5 kiddos). We are also healing from 2.5 years of difficulty and struggle in our marriage—a season in which school definitely sat on the back burner. Everything we have done in the past 5 years has been hit or miss, at best. Just over a year ago, I ordered language arts materials from MFW (and we have slowly been working through these) and ECC (which we have yet to start). I am considering starting ECC next month.

I am panicking a little because my oldest is technically in 6th grade now and is behind in her language arts (I got her grade 4 stuff from MFW last year) and math and has had random exposure to history. I also have a 3rd grader, 1st grader, 3.5 yr old and 10 month old. My 3rd and 1st graders are both working through MFW 1st language arts (at different speeds).

I am wondering how I can best help my oldest with the years I have left. Where do I focus my limited time and energy—realistically? Is it best to follow the family cycle from the beginning—or do I skip to modern history after ECC she nice she’ll start again with ancient in high school?

I sincerely appreciate and will take to heart any advice or encouragement you mamas might have!

Annie

manyblessings

Re: Encouragement for how to move forward

Unread post by manyblessings » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 am

Hugs to you, momma. I could have written your post many years ago. First, breathe. It's okay to meet your children right where they are, as far as academics. If you look at the website, in the language arts recommendations section for grades 2-8, it says if your child is entering grade 7 without basic grammar instruction, you can go ahead and complete Language Lessons for Today Grade 6 in the first 6 weeks, and go on into Applications of Grammar. If your child is doing at least Writing Strands 3 or Writing Sills for Today A in 6th grade, she can enter grade 7 and go right onto the 1st half of Writing With Skill. So what I'm saying is, if your 6th grader is doing MFW 4th grade language arts, she's not really very behind. Second, considering all that your family has been overcoming in the past few years, and considering the size and composition of your family, I think ECC is a perfect place to start. It is a good foundational year before entering the history cycle. If this will be mainly 7th for your now 6th grader, you will also add the 7th-8th grade supplement, and grade 7 science for her. Third, don't fret about her doing CTG in 8th and Ancients in 9th. It will still be a different experience, as the high school level covers topics in greater depth, and the 9th grade student will be learning to work independently. Fourth, your younger children will really also benefit greatly from starting in ECC-it's a fun year, and of course you would not require as much from them as your older daughter. Lastly, you are a great mom doing a great job of slowing academics down while your family overcame some challenges. Taking care of yourself and your family spiritually and emotionally comes first. I hope that something I've said here has encouraged you, and given you some practical considerations, so that you can move forward with confidence. :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

zimmfamily

Re: Encouragement for how to move forward

Unread post by zimmfamily » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:04 am

Thank you so much! I am so very encouraged! It helps put my mind at ease to know my oldest could easily “catch up” (sometimes I tend to want to check all the boxes and complete all the steps in order that I literally don’t see the options where we can jump in where we are and figure out the places that need adjusting—so thank you for pointing that out!). I’m also glad to hear ECC is a good place to start with our family dynamics and that even after just two years in the family cycle, it will be a good transition for my oldest into high school. For some reason, getting confirmation from another real life homeschooling mama really does give me confidence to move forward! Thank you for affirming we’re on the right track. And I feel the big, warm hug of validating the pause of schooling to prioritize family and healing...thank you.