Schedule for teaching multiple young children

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
allgrace

Schedule for teaching multiple young children

Unread post by allgrace » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Hello,
I am teaching CTG to my 4th grader ( though all join in) MFW 1st grade, MFW K( we just started) and I have a 3 year old ( we do preschool when we can fit it in. He likes the one on one time with me) and he is potty training and a 1 year old. I am wondering if anyone could share advice on how to schedule our day? I have been getting my oldest started on spelling or math first. Then I work with my eager kinder girl who would work all day on school. Then I check on my son and get him started on what's next. Then I work with my 1st grader. Then we all do some of CTG or have lunch. After lunch we finish CTG for the day and I finish up my 4th graders lessons. Then I read or do some preschool with my 3 year old. The day feels full and chaotic at times. There is always character issues and discipline too. We don't always finish a whole day but just do what we can for everyone.
Any advice from experienced moms?
Thanks
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜

wbbeachbum

Re: Schedule for teaching multiple young children

Unread post by wbbeachbum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 am

Much love for this busy season!

It has been awhile since I had many littles in the mix.

Teach all of CtG, and only reading and math of 1st and K.
Help to foster independence. For the 10 yo this may mean using some sort of workbox system or a simplified check list.

I never taught the preschool program. But for my under 5s, I had a busy box of the day set up. I had 4 separate boxes with preschool toys, books, etc. and each school day the littles had something to work on and keep them busy and happy. Separate story time with under 5s happened at bedtime (and all the kids could listen in) or I had older children read preschool books to the younger kids (good reading practice!).

Having a daily routine that rarely varies, helps my kids stay on track. In this daily schedule, have time for the elders to spend time with the youngers to help free up teaching time with the other kids. This may look like the elder reading a story to the 3 yo before nap time or spending 30 minutes playing with the baby or helping the younger kids with their busy box. Maybe the 1st grader can read a simple story to the baby or draw with the 3 yo.

Routine, routine, routine. Make the day so routine, that the kids just wake up and get started without prompting from you. A set routine also will solve many of the discipline problems that happen when kids get bored and unsure what to do next.

HTH

Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09

Currently homeschooling 16yo ds, 13yo dd, 13 yo dd, & 7 yo dd.
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp1850, 1850MOD, AHL, & WHL

SaraJ7

Unread post by SaraJ7 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Wow! I feel for you, Mama. Keep up the good work and diligence. You are doing a great job.

At one point in our homeschooling journey, my kids were scheduled to do CtG, MFW 1st grade, I had a 3 year old and was pregnant with the 4th. In order to simplify my life and the entire family, I chose to only attempt one total curriculum for all kids. So I bought the CtG and read the Bible, History and Science form that curriculum to ALL the kids. Some of it went over the younger one's head, but most was easily adaptable with the books in the curriculum and the book basket. To add, I paraphrased a lot of the information in Streams of Civilization and the Science book. They got bored with some of it. But, the Journey Through the Bible and Ancient World books still are good ones for our kids. They are easily understood and have good illustrations.

Then as the other Mom mentioned, only do reading and math with each child individually. Ideally, have all your school kids sit at the table together and you can float around and help each one as needed...in between getting the climbing one year old off kitchen counter and cleaning up potty training accidents of the 3 year old. ;)

Story time at night before bedtime with Dad. Maybe he could even read a chapter of the curriculum read aloud books before bed. Also if Dad is willing, he could sit and listen while the 4th grader and 1st grader read out loud to him. That would take some pressure off you during the day.

Also, if I were you, I would quit trying to "do" preschool with the 3 year old. You don't have to take my advice. However, the routine of listening to the Bible reading, history and science every day is school enough. The 3 year old can sit at the table with the other school age kids for seat work and draw, but I wouldn't stress out over preschool. He/she is getting preschool enough having to be a part of big kid school every day. And really, all a 3 year old needs is reading books and cuddles. He/she will be fine when it comes to kindergarten. Lastly, the 3 year old could possibly help play "blanket time" (spread a blanket on the floor with age appropriate toys) with the 1 year old while you are trying to get the seat work done with the school age kids. In a perfect world, this sounds so easy. I know that every day has its struggles and that every day is different. But try to establish a routine and it may help minimize the chaos.
Free range kids on the farm :)

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Thank you for your replies. They are helpful. I have considered not doing preschool, but I honestly just do 10 min. and not every day. We do have a routine, but we will work on tightening them up. I am doing Math and Language arts for 1st and K. I do add in the K activities as we have time. My K girl is so eager to learn and I love MFW K. It is hard to skip stuff, but that is one area I can. I don't think we will ever be done by lunch. My oldest works best with breaks so we end up spreading school throughout the day. I have tried to be done before lunch but it feels rushed and stressful.
Thanks again.

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:05 am

Update:
We have a good routine! I wrote out a routine and we have been sticking to it! Our days are going better. God has helped me to change my perspective also and be realistic about how much academic work we can do and how loving and training my kids is so important and must come first. Thank you all again for your support and advice!
Grace