Family devotional

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
klewfor3

Family devotional

Unread post by klewfor3 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am

Hello!

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I am having a tough time finding what I am looking for. We have done family devotions in the past and I especially try to do them in the summer when we aren't doing Bible in school, AWANAS, etc. BUT, I really would like to have devotional that has a story to go along with the scripture reading...but (GULP) not a Bible story. The thing is, stories are amazing, and we all love a great story in our family, but I can't find a devotional that does this. We are involved in all sorts of things that teach from the Word, memorize scripture, etc. So I was looking for a change of pace for the devotion...but still Christ centered.

When I was growing up my parents had a devotional we used that did this but I can't remember what it was called. Any suggestions? Online it is overwhelming!

Thanks!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Julie - Staff

Re: Family devotional

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am

Hi Kathy,

I thought I'd give you something to read while you wait for replies this holiday week :)

Here's a thread that includes devotional ideas used by various families:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2865

And I was wondering if you'd taken a look at the new Tales From Cherry Lane. It's on the young side but it looks like you have a range of ages, and it is stories. It centers around 5 families. Each episode is about a normal childhood event that teaches a lesson about one of the 10 commandments or 9 fruit of the spirit, without really saying so. For example, a boy's mother helps him learn to forgive and understand another boy who has purposely done mean things, along the way mentioning what Jesus said about do not murder & anger. Here's the sample to see if it would fit your ages: https://www.mfwbooks.com/itemFiles/01301_S_012319.pdf

Blessings on finding the perfect thing for your family!
Julie

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 am

Have you ever tried any of Marty Machowski's devotionals? One reads a passage from the Bible, a synopsis of what was read, and then there are some questions afterward for the family to discuss. He has one on the Old Testament, New Testament, Proverbs, and Theology that I can think of at the moment.

Sallylourn

Unread post by Sallylourn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Maybe you are thinking of Keys for Kids. My mom used this devotional when I was a kid, and we still use it now with our kids. It is on many Christian radio stations daily. There are also an online version and a print version available.
Sarah, wife of Steve
Mom of Timothy (13), Talia (10), Violet (6), and Lydia (3)
2016-2017 ECC (first year homeschooling)
2017-2018 CTG and VOD
2018-2019 RTR and K
2019-2020 Exp to 1850 and 1st