Need an opinion from Spelling Power Users

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Sallylourn

Need an opinion from Spelling Power Users

Unread post by Sallylourn » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 pm

I have been using Spelling Power for a few years and was wondering about something. I have an 8th grader who is overall a pretty good speller. He went through Level J last year, and this year, when I tested him for placement, he tested into Level
I, which he did in 6th grade. Needless to say, he was kind of upset about this. I am wondering if I should make him go through Level I again, or if I should just skip to Level K and do that. Any opinions?
Sarah, wife of Steve
Mom of Timothy (13), Talia (10), Violet (6), and Lydia (3)
2016-2017 ECC (first year homeschooling)
2017-2018 CTG and VOD
2018-2019 RTR and K
2019-2020 Exp to 1850 and 1st

DS4home

Re: Need an opinion from Spelling Power Users

Unread post by DS4home » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:26 am

I have run into this before with one of my kids. Here's what I did. I gave the review tests as a regular list. So each day for a couple of weeks we did the review lists for level I, practicing any missed words, etc. I probably skipped the first Delayed Recall Test (it's been a while). But I did all the tests at the end of the level, Delayed Recall and End of Level Test.

I think just spending a couple of weeks at the beginning of the school year reviewing a little bit won't hurt anything. You'll be moving on to Level J quickly enough. ;)

---Ooops, I missed the part about completing Level J. I would keep doing the same thing though. Maybe tweak it a little, like just do the first Delayed Recall in the middle of Level I on the first day. See how he does. Then maybe start the regular Review Tests from there. If he's getting them all correct it shouldn't take much time to move through the level. You will likely notice somewhere in level J where he misses more words. I might stop there and begin the regular method of moving through the lists at that point.
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie - Staff

Re: Need an opinion from Spelling Power Users

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm glad you got some real-life, experienced ideas from Dawn.

Another idea for an 8th grader who is a pretty good speller is to let go of spelling and just use the vocab in science and in Progeny Press Guides for building on those skills. Most students need to work on spelling up through 6th grade, but after that it is recommended on an as-needed basis.

Julie