1st grade, Bean Cup Question

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
godnluv

1st grade, Bean Cup Question

Unread post by godnluv »

We just recently reached over 100 days and I notice that there is no directions on adding a "hundreds" bean cup...did I miss something? Do we need one? It's unclear to me what to do. Help please :)
Julie - Staff

Re: 1st grade, Bean Cup Question

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Hello and welcome!

You should have instructions for Beyond 100 in your Student Sheets, including the bean cup activity. You are correct that a third cup would be great -- you have the 1s cup with unglued beans and the 10s cup with glued beans, and you can continue to put new 10-bean-sticks into the 10s cup even after 100 -- if you have a fairly large cup. However, I think you are correct that some students might enjoy moving the first ten 10-bean-sticks into a separate 100s cup (or maybe use a hair tie to group ten 10s together) so students can easily "count the 100s" as well as the 10s and 1s each day.

Does that help at all?
Julie
godnluv

Unread post by godnluv »

Thank you for your reply. Yes I do have a "Beyond 100" sheet but it doesn't say anything about adding a new cup, it just says to "Count the hundreds, tens, and ones". So that's where I feel like something is missing. How do we teach them to count the hundreds separate from the tens now in a way that we have been? Even my little caught that right away. From your response, it looks like for some reason there was never even a suggested way to do this so that's why I'm confused, but I will try what you suggested which was what I was going to do any way. Thanks!
Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Glad to hear you have a plan!

The "Beyond 100" activities were new additions in 2019, and we hope families find them valuable for their students.

Because they are new, your feedback is helpful and I will pass along your and your student's comments to see if we can clarify this for families.

Have fun with that little kindergartner :)

Julie