SOTW 3

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
bethinga

SOTW 3

Unread post by bethinga »

We have loved using SOTW in the past, but this year, we just aren’t enjoying it. It seems to give unnecessary details, not in an engaging, story-like way, as in the past. There have also been more than usual references to the grisly way people died or were killed. Any recommendations for a different history spine? ETA: We are up to week 16 of Exp1850.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012
Julie - Staff

Re: SOTW 3

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Hi Beth,

Your post looks lonely, so I thought I'd chat even though I didn't use an alternative history spine.

I do think that, as we get closer to modern history, there are many more details that we are aware of, so it can seem like a lot. Hopefully you have at least one child in 6th grade or older, who is ready for more in-depth history.

Some options we discussed in the office:
  • You might use the audiobook, and let the narrator do the reading for you.
  • You might summarize some chapters for your kids.
  • You might use Book Basket to highlight more interesting aspects of the historical period. For instance, artists in Week 15, quilts in Week 21, the Constitution, and coming up are books about the various states that begin joining the union.
  • Be sure to just read the daily assignment and not double up to create overload.
Fortunately, in Weeks 15-24, George Washington's World becomes the major history text, with a few SOTW chapters coming up on occasion when they are relevant. I hope you are enjoying the change of pace!

Julie
bethinga

Thanks so much!

Another thing I’ve encountered this year that was surprising is all the summaries. I’m used to the TM kinda walking me through what to do, but there wasn’t much explanation for how to do those, or why so many. We’ve found ways to work through them together, but it was very stressful for the first half of the year.

We’ll be finishing up the second half of Exp1850 when we start back to school. Any tips you could offer would be great. RTR had very few days of summaries, then Exp1850 has them almost daily. It’s especially difficult because there’s far more information in history on a daily basis than there used to be. (I got some tips from FB groups, but directly from MFW might be better.)
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012
bethinga

I should mention, my kids are 11 (upcoming 6th) and 13 (upcoming 8th). We began Exp1850 in February, after taking 1.5 yrs to complete RTR. We had a lot of life-happenings going on that year, and also just enjoyed digging deeper with the Middle Ages. Thanks!
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012
Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

bethinga wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:06 am
Another thing I’ve encountered this year that was surprising is all the summaries. I’m used to the TM kinda walking me through what to do, but there wasn’t much explanation for how to do those, or why so many. We’ve found ways to work through them together, but it was very stressful for the first half of the year.

We’ll be finishing up the second half of Exp1850 when we start back to school. Any tips you could offer would be great. RTR had very few days of summaries, then Exp1850 has them almost daily. It’s especially difficult because there’s far more information in history on a daily basis than there used to be. (I got some tips from FB groups, but directly from MFW might be better.)
Yes, everything ramps up as you get toward the end of the family cycle. History is just "more" when we study the times that actually reflect our own holidays, coins, buildings, grandparents. It was easier to skim over Egyptian pharaohs or Roman emperors.

However, the oldest student in the family is also growing up and moving into middle school, so they are typically ready for more depth. And we want our middle schoolers to be preparing for high school and college and general adult citizenship.

Hopefully students have been building their notebooking muscles by first narrating what they are learning, and by remembering the previous years when notebook pages were designed for them (such as coloring pages) and briefly written by them, so they are ready to start increasing the amount of info they include.

When my students needed more guidance, especially when summarizing a longer life such as George Washington, then I often picked up the book(s) we had just read and started reading off chapter titles or section headings, asking what we had learned about in that chapter. I encouraged my son to take a few notes during that conversation, so he wouldn't instantly forget again. Some families actually have students take notes as they read, which can work if you don't have students rewriting entire books LOL. Doing the review as a family as you described sounds like another great method.

Keep in mind that these pages are taking the place of worksheets, reports, and other assignments to reinforce what is being learned. And this Charlotte Mason method helps students "own" the information they are learning, rather than fill-it-in-and-forget. No two notebooks need to look alike -- students can type, draw, print out, copy quotes, glue things on, map, etc. When my son was taking dual enrollment college courses, he often received good marks when he would present info to the class in creative ways, including humor. I always enjoy young Elijah's notebook page in the CTG samples. https://www.mfwbooks.com/item/95203/Stu ... -Creation/

If more ideas are needed, then I can brainstorm with others in the office to see what worked in other families. You might also check the Message Board for other ways families reinforced what they were learning, to break things up. For instance, the Ideas board (you'll see my poor son was often doing even more notebooking than scheduled LOL): viewforum.php?f=28

Each year does have its challenges, alongside its unique blessings.
Julie
bethinga

Thank you so much for all of your help! I’m getting excited to start back already!
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012