ECC Question

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Jessica

ECC Question

Unread post by Jessica »

Hello All,
My family are currently a quarter of the way through ECC with our 2 girls, 11 and 9, we have had some set backs schedule-wise already with a family emergency that had me out of town for a few days and also contracting COVID-19 in early October that cause an unexpected 2 week break in school for us. I sat and looked at our schedule yesterday and realized that if I wanted us to finish all 36 weeks we would be well into June and some of July before we would be finished with ECC. My question is two fold: 1) should we push on and finish all of ECC even if we go into the summer or should we do as far as we can until June and then leave the rest? 2) if we do go into the summer how much should we push "school" time to get it accomplished?

This is our first year homeschooling. We had planned to homeschool in a few years time but once distance learning happened last spring I got to see first hand how difficult a time both my girls were having and also how far behind they seemed in several areas so after much prayer and discussion we jumped aboard the homeschooling train earlier than we anticipated. We love MFW so far and ECC is enjoyable for all of us. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered similar situations and how they have handled it? And I know some families school year round and I would love to hear their advice on making school work during those summer months when all kids really want to do is play and have fun. My Husband and I aren't opposed to doing school in the summer months but we do know our girls; school is not always a big hit with them come June, and our summer schedules are usually pretty full with camping, hiking, family trips and family visiting, etc.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks All
Jessica
Mom to Peyton (11) and Vivienne (9)
DS4home

Re: ECC Question

Unread post by DS4home »

Welcome to homeschooling! I'm glad you have found MFW and that it's working for you!
Our family may not be the norm, but I will say we rarely, almost never, found ourselves finishing the year's curriculum by mid May, because, as you know, life just happens. We also get very busy in the summer. I usually push our regular school day schedule up until the first week it starts to get busy, sometime in June, trying to get as much in as possible.
It's early to start figuring out where you'll be by then, unless you are thinking of tweaking your holiday breaks. I know some like to take a whole week off at Thanksgiving. We followed the public schools and did school through Wed of that week. So as the holidays come, I hope you will feel the freedom to make a schedule that works for your family. If taking two or three weeks off for Christmas is too much, then find what works better. It may even change year to year, as far as how much time off you feel comfortable with.
We have cycled through the ECC year a couple of times. I might have looked ahead and decided to skip one of the countries. That gained us two weeks to not be so far behind. ECC is a bit more flexible that way. It's harder to do that with history ;)
Homeschooling is so rewarding, just enjoy the process and don't stress too much on the details. Don't be a slave to the curriculum, use it as the tool it was designed to be, to help you work through the school years. :)
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1
Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

I agree with Dawn that we are blessed as homeschoolers to have flexibility, and that ECC is especially easy to flex. I wanted to add a few details in case they are helpful.

First, ECC schedules just 34 weeks. You can skip the option to add two additional weeks on the country of your choice. Because there are technically about 39 weeks between 9/1 and 6/1, families might have more wiggle room than they realize.

Second, we followed our local school calendar at our house, and at this time in November, students would just be approaching the end of the first quarter of the school year. That means you would be on about Week 8 out of a total of 34 weeks (our state has already had a few days off for teacher convention etc.). It sounds like this is just where you are at -- so it doesn't need to feel like very late in the school year yet.

My family's second semester started on the last days of January (1/28/21 at our local schools this year) and continued through the first week of June. There are almost 19 weeks during that time frame, and you only need to accomplish 17 weeks of assignments.

Third, if you are considering a year-round schedule, you might enjoy the schedule shared by Marie Hazell: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15890&p=103182#p103182

Hope that helps!
Julie
Jessica

Unread post by Jessica »

Thank you both so much! After looking at things a little more and reading your posts I think it's safe to say it was a little early for me to feel like we were so behind. I may decide to skip a country or condense our 3 weeks in Brazil down to just 2 and gain us a week but right now it does look like we are right on track. I am finding the flexibility of MFW fits very nicely with how my kiddos like to learn. They love listening to someone read to them and I have found that they seem to be taking in all the information really well.
Reading your posts and suggestions were very helpful for me, especially to realize that we have just completed the first quarter with a lot of school year yet to go (we also follow our local public school schedule for the most part)! I feel like I've gained some level ground again and put things into perspective. Thank you both!
Jessica
Mom to Peyton (11) and Vivienne (9)