Conversations with God -- Minutes with Marie

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Marie

Conversations with God -- Minutes with Marie

Unread post by Marie »

Most of us are pretty confident that God hears us. After all, He is God, isn’t He?

But, we’re a bit unsure about God speaking to us. How exactly does God speak to us? How can we know it’s His voice and not our thoughts?

One way that God consistently speaks to me is through my daily Bible reading schedule. I don’t know how God arranges it, but something in what I am scheduled to read that day often speaks to a question that’s been in my heart.

Here’s an example. One morning I woke up thinking, I haven’t really been feeling a lot of joy lately. Why is that? Since God hears my every thought, He heard that and He even had an answer waiting for me.

An hour later, when I sat down to read the Bible passage scheduled for that day, a verse jumped out at me. I knew God was trying to tell me something.
  • “Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.” James 1:2 (NLT).

That wasn’t the answer I expected! We all prefer joy to troubles. But God’s answer to me was clear: The trials, the hard things, the pain can be wasted. Or we can see them through God’s eyes as an opportunity for great joy. That phrase “great joy” is really encouraging.

It may be a difficult habit to develop in the beginning, but it’s worth spending time each day reading the Word. As you read, remember that this is a conversation. Begin by asking God to speak to you through His Word. As you read, be an active listener. But don’t stop there. Journal your part of the conversation, your thoughts, to God. He loves to hear your thoughts, your questions, your worries, your joys.

Join us as we read through the entire Bible (free blog) https://www.journeyeveryday.com