Science in ECC

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
jaimejac

Science in ECC

Unread post by jaimejac »

When the student creates science sheets from Living World Encyclopedia- is that considered "Notebooking" ? And is that considered "notebooking" in the Charlotte Mason sense of notebooking?

I've been concerned about what seems like the lack of "living books" in the science in ECC and considering supplementing. I'm probably going to drop POE as I will be doing ECC with a 3rd grader next year. But even just using encyclopedia seems a little too textbook - y.

But then I was reading about CM's approach to notebooking and it occurred to me that may be the reasoning behind the science sheets for Living World.

Just wanted to get others' thoughts.

Thanks!
Jaime
Julie - Staff

Re: Science in ECC

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

Yes, the science in ECC includes several things -- Properties of Ecosystems (POE), Living World Encyclopedia, activities in the ECC Teacher's Manual, Nature Walks, and Book Basket suggestions.

Students create a Nature Notebook page once a week as well as their own notebook page on days when no other pages are assigned. Of course, this would be easy for families to continue doing each day; however, on many days there will already be conversation questions after POE readings (found in the Teacher's Manual) and extra hands-on experiments (some with a Student Sheet), so no notebook page is specifically required.

The POE science book fits nicely with Marie's design to learn about a different biome as you "visit" each continent --- rain forests, deserts, grasslands, oceans, lakes, etc. POE also adds a Biblical perspective which might not be found in other books (it is published by Answers in Genesis).

The first few chapters in POE can be a big overview for younger students, so the optional Complete Book of Animals is also scheduled for 2nd-3rd graders who prefer to focus on animals from around the world. However, younger students will still enjoy the hands-on activities in POE and other scheduled science activities. Book Basket will also have suggestions on each biome for younger students.

Once you get to the individual biomes in POE (starting with Forests in the U.S.), younger students may have more interest in the readings. There are notes about that in the ECC Teacher's Manual. Interest may also increase as young students mature over the year.

Hopefully that can get the conversation started!
Julie