Failing to Finish...again

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
LemonadeLover

Failing to Finish...again

Unread post by LemonadeLover »

I can't seem to stay focused and keep the momentum going. I spread ECC over 2 years and still didn't finish. Then we didn't get far in CTG last year either. My eldest (going into 6th grade) loves history/geography and is super disappointed that I'm not managing this well. I've got 5 kids, and teaching boys to read and keeping an eye on the toddler & preschooler really consumes my attention. Plus I have a super hard time sitting down to teach when the house is constantly a mess. Most everyone is doing really well in Math, and my husband teaches Science on his off days.

I feel like it'd be a waste of money to not continue with CTG, but then I risk my daughter missing out on part of the cycle at the end. At what age would you trust a child to read the teachers manual themselves and self-direct their learning? I don't want to hold her back. She's a very avid reader and loves the topics. Also, should I have her finish her grade 5 language arts that she's not even halfway through, before moving up to the grade 6 book?
Wife of Mr. Visionary for 13 years
Mom of 5 kiddos: DD(11), DS(10), DS(8), DD(4), DD(2)
2020: CTG & Buying/Remodeling our first house
2019: ECC & Readjusting to American life after 6 years overseas
2018: ECC...Life Interrupted
Kellijo

Re: Failing to Finish...again

Unread post by Kellijo »

Hi Lemonadelover,

First, let me say that I would give yourself grace since you have a lot going on right now. Having that many children with 2 that are very young is a lot to handle. You sound a lot like me as far as not "feeling quite right" when the house is in disarray. I know I always feel so much better when the house and laundry, etc. are organized.

I'm going to post a link to a blog post with some really good information. This blog has some good information from David Hazell of MFW.

https://www.tinasdynamichomeschoolplus. ... chool-day/

As far as where you are now in the cycle and not finishing, how far did you getin CTG? How far did your daughter get in the language arts book? Knowing this will help with advice.

Kelli
jaimejac

Unread post by jaimejac »

Agreed, I try to keep in mind what my priorities are, and more than that, what God wants my priorities to be - God, family, home and then academics. I love MFW and I love being a homeschool mom and all the planning and fun stuff that goes along with it. BUT I can easily lose perspective and let school become an idol if I let it. I'm sure you know this, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded - your children are still learning even when you are not doing "school". And I try to remind myself that it is more important to me that their heart and character be right than that they have completed everything "on time." Hope this helps!

Take care,
Jaime
Kellijo

Unread post by Kellijo »

That is such wise advise, Jaime. I completely agree with you.

Kelli